PDA

View Full Version : Refs told not to throw flags ?

BATMAN
10-21-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm starting to think that refs are given instructions on, not to throw flags while defenders are trying to sack the quarterbacks.

All this holding that is going on and no flags thrown ? Did Harrison and Woodely both forget how to get to the QB ?

I have a feeling and due in large part with Shady Brady being knocked out for a season, the NFl wants these QB's treated like kittens.

Discipline of Steel
10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Im not so sure about a complete conspiracy this year but I would agree with a gradual shift away from violence and intimidation. What was the most recent offense by the officials? 'Taking the QB forcibly to the ground?' They are training the officials to microinterpret more and more split second occurrances. Of course Lambert was the first to complain about this with his 'QBs should wear dresses' comment so it has been going on for a while. But then again, he got away with flinging Cliff Harris to the ground in the Super Bowl so things have DEFINATELY changed. Imagine the media outcry these days for an incident like that... Happened to James Harrison when he alpha maled that Francisco wussy in this years SB.

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 12:22 AM
For what it is worth, James Harrison has 6 sacks in 6 games this season, so he is on the same pace as last year when he got 16 sacks in the season. Plus he's already forced 4 fumbles, which above the pace of the last two seasons, where he forced 7 fumbles each season. I think Harrison is playing quite well, actually.

Woodley was right behind Harrison for much of last season (finishing with 11.5 sacks on the year), but he is lagging behind now with only 2 sacks this season. It seems even worse when you consider that he added 2 sacks in each of the playoff games last season. He's got to step it up.

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 07:51 AM
For what it is worth, James Harrison has 6 sacks in 6 games this season, so he is on the same pace as last year when he got 16 sacks in the season. Plus he's already forced 4 fumbles, which above the pace of the last two seasons, where he forced 7 fumbles each season. I think Harrison is playing quite well, actually.

Woodley was right behind Harrison for much of last season (finishing with 11.5 sacks on the year), but he is lagging behind now with only 2 sacks this season. It seems even worse when you consider that he added 2 sacks in each of the playoff games last season. He's got to step it up.

Agree that Woodley is lagging but you have to factor in Timmons who I think has 2. Typically we don't get that kind of production from the ILB position. IMO that is a dimension that Timmons adds.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Just a guess, but I bet Woodley is heavier than last year due to partying it up after the superbowl and I also know that he is being dropped into coverage a heck of a lot more this season. Add those two up and he will have a down year sack wise.

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Just a guess, but I bet Woodley is heavier than last year due to partying it up after the superbowl and I also know that he is being dropped into coverage a heck of a lot more this season. Add those two up and he will have a down year sack wise.

i think your right, he has definetly put on some weight it looks like, he was always a big strong looking guy, i think the refs are fine calling random holding penalties after an incompletion, so that the team gets another down but only has to move back 10 yards..they could call holding on every play, i just get upset when they call it on a ticky tacky play...

papillon
10-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Harrison's statistics look good, but, I don't think his play is on par with last year's. Maybe, it's because as a unit they aren't as dominating or they seem to fall asleep for periods of time during a game; but, his production isn't matching his play. In this case the production looks better than the actual play, but that's the opinion of a layman to football.

Pappy

ikestops85
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Harrison's statistics look good, but, I don't think his play is on par with last year's. Maybe, it's because as a unit they aren't as dominating or they seem to fall asleep for periods of time during a game; but, his production isn't matching his play. In this case the production looks better than the actual play, but that's the opinion of a layman to football.

Pappy

I think Harrison started out the year not being as dominant as he was last year -- in other words his name wasn't called on every other defensive snap. I think he has picked it up the last 2 games. He made an unbelievable play in the Stains game on a screen pass against 2 blockers to make the tackle. You couldn't see who made the play when it happened because the blockers obscured the number but I knew it had to be #92. Sure enough, when they unpiled Jimmy Hate was on the bottom. The guy is a true beast.

fezziwig
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I too thought Woodley put on some pounds. Do you remember Delton Hall ?

I have a feeling, once this team/defense clicks, we will hit fourth gear at the right time and eventually cruise into 5th gear come playoffs and for the Super Bowl.

Oh yeah, for the question at hand, I think the refs are protecting the QB's more. Some of the holds on Harrison are so obvious, they have to be controlling the games.

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I too thought Woodley put on some pounds. Do you remember Delton Hall ?

I have a feeling, once this team/defense clicks, we will hit fourth gear at the right time and eventually cruise into 5th gear come playoffs and for the Super Bowl.

Oh yeah, for the question at hand, I think the refs are protecting the QB's more. Some of the holds on Harrison are so obvious, they have to be controlling the games.

and i find it odd that announcers are out to dispute calls, like pass interference, or roughing the passer, face mask, late hit, but i hardly ever hear them make any mention of harrison getting held, and it is sooo obvious, maybe its just me??

Mel Blount's G
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
To me, it isn't just that he's held, it's how he's held. They often wrap a hand or a forearm or a even a bicep right around his neck and darn near tear his head off of his shoulders. There often not even subtle questionable "holds" but full-on headlocks. They could make several calls on those:

Holding
Illegal hands to the face
Personal Foul, unsportsmanlike conduct (for what appears to be an attempted chokehold)

I wonder if periera (sp?) and his cronies have figured that because deebo's low center of gravity and reduced height give him an advantage when rushing taller lineman that they are gonna just allow those alternative blocking techniques to those who face deebo. This then, as alluded to by others here, will also help the league's mandate of doing whatever it takes to keep the dress-wearers in the game

Btw, Lambert mighta got away w/ an unsportsmanlike penalty when he threw down Stiff Harris but Harris woulda earned a "taunting" penalty in today's game for his exchange with Gerela after he missed the FG

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
To me, it isn't just that he's held, it's how he's held. They often wrap a hand or a forearm or a even a bicep right around his neck and darn near tear his head off of his shoulders. There often not even subtle questionable "holds" but full-on headlocks. They could make several calls on those:

Holding
Personal Foul, unsportsmanlike conduct (for what appears to be an attempted chokehold)

I wonder if periera (sp?) and his cronies have figured that because deebo's low center of gravity and reduced height give him an advantage when rushing taller lineman that they are gonna just allow those alternative blocking techniques to those who face deebo. This then, as alluded to by others here, will also help the league's mandate of doing whatever it takes to keep the dress-wearers in the game

Btw, Lambert mighta got away w/ an unsportsmanlike penalty when he threw down Stiff Harris but Harris woulda earned a "taunting" penalty in today's game for his exchange with Gerela after he missed the FG

With regards to the clothesline "block", the NFL made some kind of weird statement about the rusher's feet...if his feet are in front it's one thing and if they're behind him it's something else.

It was so stupid I can't even remember which is considered holding and which isn't.

fezziwig
10-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Holding

$$$$$$$$$$

NWNewell
10-22-2009, 10:56 PM
I think some people take this ref/comish conspiricy theory too far.

Remember one of Lambert's greatest quotes? "The ref said he threw the flag because I hit the quaterback too hard." "Did you?", says a reporter. Lambert says, "I hit him as hard as I could."

People were complaining about roughing the passer even then.

The game today is played with bigger, faster, stronger players. Yet, the human bones, tendends, and orgains still can only take the same amount of punishment. Lambert was one of the thoughest players in the game in his day... was he even over 200lbs?

I can understand the increased concern for player's safety and health in today'ss game. Yes, sometimes I think they take it a little too far and expect a little too much from players being able to control their bodies when being pushed around and blocked into other players. But over all as long as they call it even both ways, I don't think the rules and refs have taken away from the game too much. And I can't blame them for erroring on the side of safety, espeically when it comes to the neck and head areas (legs and knees aren't going to permenatly disable a person... those kinds of plays, "Brady rule", should not be called as quick as they sometimes are)

Djfan
10-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I can understand the increased concern for player's safety and health in today'ss game. Yes, sometimes I think they take it a little too far and expect a little too much from players being able to control their bodies when being pushed around and blocked into other players. But over all as long as they call it even both ways, I don't think the rules and refs have taken away from the game too much. And I can't blame them for erroring on the side of safety, espeically when it comes to the neck and head areas (legs and knees aren't going to permenatly disable a person... those kinds of plays, "Brady rule", should not be called as quick as they sometimes are)

OK NWN, fair enough. My only objection is that it is inconsistant. Brady gets his hairdoo messed up and a flag is thrown. Ben and many others get pancaked and no flag. I hate that more than any thing.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Woodley does indeed look heavier and slower than last season, but I don't believe that he's been dropping into coverage more than last season (except for maybe this last game). It's just that his play has fallen off that much.

He did seem to be playing a little better the last couple of games, but, then again, it was the Clowns and the Lions we were up against. The game this weekend will be a good test for him.

JTP53609
10-23-2009, 12:11 PM

OK NWN, fair enough. My only objection is that it is inconsistant. Brady gets his hairdoo messed up and a flag is thrown. Ben and many others get pancaked and no flag. I hate that more than any thing.

yea ben does get beat up pretty good, but the worst one was last year in the afc championship game, we were in the red zone and ben stands strong and delivers an incomplete pass and jim leaonard puts both his elbows into bens back, it was not only unnecessary roughness, but it was late too....i still get pissed everytime i see it, that could of been bad...

Mister Pittsburgh
10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
One thing that irritates me, and I am noticing this more and more....but it seems that an offensive player can be down with a defender touching him but they always allow that one extra dude to come flying through and drill the dude anyway. Even if the whistle hasn't blown it shouldn't be allowed that a player has been tackled and is on the ground already and they allow someone to run as fast as they can, jump on top the dude, then roll off.

fordfixer
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
One thing that irritates me, and I am noticing this more and more....but it seems that an offensive player can be down with a defender touching him but they always allow that one extra dude to come flying through and drill the dude anyway. Even if the whistle hasn't blown it shouldn't be allowed that a player has been tackled and is on the ground already and they allow someone to run as fast as they can, jump on top the dude, then roll off.

That's the only way Ray Ray can get stats :lol: :lol:

NWNewell
10-23-2009, 03:10 PM

That I do agree with! The favortism and inconsistancy is one thing I find very annouying.

And don't get me wrong, there are some rules I don't really agree with. The intentions are there, but sometimes I think the excecution is a little off. But hey, it's by no means a perfect world. :Cheers

fezziwig
10-23-2009, 04:28 PM

That's the only way Ray Ray can get stats :lol: :lol:

:Clap