PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans aflutter about Roethlisberger air show

fordfixer
10-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Steelers fans aflutter about Roethlisberger air show

Mike DeCourcy
Sunday, Oct. 18, 2009 - 7:58 p.m. ET
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article ... r-air-show (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-18/steelers-fans-aflutter-about-roethlisberger-air-show)

PITTSBURGH — Usually when the football is in the air this much during a Steelers game, it's because the punters are getting a workout. In this city, passing is viewed with the kind of suspicion accorded such activities as imbibing alcohol or gambling at table games: A little is fine, but too much might kill you or break you. Perhaps both.
The numbers are gaudy, but Ben Roethlisberger isn't fooled by the Steelers' effort Sunday.
The numbers are gaudy, but Ben Roethlisberger isn't fooled by the Steelers' effort Sunday.

You could hear it in the questions asked in the Steelers' locker room following their 27-14 victory over the Browns. For instance, linebacker James Harrison was asked for his take on what the offense was doing "with all the passing and stuff."

Harrison offered a fairly direct response: "Whatever keeps the chains moving."

Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger moved them enough to train the down-marker guys for a marathon. He passed for a not-quite career-best 417 yards, only the second time in his career he threw for four bills. Receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes both crossed the 100-yard mark.

It was the kind of performance that would be celebrated in New Orleans or New England, but in New Alexandria and New Eagle and New Kensington they worry the Steelers were routinely stuffed by the NFL's worst run defense.

Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers generally has been a pain to the Pittsburgh offense, even through a losing streak in the series that has reached 12 games. He was darned near unblockable again Sunday afternoon. Cleveland quite obviously concerned itself with not being overrun, particularly after Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall had performed so effectively in his first two starts replacing injured Willie Parker.

"When people do that, we've got to be willing and capable of throwing the ball vertically down the field—which is what we're able to do," Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said. "We don't care by what means we move the chains or light up the scoreboard, as long as the job gets done.

"A lot of times what we do is dictated by what our opponents do, and we're OK with that."

This appears to be a bit of a philosophical change since the Steelers lost back-to-back games to Chicago and Cincinnati, games in which the offensive game plan was exceedingly conservative and ultimately unsuccessful.

In the Cincinnati game, the Steelers ran the ball nearly 60 percent of the time on first down—even though 12 of Parker's 15 first-down rushes went for 3 yards or less.

Even protecting leads through most of the Cleveland game on Sunday, Pittsburgh allowed its elite quarterback a greater role. There was an even split between first-down runs and throws, and the first-down passes produced some of Roethlisberger's biggest gains: 52 yards to Ward for a second-quarter touchdown, 45 yards to Ward in the third quarter, 21 more to Ward early in the fourth.

"I think we're doing what we have to do to win the game, and that's being balanced," Roethlisberger said. "We've got weapons at receiver, tight end and running back."

Roethlisberger called a lot of those plays himself as Pittsburgh went to the no-huddle offense late in the first quarter and through much of the second. He says it gives him the opportunity to spread the ball among receivers and get the attack into a rhythm.
Related Links

It wasn't a stunning performance by the Steelers, by any stretch. Roethlisberger alternately called it "sub-par" and "OK." He fumbled once and threw an interception. Parker and Mendenhall each lost fumbles, as well.

Roethlisberger was asked what the offense's ceiling might be, given the 543 yards produced Sunday even with all those turnovers. "I don't know what it is," he said, "but we've got to keep reaching for it."

And if the Steelers need to raise the roof to accommodate all those passes, Pittsburghers will have to get used to it.

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Steelers fans aflutter about Roethlisberger air show

Mike DeCourcy
Sunday, Oct. 18, 2009 - 7:58 p.m. ET
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article ... r-air-show (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-18/steelers-fans-aflutter-about-roethlisberger-air-show)

PITTSBURGH — Usually when the football is in the air this much during a Steelers game, it's because the punters are getting a workout. In this city, passing is viewed with the kind of suspicion accorded such activities as imbibing alcohol or gambling at table games: A little is fine, but too much might kill you or break you. Perhaps both.

You could hear it in the questions asked in the Steelers' locker room following their 27-14 victory over the Browns. For instance, linebacker James Harrison was asked for his take on what the offense was doing "with all the passing and stuff."

Harrison offered a fairly direct response: "Whatever keeps the chains moving."

Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger moved them enough to train the down-marker guys for a marathon. He passed for a not-quite career-best 417 yards, only the second time in his career he threw for four bills. Receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes both crossed the 100-yard mark.

It was the kind of performance that would be celebrated in New Orleans or New England, but in New Alexandria and New Eagle and New Kensington they worry the Steelers were routinely stuffed by the NFL's worst run defense. I guess the folks there

Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers generally has been a pain to the Pittsburgh offense, even through a losing streak in the series that has reached 12 games. He was darned near unblockable again Sunday afternoon. Cleveland quite obviously concerned itself with not being overrun, particularly after Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall had performed so effectively in his first two starts replacing injured Willie Parker.

"When people do that, we've got to be willing and capable of throwing the ball vertically down the field—which is what we're able to do," Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said. "We don't care by what means we move the chains or light up the scoreboard, as long as the job gets done.

"A lot of times what we do is dictated by what our opponents do, and we're OK with that." need to understand what this means.

This appears to be a bit of a philosophical change since the Steelers lost back-to-back games to Chicago and Cincinnati, games in which the offensive game plan was exceedingly conservative and ultimately unsuccessful.

In the Cincinnati game, the Steelers ran the ball nearly 60 percent of the time on first down—even though 12 of Parker's 15 first-down rushes went for 3 yards or less.

Even protecting leads through most of the Cleveland game on Sunday, Pittsburgh allowed its elite quarterback a greater role. There was an even split between first-down runs and throws, and the first-down passes produced some of Roethlisberger's biggest gains: 52 yards to Ward for a second-quarter touchdown, 45 yards to Ward in the third quarter, 21 more to Ward early in the fourth.

"I think we're doing what we have to do to win the game, and that's being balanced," Roethlisberger said. "We've got weapons at receiver, tight end and running back."

Roethlisberger called a lot of those plays himself as Pittsburgh went to the no-huddle offense late in the first quarter and through much of the second. He says it gives him the opportunity to spread the ball among receivers and get the attack into a rhythm.
Related Links

It wasn't a stunning performance by the Steelers, by any stretch. Roethlisberger alternately called it "sub-par" and "OK." He fumbled once and threw an interception. Parker and Mendenhall each lost fumbles, as well.

Roethlisberger was asked what the offense's ceiling might be, given the 543 yards produced Sunday even with all those turnovers. "I don't know what it is," he said, "but we've got to keep reaching for it."

And if the Steelers need to raise the roof to accommodate all those passes, Pittsburghers will have to get used to it.

Hey dummies...if other teams are selling out to stop the run we have a guy who makes them pay for that mistake. Time to STFU about what you think is "Steelers football" because "Steelers football" isn't just about running the ball...it's about winning games and titles.

Jooser
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
:Agree here, here

steelblood
10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't know that teams have to completely sell out to stop the Steelers running game anymore.

Snatch98
10-21-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't know that teams have to completely sell out to stop the Steelers running game anymore.

They are going to have to sell out to stop someone. Big Ben can certainly beat them through the air and as Mendenhall continues to mature they are going to have to sell out to stop him. The kid is legit and we all know what we have in Big Ben. Bottom line in all of this resides with this...

The Pittsburgh fan base even with all of our winning and success is very critical. The fan base obviously expects a certain standard and when the Standard is lowered in the eyes of the masses all hell breaks loose. Everyone puts a premium on Smash mouth football. Running the ball 40 times a game between two running backs and beating the opponent in to submission. However quarterbacks and offenses are improving all over the league and you can no longer simply rely on a run game and a stout defense. The good quarterbacks are going to find a way and thank god we have Big Ben to answer. Prior to Ben we didn't have a QB save Bradshaw that could orchestrate a devasting offensive drive. Now we have a 100 million dollar QB that commands the offense, weapons a plenty.

I remember during one of the preseasons games this year. I was at a Steeler party and this couple was sitting in one of the corners debating about certain things. They seemed pretty knowledgeable. Although the more i listened the more I realized the tunnel vision syndrome both possessed. They were being critical of Heath Miller and our run game. I chimed in with "Mendenhall just needs to see some carries and he'll prove the doubters wrong" which was a gamble because no one new at that point because the boy wasn't getting the carries. I was basing it off the burst and vision I had seen in his limited work and his college career. I then said with more confidence that Heath Miller is a top 10, if not a top 5 TE in the NFL. We just don't use him like other teams would. Both strongly disagreed and almost scoffed at me. Now look what Miller is doing. Surprise, surprise he gets open, makes the tough grabs and fights for the extra yards. All things he's been doing since joining the Steelers, he's just now doing it more often.

The Steeler fan base needs to embrace our now high powered offense and understand the league has evolved. Big Ben is leading the charge and a change of guard is occuring in the burgh. Strap on and hold on or get out of the way and dream of the days of Jerome Bettis and Bam Morris.

MeetJoeGreene
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Whew!!

For a minute I thought Ben followed up his WWE appearance with an air-show appearance... I was going to get pretty nervous if he was flying around with the Blue Angels.

Starlifter
10-21-2009, 03:29 PM
i want the best of both worlds. a high-powered offense yet one that when you need to ice the game can control the ball and the clock with a power running game. I don't want to trade one for the other.

flippy
10-21-2009, 03:51 PM
being aflutter sounds gay

MeetJoeGreene
10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
being aflutter sounds gay

I hope no wise-guy creates an alter-ego with the user name aflutter and imitates queerbait.

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 08:24 PM

So why do they keep doing it?

Vindrow
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Me, I don't care how we win the game...whether we pass or run as long as we win.

skyhawk
10-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Seahawks country was aflutter when they won two weeks ago 41-0 vs Jax. It call came crashing down last week against the Cardinals at home.

417 yards by Big Ben is SOOOOOO last week.