PDA

View Full Version : Best QB in the league? TE? WR?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Arguably, Ben, Heath, and Hines.

Don't worry, I'm not saying "undoubtedly". But these guys are going pretty well!

hellbanger
10-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Agreed. Now the rest of the Team needs to play half as good as Ben and we"ll be alright.

steelblood
10-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Ben made some great plays today. He threw some fantastic touch passes (some of which were dropped). He also made about 5 absolutely terrible passes. Against a better D he could have thrown 3-4 picks. He needs to not force the ball as much against Minnesota and Denver.

Ike didn't look great in the second half.

Timmons had a great game with qb pressure, sack, strip, tackles in the backfield, and some nice coverage.

Farrior was very good.

Woodley pushed the RT into DA's face a few times and threw off passes.

The Oline did a decent job.

Holmes has a nice game with some great YAC.

Wallace looked good again. Nice reverse, and a couple of clutch catches.

Hines is playing the best football of his career. I wouldn't say he is the best receiver in the AFC (Andre Johnson is - no matter what the stats say), but he certainly is taking advantage of having Wallace, Holmes, and Heath draw much of the coverage. He finds holes in zones so well and he and Ben seem to be in sync. I love the way he runs after the catch on those quick screens.

Mendenhall is running well. We need to get him to secure the ball.

Parker is still tackling himself, but he also had a few nice plays.

I didn't see much Ziggy, but Eason and Kirschke looked fine.

I'd love to see some decent blocking for Logan. So many times we fail to allow him to build up any speed on returns.

Heath was awesome.

Spaeth had a terrible game. He ushered in a DE for a quick sack. He had a terrible penalty. There was another moment I yelled at him but I don't remember the circumstance. I never got the love for this guy. He doesn't move real well. His blocking is so so at best. His motivation seems to come and go

Ike was abused in the second half by a rook.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Looks like my gut feeling was right!!

At least at QB and WR, as steelrz-d showed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8541 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8541)

Do they keep TE stats? I'd bet Heath is at top, or very close to it!

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Think we'll see anymore stupid postings about how Timmons isn't performing this season?

steelblood
10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Think we'll see anymore stupid postings about how Timmons isn't performing this season?

Timmons has played well. He excels in coverage and at penetrating into the backfield. He is still working on consistency as a run stopper and taking on FBs and OL.

JTP53609
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
for some reason ben is still not talked about in the top 3 among many "experts", he is currently 4th in the nfl in qb rating first in yds, first in completion %, but he is just a game manager, hines is having a career year, should have 3 td's but whatever, and heath miller, what else can you say, i love it....

steelblood
10-19-2009, 10:58 AM
for some reason ben is still not talked about in the top 3 among many "experts", he is currently 4th in the nfl in qb rating first in yds, first in completion %, but he is just a game manager, hines is having a career year, should have 3 td's but whatever, and heath miller, what else can you say, i love it....

I think he is getting his due this year. Many don't put him up there with Brady, Manning, and Brees. I'm ok with that. I think he has intangibles (like athleticism and strength) that those players don't have. However, each of those QBs are great pure passers who through unbelievable deep balls. Ben has never thrown the ball consistently over 30 yards or so. He is certainly not in their class for the long ball. So, in the end, we have a great intermediate thrower, who plays exceptionally well in poor conditions, has amazing escapability, and ice water in his veins. He doesn't make quick reads and throws or throw a consistent, pretty deep ball. So perhaps the other QBs are better pocket passers. Still, I'll take our guy. Besides, he can still improve! As Ben gets older, he'll need to learn to become a more efficient pocket passer and develop his deep ball. I think he will.

ikestops85
10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Ben is starting to get some respect. You can tell by the personal foul calls the last couple of weeks. Neither of which I agreed with but it's about time we started getting some of these BS calls. I wouldn't mind if they started protecting Ben like they do Brady. Of course THAT will never happen. :HeadBanger

Oviedo
10-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Pundits are totally focused on stats related to TDs and Yards. Ben typically doesn't put up huge numbers in these areas. Ben also typically has one bad interception every game which his detractors focus on.

dirt
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Spaeth had a terrible game. He ushered in a DE for a quick sack. He had a terrible penalty. There was another moment I yelled at him but I don't remember the circumstance.

when he fair caught the kickoff at the 21 with no one near him?

JTP53609
10-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Pundits are totally focused on stats related to TDs and Yards. Ben typically doesn't put up huge numbers in these areas. Ben also typically has one bad interception every game which his detractors focus on.

aint that the truth, there is always one INT he throws a game where you say BENNNN, but ehh, youll have that,

grotonsteel
10-19-2009, 04:22 PM

I think he is getting his due this year. Many don't put him up there with Brady, Manning, and Brees. I'm ok with that. I think he has intangibles (like athleticism and strength) that those players don't have. However, each of those QBs are great pure passers who through unbelievable deep balls. Ben has never thrown the ball consistently over 30 yards or so. He is certainly not in their class for the long ball. So, in the end, we have a great intermediate thrower, who plays exceptionally well in poor conditions, has amazing escapability, and ice water in his veins. He doesn't make quick reads and throws or throw a consistent, pretty deep ball. So perhaps the other QBs are better pocket passers. Still, I'll take our guy. Besides, he can still improve! As Ben gets older, he'll need to learn to become a more efficient pocket passer and develop his deep ball. I think he will.

I completely disagree with that statement. Big Ben has completed more 40+yards throws than manning,brees and Marsha.

Last year Big Ben was struggling with a shoulder injury hence the perception he can't throw deep ball.

This year stats:

Tom Brady:
Year G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G Lng 20+ 40+
2009 6 241 156 64.7 40.2 1,724 7.2 287.3 17 2

Big Ben:
2009 6 207 150 72.5 34.5 1,887 9.1 314.5 26 6

Drew Brees:
2009 5 159 110 69.2 31.8 1,400 8.8 280.0 20 2

Brady does not even have more 20+ yards throws.

100$handshake
10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
I'll agree with Ben and Heath. Overall I'll take Andre Johnson at WR. That guy is a beast ! Imagine he and Hines teamed up !

Sugar
10-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I'll agree with Ben and Heath. Overall I'll take Andre Johnson at WR. That guy is a beast ! Imagine he and Hines teamed up !

Perhaps we'll see that in the Pro Bowl.

stlrz d
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM

How do you get access to game film? Is that through a subscription or something?

Cuz on my TV I can't see if the WRs are open or not...and I definitely can't tell if Ben is not seeing them or if he's looking deep first...since the camera focuses on the QB when he has the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Perhaps we'll see that in the Pro Bowl.

Nah...the Pro Bowl is held in Miami the week before the Super Bowl this year. Hines will be too busy preparing for the Super Bowl in Miami one week later, so he won't be able to play in that game. Oh well. :D