PDA

View Full Version : The Evidence is In

NorthCoast
10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Those that downplay the effect of coordinators on a team are seeing evidence this season that they CAN make a big difference in a unit's play.

Exhibit 1: Eagles lose DC Johnson and their D looks a mere shell of what it usually is against a horrible Raiders team.

Exhibit 2: The Ravens lose Ryan to the Jets. Jets D turns legit in half a season and the Ravens D looks like it could slip out of the top 10.

Exhibit 3: Conversely the Ravens bring in Cameron as OC and all of a sudden they can put a lot of points on the board. (Sporting News ranks Cameron as the #1 OC in the league).

Just goes to show coordinator gameplans can make an ordinary unit above ordinary.

BTW, I am a BA-hater but I will give the guy props for his gameplan today. I think he called a very balanced and effective game. It helps that the Browns defense blows but BA called some nice plays to exploit their weak spots (which is pretty much everything).

stlrz d
10-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Just keep in mind that BA and Ben split play calling duties. Ben gets some of the credit too. :)

Shoe
10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
BTW, I am a BA-hater but I will give the guy props for his gameplan today. I think he called a very balanced and effective game. It helps that the Browns defense blows but BA called some nice plays to exploit their weak spots (which is pretty much everything).

If you are in a footrace with 5th graders, you will look like Usain Bolt.

If the street is wide open, anyone can be a great parallel parker.

If you are the only guy at an all female school, it's easy to be a mack daddy.

Lonbull
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Just keep in mind that BA and Ben split play calling duties. Ben gets some of the credit too. :)

That's perfectly said - Ben DOES get some of the credit - but he never gets any of the blame for the play calling.

L.B.

stlrz d
10-18-2009, 11:00 PM

That's perfectly said - Ben DOES get some of the credit - but he never gets any of the blame for the play calling.

L.B.

There seems to be this odd coincidence though...when Ben calls the plays they tend to work. :)

Starlifter
10-18-2009, 11:52 PM
just a mild observation and it doesn't really matter who get's credit or blame BUT cleveland has basically 2 quality players. shawn rogers and josh cribbs. why would we keep trying to run up the middle and keep kicking to cribbs? yeah, finally at the end we were squibbing it but the damage had already been done. it's hard to complain when ben has over 400 yards passing so i'm not really trying to, but i think our running game and special teams could have been more effective.

btw, does willie (formerly FWP) ever start again for us?

BURGH86STEEL
10-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Those that downplay the effect of coordinators on a team are seeing evidence this season that they CAN make a big difference in a unit's play.

Exhibit 1: Eagles lose DC Johnson and their D looks a mere shell of what it usually is against a horrible Raiders team.

Exhibit 2: The Ravens lose Ryan to the Jets. Jets D turns legit in half a season and the Ravens D looks like it could slip out of the top 10.

Exhibit 3: Conversely the Ravens bring in Cameron as OC and all of a sudden they can put a lot of points on the board. (Sporting News ranks Cameron as the #1 OC in the league).

Just goes to show coordinator gameplans can make an ordinary unit above ordinary.

Did you watch the Eagles vs Raiders? The defense gave up a few plays but was not the problem in that game. The offense did not show up. There were some other contributing factors. Eagles defense is still a good unit.

The Ravens are not making plays. Just as our defense did not make plays in our 2 losses.
Steelers still have the same coaching staff. On the flip side, our offense is begging to play better. They need to work on cleaning up their mistakes. They can't continue to turn over the ball & drop passes.

One big reason why the Ravens offense has improved is that they are putting more trust into Flacco. Flacco has improved over last season.

Coordinators can make a difference. Is it to the level that most people think? I still stand by that most of what happens is a result of how well the players execute.

It would be interesting see if we could prove your hypothesis. How well do units improve with new DC's or OC's? Is it for the long term or short term? How do new players factor into the equation? I am sure there are other factors.

I a lot of coaches believe in continuity. We could be seeing positive results with our own offense. Time will tell. Even then, we have to take into consideration the issues they had with the Oline and RB's last season as opposed to this season. It is usually multi factorial when units improve or lose an edge.

steelblood
10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Ben was very good today, but he can't hold the ball like that against Minnesota. He'll get killed.

JTP53609
10-19-2009, 09:09 AM
BA has been fine for most of the year, i really have no problem with him at all.....i kind of took his side a few times...36 pass plays 35 runs, not to shabby

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Did you watch the Eagles vs Raiders? The defense gave up a few plays but was not the problem in that game. The offense did not show up. There were some other contributing factors. Eagles defense is still a good unit.

The Ravens are not making plays. Just as our defense did not make plays in our 2 losses.
Steelers still have the same coaching staff. On the flip side, our offense is begging to play better. They need to work on cleaning up their mistakes. They can't continue to turn over the ball & drop passes.

One big reason why the Ravens offense has improved is that they are putting more trust into Flacco. Flacco has improved over last season.

Coordinators can make a difference. Is it to the level that most people think? I still stand by that most of what happens is a result of how well the players execute.

It would be interesting see if we could prove your hypothesis. How well do units improve with new DC's or OC's? Is it for the long term or short term? How do new players factor into the equation? I am sure there are other factors.

I a lot of coaches believe in continuity. We could be seeing positive results with our own offense. Time will tell. Even then, we have to take into consideration the issues they had with the Oline and RB's last season as opposed to this season. It is usually multi factorial when units improve or lose an edge.]

Ha, one part of your test can be examining the teams that fired their coordinators a week before the season started. Bucs, Chiefs and Bills all started the season terribly...

ikestops85
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM

I a lot of coaches believe in continuity. We could be seeing positive results with our own offense. Time will tell. Even then, we have to take into consideration the issues they had with the Oline and RB's last season as opposed to this season. It is usually multi factorial when units improve or lose an edge.]

Ha, one part of your test can be examining the teams that fired their coordinators a week before the season started. Bucs, Chiefs and Bills all started the season terribly...

The chiefs fired their O Coordinator? Really? I hadn't heard. Hmmm ...

:lol: