PDA

View Full Version : Chargers release "starting" strong safety Clinton Hart

SteelCrazy
10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
A defensive shake-up that had been hinted at took shape yesterday in the jettisoning of one starter and the re-signing of a player previously deemed expendable.

Feeling he wasn't their best option anymore, the Chargers released starting strong safety Clinton Hart. And, needing depth on a patchwork defensive line, the team told defensive tackle Ian Scott to cancel the moving truck and signed him back to their roster.

“There are always multiple reasons why you make a move,” head coach Norv Turner said. “We had a chance to help ourselves on the defensive line. .?.?. We were carrying an extra safety. We feel the young guys are coming along and are ready to play. I don't know if it's as much Clinton as the young guys have come on.”

Steve Gregory, Paul Oliver and rookie Kevin Ellison worked in a rotation with the first team yesterday and could continue rotating right through Monday's critical game against Denver.

Scott will play Monday, joining a rotation at tackle with Travis Johnson and either Ogemdi Nwagbuo or Alfonso Boone. Signed last month, Boone has been more effective at end and could make a more permanent move there.

Scott was let go in the final cuts Sept. 5, as a knee injury had limited his practice and playing time. He spent the past month rehabilitating here and in Arizona. He and his family were preparing to “pack up and move back to Florida” when the Chargers called.

A starter for the Chicago Bears in their Super Bowl season in 2006, Scott was signed by the Chargers on Sept. 24, 2008 and played in four games last season.

The Chargers face an entire season without linemen Jamal Williams and Ryon Bingham, who are on injured reserve after recent surgeries.

Hart, who started 37 of the Chargers' past 41 games, was told he was being let go when he arrived yesterday morning for an early workout.

Hart said he loved his teammates, the city and fans too much to say some of the things that were on his mind. He acknowledged feeling like something of a scapegoat.

“I feel like I got punched in the gut,” he said. “They knocked my teeth out. .?.?. I'm made out to be the bad guy.”

Hart's shortcomings had become a frequent topic in San Diego over the past year-plus. He played injured much of last season and had issues in coverage and with run support.

He acknowledged still struggling to some extent and said he had gone in to work on the field and in the film room on his own Tuesday, the players' off day.

“I've got to play better,” he said. “I needed to concentrate on me. .?.?. But I'm one of the best safeties back there.”

While they ultimately went with Hart to start the season, the Chargers in April made Ellison their sixth-round pick, and Hart was not considered a long-term answer at the position. Plus, the Chargers carried six safeties until yesterday.

Ellison has been inactive in two games this season and actually played in only one game, against Miami. Gregory has spent the most time on the field alternating with Hart. Oliver has shown improvement. And while Ellison still has a lot to learn and lacks the speed often desired from that position, he showed good instincts in the preseason. Rookie C.J. Spillman, an undrafted free agent, is still considered a project.

“As you know, we went into the season with an overload at the position,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “But after the first quarter of the schedule, we feel we have solidified the safety position for this season. With the further development of Gregory and Oliver and the steady advancement of Kevin Ellison, we are now ready to move forward.”

The Chargers allowed 497 yards and 38 points in their most recent game, a 38-28 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are ranked 26th in total defense and 27th in rushing defense.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... /?chargers (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/15/chargers-release-strong-safety-hart/?chargers)

Oviedo
10-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Cut Keiwin Ratliff and sign this guy. Ratliff is useless in pass defense and we are thin at safety. With Lewis and Burnett on the roster Ratliff has no future with this team.

SteelCrazy
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Cut Keiwin Ratliff and sign this guy. Ratliff is useless in pass defense and we are thin at safety. With Lewis and Burnett on the roster Ratliff has no future with this team.
:Agree

Mister Pittsburgh
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I have noticed Ratliff getting beat up a little bit back there. Always chasing for the tackle, never closing before the reception.

JTP53609
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
i agreee ratliff is horrible, to bad he could not do for us what he did against us last season when he was a colt (he intercepted big ben before the end of the half which led to a touchdown).

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
I wonder how Ratilff's play may improve if he's on the field with Troy?

frankthetank1
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I wonder how Ratilff's play may improve if he's on the field with Troy?

troy makes everyone a lot better so im sure it will improve a great deal. i have to say besides the chicago game carter has been solid. ratliff however is another story.

birtikidis
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
aren't they playing ratliff out of position? i can't remember where i heard it, but weren't they putting him at safety in obvious passing situations (especially when carter had that bruised thigh)? we were so thin at safety they put deshea back there and i'm pretty sure they did the same with keiwan.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't mind signing this guy for depth but at this point of the season probably doesn't make sense. If he knew the defense, he would be an upgrade over Carter. Mundy has been showing me some flashes. I have hope he will be a Darren Perry clone. But...As long as Troy looks like he is headed in the right direction and doesn't look like any setbacks are in sight...I would actually make a move on the DL. Johnson looks healthy and Carey Davis, I feel sorry for the guy, is expendable now. He will most likely be there again if needed. We are OK right now at DL but we are one injury way from 2 rookies in the rotation. I have hope that both Hood & Harris will grow quickly and be serviceable in their rookie year. There is just somethings, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball, that youth & talent just can't overcome without playing time. Harris won't get enough of it and might be forced into action. With an injury...Come playoff time...That could spell disaster. The Smith injury and 2 rookies on the 53 @ DL should make them think about carrying another vet DL. The time is right to get one in here and learn the system while being inactive on gameday. They should be looking. I don't know who is all available but I would not be surprised to see another vet body come in. As far as Ratliff..I watched him last week and feel both Lewis or Burnett are far better talents. I'm all for the youth movement. I just think the coaches are not ready to turn the nickel & dime duties over to a rookie unless they have too. It only takes one blown assignment to ruin an outing for a player. There are going with a "steady" player versus the more physically talented one. Lewis or Burnett would have to pile up some consistant weeks of practice before Ratliff becomes expendable. It could happen...I just don't see the practices to know how soon or if it is coming.

Oviedo
10-15-2009, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't mind signing this guy for depth but at this point of the season probably doesn't make sense. If he knew the defense, he would be an upgrade over Carter. Mundy has been showing me some flashes. I have hope he will be a Darren Perry clone. But...As long as Troy looks like he is headed in the right direction and doesn't look like any setbacks are in sight...I would actually make a move on the DL. Johnson looks healthy and Carey Davis, I feel sorry for the guy, is expendable now. He will most likely be there again if needed. We are OK right now at DL but we are one injury way from 2 rookies in the rotation. I have hope that both Hood & Harris will grow quickly and be serviceable in their rookie year. There is just somethings, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball, that youth & talent just can't overcome without playing time. Harris won't get enough of it and might be forced into action. With an injury...Come playoff time...That could spell disaster. The Smith injury and 2 rookies on the 53 @ DL should make them think about carrying another vet DL. The time is right to get one in here and learn the system while being inactive on gameday. They should be looking. I don't know who is all available but I would not be surprised to see another vet body come in. As far as Ratliff..I watched him last week and feel both Lewis or Burnett are far better talents. I'm all for the youth movement. I just think the coaches are not ready to turn the nickel & dime duties over to a rookie unless they have too. It only takes one blown assignment to ruin an outing for a player. There are going with a "steady" player versus the more physically talented one. Lewis or Burnett would have to pile up some consistant weeks of practice before Ratliff becomes expendable. It could happen...I just don't see the practices to know how soon or if it is coming.

Hitting the return key every few sentences would increase readability :wink:

Not sure you can get a DL for a price that fits under the cap. Keep in mind the transactions they are making are real low cost guys. You aren't going to get a good veteran DL that fits in that criteria.

I disagree on Ratliff. I really can't imagine Lewis or Burnett being worse. I'd be surprised if Ratliff has a single "pass defended" stat to his credit. My enthusiasm for Burnett is well established and I have seen how he is a ballhawk. I could see him coming in and picking off a pass or two like Gay did his rookie year.

phillyesq
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm not going to argue that Ratliff has played well, but I don't think that Hart would be any better. I seem to remember him being exploited during the Steelers game against the Chargers, and I just don't think that he is very good.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Hitting the return key every few sentences would increase readability :wink:

Not sure you can get a DL for a price that fits under the cap. Keep in mind the transactions they are making are real low cost guys. You aren't going to get a good veteran DL that fits in that criteria.

I disagree on Ratliff. I really can't imagine Lewis or Burnett being worse. I'd be surprised if Ratliff has a single "pass defended" stat to his credit. My enthusiasm for Burnett is well established and I have seen how he is a ballhawk. I could see him coming in and picking off a pass or two like Gay did his rookie year.

Yeah...But when you create the spaces and time passes it goes back to the top. Pain in the A $ $!

(Just for you!) :wink:

We are looking for a low cost guy. Contracts signed now are "low ball" contracts because of the timing in the season. These guys are looking for jobs. So if there is a quality vet out there now, most times you can get them for vet min.

(And again!) :wink:

I don't see where you disagree with Ratliff besides me thinking the Steelers, right now, see him as the best option from experience. Lewis and Burnett are better talents but it has to be what they have shown in practice. They must not feel confident yet to put them in game situations based on mistakes made in practice. I would be willing to bet you put Lewis, Burnett, and Ratliff in one on one drills and Ratliff would struggle most. Simple in drills. The 2 rookies must be occasionly struggling with the scheme and assignment during practice. Thats OK because they are rookies. Ratliff must have it down and the staff has more confidence in him. Ratliff seems to be doing his assigment...He just doesn't have the skills to do it better. It wouldn't surprise me to see Lewis or Burnett active before the end of the season and Ratliff on the sideline. I actually think Burnett has a better shot based upon what will be asked of him. Burnett looks to be a great cover 2 - zone corner and that would be the role of the nickel / dime guy. Lewis's strength is at bump and man. Lewis is more like Ike & Burnett is more like Townsend.

Shoe
10-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Are you guys being serious? Why would we sign some bum off a team that needs all the good players on defense it can get? Am I missing something (i.e. he knows the system or something?)

Mel Blount's G
10-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Are you guys being serious? Why would we sign some bum off a team that needs all the good players on defense it can get? Am I missing something (i.e. he knows the system or something?)
Yeah, I too can't believe people can be serious about signing the bolts throw-away. THE BOLTS!? You guys want to sign a guy not good enough to play on one of thee WORST defenses in the NFL!?!?!! Come on people. Just take a deep breath and put down the airplane glue. I mean, maybe we can sign the immortal Adam Archuletta for 8 figures a year ala the 'skins a few years ago!!??

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah...But when you create the spaces and time passes it goes back to the top. Pain in the A $ $!

Yeah, it drives me nuts when the damn text box keeps shifting itself up to the top of the window when you are trying to type. What is with that?

Lonbull
10-15-2009, 08:21 PM
If LeBeau and Tomlin see something in Ratliff then I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Most likely he's just having difficulty adjusting to our defense - very similiar to how Nick Eason got better with a little time.

(Also very similiar to Troy in his rookie season).

L.B.

Mel Blount's G
10-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Yeah, it drives me nuts when the damn text box keeps shifting itself up to the top of the window when you are trying to type. What is with that?
Well then, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with that. I thought I was just noobied-out with some planetsteelers settings or something

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM

I believe that only happens if you hit the "tab" key.

JPN I gotta be honest...I like your posts but I find myself skimming a lot of them because they are just too damn hard to read in a big block like that.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2009, 08:44 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":o2677ilg]Yeah...But when you create the spaces and time passes it goes back to the top. Pain in the A $ $!

JPN I gotta be honest...I like your posts but I find myself skimming a lot of them because they are just too damn hard to read in a big block like that.[/quote:o2677ilg]

Nope...I never hit the tab key, but whenever a post reaches the length that a scroll bar is necessary down the side of this text box (which happens quite often when you are quoting someone), it just keeps jumping up to the top as you are typing (so you can't really see what you have typed, since it bounces between the bottom and the top of the box with every single keystroke sometimes. It is also a pain when you want to highlight something (as if you were going to put IMG or URL tags around it or whatever), and it keeps bouncing up to the top and highlighting every damn thing in the post. Ugh...

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3w41ajo3]Yeah...But when you create the spaces and time passes it goes back to the top. Pain in the A $ $!

JPN I gotta be honest...I like your posts but I find myself skimming a lot of them because they are just too damn hard to read in a big block like that.

Nope...I never hit the tab key, but whenever a post reaches the length that a scroll bar is necessary down the side of this text box (which happens quite often when you are quoting someone), it just keeps jumping up to the top as you are typing (so you can't really see what you have typed, since it bounces between the bottom and the top of the box with every single keystroke sometimes. It is also a pain when you want to highlight something (as if you were going to put IMG or URL tags around it or whatever), and it keeps bouncing up to the top and highlighting every damn thing in the post. Ugh...[/quote:3w41ajo3]

Hmmmm...I've never had that issue...it only happens for me if I accidentally hit tab.

SidSmythe
10-15-2009, 09:12 PM
When first reading these posts I was thinking, "Hart is slow and not very athletic"
BUT then i compared him to Tyrone Carter and thought, "Hart isn't that slow afterall"

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1goejkv3]Yeah...But when you create the spaces and time passes it goes back to the top. Pain in the A $ $!

JPN I gotta be honest...I like your posts but I find myself skimming a lot of them because they are just too damn hard to read in a big block like that.[/quote:1goejkv3]

Thanks man. Now you know why. When I have alot of things to say I just type without even looking up because it is a pain when I stop to read and the cursor jumps. It seems to do it more when you set up paragraphs. I will try to be more understanding when I post.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-16-2009, 09:23 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1psaphyp]Yeah...But when you create the spaces and time passes it goes back to the top. Pain in the A $ $!

Nope...I never hit the tab key, but whenever a post reaches the length that a scroll bar is necessary down the side of this text box (which happens quite often when you are quoting someone), it just keeps jumping up to the top as you are typing (so you can't really see what you have typed, since it bounces between the bottom and the top of the box with every single keystroke sometimes. It is also a pain when you want to highlight something (as if you were going to put IMG or URL tags around it or whatever), and it keeps bouncing up to the top and highlighting every damn thing in the post. Ugh...[/quote:1psaphyp]
Good to know some other Steeler brothers have the same problem. I just hope it isn't geographical Ruth! :wink:

Iron Shiek
10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Hart's shortcomings had become a frequent topic in San Diego over the past year-plus. He played injured much of last season and had issues in coverage and with run support.

I won't proclaim to have followed this dude so i can only go on what people write about him. The above statement isn't very encouraging considering those are the primary job requirements. Seeing as he wouldn't know the defensive scheme, it would take time and money to train this guy to be a back up, when we've got some dudes that are ready to step up if needed.

SteelCrazy
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Let me be clear........I would only want Hart for the cheap and depth. We are thin and the guy has some talent or he wouldn't have started 40 some games.