PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu practices again Thursday

fordfixer
10-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Steelers safety Polamalu practices again Thursday

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 16, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 48231.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648231.html)

Wearing a left-knee brace, Troy Polamalu practiced again Thursday.

How much the brace or the injury that has sidelined the All-Pro safety for more than a month limits him Sunday remains to be seen.

Polamalu, who sprained his knee in the Steelers' season opener on Sept. 10, said he won't know until he gets in a game how his knee will hold up.

He added that his knee responded favorably to the full practice he went through Wednesday.

"Everything went well," Polamalu said.

Defensive end Travis Kirschke (back), James Farrior (elbow), guard Trai Essex (ankle) and outside linebacker Andre Frazier all returned to practice yesterday after missing drills Wednesday because of injuries.

Kirschke is expected to start at left defensive end for Aaron Smith, who is out for the rest of the season because of a torn right rotator cuff.

Kirschke, rookie Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason should all see playing time at left defensive end Sunday against the Browns.

Kirschke, 35, is the oldest players on the Steelers. Hood, 22, is one of the youngest. When asked if the experience factor would compel the Steelers to start Kirschke over Hood, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said: "(Former Ohio State coach) Woody Hayes once said you lose two football games for every freshman you have in the lineup."

But, LeBeau added: "We intend to have Ziggy in the game. His playing time has been increasing. We'll play the guys who are giving us the most production."

Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers didn't practice for the second straight day due to a non-injury related reason.

Stefan Logan's kickoff return average of 26.4 yards ranks third in the AFC and seventh in the NFL.

Oviedo
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I hope he can play at peak levels. The unfortunate facts are that if Troy did not get hurt on a meaningless play in Game 1, I really believe we are 5-0 right now.

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I hope he can play at peak levels. The unfortunate facts are that if Troy did not get hurt on a meaningless play in Game 1, I really believe we are 5-0 right now.

I wouldn't exactly called a blocked field goal in a game that we eventually won in overtime a meaningless play. In fact, it turned out to be one of the most meaningful plays in that game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-16-2009, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't exactly called a blocked field goal in a game that we eventually won in overtime a meaningless play. In fact, it turned out to be one of the most meaningful plays in that game.

True, but the attempt to pick it up really would have only paid off if he could have gone long with it. That was unlikely when you consider where the ball was when he went for it. Had he just fallen on top of it the result would have been the same with no injury.

Unfortunate happening but that's football.