PDA

View Full Version : Vikings @ Steelers Prediction Thread

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 09:53 AM
The more I think about this game the more I think it will be a shoot out just like the Vikes had with the Rats last week.

But Heinz Field is being re-sodded (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/local/localUrl?urlId=2146869), so on the other hand, that sod has the potential to be loose, causing footing problems affecting all aspects of the game.

They've got injuries (Winfield may not play, Peterson will play, but his ankle injury could affect him) and we've got injuries (Kirschke left the Browns game with a neck injury but will play, Troy hurt his knee on the pick but finished the game against the Browns, Mendy was limited in practice due to his left knee) so who knows what kind of effect, if any, they will have.

Favre is the master of the dink and dunk...but take a deep shot here and there...offense and that's what I expect to see from the Vikes, with a good dose of run mixed in. Dick LeBeau is going to have to dial up a way for the secondary to cover the receivers a bit more closely so the pressure has time to get to Favre.

Ben is showing that he can sling it with the best of them but against this Vikings front 4 they (the OC and the OL) are going to have to find a way to give him time to find the open receivers. Of course we all know Ben can do that himself too, but not every time.

Turnovers will hurt dearly, so the Steelers must protect the ball as if they are protecting the lives of their children.

Weather should not be a factor for either QB regardless of what Ma Nature throws out there.

I still think this is going to be a high scoring affair with a lot of passing from both sides. Both QBs will get their yards, but I expect both run Ds to pretty much neutralize the run games. So passing will be the difference.

Playing at home I expect the Steelers to have the slight advantage in that regard.

The Steelers pass this very tough test to the tune of:

Steelers - 38
Vikings - 34

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Down to the wire.

Steelers 28
Vikings 27

DkBlue
10-22-2009, 10:14 AM
The more I think about this game the more I think it will be a shoot out just like the Vikes had with the Rats last week.

But Heinz Field is being re-sodded (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/local/localUrl?urlId=2146869), so on the other hand, that sod has the potential to be loose, causing footing problems affecting all aspects of the game.

They've got injuries (Winfield may not play, Peterson will play, but his ankle injury could affect him) and we've got injuries (Kirschke left the Browns game with a neck injury but will play, Troy hurt his knee on the pick but finished the game against the Browns, Mendy was limited in practice due to his left knee) so who knows what kind of effect, if any, they will have.

Favre is the master of the dink and dunk...but take a deep shot here and there...offense and that's what I expect to see from the Vikes, with a good dose of run mixed in. bad word LeBeau is going to have to dial up a way for the secondary to cover the receivers a bit more closely so the pressure has time to get to Favre.

Ben is showing that he can sling it with the best of them but against this Vikings front 4 they (the OC and the OL) are going to have to find a way to give him time to find the open receivers. Of course we all know Ben can do that himself too, but not every time.

Turnovers will hurt dearly, so the Steelers must protect the ball as if they are protecting the lives of their children.

Weather should not be a factor for either QB regardless of what Ma Nature throws out there.

I still think this is going to be a high scoring affair with a lot of passing from both sides. Both QBs will get their yards, but I expect both run Ds to pretty much neutralize the run games. So passing will be the difference.

Playing at home I expect the Steelers to have the slight advantage in that regard.

The Steelers pass this very tough test to the tune of:

Steelers - 38
Vikings - 34

I agree with most of your post with one caveat. I think it is time this Steeler team woke up and laid a good old fashioned Black and Gold beating on a good team. They are way too talented to allow teams to hang in the way they have.

We are all falling into this Fantasy Football crap mode. It is time to break some bones and dominate.

SteelCrazy
10-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Steelers- 30
Vikings - 24 IN OVERTIME!!! Yea Baby!!!!

Steeler Expat
10-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm making the trip all the way from Lima, Peru! Admittedly it's to attend a wedding on the 31st but I figured why not get there a week earlier to take in a Steeler game! I leave tonight and I can't wait!

Anyway, I see this as a close high scoring game as well. The Steelers take a 31-20 lead late into the game and the Vikings close the gap and mount a late but failed comeback.

Vikings 28
Steelers 31
Primanti Sandwiches Consumed Over/Under: 2 (take the over)

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
our beloved stillers 30
purple people eaters 17

big ben has 400 yds again, but it will be underminded to brett favres 3 interceptions.

proudpittsburgher
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Steelers 33, Vikings 30.

Skippy redeems himself with a game-winning 49 yarder with 3 second remaining on the clock.

Then he proceeds to get arrested after celebrating the game winning kick by urinating ont he field.

RKSteel
10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Steelers win. I'm thinking it comes down to who has the ball last, with the Steelers using a short passing game to move the ball and control the clock.

Harrsion, strip/sack of Farve to ice the game.

Steelers 28
Vikings 24

SteelBucks
10-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I might feel different if this game was in Minnesota, but we're home so.....

Steelers - 27
Vikings - 17

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't see Winfield playing and I have a feeling AP (If he plays at all) will not be himself. Favre's style plays right into the Steelers. He likes to go vertical and he holds the ball for his WRs to work (Sound familiar?). Favre has been very "Un-Favre'ish" and has taken care of the football. I think more will be put on his plate this game in the passing game than all season. Down to the wire with the Vikings needing a TD to tie...But the Steelers D shows up...Finally!!!

Steelers-31
Vikings-24

Iron Shiek
10-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Just because its good teams involved, doesn't mean it has to be close.

I say Steelers 30 - Vikes 13

We finally put together 60 minutes of sound, technical football.

drprwnap
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I see many people with the Steelers scoring over 30 points. I totally agree. We must score over 30 because I don't think we will hold the Vikes under 30. That is not a slam at the defense but, let's face it, we've had trouble stopping the Lions (and let the clowns score an offensive TD!).
Then again, I was talking to a Vikes fan at work and he said they had 3 strikes going into the game:
Strike 1-away game
Strike 2-no dome
Strike 3-grass
So who the hell knows??? Maybe we don't need to score over 30?

Uncle Rico
10-22-2009, 01:51 PM
On ESPN last night they mentioned that the Vikings defense has given up more 4th quarter passing yards than any other team in the league. That is a recipe for another Big Ben 4th quarter comeback.

Steelers 30

Vikings 28

flippy
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Steelers 38 - Vikings 13

It's gonna be a blowout.

Wolfhound45
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Down to the wire.

Have to agree. This is going to be a barn burner/nail biter/heart stopper with lots of offense.

Steelers 31
Vikings 27

AngryAsian
10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
38 - 10

STEELERS WIN!!!

fezziwig
10-22-2009, 10:29 PM
pick-em

pfelix73
10-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Steelers 1
Vikings 0

Seriously-

Steelers 29
Vikings 24

:tt1

AkronSteel
10-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Steelers 31
Vikings 16

I see this as a trap game for the Vikings to be honest, they are coming off an emotional last second win at home and will be traveling to Green Bay next week for the rematch against the Packers. I could see the Vikings not bringing their "A" game to the Burgh. Plus Favre is due for a bad game, he really hasn't had one this year. I could see him having an off day on Sunday!!! Just a thought???

RuthlessBurgher
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Steelers 31
Vikings 16

I see this as a trap game for the Vikings to be honest, they are coming off an emotional last second win at home and will be traveling to Green Bay next week for the rematch against the Packers. I could see the Vikings not bringing their "A" game to the Burgh. Plus Favre is due for a bad game, he really hasn't had one this year. I could see him having an off day on Sunday!!! Just a thought???

I don't know about that logic. The Chiefs are a potential trap game. The Raiders. The Bucs. Teams like that who can potentially sneak up on you if you aren't paying attention. Playing the defending champs in their place wouldn't be a trap game. It's a five-star matchup (because we're in it).

Jooser
10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
34-24 Stillers

Discipline of Steel
10-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Vikings have a patchwork secondary and Ben is going to bomb them. Forget field position and the running game, sorry folks. We will stop AP all day. Once we get up a few score, Favre will revert to desperation mode and heave a couple picks as our D has a memorable day. Good guys finally make a statement with a borderline blowout, 27-10.

frankthetank1
10-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Steelers 31
Vikings 16

I don't know about that logic. The Chiefs are a potential trap game. The Raiders. The Bucs. Teams like that who can potentially sneak up on you if you aren't paying attention. Playing the defending champs in their place wouldn't be a trap game. It's a five-star matchup (because we're in it).

since the 70's the steelers eliminated ever being a trap game for any team. if anything teams are more motivated to play the steelers.

BURGH86STEEL
10-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Steelers 31
Vikes 28

buckeyehoppy
10-24-2009, 02:35 PM
One of these days, I'm going to be proven right when I say that Ben is gonna throw for 500 yards and 5 or 6 TDs. Probably won't be this week, but Ben will be somewhere in the ballpark against a pass D that isn't fabulous.

APete at less than 100% is still better than virtually any RB in the league. He still must be accounted for. And there are a few others who are banged up, but I really don't see that as being a big factor.

Glad this is a homer. But the bottom line is that teams that come into Heinz undefeated generally don't get such a warm welcome...and they play to reflect that. Add that the Steelers need a strong showing going into a bye week and that they need to have a "statement" game against strong opposition and the signs point to the Steelers getting a much needed big win.

X-factor: the Steelers apparent inability to protect the ball and the Ds inability to wrest ball control away from the opponent.

Thus, I will post two scores based on the x-factor.

Correct the issues with the x-factor:
Steelers 42, Vikings 24

Allow the x-factor to be an issue:
Vikings 34, Steelers 28

THE STEELERS WIN IF THEY PROTECT THE ROCK!!!

NKySteeler
10-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I predict "Pain!"... For Brett & Company.....

True Fan
10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
19-16 VIKES

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2009, 11:14 PM
19-16 VIKES

What a racist prediction! You only think we are going to lose because we wearing our black jerseys at home, right?

(For the record, I am kidding. It's a joke. Ha ha. I made a funny.)

fordfixer
10-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I predict "Pain!"... For Brett & Company.....

That's what you always predict :lol:

ColumbusSteelerFan
10-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Can't watch any of the game today (last week in current job so last shot at needed OT money) but should be on the chat. Old man Favre will wonder why he came back after today. Steelers win with a nice performance by all teams, 24-10.

SteelBucks
10-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Steelers - 27
Vikings - 17

Just saying....

:mrgreen:

bostonsteeler
10-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Steelers - 27
Vikings - 17

Just saying....

Blind squirrel etc.
Did you predict the D scoring 14 of our points?

It's all good; I'll take a W anyway :tt2

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Steelers - 27
Vikings - 17

Just saying....

Nice!

Discipline of Steel
10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Vikings have a patchwork secondary and Ben is going to bomb them. Forget field position and the running game, sorry folks. We will stop AP all day. Once we get up a few score, Favre will revert to desperation mode and heave a couple picks as our D has a memorable day. Good guys finally make a statement with a borderline blowout, 27-10.

If it wasnt for Harvins KR TD, mine would have been looking good xcept for BB. Gold Medal to Steeler Buck though :tt1 :tt1 :tt1