PDA

View Full Version : Reed's latest incident embarrassment to Steelers

fordfixer
10-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Reed's latest incident embarrassment to Steelers
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293/1006802-87.stm

News of another alleged police incident involving Steelers kicker Jeff Reed brought to mind Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning saying so famously of teammate Mike Vanderjagt in 2003, "He's a good kicker, but he's an idiot ... We're talking about our idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off."

If Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that same thing about Reed, no one would argue.

Not today.

Not after Reed was given multiple citations Sunday night for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public intoxication outside of McFadden's bar on the North Shore, according to Pittsburgh police.

The incident, in which Reed allegedly harassed the cops as they tried to issue a citation to teammate Matt Spaeth for public urination and was put to the ground and handcuffed for his trouble, is Reed's second in eight months. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after beating up a towel dispenser in a Sheetz store in February in New Alexandria. One such incident might be brushed off as an isolated lapse in judgment. But two, if these charges are legitimate? That's an embarrassment, not just to Reed, but to the Steelers. It's also a distraction that the team doesn't need as it appears to be starting on a roll with three consecutive wins after a 1-2 start to the season.

Television crews from WTAE and WPXI were at the Steelers' South Side compound early yesterday. They weren't there to look back at the 27-14 win against the Cleveland Browns Sunday or to look ahead to the big game with the unbeaten Minnesota Vikings Sunday at Heinz Field. They were there because Reed appears to have acted like, well, an idiot.

Again.

Not exactly the way Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wanted to start his work week.

Neither Reed nor anyone with the Steelers commented yesterday. Reed's Atlanta-based agent, Don Henderson, told the Post-Gazette that Reed was wrongfully detained and will "contest" the charges.

It is believed that Reed -- a Steelers captain -- apologized for the distraction to his coaches and teammates during the team's usual Monday meeting. That's about all he could do at that point. The damage to his reputation and the team's already had been done, even if his case still must be resolved in the legal system.

An NFL spokesman said the league is aware of Reed's citations and is investigating. It fined him $10,000 for the February incident for violating its personal-conduct code, he revealed during training camp. It's fair to think he'll be hit for $25,000 this time, if he's guilty.

Reed should feel lucky if he is not suspended. He could get a game for sheer stupidity, if nothing else. For putting himself in a position where he has to defend himself against these kinds of charges.

"I don't want people to think I'm that kind of person," Reed said in August of the Sheetz incident. "That's not the way I was raised and this organization doesn't tolerate it. It won't happen again."

But did it?

Reed's timing for making this kind of news couldn't be worse, not just for the team's sake but his. He's in the final year of his contract and will be a free agent at the end of the season. He has said repeatedly he wants to stay with the Steelers.

He has a strange way of showing that, doesn't he?

I've been a big supporter of Reed's for a long time, publicly lobbying the Steelers to do a new deal with him. His consistency on the field has been remarkable, one bad day in Chicago Sept. 20, when he missed two field goals in a tough, 17-14 loss, aside.

But Reed's consistency off the field, if you will, is enough to make you wonder if he has any chance of a future with the Steelers beyond this season. The team shouldn't have to keep dealing with the headaches he causes. Tomlin had to think the first one would be the last one after the two had a little man-to-man talk after Reed's towel tantrum.

"They were great about it," Reed said in August of the support he received from Tomlin and Steelers president Art Rooney II. "They just told me, 'You've done so much for this organization. Just be smart. Be careful out there. You're more of a public figure than you realize.' "

Apparently, Reed wasn't paying attention that day. At least not to the "Be careful out there, you're a public figure" part.

That's inexcusable.

Reed is no kid. He turned 30 April 9. If he has a problem with alcohol and/or anger-management, he should get help. If he doesn't, he should grow up.

He should do one or the other before it's too late for his career.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293/10 ... z0USLAtTIv (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293/1006802-87.stm#ixzz0USLAtTIv)

papillon
10-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Spaeth and Reed... :wft :nono

Pappy

Oviedo
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Pappy

You mean Dumb and Dumber don't you.

proudpittsburgher
10-20-2009, 08:51 AM
It's pretty simple, actually. Strip that C off his jersey and make sure the team knows it. Tell him he has to earn it back. See how he reacts. It's time to grow up, skippy. You are playing chicken with the wrong organization.

papillon
10-20-2009, 09:01 AM

Pappy

You mean Dumb and Dumber don't you.

Yea, a 6'7" tight end urinating in public isn't going to be very inconspicuous. That's worse than Reed trying to help him and being drunk.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
It's pretty simple, actually. Strip that C off his jersey and make sure the team knows it. Tell him he has to earn it back. See how he reacts. It's time to grow up, skippy. You are playing chicken with the wrong organization.

I like this idea a lot, it is a total embarassment to the Steelers to have him be a captain.

Can the Steelers take that away, isn't it a player-bestowed "honor"? I suppose the management can do whatever they want, but it will have to be done with sensitivity, otherwise it could turn into a sensitive issue.

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 09:17 AM
i would take the "C" off of drunky in a heartbeat, i would think they are allowed to, i would give that "C" to keyaron fox with no hesitation, he is the leader on special teams....

and reed is an embarassment to the steelers, just as vanderjagt got liquored up and embarassed the colts, our kicker is now starting to do the same thing....

Oviedo
10-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Love the idea of sitting his butt on the bench when the captains go out for the coin flip. I'd make it a more than one game thing.

I'd also find a way to punish Spaeth. Maybe sit him for a quarter and let Johnson take his plays if he is ready.

flippy
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Reed was acting as a captain.

He was protecting Spaeth.

He was going to fight the cop to defend Spaeth.

Isn't Reed's dad a little to blame for stopping the car to allow Spaeth to take a leak?

And what cop gives you a citation for peeing?

If a guy has to go, let him take care of business, right?

Unless he's peeing all over the place on stuff, then I can understand.

But if he's peeing on a tree or a bush, why fine him?

Reed was probably just standing up for common sense.

So he tried to go all Mr Miyagi on the cop.

Mr Miyagi didn't get arrested when he save Daniel-san from an arse beating from the Cobra Kai did he?

Spaeth is the real embarassment here.

Letting a kicker fight your fight?

C'Mon man.

It's not like Skippy is Sepulveda.

Then it would at least be a bit more understandable.

Cause Sepulveda is ripped.

papillon
10-20-2009, 09:39 AM

Isn't Reed's dad a little to blame for stopping the car to allow Spaeth to take a leak?

Mr Miyagi didn't get arrested when he save Daniel-san from an arse beating from the Cobra Kai did he?

C'Mon man.

Are you defending this behavior? :wft

Pappy

flippy
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM

C'Mon man.

Are you defending this behavior? :wft

Pappy

sure, but I'm not serious....

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 10:04 AM
i would take the "C" off of drunky in a heartbeat, i would think they are allowed to, i would give that "C" to keyaron fox with no hesitation, he is the leader on special teams....

and reed is an embarassment to the steelers, just as vanderjagt got liquored up and embarassed the colts, our kicker is now starting to do the same thing....

Key Fox is already a captain. The team named 2 offensive captains (Ben and Hines), 2 defensive captains (Farrior and Harrison), and 2 special teams captains (Reed and Fox).

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Key Fox is already a captain. The team named 2 offensive captains (Ben and Hines), 2 defensive captains (Farrior and Harrison), and 2 special teams captains (Reed and Fox).

haha i realized that after i typed it and hoped nobody would notice that i said it.....

pfelix73
10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Well, we noticed it...... so phooey on you! :lol:

:tt1

pfelix73
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Actually, I didn't until Ruthless brought it up. You can't get anything by that guy.... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Actually, I didn't until Ruthless brought it up. You can't get anything by that guy.... :lol:

Kick Save! (and a beaut...) :P

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200902/freed_pens0211_7_500.jpg

NWNewell
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Excellent idea.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM

And fine his ar$$$e a game's pay.

And let him know he's down to his last chance.

feltdizz
10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Reed is an idiot.

Spaeth isn't far behind but I've pee'd outside so many times I can't get too mad at him. sure it's public urination but what guy doesn't pee on bricks or tree's when they are drunk.

It's better then peeing on yourself..

aggiebones
10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
The peeing thing happens. Your drinking, make a mistake on how bad you might have to go and boom, gotta do something. Let it go.

Reed is showing a bit of bad judgment, but its not illegal to drink. The rules of public intoxication are very loose for the police to do as they choose. There are no alcohol limits for PI like there is for DWI. They wrote him up and released him on the spot, so he clearly wasn't belligerent. If he was he'd have gone downtown.

99.9% of the people in the bar that night were technically PIs. Reed's problem is not his drinking necessarily, it is his problem with authority. Yea, I'd strip the C for 1 game, which is about what he deserves. Its like a $100 fine in the courts, so let's not blow it up. I'd like to see the tape of his 'resisting' arrest. He was probably being an arse to the cops for harassing Spaeth for peeing. And they didn't take kindly to it, so they thought they would feck with him too. Trump up some stuff knowing he'd get a beat down in the papers.
Cops like to screw with celebrities. A shame Reed gave them the chance, nothing more.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-20-2009, 02:52 PM
The peeing thing happens. Your drinking, make a mistake on how bad you might have to go and boom, gotta do something. Let it go.

Reed is showing a bit of bad judgment, but its not illegal to drink. The rules of public intoxication are very loose for the police to do as they choose. There are no alcohol limits for PI like there is for DWI. They wrote him up and released him on the spot, so he clearly wasn't belligerent. If he was he'd have gone downtown.

99.9% of the people in the bar that night were technically PIs. Reed's problem is not his drinking necessarily, it is his problem with authority. Yea, I'd strip the C for 1 game, which is about what he deserves. Its like a $100 fine in the courts, so let's not blow it up. I'd like to see the tape of his 'resisting' arrest. He was probably being an arse to the cops for harassing Spaeth for peeing. And they didn't take kindly to it, so they thought they would feck with him too. Trump up some stuff knowing he'd get a beat down in the papers.
Cops like to screw with celebrities. A shame Reed gave them the chance, nothing more.

C'mon...Reed was cited with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and ASSAULT ... If he wasn't a Steeler, you can bet he'd have gotten it much worse than he did. If you had done what Reed did, they'd have hauled your hiney to jail. My observation has been that if anything, police will tend to give celebs a pass, especially if they're players on a local pro sports team.

feltdizz
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
May I suggest using your night stick officer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxAiLuPHnHs
I wish I knew how to embed youtube video's.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/13839/14_2008/trading-places-for-web.jpg

ikestops85
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM

C'mon...Reed was cited with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and ASSAULT ... If he wasn't a Steeler, you can bet he'd have gotten it much worse than he did. If you had done what Reed did, they'd have hauled your hiney to jail. My observation has been that if anything, police will tend to give celebs a pass, especially if they're players on a local pro sports team.

I think you'll find it goes both ways. Some officers are extremely hard on the celebs and some are extremely lax. I'll have to wait and see when additional info is made available on this. I just find it hard to believe Reed was acting like that much of an arse when his parents were in the vehicle. The whole situation seems kind of strange.

NorthCoast
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
This is where Tomlin has to send a consistent message. The precedent was set when he suspended SanStonio for the doobage incident. Will Tomlin sit a key guy before a big matchup? I think he may think twice, but remember he did not wait more than a week before suspending Tone.

just wonder if he has the kahunas to do it this time?

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
This is where Tomlin has to send a consistent message. The precedent was set when he suspended SanStonio for the doobage incident. Will Tomlin sit a key guy before a big matchup? I think he may think twice, but remember he did not wait more than a week before suspending Tone.

He said at his press conference today at the Reed will start against the Vikings.

http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8567

JAR
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Stonio could be benched because he had a replacement. Who replaces Reed with out cutting someone to make a roster spot for a kicker to come in for the benched Reed?

No one else was harmed when Stonio was benched, if Reed is benched, some one else on the team loses thier job.

Oviedo
10-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Stonio could be benched because he had a replacement. Who replaces Reed with out cutting someone to make a roster spot for a kicker to come in for the benched Reed?

No one else was harmed when Stonio was benched, if Reed is benched, some one else on the team loses thier job.

That is exactly why Reed is such a douche bag and I hope he is gone at the end of the season. His childish behavior effects others on this team and could have a huge impact if he got suspended or sat down because someone would have to lose their job and that someone unfortunately would not be the douche bag.

stlrz d
10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
May I suggest using your night stick officer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxAiLuPHnHs
I wish I knew how to embed youtube video's.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/13839/14_2008/trading-places-for-web.jpg

To the right of youtube vids you will find two boxes. One is labeled "url" and the other is labeled "embed".

Copy and past the embed code into a post. Put at the beginning of the code and after the code.

I had to BOLD the slash so it would show up. You don't do that when putting it after the embed code.

frankthetank1
10-20-2009, 09:57 PM
im sick of reed's crap. how old is this guy? he needs to grow the hell up. hopefully he gets some help because he could possibly have a drinking problem or other kinds of problems. you would think especially after missing that field goal against the bears in the last season of his contract he would try and behave himself. to think he turned down the steelers only offer. what an idiot.

stlrz d
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
im sick of reed's crap. how old is this guy? he needs to grow the hell up. hopefully he gets some help because he could possibly have a drinking problem or other kinds of problems. you would think especially after missing that field goal against the bears in the last season of his contract he would try and behave himself. to think he turned down the steelers only offer. what an idiot.

Dude, go to a bar on a Saturday night and you'll see plenty of guys Reed's age doing stupid crap.

I've done plenty myself when I was that age and still drinking. I didn't need any help. Most people don't need any help. It's simply getting drunk and acting stupid. Millions upon millions do it all over the world.

grotonsteel
10-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I think Reed's father needs to share some blame here.

Reed had too much to drink and his father should have stopped Reed doing that stupid stuff.

As far as Spaeth peeing in public..well couple of drinks in a bar could do that any human being...

proudpittsburgher
10-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Dude, go to a bar on a Saturday night and you'll see plenty of guys Reed's age doing stupid crap.

I've done plenty myself when I was that age and still drinking. I didn't need any help. Most people don't need any help. It's simply getting drunk and acting stupid. Millions upon millions do it all over the world.

Higher standard. Jeff Reed is a public figure, and this is his second strike. I'm not playing higher then though, but this guy is not like everyone else at the bar, he is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He knows what kind of trouble he gets into when he gets smashed, so don't do it. I have no sympathy for guys who put themselves in bad positions. Not even Ben and the motorcycle without the helmet situation. Skippy has a responsibility, and so far, he has proven he can't handle it. It's going to force a good kicker out of a job. But you know Jer-rah Jones will be teh first in line to take him in.

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think he should hold himself to a higher standard.

Should he assess some of what he's doing? Absolutely. But is he public enemy #1? Absolutely not.

Oviedo
10-21-2009, 09:51 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think he should hold himself to a higher standard.

Should he assess some of what he's doing? Absolutely. But is he public enemy #1? Absolutely not.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

He does have a higher standard because when he screws up it potnetially effects 53 other players and an entire franchise.

Part of being a "specialist" on a football team means you are a single point of failure and you should therefore have the professionalism not to put your team in a very bad situation because of immaturity and stupidity. For the Steelers' $1.4M I think it is not asking too much for a high level of personal responsibility in public.

stlrz d
10-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I wasn't there and I don't know exactly what he said to the cops, but let me ask you this...are cops (public servants) completely beyond reproach? Are we not allowed to talk to them? Are we not allowed to question their decisions or motives?

We don't live in a police state and I don't want to. I'm sure none of yinz want to either.

aggiebones
10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Guys these are not felonies.
These are simple misdemeanors. If he was truly 'drunk' he would have gone to jail AND it would still have been a misdemeanor. They added the assault, etc, so they have something to drop later to make it look like they are cooperating. He got no pass. The police department made sure this got to the public. They would not have called my boss had it been me...for instance.
Its something to raise eyebrows about, not pitchforks. Eyebrows are raised, appropriate punishments are being handed out. This is the least important indiscretion in the NFL. He did not 'attack' the police, so get that out of your mind. He would be blooded and in jail had he done so.