PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Officially Named Starter

phillyesq
10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
This is in the bottom of a Trib article re: Jeff Reed.

In other Steelers news, Tomlin acknowledged that there has been a changing of the guard at running back — at least for now.

Tomlin said Rashard Mendenhall has passed Willie Parker on the depth chart.

Mendenhall has started the Steelers' last three games and rushed for 304 yards and four touchdowns. Parker returned last Sunday after missing two games because of turf toe. He rushed for 26 yards on seven carries in the Steelers' 27-14 win against the Browns.

"It's great to have Willie back," Tomlin said, "but Rashard has the hot hand if you will."

Tomlin said the Steelers are in relatively good shape from a health standpoint.

Mendenhall (bruised knee) and outside linebacker Andre Frazier (quad contusion) may be limited in practice this week but both are expected to play against the Vikings, Tomlin said.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu may also be limited in practice but Tomlin said the five-time Pro Bowler responded well after playing his first game since Sept. 10. Polamalu missed four games because of a sprained left knee.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648863.html?feed=9#

I think this is the right move. I think that Mendenhall's running style amakes him a better option as a starting rb. I also think that his receiving ability (contrasted with FWP's lack thereof) makes him a better fit for the offense.

I think that Parker is still important to the team, and I like the idea of a fresh Willie Parker coming in against a tired defense as a change of pace.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Maybe FWP can stand for "FRESH Willie Parker"?

I hope Tomlin has BOTH Willie and Mendy holding tight to a football all week long.

birtikidis
10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
wow, mendy looked good against a few crappy teams and gets to start. hopefully he can keep it up, but, seriously - a 2&4 chargers team a 1&5 detroit team and a really bad cleveland team (also 1&5) doesn't impress me.
a total of 4 wins for those teams.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 03:20 PM
wow, mendy looked good against a few crappy teams and gets to start. hopefully he can keep it up, but, seriously - a 2&4 chargers team a 1&5 detroit team and a really bad cleveland team (also 1&5) doesn't impress me.

Are you saying that Parker's performances this year impressed you more?

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe FWP can stand for "FRESH Willie Parker"?

I hope Tomlin has BOTH Willie and Mendy holding tight to a football all week long.

Scene: Mike Tomlin and Willie Parker are walking together along the beach.

Willie Parker: "Coach...did you ever get that "not-so-fresh" feeling?"

Coach Tomlin: "Only went we run guys until their wheels fall off, Willie."

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Records aside you can see Mendy is a running back. Parker on the other hand is a turd.

birtikidis
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM

neither has impressed me. they both look like crap.

birtikidis
10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
but i know there are gonna be alot of retards that gloat over this.

birtikidis
10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
see LVG

MeetJoeGreene
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with this move, but notice how Tomlin qualified it:

"It's great to have Willie back," Tomlin said, "but Rashard has the hot hand if you will."

That doesn't mean that things won't change game to game or what-not.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 03:40 PM

neither has impressed me. they both look like crap.

Well, one of them has to start. And since Mendenhall is averaging over 5 yards per carry and has 4 TD's, he's the man for the job. A guy running for more yards per carry than Ronnie Brown, Brian Westbrook, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steven Jackson, Clinton Portis, DeAngelo Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Michael Turner, Matt Forte, etc. looks like crap?

steelsnis
10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
they both look like crap

Really?? Mendenhall has looked like crap to you?

You can't help which teams are on the schedule, but in his 3 games a starter, he's averaging 5-yards per carry and has 4 TD's.

Looking through crap colored glasses perhaps? Not trying to be difficult, but I haven't seen anything from Mendenhall in these past three games that even comes close to "looking like crap."

steelblood
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Mendenhall should be the starter for now. He runs harder inside and he is a much better receiver. Perhaps we can actually run some effective screens against some good teams. I hope Mendenhall learns to protect the ball though. I don't like the way he dangles it.

ikestops85
10-20-2009, 03:58 PM
they both look like crap

You can't help which teams are on the schedule, but in his 3 games a starter, he's averaging 5-yards per carry and has 4 TD's.

Looking through crap colored glasses perhaps? Not trying to be difficult, but I haven't seen anything from Mendenhall in these past three games that even comes close to "looking like crap."

Well, if you take away his long runs he looks like crap. :stirpot

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 04:03 PM
see LVG

Grinning from ear to ear. Been waiting for Tomlin/Arians to make this move for 2 years now. It's nice to know they care about winning rather then how Willie feels.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
they both look like crap

:Clap :lol:

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
they both look like crap

No.......he still looked like crap.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 04:05 PM
see LVG

Grinning from ear to ear. Been waiting for Tomlin/Arians to make this move for 2 years now. It's nice to know they care about winning rather then how Willie feels.

You were hoping that Tomlin would start Mendenhall when he was at Illinois? :P

birtikidis
10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
they both look like crap

really? i see a guy who fades fast in the second half. a guy that is averaging 5 yds against some of the worst run defenses in the league. he hasn't played a decent defense yet.

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
see LVG

You were hoping that Tomlin would start Mendenhall when he was at Illinois? :P

Who said anything about Mendenhall? I've been waiting 2 years for us to either sit Willie or send him packing. I'm kinda pissed that he still may see the field on a few plays.

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 04:11 PM
they both look like crap

really? i see a guy who fades fast in the second half. a guy that is averaging 5 yds against some of the worst run defenses in the league. he hasn't played a decent defense yet.

Fades fast in the second half??????????????? Are you even watching the second half???????????????. The reason it appears he is fading is because Arians stops running the ball. B.A. even admitted that he gets away from the run when he knows it working.

ikestops85
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
they both look like crap

and I thought you liked Mendenhall but now you think he looks like crap? Will we ever get a RB that makes you happy?

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
they both look like crap

and I thought you liked Mendenhall but now you think he looks like crap? Will we ever get a RB that makes you happy?

Adrian Peterson will be playing at Heinz Field this weekend. Perhaps he makes the cut...

Chachi
10-20-2009, 04:24 PM

This. (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=96306#p96306)

NorCal-Steeler
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Although i like mendenhall as well , he is still unproven against quality teams. If he has a good week against the Vikes so be it he is the man. If he is shut down or more importantly if he coughs up the ball is he still the man for the bandwagon fans?
I'd like to see them both in the backfeild in that pony set and share the carries.

steelsnis
10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
a guy that is averaging 5 yds against some of the worst run defenses in the league. he hasn't played a decent defense yet.

As I said in my earlier post, you can't help who's on your schedule. Averaging 5-yds per carry with 4 TD's in 3-games is damn good, I don't care who you're playing.

Lonbull
10-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Really??? Come on LVG - last year Tomlin and Arians decided NOT to make Mendenhall the starter because they didn't care about winning --- or I don't know maybe they couldn't do it because he was on the IR.

And then when Mendenhall is healthy he decides to take his position lightly until he's basically benched.....THEN he decides to put in the effort.....you know to help the team win - and that's when Tomlin gives him the chance to be the starter.

Nothing like insulting the Head Coach - for some nonsensical B.S. logic and then also adding in the Offensive Coordinator who has nothing to do with this.

:Hater

L.B.

AngryAsian
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I love the way some are being critical about Mendenhall and his "not-so-imrpessive" outputs against subpar run defenses. May I ask the question.... who else do we have in our stable that's merited the nod to be the starter? You can't make strawberry jam, when you are given blueberries. Mendenhall, Parker and Moore is who we have in our stable. Give Mendenhall a chance, more snaps (against quality defenses) and see if he responds. I don't see anything wrong with this maneuver. FWP has clearly been on the decline since the injuries. We need someone who will not only help this team win (which Willie has obviously been unable to do nursing one injury after another).

Mendy and Moore... a great tandem for the fun and gun offense we are running. At least it gives us more options than Willie limited minutes.

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
they both look like crap

My bad. I thought your were referring to Willie. Take away his long runs and he stats are crap. I don't have a problem with Mendenhall, yet :lol:

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM

Really??? Come on LVG - last year Tomlin and Arians decided NOT to make Mendenhall the starter because they didn't care about winning --- or I don't know maybe they couldn't do it because he was on the IR.

And then when Mendenhall is healthy he decides to take his position lightly until he's basically benched.....THEN he decides to put in the effort.....you know to help the team win - and that's when Tomlin gives him the chance to be the starter.

Nothing like insulting the Head Coach - for some nonsensical B.S. logic and then also adding in the Offensive Coordinator who has nothing to do with this.

:Hater

L.B.

Mendenhall was the obvious choice last year but I would have been happy if Arians/Tomlin brought in anybody to unseat Willie it didn't necessarily have to be Mendy.

Maybe Mendy took the position lightly because he started to feel that no matter what he did this coaching staff loved Willie.

Not going to lie to you. Have been a Willie hater for a couple years now.

LasVegasGuy
10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I love the way some are being critical about Mendenhall and his "not-so-imrpessive" outputs against subpar run defenses. May I ask the question.... who else do we have in our stable that's merited the nod to be the starter? You can't make strawberry jam, when you are given blueberries. Mendenhall, Parker and Moore is who we have in our stable. Give Mendenhall a chance, more snaps (against quality defenses) and see if he responds. I don't see anything wrong with this maneuver. FWP has clearly been on the decline since the injuries. We need someone who will not only help this team win (which Willie has obviously been unable to do nursing one injury after another).

Mendy and Moore... a great tandem for the fun and gun offense we are running. At least it gives us more options than Willie limited minutes.

This move is long, long overdue. I will even take it one step further. Cut Willie and bring in Mendy's competition. There are a few vets still sitting out there that we could probably get cheap now and push Mendy for the starting position. As far as I am concerned as long as Willie is back there Mendy is safe as a kitten to keep the starting position. I want to Know that Mendy knows there is someone more then capable off sending him back to the bench. We don't get that with Willie.

phillyesq
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM

Great post.

Mendy may have faced subpar competition (which he can't help), but he performed well, and earned the opportunity to start against tougher defenses. And he is a much better fit for this offense than Parker because of his receiving ability. He also appears to be a tougher inside runner. I'm not saying that Parker should be completely cast aside. If he has any burst left, I like the idea of him as a change of pace back against a worn down defense.

I'm not saying that Mendy will come in and become an immediate star. He has a lot of areas where he can (and hopefully will) improve. He has shown that he is a more complete back than Parker, and he has earned a starting opportunity.

NorthCoast
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Just wondering what the threshold yds/att needs to be against a lousy defense before you can call him a good RB?? Should he be getting 8 yds/att, 10 yds/att?? What will do it for you?

I think 5 yds/att against lousy Ds is a decent number and if he gets 4 yds/att against the Vikes you can call it a legitimate trend...

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Cut Willie and bring in Mendy's competition. There are a few vets still sitting out there that we could probably get cheap now and push Mendy for the starting position.

Who do you suggest? The over-the-hill gang of Warrick Dunn, Shaun Alexander, and Deuce McAllister? Ugh...

frankthetank1
10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
by far the stupidest arguement against parker. if you take away any long runs from any rb their stats would be crap. long runs for a running back are good!! what would barry sanders stats look like if you took away his long runs?

frankthetank1
10-20-2009, 09:34 PM

This move is long, long overdue. I will even take it one step further. Cut Willie and bring in Mendy's competition. There are a few vets still sitting out there that we could probably get cheap now and push Mendy for the starting position. As far as I am concerned as long as Willie is back there Mendy is safe as a kitten to keep the starting position. I want to Know that Mendy knows there is someone more then capable off sending him back to the bench. We don't get that with Willie.

haha cut willie parker? oh man what did willie parker ever do to you lvg? you seem like deniro in the fan. i bet you have a dart board set up with parker's picture on it huh? how about they just dont re-sign willie parker? no thats not good enough we have to cut him half way through the season and pick up some washed up bum WHO DOESNT KNOW THE OFFENSE and hasnt played in god knows how long. im a parker fan and he has been very solid over the years. 2 pro bowls is not exactly crap. his best days are behind him though and i would be shocked if this isnt his last season as a steeler. be patient he will be out of sight and out of mind soon.

papillon
10-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Yea, cutting a solid veteran in the middle of the year is definitely something the Steelers' management has done over the years. I don't know what Parker did to you, your wife, your mistress, kids or family in general, but, man you should let us all know so that we understand your hatred of the man.

Pappy

stlrz d
10-20-2009, 10:05 PM
This thread is chock full of win.

Hater win.

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
If you think LVG is happy now, just wait until Tomlin moves on and is replaced by a melanin-challenged new head coach. :wink:

JTP53609
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM

hey now, get it right the chargers are 2-3..not 2-4 :D
mendenhall has look good this year in my opinion, who cares who he has played, just about everyone had the chargers WINNING the super bowl this year, he looked good against them

proudpittsburgher
10-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm suprised LVG actually visits this board, because, you know, black background and all. :roll:

GraphicNature
10-21-2009, 09:04 AM
good im glad. i love what willie has done for this team but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to notice he cant get the job done anymore.

mendy gives us a better option passing out of the backfield and looks like he is a better blocker than parker. with us throwing 60% of the time it makes him that much more important than willie. While Mendy wasnt spectacular against the browns or lions he really wasnt given the ability to show off. The Oline is inconsistent in run blocking, which i believe is because we pass so much so they cant get into a flow.

Mendy also shows to have a little more explosion going thru the line as willie just kinda stutter steps around them.

btw just found this website and love it. :Beer

ANPSTEEL
10-21-2009, 09:10 AM
they both look like crap

nice.

JTP53609
10-21-2009, 09:12 AM
good im glad. i love what willie has done for this team but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to notice he cant get the job done anymore.

mendy gives us a better option passing out of the backfield and looks like he is a better blocker than parker. with us throwing 60% of the time it makes him that much more important than willie. While Mendy wasnt spectacular against the browns or lions he really wasnt given the ability to show off. The Oline is inconsistent in run blocking, which i believe is because we pass so much so they cant get into a flow.

Mendy also shows to have a little more explosion going thru the line as willie just kinda stutter steps around them.

yea this site is much better than other steeler sites, alot better, with less douchwads..

GraphicNature
10-21-2009, 09:19 AM

yea this site is much better than other steeler sites, alot better, with less douchwads..

good, i dont like douchwads lol. i know theres been plenty of them on the steelers main site MB and ESPNs

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Our new coach:

http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/powder_1_f.jpg

Correct skin tone, Tomlin shades, Landry hat...and he has magic powers!

proudpittsburgher
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM

I don't think anyone is questioning the decision, Graphic, rather LVG wanted Mendenhall to be the starter from day 1. He wasn't ready. Now, LVG wants to cut Parker. :moon

NorCal-Steeler
10-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Just about every year people are looking to replace Ward too. I dont think Willie is going to go down without a fight. I'd like to see mendy succeed but with the Vikes and Broncos coming up if Mendy loses production or the ball look for Wille to find his way back into rotation.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2009, 10:15 AM

As the resident Admiral Douchewad, I resent that remark. :P

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Just about every year people are looking to replace Ward too. I dont think Willie is going to go down without a fight. I'd like to see mendy succeed but with the Vikes and Broncos coming up if Mendy loses production or the ball look for Wille to find his way back into rotation.

Although Hines Ward is leading the league in receiving yards, look who he is doing it against. In terms of pass defense, the Titans are 32nd, Bears are 14th, Bengals are 28th, Chargers are 13th, Lions are 29th, and Browns are 23rd. Hines sucks because he hasn't faced a top 10 pass defense yet. Just a bunch of empty numbers against patsy teams.

:stirpot :lol:

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Although Hines Ward is leading the league in receiving yards, look who he is doing it against. In terms of pass defense, the Titans are 32nd, Bears are 14th, Bengals are 28th, Chargers are 13th, Lions are 29th, and Browns are 23rd. Hines sucks because he hasn't faced a top 10 pass defense yet. Just a bunch of empty numbers against patsy teams.

but like parker ward has a BODY OF WORK which Mendenhall does not have.
don't try to be a smartass with me! :Hater

sd steel
10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

But Willie is 2 years removed from his body of work, and he isn't getting any faster.

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
[quote="NorCal-Steeler":1899nj19]Just about every year people are looking to replace Ward too. I dont think Willie is going to go down without a fight. I'd like to see mendy succeed but with the Vikes and Broncos coming up if Mendy loses production or the ball look for Wille to find his way back into rotation.

But Willie is 2 years removed from his body of work, and he isn't getting any faster.[/quote:1899nj19]
Steeler fans, so quick to throw guys under the bus. especially useful guys.

NWNewell
10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not anointing Mendenhall for anything. I agree that we've played some poor run defense teams. However I agree with Tomlin. Mendenhall has the hot hand.

but... you be the judge:
Mendenhall: 5.1 yd/att - Opponent Def Avg: 4.2 yd/att
Parker: 3.1 yd/att - Opponent Def Avg: 3.7 yd/att

Mendenhall is gaining 0.9 yards/attempt more than his opponents are typically giving up. But Parker is gaining 0.6 yards/attempt less than his opponents are typically giving up.

Some of it could be that the O-line is playing better. But why mess with a winning formula. Plus, while it is a bit more subjective, Mendenhall looks a bit more decisive and crisper on his cuts.

sd steel
10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
[quote="NorCal-Steeler":3ttd4gf0]Just about every year people are looking to replace Ward too. I dont think Willie is going to go down without a fight. I'd like to see mendy succeed but with the Vikes and Broncos coming up if Mendy loses production or the ball look for Wille to find his way back into rotation.

But Willie is 2 years removed from his body of work, and he isn't getting any faster.
Steeler fans, so quick to throw guys under the bus. especially useful guys.[/quote:3ttd4gf0]

Sorry, but just like LT here in SD, Willie has lost a step and a half, and he wasn't the most decisive runner to begin with. He was good because of his ability to hit a seam fast. He is no longer able to do this, and it has even reflected poorly on the oline. The oline hasn't been that bad at run blocking the last 2 years, the problem is willie had lost a step. Mendenhall has the speed and quickness to hit the seam fast and hard, and it is showing in his results. FWP Lover. :tt1

papillon
10-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Our family loves Willie Parker, jerseys, fathead, etc, but it is becoming increasingly clear that his best days may be behind him. Now, part of the reason we love Parker is because he works hard and except for one ill-timed statement last year he's been a great Steeler and we're all hoping that he isn't done. Hopefully, he'll pick it up this year and finish strong and then let the chips fall as they may.

Pappy

ikestops85
10-21-2009, 11:46 AM

:Clap :Clap :Clap
:lol:

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
SD I love all these guys wearing black and gold. I just think that it's too soon to get down on willie.

sd steel
10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Our family loves Willie Parker, jerseys, fathead, etc, but it is becoming increasingly clear that his best days may be behind him. Now, part of the reason we love Parker is because he works hard and except for one ill-timed statement last year he's been a great Steeler and we're all hoping that he isn't done. Hopefully, he'll pick it up this year and finish strong and then let the chips fall as they may.

Pappy

Great post Pappy, and I agrre with this 100%, we still have Parker gear all over the house, my wife and son both have jersey's, and he has been a household fave, hopefully he can come back and be what he once was, but running back dont get faster when they age.

sd steel
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
SD I love all these guys wearing black and gold. I just think that it's too soon to get down on willie.

Is it too soon for San Diego to get down on LT?

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM

i don't know, i don't watch sand diego. I'm a steelers fan.

sd steel
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Well, I'm a Steeler fan too, but I happen to live in San Diego, and I see the Charger games when they are on. My point is LT was the premier back in the NFL 3 years ago, Willie wanted to be as good as him. But LT got injured in 2007 and 2008, and now at around 30 yrs of age after many great seasons, where the Chargers "ran his wheels off", he is a shell of his former self. He has aged and slowed. Sproles is really their feature back now even though he is a midget. Mendenhall is not a midget, is bigger then Willie, more explosive than Willie, and a better back than Willie at this time. Unlike QB's most runningbacks don't get better with age, they just get tackled for more losses. I'm not hating on Willie, just saying that Mendenhall is a better back for the Steelers at this time.

JTP53609
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
is it just me or does it look like LT is a fullback more than a running back now, he has packed on some weight it looks like..

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
is it just me or does it look like LT is a fullback more than a running back now, he has packed on some weight it looks like..
I've only seen highlights, he seems to be just a whiner to me. seems that he's been that way his whole career. after seeing the chargers on espn (highlights from monday) i think he gets that td that sproles didn't make.

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 01:10 PM
and all i really KNOW about mendenhall is:
1) he got hurt, missed the season, and didn't show up at the training facility often.
2) has been benched because of poor work ethic.
3) racks up yards on crappy teams in the first half then disappears in the second.

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 01:14 PM
[quote=birtikidis]SD I love all these guys wearing black and gold. I just think that it's too soon to get down on willie.

Well, I'm a Steeler fan too, but I happen to live in San Diego, and I see the Charger games when they are on. My point is LT was the premier back in the NFL 3 years ago, Willie wanted to be as good as him. But LT got injured in 2007 and 2008, and now at around 30 yrs of age after many great seasons, where the Chargers "ran his wheels off", he is a shell of his former self. He has aged and slowed. Sproles is really their feature back now even though he is a midget. Mendenhall is not a midget, is bigger then Willie, more explosive than Willie, and a better back than Willie at this time. Unlike QB's most runningbacks don't get better with age, they just get tackled for more losses. I'm not hating on Willie, just saying that Mendenhall is a better back for the Steelers at this time.[/quote:3l3k1qr8]
I'm not saying parker is getting better. I'm saying that parker should be the guy until mendenhall can prove he's earned it. at this point he hasn'tbut saying that mendenhall is a better back is very premature. he will be, but not yet. moore has shown me more than mendenhall.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM

No...L.T. didn't put on weight. He's on Nutrisystem now!

Oh wait...you meant that other L.T. Sorry.

Yes...L.T. did put on some weight because of the pounding he expected to take as a full-time ILB, replacing Larry Foote.

Not that L.T. either? I give up. :wink:

JTP53609
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I've only seen highlights, he seems to be just a whiner to me. seems that he's been that way his whole career. after seeing the chargers on espn (highlights from monday) i think he gets that td that sproles didn't make.

i use to not really mind the guy until that afc championship game in 07, he got hurt and rather than cheer on his team and be there for support, he sat on the bench with the big jacket and felt sorry for himself, i know it stinks to get hurt in a big game (even though he gets hurt alot it seems) but you have to at least cheer your team on, brian dawkins was going nuts as a cheerleader on monday night....

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM

No...L.T. didn't put on weight. He's on Nutrisystem now!

Oh wait...you meant that other L.T. Sorry.

Yes...L.T. did put on some weight because of the pounding he expected to take as a full-time ILB, replacing Larry Foote.

Not that L.T. either? I give up. :wink:
I don't think it's nutrisystem that LT is on...

sd steel
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
[quote=birtikidis]SD I love all these guys wearing black and gold. I just think that it's too soon to get down on willie.

Well, I'm a Steeler fan too, but I happen to live in San Diego, and I see the Charger games when they are on. My point is LT was the premier back in the NFL 3 years ago, Willie wanted to be as good as him. But LT got injured in 2007 and 2008, and now at around 30 yrs of age after many great seasons, where the Chargers "ran his wheels off", he is a shell of his former self. He has aged and slowed. Sproles is really their feature back now even though he is a midget. Mendenhall is not a midget, is bigger then Willie, more explosive than Willie, and a better back than Willie at this time. Unlike QB's most runningbacks don't get better with age, they just get tackled for more losses. I'm not hating on Willie, just saying that Mendenhall is a better back for the Steelers at this time.
I'm not saying parker is getting better. I'm saying that parker should be the guy until mendenhall can prove he's earned it. at this point he hasn'tbut saying that mendenhall is a better back is very premature. he will be, but not yet. moore has shown me more than mendenhall.[/quote:1cszliex]

I guess we can agree to disagree, but how do you expect Mendenhall to "prove he's earned it" if you don't give him the ball? I think it's very easy to see that he hits the holes harder than Willie at this point and he runs with more authority. He is the power back that the Steelers have been looking for for the past few years. Willie has been injured on and off, and he hasn't been reliable. I think by making Mendehall the starter he will only get better because it shows the team has confidence in him, and that will help build his confidence. Like I said before I have always liked FWP, and he has done alot for this organization, but it's apparent that he isn't the powerback that we need at this time. As far as the argument that we haven't played anybody, you play somebody every week in the NFL, just because they have bad records doesn't mean that there are not million dollar stud NFL athletes on the other side of the ball. It's a bad argument at the NFL level, because they bring it every Sunday.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I guess we can agree to disagree, but how do you expect Mendenhall to "prove he's earned it" if you don't give him the ball? I think it's very easy to see that he hits the holes harder than Willie at this point and he runs with more authority. He is the power back that the Steelers have been looking for for the past few years. Willie has been injured on and off, and he hasn't been reliable. I think by making Mendehall the starter he will only get better because it shows the team has confidence in him, and that will help build his confidence. Like I said before I have always liked FWP, and he has done alot for this organization, but it's apparent that he isn't the powerback that we need at this time. As far as the argument that we haven't played anybody, you play somebody every week in the NFL, just because they have bad records doesn't mean that there are not million dollar stud NFL athletes on the other side of the ball. It's a bad argument at the NFL level, because they bring it every Sunday.

(* Except for the Titans in snowy Foxboro)

sd steel
10-21-2009, 02:35 PM

(* Except for the Titans in snowy Foxboro)

Touche, but they have all but given up on their season. The Titans are a different team now than they were in week one, but we helped in the demoralization process.

Snatch98
10-21-2009, 02:57 PM
they both look like crap

Where do fans like you reside? I get that he's run over poor defenses but he's showing he has great vision, leg drive and he certainly breaks tackles. He fights for every yard. The boy runs hard and with a purpose. He's not dancing in the backfield like the NFL's RB's of old. Parker dances, hell even LT is dancing now and he's been less than Stellar for SD after his run of injuries. The real question is this...Are you simply being overly critical of the Steelers run game, including parker. Or in some way is your mind that twisted that you've seen something in Parker that Mendenhall hasn't done 10 times better since getting the carries? Willie is done as a starting RB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mendenhall is the real deal and I'm confident he'll keep this going against the good run D's. Cedric Benson just ran Wild on Baltimore and teams have run on the Vikings.

Say he comes out and runs all over the Vikings then what will you have to say? Oh well he's only shown he can do it once? Fans like you would rather get kicked in the balls over and over before admitting they may be incorrect on a assessment. It's ridiculous.

flippy
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
parker seems like he's worn down.

at this point, i think it's probably good if we can get 10-15 carries out of him in relief of mendy.

mendy's been running hard and he's been a great blocker and pass catcher out of the backfield. he just adds a dimension in the passing game that parker doesn't and that alone gives him the slight edge.

at the end of the day, you need multiple backs. parker can still add value in relief. and it may make him fresher and harder to catch when the defenses are tired.

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 04:02 PM
they both look like crap

Where do fans like you reside? I get that he's run over poor defenses but he's showing he has great vision, leg drive and he certainly breaks tackles. He fights for every yard. The boy runs hard and with a purpose. He's not dancing in the backfield like the NFL's RB's of old. Parker dances, hell even LT is dancing now and he's been less than Stellar for SD after his run of injuries. The real question is this...Are you simply being overly critical of the Steelers run game, including parker. Or in some way is your mind that twisted that you've seen something in Parker that Mendenhall hasn't done 10 times better since getting the carries? Willie is done as a starting RB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mendenhall is the real deal and I'm confident he'll keep this going against the good run D's. Cedric Benson just ran Wild on Baltimore and teams have run on the Vikings.

Say he comes out and runs all over the Vikings then what will you have to say? Oh well he's only shown he can do it once? Fans like you would rather get kicked in the balls over and over before admitting they may be incorrect on a assessment. It's ridiculous.
where did you learn to read?
I've stated on numerous times that the entire run game looks like crap. everyone. do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth (hands)?
i also don't think willie is done as a starter. Mendenhall has issues. he needs reps. but he isn't ready to be the starter.
you are either a moron or you are ignorant. which is it?
I've never said that Mendy won't be a great back. ever. and i probably never will. but you're right, I would rather be kicked in the balls then be incorrect in an assessment. because that means 1 of 2 things: a player that I want to be great isn't (1st assessment) or that the steelers lose (2nd assessment because I don't think we should ever lose).
reading. try it. you might like it.

birtikidis
10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
parker seems like he's worn down.

at this point, i think it's probably good if we can get 10-15 carries out of him in relief of mendy.

mendy's been running hard and he's been a great blocker and pass catcher out of the backfield. he just adds a dimension in the passing game that parker doesn't and that alone gives him the slight edge.

at the end of the day, you need multiple backs. parker can still add value in relief. and it may make him fresher and harder to catch when the defenses are tired.
$ post flippy. the only thing is, at this point in his career I'd rather see mendenhall come in as relief.

sd steel
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
they both look like crap

where did you learn to read?
I've stated on numerous times that the entire run game looks like crap. everyone. do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth (hands)?
i also don't think willie is done as a starter. Mendenhall has issues. he needs reps. but he isn't ready to be the starter.
you are either a moron or you are ignorant. which is it?
I've never said that Mendy won't be a great back. ever. and i probably never will. but you're right, I would rather be kicked in the balls then be incorrect in an assessment. because that means 1 of 2 things: a player that I want to be great isn't (1st assessment) or that the steelers lose (2nd assessment because I don't think we should ever lose).
reading. try it. you might like it.

I think your assessment that "the run game looks like crap", and Mendenhall "fades in the second half", are both false statements. Mendenhall is averaging over 5 yards a carry, has over 300 yards in the last 3 games, and has scored 4 td's. So I won't be as agressive as snatch, (because we have history :D ), but some obviously aren't seeing what you are.

ikestops85
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
I think the running game started turning around in the Cincy game. I believe Willie ran for 90 some yards in that game. Mendy went wild in the next game against SD with his 165 yards. Mendy's next 2 games were okay --- not great but certainly not bad. I do like the way Mendy has been running and I think he has earned his chance at starting. He has been breaking some tackles when carrying the ball but he has also impressed me with his blocking skills.

BUT ...

I'm not ready to proclaim him better than Willie yet. One of the knocks on Willie is he gets all his yardage against "bad" teams but can't run against "good" teams. Mendy hasn't put up any numbers against a "good" team yet. One of the silliest arguments I've heard against Willie is you take away his big runs and he's not very good. Well, I think if you applied that thought process to Mendy or any other back they wouldn't be any good. The final stupid argument against Willie is he has slowed down. While he may be slower he is far from slow. A big difference.

I think many of you are missing the obvious. Our running game has picked up since the Bengal game when Willie was still toting the rock and the reason is our offensive line. Face it folks ... our O-line has become GOOD. Now granted, we haven't played a stout defense yet but they really seem to be jelling. I'm cooking up the crow right now so I can have a big steaming platefull for dinner this coming Sunday when they start pushing the Vikings around.

I never in this world thought this line would be any good but starting with the 2nd half of the Titans game they have been excellent in pass protection and now they've started producing in running game. My hats off to the coaching staff (and Ben) for sticking with these guys and telling us they would work out. I'm starting to believe they will.

:tt2 :tt2 :Beer

fezziwig
10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Mendy has youth and vision over Willie. Having said that, I'm not ready to declare Mendenhall king. Let's see how he does against a good team. Willie has shown in the past that if there wasn't any holes, he could at least get to the outside. Maybe Mendenhall can do the same thing ?

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
ike - I had to chuckle at you bringing up the "take away the long runs" argument because we've seen that enough, and we've also seen the opposite. If Willie doesn't have any long runs but still has decent yards it's "that's because they give him the ball so many times". :roll:

Poor guy just can't win. If he has some long runs he gets knocked for that...and if he's a work horse he gets knocked for that too.

I think it's time to give Mendy a shot at being the guy, but it's clear to anyone who knows this team and the players that Parker still brings value and will contribute to our success. And if Mendy gets hurt or starts putting the ball on the turf too much there is someone to take his place.

fezziwig
10-22-2009, 10:27 PM
ike - I had to chuckle at you bringing up the "take away the long runs" argument because we've seen that enough, and we've also seen the opposite. If Willie doesn't have any long runs but still has decent yards it's "that's because they give him the ball so many times". :roll:

Poor guy just can't win. If he has some long runs he gets knocked for that...and if he's a work horse he gets knocked for that too.

I think it's time to give Mendy a shot at being the guy, but it's clear to anyone who knows this team and the players that Parker still brings value and will contribute to our success. And if Mendy gets hurt or starts putting the ball on the turf too much there is someone to take his place.

True that

papillon
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I think everyone hating on Parker and then those who believe Mendenhall is weak need to realize that Jerome Bettis is not coming out of retirement.

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
10-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I think everyone hating on Parker and then those who believe Mendenhall is weak need to realize that Jerome Bettis is not coming out of retirement.

Pappy

Franco maybe? :tt1

JTP53609
10-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Pappy

Franco maybe? :tt1

when is bam morris coming out of rehab...
mendy will be good for us and i think parker will be a very effective change of pace back, he will be fresh with the viking defense hopefully huffing and puffing

Steeler Mafia
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
What is Barry "Bananas" doing now? Or how about Erric Pegram?

fezziwig
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm a firm believer that Parker was apart of, damn he do and damn he don't.
Parker is going through what I thought only QB's would go through after follwing a guy like Bradshaw or some day Ben.

Bettis spoiled us but one thing is for sure, no one can be the Bus so, we'll just have to stand behind our current crew.

Bam Morris asked I believe last year or the year before if he could return to the NFL. I believe he was out or was soon to be getting out of prison at the age of 33. He asked the Steelers and other teams for a second chance and without seeing him on any playing field, the answer must have been, " no ".

stlrz d
10-23-2009, 10:50 PM
What is Barry "Bananas" doing now? Or how about Erric Pegram?

He's on my TV screen right now...playing for the Falcons against the Cowboys on 12/22/91. :D