PDA

View Full Version : According to Brownsland Media...

NorthCoast
10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
WKNR reported that "an insider that was on the field and had a direct in-line view" of the stick and ball said that it was short of the first down. Some are questioning why Mangini did not challenge the call and why it was made so hurriedly.

Also this tidbit on the 'phantom' holding call by Joe Thomas against Harrison :

Browns left tackle Joe Thomas said Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison pulled a fast one on the officials to get a third-quarter holding call. The penalty nullified a short pass to Jamal Lewis that would have set up third down and 5 from the Pittsburgh 47 and forced Anderson to throw, resulting in a fumble on third and 16.

After his penalty, Thomas pleaded his case.

''I'd been meaning to say something to the official before,'' Thomas said. ''Twice previous to that, when he knows he can't get to the quarterback and he's locked up, he was flopping and trying to grab your arm and make it look like you pulled him down. That's what happened on that play. He knew he couldn't get to the quarterback so he grabbed my arm and threw his feet up in the air to get the call.

''That was the third time he did that. He finally baited the referee. The first time he did it, I said to him, 'You're not going to bait him doing that,' and Harrison said, 'Oh, I'll get one before the end of the game.' So he got it. That's the way it happens.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/64711142.html

Honestly since they won't call holding I see nothing wrong with doing what it takes to get a call.

fezziwig
10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I didn't know Harrison was such a great actor. I guess defense player of the year should have really been an Oscar ?

NorthCoast
10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh, and in case you wanted to have another look:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad76/suns_2009/36992739-e66a4d51e6ec9056aa6f505e28.jpg

Djfan
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I didn't think it was good either, but that pic shows the angle is pretty significant.

I'm guessing that is about 40 degrees +/-.

That changes everything.

Discipline of Steel
10-20-2009, 06:45 AM
WKNR reported that "an insider that was on the field and had a direct in-line view" of the stick and ball said that it was short of the first down. Some are questioning why Mangini did not challenge the call and why it was made so hurriedly.

Also this tidbit on the 'phantom' holding call by Joe Thomas against Harrison :

Browns left tackle Joe Thomas said Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison pulled a fast one on the officials to get a third-quarter holding call. The penalty nullified a short pass to Jamal Lewis that would have set up third down and 5 from the Pittsburgh 47 and forced Anderson to throw, resulting in a fumble on third and 16.

After his penalty, Thomas pleaded his case.

''I'd been meaning to say something to the official before,'' Thomas said. ''Twice previous to that, when he knows he can't get to the quarterback and he's locked up, he was flopping and trying to grab your arm and make it look like you pulled him down. That's what happened on that play. He knew he couldn't get to the quarterback so he grabbed my arm and threw his feet up in the air to get the call.

''That was the third time he did that. He finally baited the referee. The first time he did it, I said to him, 'You're not going to bait him doing that,' and Harrison said, 'Oh, I'll get one before the end of the game.' So he got it. That's the way it happens.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/64711142.html

Honestly since they won't call holding I see nothing wrong with doing what it takes to get a call.

I honestly can say I dont agree with that. Are you trying to get the QB or are you flopping around to get a flag? Analogy: when I watch soccer, i cringe at the Italians the way they go down with their arms flailing every time they get a little bump. Just maybe instead of flopping, with a little extra effort, you can get by the guy and make a play. Id like to think what James Harrison meant was the refs were going to flag Thomas for his ludicrous holdings one of these times. Thomas was speculating when he said he knew Harrison was baiting the ref. Joe Thomas = sour grapes because he knows his team sux.

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 07:23 AM
i did not know harrsion talked to the opponent .....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I honestly can say I dont agree with that. Are you trying to get the QB or are you flopping around to get a flag? Analogy: when I watch soccer, i cringe at the Italians the way they go down with their arms flailing every time they get a little bump. Just maybe instead of flopping, with a little extra effort, you can get by the guy and make a play. Id like to think what James Harrison meant was the refs were going to flag Thomas for his ludicrous holdings one of these times. Thomas was speculating when he said he knew Harrison was baiting the ref. Joe Thomas = sour grapes because he knows his team sux.

I wouldn't take anything that an upset Joe Thomas said about field talk as gospel. I'll bet that if you talk to Harrison he would deny the conversation.