PDA

View Full Version : Steelers kicker Reed apologizes to teammates

fordfixer
10-22-2009, 02:39 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD9BFNIA81 (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h-owvfCXhyUq5Ad6pj7JdvwPdXmgD9BFNIA81)

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
whatever, he is sorry for the embarassment that has been shed on him and more importantly the team...

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Who cares? He is hopefully gone at the end of the season

NC Steeler Fan
10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder where Greg Warren was in all this.

All the times I've ever seen Jeff out drinking in Latrobe, he and Warren are practically joined at the hip. However, I always found it odd since Warren seems to be a lot quieter and less boisterous than Reed.

I wonder if Warren got tired of his antics and Spaeth was his new running buddy?

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 12:17 PM

The only other kickers the Steelers have employed since moving to Heinz Field have been Kris Brown (who missed 14 kicks in 16 games in 2001) and Todd Peterson (who missed 9 kicks in 10 games in 2002).

Kris kicked well in his first couple of years here when we were still at Three Rivers, and has kicked well at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Peterson kicked well for the Seahawks and Chiefs before coming here and kicked well for the Niners and Falcons after leaving here.

Since both were solid both before as well as after kicking at Heinz, it appears that the field conditions got to their heads while they kicked here. On the other hand, when it comes to kicking in difficult situations, Reed has icewater in his veins (and yes, probably some vodka as well).

Performances like the one in Chicago are a rarity, and his legal transgressions are overblown (I think the national media is running with it because they think it is funny that there is a kicker who may think he is some kind of a badass...if the a backup guard for the Jaguars got in the same legal troubles, I doubt that anyone would have heard much at all about it).

We have a kicker who has proven that he can be successful in what is likely the most difficult place to kick in the league. You just don't kick a guy like that to curb, even if he can be an eccentric nutjob much of the time.

ikestops85
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM

The only other kickers the Steelers have employed since moving to Heinz Field have been Kris Brown (who missed 14 kicks in 16 games in 2001) and Todd Peterson (who missed 9 kicks in 10 games in 2002).

Kris kicked well in his first couple of years here when we were still at Three Rivers, and has kicked well at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Peterson kicked well for the Seahawks and Chiefs before coming here and kicked well for the Niners and Falcons after leaving here.

Since both were solid both before as well as after kicking at Heinz, it appears that the field conditions got to their heads while they kicked here. On the other hand, when it comes to kicking in difficult situations, Reed has icewater in his veins (and yes, probably some vodka as well).

Performances like the one in Chicago are a rarity, and his legal transgressions are overblown (I think the national media is running with it because they think it is funny that there is a kicker who may think he is some kind of a badass...if the a backup guard for the Jaguars got in the same legal troubles, I doubt that anyone would have heard much at all about it).

We have a kicker who has proven that he can be successful in what is likely the most difficult place to kick in the league. You just don't kick a guy like that to curb, even if he can be an eccentric nutjob much of the time.

I agree ... replacing Reed would not be as easy as some here think. At some point he does have to grow up and act like an adult. I know kickers have that mystique of being a little Abby Normal but he can't keep having these run-ins with the police if he wants to keep his job.

aggiebones
10-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree. I can't for the life of me figure out why some people (names beginning with the letter O) are so worked up about this. Its a bump in the road. An embarrassment for the Steelers? Come on, the Rooneys understand the nature of the business they are in. They've had their share of player problems to deal with and don't take them personally. They are a percentage of the population and in this country (including da Burgh I think), we don't cut off a guys hand for stealing gum.
Maybe if this is such an embarrassing incident, we should close the bars downtown cause many a foolish thing are done down there. The Rooney's never believe their players above the general populace and luckily aren't' knee jerk folks. And as has been said many times, we are lucky they are running things and not us.
That said, Reed may or not be back as the contract numbers weren't matching up. Money is tight, so he could be gone. I hope we get someone as consistent as he has been on the field.

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree. I can't for the life of me figure out why some people (names beginning with the letter O) are so worked up about this. Its a bump in the road. An embarrassment for the Steelers? Come on, the Rooneys understand the nature of the business they are in. They've had their share of player problems to deal with and don't take them personally. They are a percentage of the population and in this country (including da Burgh I think), we don't cut off a guys hand for stealing gum.
Maybe if this is such an embarrassing incident, we should close the bars downtown cause many a foolish thing are done down there. The Rooney's never believe their players above the general populace and luckily aren't' knee jerk folks. And as has been said many times, we are lucky they are running things and not us.
That said, Reed may or not be back as the contract numbers weren't matching up. Money is tight, so he could be gone. I hope we get someone as consistent as he has been on the field.

I guess people with names "beginning with the letter O" still believe there is a difference between right and wrong and the ability to kick FGs for the Steelers shouldn't give someone a pass.

I really hope people with names beginning with other letters aren't raising children to situational interpretaions of right and wrong. That explain alot about society today though.

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
On the way home from Pittsburgh, we stopped at a Sheetz to gas up and grab drinks. I made sure to explain to my 8 year old son the importance of being kind to towel dispensers. :wink:

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
On the way home from Pittsburgh, we stopped at a Sheetz to gas up and grab drinks. I made sure to explain to my 8 year old son the importance of being kind to towel dispensers. :wink:

You're obviously a good father and if you continue that tact your son will grow up with a sense of respect for others property versus thinking it is OK to have a drunk frat boy, "wild man" mentality and disprespect towards others as long as you can kick a field goal.

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM

I guess people with names "beginning with the letter O" still believe there is a difference between right and wrong and the ability to kick FGs for the Steelers shouldn't give someone a pass.

I really hope people with names beginning with other letters aren't raising children to situational interpretaions of right and wrong. That explain alot about society today though.

i agree with you, i think once is enough to cause embarassment, so after he kicked the crap out of a towel dispencer and made a fool of a sheetz employee doing her job, that was enough for me, but now he one ups it and starts with a police officer.
I know a bunch of people that drink and get drunk (i am not one) but when they do they dont get arrested, and they are just average joes, a pittsburgh steeler has gotten arrested in pittsburgh twice within a few months, so yea i would say he is an embarassment, and a definite embarassment to the steelers organization, if you think it is not than you are lying, because if the bengals or cowboys or anyone else had thier kicker arrested you know that all of us would laugh at it and call the organization a joke. I love my steelers, dont think that i am knocking them, im just dissapointed in a few players...

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 03:01 PM

i agree with you, i think once is enough to cause embarassment, so after he kicked the crap out of a towel dispencer and made a fool of a sheetz employee doing her job, that was enough for me, but now he one ups it and starts with a police officer.
I know a bunch of people that drink and get drunk (i am not one) but when they do they dont get arrested, and they are just average joes, a pittsburgh steeler has gotten arrested in pittsburgh twice within a few months, so yea i would say he is an embarassment, and a definite embarassment to the steelers organization, if you think it is not than you are lying, because if the bengals or cowboys or anyone else had thier kicker arrested you know that all of us would laugh at it and call the organization a joke. I love my steelers, dont think that i am knocking them, im just dissapointed in a few players...

Reed probably would be the type of person who would be the first to b!tch that the same cops he got in the face of weren't there when someone put his drunk face in the dirt and a gun to the back of his head a robbed his overpaid a$$. At least he would have money to buy new pants because the alcohol powered "tough guy" would probably wet himself.

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 03:08 PM
At the same Sheetz I mentioned earlier, when I went to wash my hands in their bathroom, I noticed that the cold water handle was broken off. I thought to myself "I wonder if Jeff Reed burned his hands in this sink and took it out on the cold water handle for not doing its job?" This was before the recent public intoxication charges came about, by the way (actually, now that I think about it, it was around 9:00 or so that we made this pit stop on our way home after the game, so the incident was happening at roughly that same time back in Pittsburgh).

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
At the same Sheetz I mentioned earlier, when I went to wash my hands in their bathroom, I noticed that the cold water handle was broken off. I thought to myself "I wonder if Jeff Reed burned his hands in this sink and took it out on the cold water handle for not doing its job?" This was before the recent public intoxication charges came about, by the way (actually, now that I think about it, it was around 9:00 or so that we made this pit stop on our way home after the game, so the incident was happening at roughly that same time back in Pittsburgh).

coincidence...........................i think not.... :lol:

aggiebones
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Again, he didn't throw his wife down a flight of stairs or rob someone or strangle his dog or any of a million things that would be a problem. Hell he wasn't even driving.
He mouthed off to a cop giving his buddy a PU, which is a joke more than anything. He plays football, he's not a preacher or judge. Get over yourself and your holier than though attitude. Save it for a situation that warrants it.

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
If this is a "lose your job worthy" offense I'm betting there are many here who would have been fired at some point...some more than once even.

Move along...nothing to see here.

fezziwig
10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I too want him off the team if he can't control his innner child. I too wish he would remain on the team due to his kicking ability. It's a tough spot for all. We seem to all take pride in the Rooneys and how the Steelers are run. It is always the other teams that self destruct with head case players.
Reed is a different situation due to his position. Not too many kickers out their and not any if known can handle the winds or demons of Heinz field.
Maybe we just happened to have two kickers prior to Reed that just hit a funk at the same odd time ?
Anyway, now that I wear my Reed football jersey at Sheets in the morning, you can bet the coffee is always hot and they allow me to move to the head of the line.
I pitty the fool that messes with a man wearing number 3 on his jersey.