PDA

View Full Version : Will Someone Please explain

drprwnap
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
What is a TD? After watching the Denver game last night, I just don't know anymore.
I'm talking about the Stokley (sp?) TD late in the game. Here's what I saw. His right foot is just inside the goal line, the left leg is off the ground and is probably parallel with the goal line. In the process of making the catch (and securing the ball), he comes down inside the 1 yard line, is touched by the defender (not once, but twice), rolls into the end zone and is ruled a touchdown. The ref didn't signal TD until he rolls into the endzone. The call is upheld on replay. How is this any different than the Ward no TD call?? The momentum of Ward's catch takes him out of bounds in the endzone where he loses control of the ball, no TD. Stokley's momentum takes him out of the endzone, on to the playing field where he is touched down, rolls into the endzone and it's ruled a TD??
:wft In Ward's case, he had to maintain control thourghout the catch. In Stokley's case his control throughout the catch takes him out of the endzone and it's ruled a TD??
Of course, the gutless annouoncers said the ball broke the plane and that's why it was ruled a TD. Then why did the ref wait until he rolled into the endzone to signal TD???

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
stokey had the ball in line with the goal line then his knee hit and he came back a little bit int he field of play, with forward progress the ball was past the goal line before his knee/elbow hit so it was a td...

i understand where you are coming from though, hines had 2 knees, one elbow and his head on the ground with control of the ball, did a full roll and than bobbled the ball out of bounds and because of that it was called off, they need to change that rule, but a rule is a rule...

NC Steeler Fan
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
That was a damn touchdown ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT...

ikestops85
10-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Now the question is "What if Stokley had dropped the ball after rolling over?". Would that still have been ruled a TD?

aggiebones
10-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I imagine that it is not a catch until your own personal momentum has stopped. If you flail around and continue your motion I guess its not a completed catch.

It is indeed more complicated.

California-Steel
10-20-2009, 04:22 PM
The rule is a simple one. You must maintain contol of the ball thoughout the catch. This means that you must control the ball until you stop. Hines could not control the ball as he was falling and rolling.

If Hines would have been hit an fell then the TD would have counted as soon as he was down. But since he fell on his own he must maintain control of the ball until his momentum stops.

It is very cut and dry.

plainnasty
10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
The rule is a simple one. You must maintain contol of the ball thoughout the catch. This means that you must control the ball until you stop. Hines could not control the ball as he was falling and rolling.

If Hines would have been hit an fell then the TD would have counted as soon as he was down. But since he fell on his own he must maintain control of the ball until his momentum stops.

It is very cut and dry.
Except you got it wrong. "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete." - Mike Pereira

stlrz d
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM

It is a very stupid rule.

FTFY. :)

California-Steel
10-20-2009, 09:36 PM

It is very cut and dry.
Except you got it wrong. "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete." - Mike Pereira
Yeah that's what I said without the exact quote. Notice I said if Hines would have been touch while going down he would have had a TD as he would have been called down or tackled as soon as he hit the ground. So I really don't know what I got wrong.

plainnasty
10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
[quote="California-Steel":37m1q3hs]The rule is a simple one. You must maintain contol of the ball thoughout the catch. This means that you must control the ball until you stop. Hines could not control the ball as he was falling and rolling.

It is very cut and dry.
Yeah that's what I said without the exact quote. Notice I said if Hines would have been touch while going down he would have had a TD as he would have been called down or tackled as soon as he hit the ground. So I really don't know what I got wrong.[/quote:37m1q3hs]
Falling on your own has nothing to do with it. If a receiver is contacted while making a catch, he still must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground.

California-Steel
10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
[quote="California-Steel":12i45dpw]The rule is a simple one. You must maintain contol of the ball thoughout the catch. This means that you must control the ball until you stop. Hines could not control the ball as he was falling and rolling.

It is very cut and dry.
Yeah that's what I said without the exact quote. Notice I said if Hines would have been touch while going down he would have had a TD as he would have been called down or tackled as soon as he hit the ground. So I really don't know what I got wrong.
Falling on your own has nothing to do with it. If a receiver is contacted while making a catch, he still must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground.[/quote:12i45dpw]
Yeah I see the point. Guess I was thinking of if he was being tackled after making the catch and his knee or elbow was down then lost the ball. Key phase is after making the catch. Gotcha ya.

That is what I meant originally, just worded it bad on my part.