PDA

View Full Version : The "measurement"

JAR
10-21-2009, 07:26 PM
is going to be reviewed by Mike Pereira, HONFLO on NFLN Total Access. Coming up soon.

ghettoscott
10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
is going to be reviewed by Mike Pereira, HONFLO on NFLN Total Access. Coming up soon.
horrible call, i am glad it went our way....but horrible call. That was ALMOST as bad as the d-bag ref that over-ruled 43's interception v. the Colts in 05. I still get angry watching that call....(still FFWD Bettis' fumble, probably wont ever ever ever watch that again).

JAR
10-21-2009, 07:37 PM
horrible call, i am glad it went our way....but horrible call. That was ALMOST as bad as the d-bag ref that over-ruled 43's interception v. the Colts in 05. I still get angry watching that call....(still FFWD Bettis' fumble, probably wont ever ever ever watch that again).

The preview showed Pereira defending it, so we'll see what he says.

JAR
10-21-2009, 07:54 PM
He said it was because of the angle that we at home thought it wasn't a first down. He compared it to a similar call from last year where he admitted they were wrong by giving the first down because it was short.

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
He said it was because of the angle that we at home thought it wasn't a first down. He compared it to a similar call from last year where he admitted they were wrong by giving the first down because it was short.

Glad to hear he confirmed what some of us said right from the get go. :)

JTP53609
10-22-2009, 09:18 AM
the real funny thing is (and this can't be corrected) was the spot of the ball was a complete guess by the ref, there are about 5 guys on top of big ben and he just places the ball at a spot, we are all wondering about the measurement, but the spot of the ball is usually just a guess by refs...

ghettoscott
10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
good to hear. I feel better now... :tt2

proudpittsburgher
10-22-2009, 09:31 AM

We shouldn't feel better about it, because half of us don't believe him. What makes you think browns, pats*, Bungles fans believe him? Hell, we still get grief about the calls in SBXL, and the explanations for those were solid. The hold WAS a hold, the pushoff WAS pushoff. Most of us haven been watching NFL football for 20-30 years, and have yet to see a measurement look short, and have the team given the first down. I honestly don't see how some posters give the eyeroll at the people who question the call. The only solice I take in it was that I am fairly confident it didn't effect the outcome of the game.

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 09:35 AM

We shouldn't feel better about it, because half of us don't believe him. What makes you think browns, pats*, Bungles fans believe him? Hell, we still get grief about the calls in SBXL, and the explanations for those were solid. The hold WAS a hold, the pushoff WAS pushoff. Most of us haven been watching NFL football for 20-30 years, and have yet to see a measurement look short, and have the team given the first down. I honestly don't see how some posters give the eyeroll at the people who question the call. The only solice I take in it was that I am fairly confident it didn't effect the outcome of the game.

Some people also believe in little green men and that the world is controlled by free masons.

proudpittsburgher
10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Some people also believe in little green men and that the world is controlled by free masons.

Come on, D, seriously . . . if the roles were reversed, and the call went in favor of the Brownies, you would be pissed about it, right?

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 09:38 AM

Come on, D, seriously . . . if the roles were reversed, and the call went in favor of the Brownies, you would be pissed about it, right?

In all honesty man, no I wouldn't. I could see right away that the only angle we were shown was from behind the ball...and since it was a close measurement that angle will make it look short.

I'd be pissed about the Browns converting a 4th down on us, but not about the call.

proudpittsburgher
10-22-2009, 09:45 AM
[quote=ghettoscott]good to hear. I feel better now... :tt2

In all honesty man, no I wouldn't. I could see right away that the only angle we were shown was from behind the ball...and since it was a close measurement that angle will make it look short.

I'd be pissed about the Browns converting a 4th down on us, but not about the call.[/quote:1mah41lt]

Fair enough. I have to go now . .. I see little green men in my newsroom and I'm off to investigate. :lol:

anger 82&95
10-22-2009, 09:54 AM

Some people also believe in little green men and that the world is controlled by free masons.Please don't forget the Bilderbergers!

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 09:59 AM
[quote=ghettoscott]good to hear. I feel better now... :tt2

Please don't forget the Bilderbergers![/quote:236kmwu5]

I forgot about these guys too!

[youtube:236kmwu5]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WHB98m-ppw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WHB98m-ppw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:236kmwu5]

anger 82&amp;95
10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
[quote=proudpittsburgher][quote=ghettoscott]good to hear. I feel better now... :tt2

Please don't forget the Bilderbergers![/quote:f5q6qntm]

I forgot about these guys too!

[youtube:f5q6qntm]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WHB98m-ppw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WHB98m-ppw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:f5q6qntm][/quote:f5q6qntm]LOL! I think the “grassy knoll” shooter was recently identified as an underpants gnome.

ikestops85
10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
If I were a Stains fan I would be more upset with the spot of the ball than the call of a 1st down. I'm sorry but it would be very hard for the official to blow that call as long as he knew that the ball had to reach the stick as opposed to the last chain link. It's obvious he knew what to look for and he made his call. He doesn't blow that call if the ball was inches short which the camera appeared to show. Maybe it was a couple milimeters short but not inches -- or even one inch.

It's not a bad call in my book and it wouldn't have been if it had gone against the Steelers. Like I've said before I think we were given a very generous spot which enabled them to make the 1st down.

Starlifter
10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
has mike P ever showed up on NFLN and said 'we blew it'? he may have, i just don't recall. seems like it would be so shocking it would stick in my head......

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
has mike P ever showed up on NFLN and said 'we blew it'? he may have, i just don't recall. seems like it would be so shocking it would stick in my head......

I'd imagine after the Chargers-Broncos game last year in which Ed Hulkuli botched the fumble call at the end.

ikestops85
10-22-2009, 01:03 PM
He has quite a few times. The Denver -San Diego game last year was one already mentioned but he also said they blew the Troy interception in the Indy playoff game. He obviously shades things towards the officials but they are his boys so I can't blame him for that. All in all he admits the glaring mistakes.

Jom112
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I forget which site it was but for their power rankings they had the following line in Pittsburgh's ranking:

"Football is a game of inches, expect in Pittsburgh where they round up".

I laughed. It's against the Browns anyway so who really cares?

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Yes he has.

Some have been mentioned. One that hasn't was in regards to XLIII. He said had the officials seen Tonio's "LeBron" celebration where he used the ball as a prop they would have thrown the flag and there would have been a 15 yard penalty. But the celebration was delayed and the officials were setting up for the XP and didn't see it.

feltdizz
10-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I watched an sec game where the ref admitted making terrible game changing calls and I wonder... Do the beneficiaries believe the right call was made when a ref corrects himself a day later? Usually they do bt then use the "it was one play" excuse...

Listen to the refs explanation of the 1st down.. It's so long and so damn crazy only a fool would agree with his explanation. I'll take the call but any time my team is on defense I want the ref to make the wrong call and just give the simple explanation
of the ball being short of a 1st down.

Any Steeler fan who says they wouldn't pitch a fit is lying thru their butt cheeks.
I know refs are human so I will never gloss over a mistake when it helps
my team because the same one could hurt me
in the future.

stlrz d
10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I watched an sec game where the ref admitted making terrible game changing calls and I wonder... Do the beneficiaries believe the right call was made when a ref corrects himself a day later? Usually they do bt then use the "it was one play" excuse...

Listen to the refs explanation of the 1st down.. It's so long and so damn crazy only a fool would agree with his explanation. I'll take the call but any time my team is on defense I want the ref to make the wrong call and just give the simple explanation
of the ball being short of a 1st down.

Any Steeler fan who says they wouldn't pitch a fit is lying thru their butt cheeks.
I know refs are human so I will never gloss over a mistake when it helps
my team because the same one could hurt me
in the future.

No I wouldn't. I started a thread on it as it was happening because I could see immediately the camera angle was behind the ball. That is what the official was explaining at the press conference.

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2009, 07:33 PM

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_f0AcD_vh5u0/Sd-KGZiDWyI/AAAAAAAAGIE/sVD4OwWBHEY/Ace_Ventura_2.jpg

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/HPM/SM1093.jpg

Mel Blount's G
10-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Just thought I'd add that the league (was it peiria?) also came out publicly 2 years ago and said they missed a holding call in our playoff game against jax where Gerrard made that huge 4th down scramble which was a monumental and decisive play in that game. That's one of the very few times I remember them coming out t say that they should have called a penalty. That one really hurt cause it was a different game, and possibly a different season, if deebo isn't held and he brings down Gerrard short of the 1st or holding is called and they face a 4th and 20.

They also came out and said the refs were wrong last year in our regular season game against SD where they overturned troy's TD on the last play of the game. We won it anyway but they admitted they were wrong to have stopped the play and not allowed the action to continue (which resulted in 6 by Troy).