PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Winfield misses practice, may not play Sunday

SteelCrazy
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Injured Pro Bowl cornerback Antoine Winfield did not participate in practice today, according to the Minnesota Vikings' injury report.

Winfield sprained his right foot last weekend against the Baltimore Ravens, and Vikings coach Brad Childress said earlier today that he was waiting for the athletic trainers to let him know what Winfield was capable of doing in light of the injury.

"He's been in here from the early hours treating, and I'm sure he'll continue to do so," Childress said.

In the locker room, players didn't seem overly optimistic about Winfield's chances of playing Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Vikings starting linebacker Ben Leber said veteran backup cornerback Karl Paymah was put in a difficult spot against the Ravens.

"It was a tough position to put any cornerback in last week," Leber said. "The backups get marginal reps during the week, and to ask these guys to come in and play at a high level is a tough thing to do. No doubt, they have to do it.

"This is our first real test with him (Winfield) not being in the lineup. So that still remains to be seen."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13609513

Djfan
10-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Darn it!

Discipline of Steel
10-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Big Bens going to bomb those suckers. If we can control AP with our makeshift line, like others have done, we blow them out.

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Big Bens going to bomb those suckers. If we can control AP with our makeshift line, like others have done, we blow them out.

Provided that Starks can slow down Jared Allen somewhat and Kemo-Hartwig-Essex can reasonably handle the Williams wall inside. I think guys will be able to get open...I just hope Ben has time enough to find them. I acknowledge that our o-line has been surprisingly better than anyone expected, but they have not faced a d-line like Minnesota's yet. This will be a true test. The Vikings are tied for the league in sacks (incidentally, with our next opponent after next week's bye, the Broncos, with us in third place).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Does anyone know or remember if AP returned to the game after his ankle was rolled up on? I didn't see him back in but I haven't heard anything about the injury. He really limped off the field. I hope the guy is alright.

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
In oreder to win we are going to have to control the clock and it isn't going to be by running the ball. Running against the Vikings is exactly what they want you to do against their front 4. We are going to have to have a controlled short to medium range passing attack. If we do that we will control the clock and get them on their heels. Ben won't have time for 5 step drops and if he does try he will be sacked 4-5 times.

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
never wish injury upon anyone (unless it is pacman) but without their best player in the secondary, i expect the steelers would take advantage, like most have said, this is about our OLine, if they can HANDLE the pressure than look for a big day

SteelCrazy
10-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know or remember if AP returned to the game after his ankle was rolled up on? I didn't see him back in but I haven't heard anything about the injury. He really limped off the field. I hope the guy is alright.

...................Now the news is out that Adrian Peterson was limited in practice on Wednesday with a sprained ankle. Unlike Winfield, it's highly likely that Peterson will play on Sunday, but an ankle sprain is not the news the Vikings want to hear as they get ready to face the Steelers. If Peterson is healthy, he's the perfect weapon to attack a Steelers' run defense that is trying to recover from the loss of defensive end Aaron Smith. But if Peterson is limited in any way, it makes Steelers' coordinator Dick LeBeau's job much easier.

Read entire article at: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/21/adri ... ured-list/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/21/adrian-peterson-joins-antoine-winfield-on-injured-list/)

Oviedo
10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
never wish injury upon anyone (unless it is pacman) but without their best player in the secondary, i expect the steelers would take advantage, like most have said, this is about our OLine, if they can HANDLE the pressure than look for a big day

You are far more altruistic than I am. If it increases our chances to win and decreases their ability to hurt our players I would love for everyone of the to get a high ankle sprain before the game.

pfelix73
10-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Might make for a big day for Mr. Mewelde Moore....... Just a hunch.

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Might make for a big day for Mr. Mewelde Moore....... Just a hunch.

:tt1

Hmmm...would the former Viking D.C. give more opportunities to the former Viking RB this week?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-22-2009, 11:40 AM

...................Now the news is out that Adrian Peterson was limited in practice on Wednesday with a sprained ankle. Unlike Winfield, it's highly likely that Peterson will play on Sunday, but an ankle sprain is not the news the Vikings want to hear as they get ready to face the Steelers. If Peterson is healthy, he's the perfect weapon to attack a Steelers' run defense that is trying to recover from the loss of defensive end Aaron Smith. But if Peterson is limited in any way, it makes Steelers' coordinator bad word LeBeau's job much easier.

Read entire article at: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/21/adri ... ured-list/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/21/adrian-peterson-joins-antoine-winfield-on-injured-list/)
Thanks man! AP is a tuff SOB. I believe that was the ankle he injured earlier in the year. It didn't look pretty when it happened and he could barely make it off the field. Alot of respect to him if he suits up. I like the guys heart and how humble he is. I'm sure if he is running on it now he will play Sunday. It will be a good test to evaluate the run "D" minus Smith.