PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed cited for public intoxication

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Last night. Reed's adolescent act is getting old. He isn't some college kid. I hope the Steelers look elsewhere for a kicker next year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm

Steelers kicker Reed cited for public intoxication
Monday, October 19, 2009
By Dan Gigler, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was given a citation for public intoxication and disorderly conduct around 9 p.m. last night outside of McFadden's bar on the North Shore, according to Pittsburgh Police.

Police said that he will be mailed a summons to Pittsburgh City Court.

The incident occurred several hours after Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers 27-14 win over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Earlier this year, Mr. Reed, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

In that incident, witnesses told police that Mr. Reed, 30, went into the store bathroom and then became infuriated that there were no towels in the dispenser. He began banging on the dispenser and hurling profanities at employees, even after leaving the store.

Mr. Reed received a summary citation and was fined $543.50, which includes $210 in restitution to the store.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/10 ... z0UNnsvaHk (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm#ixzz0UNnsvaHk)

MeetJoeGreene
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
9:00 PM. Let's reconstruct this timeline.

.. the game ended at 4-ish...

by the time all the post game stuff (interviews, coaches talk, shower) is completed.. 5:30 or 6.

He was trashed and disorderly at 9.

He got busy drinking in a HURRY!!!

Dork.

SteelBucks
10-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't kick Reed to the curb yet (no pun intended)....he just needs to grow up.

Jooser
10-19-2009, 08:18 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc163/olorinoflorien/nakedgun.gif

Nothing to see here! Keep Moving!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't kick Reed to the curb yet (no pun intended)....he just needs to grow up.

He is 30 years old. Do you really think he needs more time to "grow up." He is a professional athlete getting paid multi millions per year. He should have grown up when he signed that contract.

Personally, I hope he isn't back. As we have seen this year he isn't money anymore and I have always had an issue with his short kick offs. Just like any other position go for a better option.

JTP53609
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
I have a problem with him doing this, now I know he should not go home and read a book or watch tv every night, he should be able to go out and have fun, but when he does this once now twice than I have a problem, one time being dumb is one too many and now that he did it again shows his immaturity. 10 years ago he would be gone at the drop of a hat, now the NFL has all kinds of morons and it begining to be okay to mess up over and over again. I think this is the last straw, and I expect them to start working out kickers in the offseason and wave goobye to drunky...

SteelCrazy
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Who cares??? He's got the little man complex and drinks until he is 10 feet tall. As long as he continues to make kicks he's alright with me. Those kicks he missed were in horrible field conditions. Drink on Johnny Rotten.......... :Beer :Beer :Beer :Beer :Beer

steelblood
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I think he could be facing a suspension. That would really put us in a bind with the roster. Maybe we could release Davis now that D. Johnson is healthy. Then, of course, we'd need to find another kicker. Czech maybe.

kindlecatsb'ng
10-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Sounds like Skippy has an ETOH abuse problem.
Do not see the Steelers putting up with this recurrent issue (this is not the Bengals).
He needs help. If his problem contributes to his performance on the field, this needs addressed.

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Why in the world would he be suspended for being drunk in public? He wasn't driving at the time. He didn't beat anyone up (or even destroy any towel dispensers for that matter). He didn't "make it rain" and then have someone in his posse shoot a bouncer, paralyzing him. This is a non-story.

Dude did his job yesterday. Then he went out and celebrated afterward just like many of the 65,000 folks who watched him did. The only thing that would prevent him from being re-signed would be if he had more performances like in Chicago, missing two clutch FG's. As long as he performs on the field, the fact that our kicker likes to hang out in bars after games should not enter into it.

JAR
10-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Oh no!!!! The Steelers have a 30 year old who likes to go out and drink. Cut him now. :roll:

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
So it is OK with what Chris Henry was doing. Sorry but I won't be a hypocite because Reed is a Steeler.

Twice in one year this guy has a run in with police. I can't believe some of you guys are OK with this and trying to justify it as OK. How many of you have had run ins twice in the last year with police? But you try to give this guy a pass. Sorry I won't. This is not how Steelers should act in the community.

LouSteel
10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I was watching the game at a sports bar and went outside with some friends to smoke. We all took our beers.

Because of that, I could've been cited for the same "crime" Reed was cited for.

This is a non-story for me. If Reed continues getting in the news for something other than making kicks, we might have a problem.

But let's be honest -- anyone who leaves a bar after a few drinks could be cited for this nonsense.

phillyesq
10-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Why in the world would he be suspended for being drunk in public? He wasn't driving at the time. He didn't beat anyone up (or even destroy any towel dispensers for that matter). He didn't "make it rain" and then have someone in his posse shoot a bouncer, paralyzing him. This is a non-story.

Dude did his job yesterday. Then he went out and celebrated afterward just like many of the 65,000 folks who watched him did. The only thing that would prevent him from being re-signed would be if he had more performances like in Chicago, missing two clutch FG's. As long as he performs on the field, the fact that our kicker likes to hang out in bars after games should not enter into it.

I'm inclined to lean this way as well. Drunk and disorderly has the same effect as a speeding ticket. Which is more acceptable -- having a few drinks too many and get cited for it, or taking teammates to a strip club (as Ben was recently reported to do) and spending a ton of money on strippers. I realize that one is legal and the other is not, but just judging things from an objective basis, is one worse than the other? Reed likes to booze it up, but so far, his only victim has been a paper towel dispenser. If it goes beyond that, and he starts fighting, driving drunk, etc., than that is a different story.

I would have to suspect that while he was at McFadden's, he was probably celebrating with fans. It may not be the type of community involvement that makes for good press, but I would suspect that if you were out there drinking with him after the game, it was probably fun. And there is something to be said for that type of involvement as well.

Also, Reed can kick at Heinz field, something that few people can do. I don't think that replacing him will be easy.

NWNewell
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Not condoning his actions but come on.

He got drunk and belligerent (ok, twice).

He smacked around a paper towel dispenser and cussed out an attendant. Big freakin' deal.

Public intoxication is a BS citation anyway. Were do many of you get drunk at? A bar? And where is this bar? In a public place? This kind of thing happens all the time. He crossed the line and got fined.

I guarantee you there are several +30yr olds on this board that have gotten belligerently drunk more than twice in the past year.

I'd consider a single DUI (or Holmes driving around smoking weed) far worse than both of these offenses combined.

Again, don't get me wrong, I do not condone his actions. I'd have no problem if Tomlin suspend him for a game as a disciplinary action. But I am by no means ready to crucify him and run him out of town.

pfelix73
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I think that if you asked them, you'd find out that a handful of the guys on the team go out Sunday nights and party. I wouldn't be surprised if Ben is one of them. I remember reading on here or over on the old Pittlive website about someone running into a bunch of them on FWP's birthday a few years ago. I'm sure they all have designated drivers.- They said Ben was riding shotgun in a Cadillac SUV.

Anyway, perhaps because of his 'minor' issues with the law he wasn't offered a contract in the off season. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if they went in another direction in the off season as well. The short kickoffs are a concern...- Always was. Maybe the answer is to draft a kicker in the 4th, 5th round- the best one out of college, like they did with Sep. And then just deal with the growing pains that come with a rookie kicker.

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
For what it is worth, the short kickoffs yesterday were by design. After Cribbs took back a kickoff that Reed kicked to inside the 5 yard line, after that he was purposefully trying to kick fly balls to the up-men instead of deep to Cribbs (if you recall, one of them fair-caught one of his kickoffs because he got enough air under it to allow the coverage team to get down there by the time the ball was caught...of course, later Spaeth does the same thing, except that there was no one even remotely close to him; he could have walked for 10 yards easy).

phillyesq
10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
For what it is worth, the short kickoffs yesterday were by design. After Cribbs took back a kickoff that Reed kicked to inside the 5 yard line, after that he was purposefully trying to kick fly balls to the up-men instead of deep to Cribbs (if you recall, one of them fair-caught one of his kickoffs because he got enough air under it to allow the coverage team to get down there by the time the ball was caught...of course, later Spaeth does the same thing, except that there was no one even remotely close to him; he could have walked for 10 yards easy).

This is something that he has been asked to do over the years by the coaching staff. During Tomlin's first year, when the coverage units were awful, the high, short kickoffs were the norm.

grotonsteel
10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't see this as an issue as long as he does not have a DUI or get involve in a brawl or "make it rain"

People drink alcohol to get intoxicated :wink: :D

The only worrying thing is Reed getting intoxicated at 9:00 PM...i think it's too early on a game day or maybe he had too many "long island" :lol:

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 11:55 AM
So it is OK with what Chris Henry was doing. Sorry but I won't be a hypocite because Reed is a Steeler.

Twice in one year this guy has a run in with police. I can't believe some of you guys are OK with this and trying to justify it as OK. How many of you have had run ins twice in the last year with police? But you try to give this guy a pass. Sorry I won't. This is not how Steelers should act in the community.

Oviedo, I gotta throw a penalty flag or call time out here. Chris Henry was punching dudes the face (allegedly), throwing bricks through car windows and buying alcohol for 17-18 year old chicks...

I'm sorry but I don't put anything Reed has done on that level (although causing damage to paper towel dispenser is sort of on the level with breaking car windows). Either way, they are both knuckleheads, but I agree with others who say being drunk in public place can be interpreted so many different ways. If he wasn't harming anyone or a threat to anyone, this can be overblown.

pfelix73
10-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Here's more to the story- just heard it on the radio.

Matt Spaeth was outside his vehicle taking a leak in public and Reed was in the vehicle waiting. The police show up to confront Spaeth and Reed gets out and then starts talking smack to the police.

Reed ended up in hand cuffs for a while. Nothing has been mentioned about what happened to Spaeth. They also said this all happened outside the stadium in a parking lot. Is one of the parking lots close to this McFadden's Bar? Must be.. I don't know where it is.

Suppose we'll hear more as the day goes by.

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Ha...awesome. McFaddens is right next to the stadium there. I went in the last two times I've been to Steelers games (victories over Chargers both times might I add :tt2 ).

I can't imagine him finding a "discrete" place to take a whiz, so it had to be pretty obvious. nice going spaeth...wtf!

Ghost
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I can't believe Spaeth got caught. It should be easy for him to hide. It's not as if he's 6'7"....

pfelix73
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Spaeth was cited for urinating in public. What a dumba$$.

grotonsteel
10-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Too much of Iron City beer for Spaeth...... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Use the freaking rest room before leaving the bar/pub...

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Oviedo, I gotta throw a penalty flag or call time out here. Chris Henry was punching dudes the face (allegedly), throwing bricks through car windows and buying alcohol for 17-18 year old chicks...

I'm sorry but I don't put anything Reed has done on that level (although causing damage to paper towel dispenser is sort of on the level with breaking car windows). Either way, they are both knuckleheads, but I agree with others who say being drunk in public place can be interpreted so many different ways. If he wasn't harming anyone or a threat to anyone, this can be overblown.

Its about being a good citizen. Reed is blessed to do what many would love to do and getting paid handsomely to do it. He's 30 years old. Where does personal responsibility start?

Anytime you get into a confrontation with police you are wrong. I think using the excuse of "he wasn't harming anyone" is lame. So we wait until he gets napped for DUI Manslaughter before we care.

He is a Steeler not a Bumgal. The standards should be higher on both the parts of the players and the fans. I guess that they aren't and that is a sad statement.

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM

He could have gotten uromyositis poisoning and died! :P

flippy
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
My biggest beef with Reed is he must have started drinking during the game before he kicked the ball off to Cribbs.

pfelix73
10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
u·ro·cys·ti·tis (yr-s-stts)
n.
Inflammation of the urinary bladder

Blame it on the cops why don't ya? :lol:

Is this something different than Uromyositosi or whatever you had written there. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Its about being a good citizen. Reed is blessed to do what many would love to do and getting paid handsomely to do it. He's 30 years old. Where does personal responsibility start?

Anytime you get into a confrontation with police you are wrong. I think using the excuse of "he wasn't harming anyone" is lame. So we wait until he gets napped for DUI Manslaughter before we care.

He is a Steeler not a Bumgal. The standards should be higher on both the parts of the players and the fans. I guess that they aren't and that is a sad statement.

Would I lose my job if I cited for public intoxication on a Sunday night? No.

Would I lose my job if I was guilty of DUI manslaughter? Yes.

The citation was unfortunate, but not criminal. It should not affect his job status whatsoever.

If you did what Jeff did (not on company time), would you expect your employer to sanction you in the spirit of "holding you to a higher standard?"

sd steel
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe Spaeth's litle bro stole his public urination pass....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCqfK0KN ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCqfK0KNch8&feature=related)

Reed is a drunken idiot kicker to borrow from Peyton.

BTW the board is slow as hell.

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
u·ro·cys·ti·tis (yr-s-stts)
n.
Inflammation of the urinary bladder

Blame it on the cops why don't ya? :lol:

Is this something different than Uromyositosi or whatever you had written there. :lol:

Okay...the Seinfeld script spelled it "Uromysitisis"...that's a close enough spelling for a fake disease as far as I am concerned. :wink:

Djfan
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
If I remember correctly, Reed already turned down his contract offer he got this off season.

He may be gone anyway.

What happened to the other kicker we had in the pre season? Can't remember his name.

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM

The citation was unfortunate, but not criminal. It should not affect his job status whatsoever.

If you did what Jeff did (not on company time), would you expect your employer to sanction you in the spirit of "holding you to a higher standard?"

I'm twenty years older than Mr. reed and no I have never done what he did and been cited by the police for it let alone twice in one year.

If I did would it potentially effect my job status...yes. Not to go into specifics but I have a security clearance that this would definitely be an issue. Therefore I choose to be personally responsible and take responsibiliy for my action. I guess this is a more radical concept than I may have believed before this morning.

Sorry not to support your conjecture as you may have hoped.

Uncle Rico
10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Jeff Reed might just be the illigitimate son of E-girls coach Andy Reed. It actually makes perfect sense if you think about it.

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM

I'm twenty years older than Mr. reed and no I have never done what he did and been cited by the police for it let alone twice in one year.

If I did would it potentially effect my job status...yes. Not to go into specifics but I have a security clearance that this would definitely be an issue. Therefore I choose to be personally responsible and take responsibiliy for my action. I guess this is a more radical concept than I may have believed before this morning.

Sorry not to support your conjecture as you may have hoped.

Well, Jeff Reed does not have a security clearance. He gets paid to kick footballs. And, for what it is worth, I do not drink alcohol. Not a drop. Never have. So I am in no means justifying his behavior. But I don't think that it is worth any sort of job action.

fezziwig
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Last thing this team needs is some chuckle head kicker causing waves and that goes for, I can't block or do much of anything else Spaeth. Be it now or the off season, I couldn't care if either one got their pink slips. If Reed can't grow up, respect his team, the city and others, let him go.

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Last thing this team needs is some chuckle head kicker causing waves and that goes for, I can't block or do much of anything else Spaeth. Be it now or the off season, I couldn't care if either one got their pink slips. If Reed can't grow up, respect his team, the city and others, let him go.

:Agree

To paraphrase an old saying "The name on the front of the jersey (in this case on the side of the helmet) is more important than the name on the back of the jersey"

I want the Steelers to have the highest personal conduct standards in the league. Like you said, if that means a chucklehead like Reed moves on so be it.

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Obviously the NFL takes Reeds misconduct a little more seriously than some posters. Now think what the numb nuts may force the team to do with a roster move to sign a kicker if he is suspended. That means the team may have to cut someone and expose them to waivers and risk losing them. Good move douche. Keep your mouth shut.

NFL will review incident involving Steelers' Reed, police
Monday, October 19, 2009
By Dan Gigler and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Jeff Reed

The NFL said today it is investigating an incident last night in which Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was wrestled to the ground by Pittsburgh police officers, placed under arrest and given multiple citations after a drunken confrontation outside a North Shore bar.

Mr. Reed's Atlanta-based agent, Don Henderson, said today, however, that his client was wrongfully detained.

"We're contesting it," Mr. Henderson said. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that. We're definitely going to contest it. It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said today that the team "is still gathering details and will not have a comment until we have more information." The NFL is also investigating the incident, according to a league spokesman.

According to police, the incident occurred around 9 p.m. outside McFadden's bar, several hours after Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers 27-14 win over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Police had been dispatched to the 200 block of North Shore Drive for an unrelated incident when the responding officers noticed a man, later identified as Steelers tight end Matthew Spaeth, urinating outside a large, white SUV parked nearby.

The officer went to Mr. Spaeth to issue a citation when, police said, the Steelers kicker got out of the vehicle.

He refused to get back into the vehicle, which was driven by his father. Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighters stance," according to a police affidavit.

The confrontation was swift as one officer put Mr. Reed in an arm lock while a second officer forced him to the ground.

Mr. Reed continued to resist as the officers struggled to get his hands behind him to be put in cuffs, the affidavit said.

Police said the kicker smelled strongly of alcohol and he appeared to be intoxicated.

After the suspect calmed down, police issued a citation for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. He was released at the scene to his father's custody, police said, and will receive a summons in the mail that will order him to court to face the charges.

It is the second time this year that Mr. Reed has had a run-in with police. Earlier this year in Westmoreland County, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

In that incident, witnesses told police that Mr. Reed, 30, went into the store bathroom and then became infuriated that there were no towels in the dispenser. He began banging on the dispenser and hurling profanities at employees, even after leaving the store.

Mr. Reed received a summary citation and was fined $543.50, which includes $210 in restitution to the store.

The NFL fined Mr. Reed $10,000 for that incident.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/10 ... z0UQw8ZtEK (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm#ixzz0UQw8ZtEK)

fezziwig
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Reed needs to go to Youtube, look up Chris Rock on, How not to get your azz kicked by the police. Kind of the same prinicpals on what went on with Reed.

If you haven't seen this on Youtube, go right ahead, you won't be disappointed.

stlrz d
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Yawn.

Djfan
10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
To me, this is more than just public drunkeness. That is if the police version is correct.

phillyesq
10-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Something tells me the truth is probably between what the police had to say and Reed's account of the story. He may have said something out of line, but it is just as likely that the police overreacted.

NJ-STEELER
10-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Here's more to the story- just heard it on the radio.

Matt Spaeth was outside his vehicle taking a leak in public and Reed was in the vehicle waiting. The police show up to confront Spaeth and Reed gets out and then starts talking smack to the police.

Reed ended up in hand cuffs for a while. Nothing has been mentioned about what happened to Spaeth. They also said this all happened outside the stadium in a parking lot. Is one of the parking lots close to this McFadden's Bar? Must be.. I don't know where it is.

Suppose we'll hear more as the day goes by.

i was there too after both games.

weren't spaeth and reed guests at the bar after the playoff game?

NJ-STEELER
10-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Something tells me the truth is probably between what the police had to say and Reed's account of the story. He may have said something out of line, but it is just as likely that the police overreacted.

thats what i think happened as well

he probably thought to himself "hey, i'm a steeler. i'll get spaeth out of this mess"
and after a few drinks didn't think the cops were serious when they told him to stay out of it

Discipline of Steel
10-20-2009, 06:55 AM
If this type of crime warranted losing your job, most of the nation (and Planet) would be unemployed.

stlrz d
10-20-2009, 07:16 AM
If this type of crime warranted losing your job, most of the nation (and Planet) would be unemployed.

Correct. I know for sure I would have lost many jobs in my younger days.

I was reading the story on ESPN's AFC North blog along with all the comments. I couldn't help but shake my head at all the "it's so clear that he needs help" posts. Many of them, no doubt, posted by the self righteous who have done similar things.

Jeff Reed is a young, single, rich guy who likes to go out and party. He plays for the Steelers so he gets a little full of himself.

Sounds like about half the league.