PDA

View Full Version : It will be tough getting to Favre in time

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM
He's smart enough to slide L/R a bit and hit the slot receiver for 8-12 yards every time.

We're gonna need Troy's best, to give Wood and Timmons, not to mention Harrison, enough time to get to Favre. Otherwise it's going to be a long day for our secondary.

Not to mention AP ...

Jooser
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
The will be to get out in front of them quick. They're defense was very suspect yesterday. If Ben comes out on all cylinders, we should be able to pull it out.

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Teams are finding ways to run on them if memory serves me. They aren't the brick wall they used to be...but our OL is gonna need to be stout. In fact the whole team/staff/etc has gotta bring their A+ game, we aren't playing the Lions/Browns here.

steelblood
10-19-2009, 09:03 AM
He's smart enough to slide L/R a bit and hit the slot receiver for 8-12 yards every time.

We're gonna need Troy's best, to give Wood and Timmons, not to mention Harrison, enough time to get to Favre. Otherwise it's going to be a long day for our secondary.

Not to mention AP ...

I'm more worried about Ben holding it too long against that Minnesota pass rush. He could get sacked 8-10 times if he holds it like he did yesterday. I don't want him getting injured. They better install some good screens.

pfelix73
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Control the TOP and we should be OK. Keep their O off and their D on the field should do the trick. We need to run effectively in this game.

:tt1

phillyesq
10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Ray Rice had a lot of success yesterday running and catching the ball against them. I don't think running up the middle will work, but I think that they may be exploitable off-tackle/outside. I think we can also attack them with Mendy in the short passing game.

Starks is going to have his hands full with Allen. The Steelers are probably going to have to help him out. But their secondary looks somewhat vulnerable.

This will be a big challenge for the D. Berrian and Rice can stretch the field, they have a solid TE, and Peterson is far and away the best RB in the NFL right now. Favre will make some mistakes and throw pics, and the D really needs to capitalize on that.

proudpittsburgher
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I am starting to feel a lot better about the game on Sunday. Certainly not a cakewalk, and a very lose-able game, but I feel better about it. We will have to get pressure on olf man favre, somehow, though.

feltdizz
10-19-2009, 11:54 AM
We need to run some draws and TE screens. Their front 4 is all about getting upfield but they were damn near disrespectful with their discipline against the run

ikestops85
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
We seem to have an amazing ability to play to the talent level of our opponent. I think it will be a close game that is again decided in the 4th quarter.

I almost hope we are behind by 3 ... 1st and 15 from our own 18 (after a procedure call against Colon of course) with 1:46 left on the clock.

Then I will feel somewhat comfortable ... at least much more comfortable than if the situation were reversed.

NorthCoast
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Ray Rice had a lot of success yesterday running and catching the ball against them. I don't think running up the middle will work, but I think that they may be exploitable off-tackle/outside. I think we can also attack them with Mendy in the short passing game.

Starks is going to have his hands full with Allen. The Steelers are probably going to have to help him out. But their secondary looks somewhat vulnerable.

This will be a big challenge for the D. Berrian and Rice can stretch the field, they have a solid TE, and Peterson is far and away the best RB in the NFL right now. Favre will make some mistakes and throw pics, and the D really needs to capitalize on that.

I agree...Allen is exactly the kind of DE Starks struggles with speed and power (of course most tackles struggle with Allen).

I think we need to protect against the long ball and hope we can get a stop on the underneath stuff. I'm also not convinced Troy will be Troy...he certainly didn't look it late yesterday.
I think our O can score on them, just not sure they can score enough to keep up.

JTP53609
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
it will certainly be a challenge stopping the best running back in the NFL without our best run stopper on the edge, and I can see percy harvin giving us fits all day, BUT...I really feel good about this game, the vikings are 26th against the pass, and I think Mendy will be able to run right (like SD) to try to avoid the williams wall along with jared allen, dont get me wrong it will be hard to do but it can happen. The Vikings are a cute story, but I really have not been impressed with the defense, Brett Favre is out of his mind and AP is AP, so I look for a high scoring game but I think Favre will have trouble, he is 0-1 all time in Pittsburgh, (Remember that MNF game in 98, loved it)

flippy
10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
This could be the week his arm falls off. He's old and it's gonna be cold.

Sugar
10-19-2009, 08:36 PM
This could be the week his arm falls off. He's old and it's gonna be cold.

I was thinking something similar. It's getting colder out and these guys aren't playing in the dome this week. Yes, I know that they play in the NFC North and yes, I know that Favre played all those years in the frozen tundra.

That said, if we can get to him- no just sacks, but hits on him, I think we can really disrupt his rythm. If we can score and make them have to pass, it can take AP out of the game a little and make Brett have to beat us.

It's not a great poison, but it's the one I'd pick.

fezziwig
10-19-2009, 08:49 PM
It's always tough getting to a QB when you have no pass rush.

stlrz d
10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm more worried about Ben holding it too long against that Minnesota pass rush. He could get sacked 8-10 times if he holds it like he did yesterday. I don't want him getting injured. They better install some good screens.

He held it so long against the Browns because he could. The line was giving him time to look.

Sure about that (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go)?

Shoe
10-19-2009, 10:17 PM
The will be to get out in front of them quick.

That's what I think too. Give Ben the ball... let him win the game for us.

If we can get up on them, it does take some of the weight of AP, and put it on Favre--which is what we want. The Favre love-fest is quite overrated. He is still pretty good; and he is an all-time great--but he's made out to be something he is not.

He will make mistakes. He may make some big plays too, but I feel better putting the onus on him.

NWNewell
10-19-2009, 10:21 PM
To be honest, Minnisota's game is not that prolific.

Their offense is 14th (348yd/g) with rushing 9th and passing 17th (though don't let the passing rank fool you, they can pass better than that, Farve is completing 70% of his passes for 109 rating... and he's been liking the underneath stuff this year). Their offense is fairly balanced and you can't make them one dimentional. They'll get some yards and some points.

Their defense is 18th (341yd/g) with rushing 9th and passing 24th. So as well as our passing game as been playing, we should be able to put up some yards and points. Our running game should at least be able to keep them honest.

Their net yardage is a meger 7yds/g. But their biggest assest is playing mistake free up to this point in the season. They are +8 in the TO department and the gunslinger has only thrown 2 INT's. We have to hold onto the football next week. TURNOVERS WILL KILL US. Minnisota will not give the ball right back like the Browns. I hope Tomlin is horse whiping them this week over ball security. (And I hope Ben keeps it under control too).

So if we take care of the ball next week, I like our chances. But if we have more than 1 TO on Sunday, I'll be pretty worried. Also, I'm a little worried about the field position game. Minnisota's special teams is playing much better than ours overall.

TO and special teams are the X factors. If we keep those in check, we will take care of the Vikings. If not, we'll be 4-3 going into the break.

stlrz d
10-19-2009, 10:24 PM
The will be to get out in front of them quick.

That's what I think too. Give Ben the ball... let him win the game for us.

If we can get up on them, it does take some of the weight of AP, and put it on Favre--which is what we want. The Favre love-fest is quite overrated. He is still pretty good; and he is an all-time great--but he's made out to be something he is not.

He will make mistakes. He may make some big plays too, but I feel better putting the onus on him.

Teams have been stacking the LOS to make Favre beat them...just like they've been doing to us to make Ben beat them.

I hope LeBeau doesn't make that mistake. Play the run straight up, stay disciplined and get after Favre. That's the way to shut them down.

NWNewell
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I hope LeBeau doesn't make that mistake. Play the run straight up, stay disciplined and get after Favre. That's the way to shut them down.

I agree. Show a few packages with Troy up there blitzing just to make Farve think about him, but for the most part, play a balanced game.

I don't think we will overract to AP. I think LeBeau knows he is most dangerous in the opened field. I'd rather not stack the box and play him straight up at the line, and have extra persuers in case he does get to that second level, and make Farve go through an extra progression. If we don't, AP will gouge up a few times and our pass rush may not have time to get there. Our front 7 is doing a good job stuffing the run. Let Minnisota prove they can beat our front 7 before we commite too many more men.

Shoe
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Well, I'm not saying we should stack the line necessarily. I want us to come out, guns blaring (i.e. the Colts '05 playoff game) where we let Ben air it out. Once we have the lead, then I feel much better playing Favre/AP.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2009, 12:06 AM

He held it so long against the Browns because he could. The line was giving him time to look.

Sure about that (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go)?

Third in the league ain't bad, but note that we are playing the two teams that are tied for first in sacks in the next two games (it's amazing how one elite pass rusher can impact an overall defense like Jared Allen, Elvis Dumervil, and James Harrison can). Ben needs to stop double pumping for a couple of weeks and just take the underneath stuff. If not, he'll really need the bye week in between those two games to recuperate.