PDA

View Full Version : Dammit, protect the ball!

stlrz d
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
C'mon Willie!

stlrz d
10-18-2009, 03:29 PM
:wft is going on out there???

Hold on to the damn ball already!!!! :evil: :HeadBanger

LasVegasGuy
10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
C'mon Willie!

If we did that how in the world would we keep a lesser team in the game? You know our motto this year is to win it at the end or lose it at the end.

5 weeks and we still can't fix that problem. We should be beating the Browns by about 30 right now.

Don't get me started on Willie......2 weeks rest and he still blows. These idiots are screwing with the offense by trying to rotate him in. Shame on us.

Shoe
10-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Don't get me started on WIllie......2 weeks rest and he still blows. This idiots are screwing with the offense by trying to rotate him in. Shame on us.

I agree. With Mendenhall's fumble, I attribute some of it to inexperience, etc. With Parker, it's not acceptable. I just don't think he has it anymore.

LasVegasGuy
10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Don't get me started on WIllie......2 weeks rest and he still blows. This idiots are screwing with the offense by trying to rotate him in. Shame on us.

I agree. With Mendenhall's fumble, I attribute some of it to inexperience, etc. With Parker, it's not acceptable. I just don't think he has it anymore.

In Mendenhall's defense he was laying on a player and thought he was down. Who knew that 2 seconds later the ball would be stripped from him. He needs to play to the whistle. Wilie on the other hand is a scrub that we are trying to keep happy by giving him touches. In the meantime we aren't letting Mendenhall get into a groove.

stlrz d
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Ha ha...there's no excuse for either of them fumbling. None.

buckeyehoppy
10-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Bingo!

Mendy's fumble was a joke because he wasn't protecting the ball. Never mind that he was down and didn't go anywhere for two seconds when it happened, but those are the rules. He has to do better than that. The entire offensive unit has to do better at protecting the ball.

Willie is a player they should be actively trying to move at the trade deadline. What is he going to contribute the rest of the year? Mendy can pick up his slack quite capably, if he learns to wrap up the ball and MM is as solid a 3rd down back as there is in the league. I know it's not really what the Steelers do to move a player during the season. But, this case is as good an exception as there is to defend a move by the FO.

NorthCoast
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM

Bingo!

Mendy's fumble was a joke because he wasn't protecting the ball. Never mind that he was down and didn't go anywhere for two seconds when it happened, but those are the rules. He has to do better than that. The entire offensive unit has to do better at protecting the ball.

Willie is a player they should be actively trying to move at the trade deadline. What is he going to contribute the rest of the year? Mendy can pick up his slack quite capably, if he learns to wrap up the ball and MM is as solid a 3rd down back as there is in the league. I know it's not really what the Steelers do to move a player during the season. But, this case is as good an exception as there is to defend a move by the FO.

I have posted several times before about Mendenhall's sloppy ball-carrying when he gets in space. He is asking for big-time trouble against fast, pursuing defenses. Someone is gonna come from behind and slap that ball away. The good thing is it is correctable. Tomlin needs to practice ball slapping this week. Another encouraging sign was that Mendenhall appeared to run with more lean and lower pads today....with more reps this should get even better.

steelsnis
10-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree that Mendenhall needs to work on his ball security. But that fumble today was a bit of an anomaly. He was laying on his back after the play was "over" and got the ball yanked out. It's not like he was running and someone poked it out.

If I remember it right, it was only ruled a fumble because he was on top of a defender and not actually touching the ground?

stlrz d
10-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I agree that Mendenhall needs to work on his ball security. But that fumble today was a bit of an anomaly. He was laying on his back after the play was "over" and got the ball yanked out. It's not like he was running and someone poked it out.

If I remember it right, it was only ruled a fumble because he was on top of a defender and not actually touching the ground?

Yeah, he wasn't down so the play wasn't over. No whistle.

Jooser
10-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I hate those types of plays. Mendy wasn't on the ground but the play was obviously over. It's like Logan's fumble in the S.D. game. I just hate it. :Hater

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Bingo!

Mendenhall should be getting the lion's share of the carries, but there is no reason to trade Parker now (what would you get for him? A 6th round pick?). I'd rather have him as an insurance policy just in case Mendenhall gets injured. Although Moore filled in admirably last year, he cannot do everything if Parker were traded and Mendenhall got hurt. Then you'd have to call up Vincent and Redman from the practice squad, and give them prominent roles to keep Moore from being overused. Championship contending teams don't trade away depth for marginal draft picks.

skyhawk
10-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Yeah, he wasn't down so the play wasn't over. No whistle.

Forward progress had been stopped. The whistle should have blown. The refs are in love with not blowing the whistle when a player is laying on another player.

NorCal-Steeler
10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Mendy has and will have fumble problems if he continues to carry the ball that way. To all the trade Parker talk thats about as stupid as it gets. Mendenhall had 1 good game against SD , Detroit held him to 77 and Cleveland although he shared carries his average dropped below FWP as well.
I like mendy as well but i dont think Parker should be a cast off, his fumble was a fluke not the norm like with Mendy.

steelsnis
10-19-2009, 02:39 PM
his fumble was a fluke not the norm like with Mendy.

Isn't this Mendenhall's first fumble ever in a regular season game? I know he coughed up a couple of fumbles during the preseason of his rookie year, but how does that make it "the norm"???

NorCal-Steeler
10-19-2009, 02:46 PM
yes its his only fumble of the year i was refering to his body of work pre-season or not he has what 5 fumbles with very limited touches id say under 100. Thats 1 fumble every 20 carries thats a concern along with the way he carries it is asking for more.
I'm not a Mendy basher and i hope he becomes the future back in the future. I just think Parker is a vet and doesnt drop the ball often. The whole trade parker is what gets to me.

ikestops85
10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
his fumble was a fluke not the norm like with Mendy.

Isn't this Mendenhall's first fumble ever in a regular season game? I know he coughed up a couple of fumbles during the preseason of his rookie year, but how does that make it "the norm"???

I think it was his first fumble "lost" but if I remember correctly he put the ball on the ground once or twice last year during the season. Neither the fumble by Mendy or the fumble by Willie or the fumble by Ben are excuseable. It's not like the tackler put their helmet on the ball which caused it to come loose. We have got to start winning the turnover battle if we are going to beat the big boys this year.

It's still way too early to send Parker packing. Our line did a so-so job of run blocking so our running game was meh. While I now believe Mendy has earned the majority of the carries he hasn't outperformed Willie by that much to be handed the reins. Willie performed just as well as Mendy did yesterday (except for looking stupid when he fell down catching that pass).

Iron Shiek
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Maybe Willie made him wear those arm bands John Madden loves to talk about so much.

JTP53609
10-20-2009, 08:31 AM
4 fumbles inside of 2 minutes, that was ridiculous on both sides.....the mendy fumble was a fumble, had he rolled over and scored we would be singing his praises, but instead he fumbled, gotta hold that ball like its your kid.....

skyhawk
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
4 fumbles inside of 2 minutes, that was ridiculous on both sides.....the mendy fumble was a fumble, had he rolled over and scored we would be singing his praises, but instead he fumbled, gotta hold that ball like its your kid.....

If he would have rolled over and scored, as soon as he crossed the plane of the goalline, the play would have been dead and it would have been a TD. Even if the ball was ripped out later.