PDA

View Full Version : Holmes on his way to 1,000

fordfixer
10-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Steelers WR Holmes on his way to 1,000

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 48870.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648870.html)

Santonio Holmes is well on his way to accomplishing something that has eluded the Steelers' wide receiver going back to high school: having a 1,000-yard receiving season. The MVP of Super Bowl MVP has 438 yards on 28 catches. If he maintains the pace he has set through the Steelers' six games, Holmes will finish with 1,168 receiving yards.

"I'm not even focusing on that right now. I've got one touchdown," Holmes said. "I want to score touchdowns as opposed to getting 1,000 yards."

Holmes' only touchdown came in the Steelers' 13-10 win against the Titans in their season opener.

Brett Keisel almost had his first interception since high school in the Steelers' 27-14 win against the Browns. The starting defensive end batted a Derek Anderson pass into the air, and he got his hands on the ball but couldn't come up with catch in the second quarter.

"I didn't even know it was there until I heard the crowd," Keisel said of the batted ball, "and I turned around and it was right there, and I just reached, and it wasn't meant to be."

The Steelers' run defense will get tested early and often Sunday when the Minnesota Vikings visit Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game. Adrian Peterson leads the NFL in rushing with 624 yards.

"He has a very good (offensive) line in front of him so we have to go in there with a single focus of shutting down the run," Steelers defensive tackle Chris Hoke said.

NWNewell
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Ward is on his way well past 1000.... at 599 yards and 41 catches after 6 games.

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
it is incredible what Ward is doing, on pace for 1584 yards, obviously he will not keep that pace up ( one would think), but it is a credit to him what he is doing. He was never the fastest, biggest, strongest or most talented receiver, but he will go down as one of the best football players that I have ever seen. He is doing the same stuff now that he did 7, 8 years ago...

NWNewell
10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
it is incredible what Ward is doing, on pace for 1584 yards, obviously he will not keep that pace up ( one would think), but it is a credit to him what he is doing. He was never the fastest, biggest, strongest or most talented receiver, but he will go down as one of the best football players that I have ever seen. He is doing the same stuff now that he did 7, 8 years ago...

Yet somehow he always seems SO wide opened all the time. Crazy!

Are teams really still sleeping on him that much??

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Yet somehow he always seems SO wide opened all the time. Crazy!

Are teams really still sleeping on him that much??

i know... i guess when you have the talent that we have with wallace and holmes and the safety valve that will pick up first down after first down in the great heath miller, i guess you really cant do anything about it,....if we do get our running game consistantly clicking than our offense will be scary good....