PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall's pre-draft notes...very interesting

D Rock
10-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I was looking through the different forums and PSUdropout had posted these over in the NFL draft section.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7763 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7763)

Positives: Very thickly built and looks every bit the part. Is layered with muscle on top of muscle. Attacks the perimeter and can break through arm tackles. Has good leg drive after contact. Shows good vision and sees the cut-back lane. Can pick and slide and weave through traffic. Shows the speed to kick it into another gear and pull away. Has soft hands and adjusts well to the ball. Has big-play capability. Very productive.

Negatives: Played in a spread-option offense where linemen took very wide splits, he had lanes to run through and he rarely was coming out of the I-formation downhill. Does not run with good pad level or pick up much yardage after contact. Not an overly creative runner who makes many tacklers miss. Gears down to cut. Runs top-heavy, takes too many direct hits and could wear down. Does not have great balance and falls forward and gets tripped up too easily. Not a great competitor. Was immature and did not make an immediate impact upon his arrival. Suspect ball security early in career.

some these were really interesting in how accurate they were from his college into his pro career

and some of these he seems to be working through

Mister Pittsburgh
10-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Pretty much on the money. Nice find.

steelernation77
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM
The crap about Mendenhall not making an impact early at Illinois is total garbage. He didn't play much as a freshman (which most CFB players don't) and then played behind Pierre Thomas and ran for 800 some yards as a sophomore.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
The crap about Mendenhall not making an impact early at Illinois is total garbage. He didn't play much as a freshman (which most CFB players don't) and then played behind Pierre Thomas and ran for 800 some yards as a sophomore.

I would, however, say it is pretty damn immature to suffer an injury and then not be around your teammates, coaches, trainers, as much as possible instead of concentrating on fixing your house up and taking urban dance classes after the team hands you millions to sign a piece of paper to play football.

So I would say they got that part right.

feltdizz
10-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Pretty spot on but mendenhall is/was young when he came out.

Oviedo
10-17-2009, 09:30 PM
I was looking through the different forums and PSUdropout had posted these over in the NFL draft section.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7763 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7763)

Positives: Very thickly built and looks every bit the part. Is layered with muscle on top of muscle. Attacks the perimeter and can break through arm tackles. Has good leg drive after contact. Shows good vision and sees the cut-back lane. Can pick and slide and weave through traffic. Shows the speed to kick it into another gear and pull away. Has soft hands and adjusts well to the ball. Has big-play capability. Very productive.

Negatives: Played in a spread-option offense where linemen took very wide splits, he had lanes to run through and he rarely was coming out of the I-formation downhill. Does not run with good pad level or pick up much yardage after contact. Not an overly creative runner who makes many tacklers miss. Gears down to cut. Runs top-heavy, takes too many direct hits and could wear down. Does not have great balance and falls forward and gets tripped up too easily. Not a great competitor. Was immature and did not make an immediate impact upon his arrival. Suspect ball security early in career.

some these were really interesting in how accurate they were from his college into his pro career

and some of these he seems to be working through

I believe that they showed a stat last week that Mendy leads the lead in yards after first contact. Also can't say that he doesn't run hard based on last two week.

This is pretty much a garbage eval. They also fail to mention he was only 17 his first season at Illi. Only 22 now. He will be very good the more he matures.

stlrz d
10-17-2009, 10:23 PM

I would, however, say it is pretty damn immature to suffer an injury and then not be around your teammates, coaches, trainers, as much as possible instead of concentrating on fixing your house up and taking urban dance classes after the team hands you millions to sign a piece of paper to play football.

So I would say they got that part right.

Why are there conflicting stories on that?

I suspect Bouchette noticed Mendy not around one week and turned it into a "the kid's never around the team" report.

flippy
10-18-2009, 07:08 AM
I think Mendy is shy and young.

Other than that, he'll be fine.

None of it will matter when he puts up numbers...