PDA

View Full Version : Hines "non" TD vs Johnny Knox "TD"

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd like some consistency from NFL officials but know that is nearly impossible. Anyway, I will try to find the highlight and post it here for those that didn't see. In last night's Bears-Falcons game, Johnny Knox of the Bears caught a decent looking TD pass in the corner. It was freakin identical to Hines TD that was overturned with the exception of Knox stayed on his feet vs Hines falling to the ground. Knox caught the ball, got two feet down, then the defender punched the ball out of his hands. The ref ruled he had possession and feet down for the split second necessary to be ruled a TD. I can't remember if the Falcons challenged it but I don't think they did.

Anyway, how is this any different than Hines. He had possession, two feet and knees are down while he kept possession. Then rolled and let go of the ball.

What is the dam rule here!?!?

Just like running backs diving over the line, as soon as the nose crosses the plane its a td. The split second Hines had the ball and feet down, play should be over. How can Knox's be a TD and Hines not? Makes no dam sense...

frankthetank1
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
i cant believe they over turned hines 2nd td catch. that was absolute bs. also lee evans had a catch that was similar in ot that was overturned which it shouldnt of been. knox's td was less of a catch than both hines's and evans. i like replay but its getting out of hand. besides hines was out of bounds when the ball slipped so it should of been a td. he was in bounds he rolled out the ball came out a little bit. awful call. i also had hines in one of my fantasy games so it really effed me

JTP53609
10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
replay makes them overthink too much, i know a catch when i see a catch, they have taken the rule book which is simple and now bc of replay it has turned into the most confusing what is and what is not book ever...

MeetJoeGreene
10-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I was thinking the same thing... very inconsistent rulings.

I thought the Falcons should have challenged (I don't think they did)...

If Hines was overturned, that should have been as well.

Starlifter
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
or ask yourself this. if the defender had punched the ball out of hines hands after his 3rd roll - would they have given him the score? i bet they would have!

NWNewell
10-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Stop whining.

Ward's TD was not a catch (close, but no). And neither was Knox. Just because the blew the Knox call does not mean they should blow every call.

They screwed up the Knox call.

Sweed's TD catch a couple weeks ago was incomplete.

Ward's TD catch this weekend was incomplete.

Now drop it and move one.

RussBII
10-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Hines went to the ground with the ball, and the rules you have to control the ball all they way through that process to maintain possession.

Knox never hit the ground, so he actually had possession before it was knocked away/dropped.

That's how i interpreted it. Still BS though.

Zigs
10-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Stop whining.

Ward's TD was not a catch (close, but no). And neither was Knox. Just because the blew the Knox call does not mean they should blow every call.

Woah dude relax....

Hines' catch was not a catch based on the current stating of the rule, but I think what most are trying to say here is that this rule needs to be looked at and fixed.

Hines' catch was a good catch in my opinion and I think in most people's opinions. He had full control of the ball when he landed and only lost it because of the rolls (out of bounds.)

This is obviously a rule that needs to be considered for clarification.

ikestops85
10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Stop whining.

Woah dude relax....

Hines' catch was not a catch based on the current stating of the rule, but I think what most are trying to say here is that this rule needs to be looked at and fixed.

Hines' catch was a good catch in my opinion and I think in most people's opinions. He had full control of the ball when he landed and only lost it because of the rolls (out of bounds.)

This is obviously a rule that needs to be considered for clarification.

Now this I agree with because the current rules say it's not a catch. Now should those rules be looked at? Absofreakinlutely!!

By the way, I don't think the Evans play would be ruled a catch even under the old rules. Evans never controlled the ball until he was out of bounds ... it was the classic receiver bobbling the ball play.

frankthetank1
10-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Stop whining.

if you dont like the topic of this thread than dont read it and dont reply. what difference does it make to you if this is discussed? everyone is entitled to their own opinion. who are you to tell people what to do on a mb?

BDESteel
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Stop whining.

Now drop it and move one.WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN STOP WHINING!

Those are precious fantasy points lost buddy. :lol:

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Stop whining.

:Blah :Blah

You don't have to read or reply, just move on. I was simply questioning the consistency and asking if anyone knew the actual rule.

skyhawk
10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Perhaps this is the same rule that made Polamalu's interception of Peyton Manning in the 2005 playoffs incomplete?

NOT! :HeadBanger

Scarletfire1970
10-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Stop whining.

if you dont like the topic of this thread than dont read it and dont reply. what difference does it make to you if this is discussed? everyone is entitled to their own opinion. who are you to tell people what to do on a mb?Exactly.

stlrz d
10-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Perhaps this is the same rule that made Polamalu's interception of Peyton Manning in the 2005 playoffs incomplete?

NOT! :HeadBanger

This rule exists because of that play.

And I'd like to take credit for being the first one to whine about this awful rule here on the planet...now I'll just move one [sic]. :lol:

NWNewell
10-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Stop whining.

lol... fair enough. :Cheers

But otherwise, we sound like Browns fans. :nono So my comments were to do Steelers fans a public service.

Everyone plays by the same rules. Everyone knows the rules. If it happened to our oppoents, the same rules would apply.

The refs got it right, now all we can hope for is that they get it right when it's the other team that this happens to. The refs got the Sweed play and the Ward play correct. We have no reason to sound like the brownies or ratbirds.

And I happen to like the rule for the simple fact that it removes the "judgement cal" out of the refs hands. The more judgement you can remove from the refs decision, the better. Subjective rule suck.

fezziwig
10-19-2009, 10:43 PM
What if Hines boobled the ball the entire time in bounds and while crossing the goal but, after he was out of bounds, managed to get the ball under control and have possesion ? Would that be a touch down ?

I thought the call was bogus or the rule is bogus even if it didn't happen toa Steeler.
A. He caught the ball in bounds.

B. He had control of the ball in bounds.

C. He crossed the goal with a controlled ball.

D. He fell out of bounds to the ground and still had control of the ball.

E. Once he rolled over he let go of the ball.

F. Since when was catching the ball, crossing the goal line not a touchdown.

G. How many seconds or minutes does a guy have to hold on, until he gets back to the bench ?

Once you catch the ball, have control in bounds along with crossing the goal, it's a freakin TD. You have accomplished your goal.

does this mean that any defender can now smack the ball out of your hands once you catch a TD in bounds or out of bounds and nolify the TD ?

This NFL is getting too cute for their own good.

You realize, had Hines been Moss or any patriot or Manning receiver, this would have been a TD.

stlrz d
10-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Stop whining.

But they still have to judge. Hence the review. A Bills WR had a play called a TD, reviewed and overturned as well.

I'm not complaining that it happened to us...I'm complaining that it happens period. I hate this rule.
lol... fair enough. :Cheers

But otherwise, we sound like Browns fans. :nono So my comments were to do Steelers fans a public service.

Everyone plays by the same rules. Everyone knows the rules. If it happened to our oppoents, the same rules would apply.

The refs got it right, now all we can hope for is that they get it right when it's the other team that this happens to. The refs got the Sweed play and the Ward play correct. We have no reason to sound like the brownies or ratbirds.

And I happen to like the rule for the simple fact that it removes the "judgement cal" out of the refs hands. The more judgement you can remove from the refs decision, the better. Subjective rule suck.