PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall has illness that puts his status in doubt

fordfixer
10-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Steelers' Mendenhall has illness that puts his status in doubt

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 16, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 48232.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648232.html)

Mendenhall's illness puts his status in doubt

The Steelers sent running back Rashard Mendenhall home Thursday because of an illness, putting into question how much he will be able to play Sunday against the visiting Browns.

Mendenhall has started the past two games for the injured Willie Parker (turf toe) and rushed for 242 yards and three touchdowns.

If the illness is a lingering one and limits Mendenhall in the 1 p.m. game, the Steelers will probably be able to lean on Parker.

Parker was a full participant in drills again yesterday.

Said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians: "He's looked real good in practice."

Arians said if both Parker and Mendenhall are close to full strength Sunday, it will be a game-time decision as to how the Steelers use them in the backfield.

"I'd like to have both of them out there," Arians said.

Parker has been wearing a specially-designed shoe that limits the movement of his injured toe.

The sixth-year veteran has rushed for 159 yards this season but is only averaging 3.1 yards per carry.

"Aaron's a guy, he just doesn't get blocked. But we've got good depth on the defensive line, and I know those guys will step in and do a good job. There's only one Aaron Smith, but I think we'll function very well with the guys we've got."

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau on replacing Aaron Smith, who sustained a season-ending shoulder injury, at left defensive end.

Oviedo
10-16-2009, 07:51 AM
This is why all the talk of trading Parker is so ridiculaous. You need three solid RBs to make it through a season.

Hopefully Mendy can knock this thing but I fully expect when flu season really settles in this could become a problem for the entire league.

I wonder if the team makes the players get flu shots? I know that the athletes here at UCF did.

steelblood
10-16-2009, 08:05 AM
IF it is H1N1, the shot hasn't been rolled out to most adults yet. Medical workers and some kids have got it. My kids are supposed to get it at school in the next week or two.

MeetJoeGreene
10-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Anybody else worried about the effect of a shoe that limits toe movement on Parker's already-limited capacity to change directions quickly and without stumbling?

Tomlinator
10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Anybody else worried about the effect of a shoe that limits toe movement on Parker's already-limited capacity to change directions quickly and without stumbling?

I am. It's a different feeling just walking in a shoe that has limited flexibility. I know its not a steel toe, but you'd think even a fiberglass casing will make flexing your foot awkward. I would find it distracting and probably alter how I run.

feltdizz
10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I hope it does limit Parker running style and instead of dancing he just hits the hole.

I'm more concerned with our convenient RB injuries that avoid the demotion of one or the other. A part of me hopes this is a sneaky way of having 2 healthy RB's when the playoffs start.

stlrz d
10-17-2009, 12:05 AM
I hope it does limit Parker running style and instead of dancing he just hits the hole.

I'm more concerned with our convenient RB injuries that avoid the demotion of one or the other. A part of me hopes this is a sneaky way of having 2 healthy RB's when the playoffs start.

You should be concerned about something that's actually real.

RuthlessBurgher
10-17-2009, 12:58 AM

I'm concerned about rogue unicorns. :P

stlrz d
10-17-2009, 10:34 AM

I'm concerned about rogue unicorns. :P

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/221/0/7/Rogue_Unicorn_Adoptables_by_pegacorna2.jpg

feltdizz
10-17-2009, 05:29 PM

You should be concerned with being so concerned with what I'm concerned with!