PDA

View Full Version : 1976: Greatest Defense EVER

Jooser
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Per The Chief - Art Rooney, and Jack Lambert agrees:

Sweet video, they went 22 quarters without a score:

[youtube:3499c6xz]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/--IKFr14cy0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/--IKFr14cy0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube:3499c6xz]

Jooser
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Jack Lambert, "Give us a 6-pack, and we'll go our there and play them again."

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

rpmpit
10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I love that every time I see it. Great stuff!!!! :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

flippy
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
2008 D was better imho

rpmpit
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
2008 D was better imho

I might have agreed with you until we took a dump the second half of the SB. It never should have been that close.

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 11:16 AM
2008 D was better imho

Different rules in different eras. Hard to compare.

frankthetank1
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
2008 D was better imho

I might have agreed with you until we took a dump the second half of the SB. It never should have been that close.

its so hard to compare players and teams from this era to the past. i would be willing to bet there were no offenses as explosive in the 70's like the cards offense was last season. im sure the 70's steeler defenses especially 76 would of course hold their own against the 2008 cards offense but its so hard to compare. i will say last year's defense dominated games as well as any defense of this era, but i dont think they were quite as dominant as the 1976 defense was for their time. how many shutouts did they have again? i know its a crazy amount

aggiebones
10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Hard to compare?

How about impossible to compare. Per there era, '76 was clearly best and probably more dominant in its era than any team in its own era, including '08.
We were great last season, but the Ravens were great too. Say what you want about them, but they were very stingy. We were better but not by much. Had they not been using a rookie QB, they may have knocked us off. I'm not trying to downplay our accomplishments, but we weren't by and away the best in '08. We were the best, just not as clearly dominant over the next team, like the '76 team was.

Jooser
10-15-2009, 11:37 AM
To all those saying apples to oranges, ... yes the offenses of today are more explosive. But, don't you think that so are the defenses of today? Lord, look at the talent on defense! We have corners who run faster than RB's and WR's. We have defensive lineman who weigh as much as the OL and run like LBs. Surely, no offense was as explosive as the Cardinals last year, but look at the athleticism of our D! Jack Lambert could be correct that the '76 Steelers D was the best ever, relatively speaking! :HeadBanger

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I was referring to the difference in rules "then and now" in my post.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Yeah, Fitzgerald is a monster...but would he be able to withstand Mel Blount hitting him in the mouth?

Mel Blount's G
10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
2008 D was better imho

The 76 steelers would not have went "prevent" in the sb 2nd half. We've all seen what our "prevent" defenses have done over the last decade. Might as well rename our prevent defense the "enable defense"

The 76 steelers would have dared Fitz to catch a pass across the middle and then let Shell or Mel lay him out.

Though we should all keep in mind that Fitz is an absolute beast, a dominant receiver, in any era.

Jooser
10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
2008 D was better imho

The 76 steelers would not have went "prevent" in the sb 2nd half. We've all seen what our "prevent" defenses have done over the last decade. Might as well rename our prevent defense the "enable defense"

The 76 steelers would have dared Fitz to catch a pass across the middle and then let Shell or Mel lay him out.

Though we should all keep in mind that Fitz is an absolute beast, a dominant receiver, in any era.

:Clap NICE MBG.

Jooser
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Are you really arguing with Jack Lambert? :wft :D

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm just sayin' the times have changed. Bradshaw taking a helmet to the earhole against the Cowboys after he launched a pass would have been a sure penalty...and possibly even an ejection in today's game.

And nowadays a DB can't so much as breathe on a receiver without drawing a flag.

Jooser
10-15-2009, 01:09 PM
May Jack have mercy on your soul. :D

flippy
10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Sure it's hard to compare, that's why it's fun.

We're now in the era of the QB and the offense.

We played all the best teams and put up incredible numbers over the course of last year.

Here's some things to think about in favor of the 2008 defense:

1. Kickers are way better. The average kicker hits in the high 80% of FGs in 2008. The average kicker hit in the mid 50% range in 76. So you get more FG attempts now and it adds to average scoring. So the 76's 9.9PPG versus the 08's 13.9 PPG is a wash.

2. The other category where 76 was better is 133 passing yards/game versus 156 YPG in 08. The 76 team was #6 in that category. The 08 team was number 1. Current era is the era of the QB and passing game. You can't mug receivers and you can't touch a QB. So even though 76 was better in this one category, 08 D was more impressive.

3. The most important stat that makes 08 more impressive. In 08, we were #23 in rushing offense and averaged 105 yards/game while the 76 team was #1 in rushing and averaged 212 yards a game. The 76 D was supported by an incredible running game. The 08 defense played with a putrid running attack and horrible OLIne that couldn't control the clock. As a result, they were on the field a lot longer than the 76 Steelers. Find another defense that was complimented by a bottom of the barrel rushing attack like the 08 Steelers. Our defense was hamstrung by our offense and overcame it. A strong rushing game is a hallmark of great defenses over the year. Except for the 08 Steelers.

4. We won a SuperBowl in 08. And we didn't in 1976. Why did we lose in 76? Because our RBs were hurt. And the 76 defense couldn't carry us without our running game.

papillon
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM

We played all the best teams and put up incredible numbers over the course of last year.

1. Kickers are way better. The average kicker hits in the high 80% of FGs in 2008. The average kicker hit in the mid 50% range in 76. So you get more FG attempts now and it adds to average scoring. So the 76's 9.9PPG versus the 08's 13.9 PPG is a wash.

2. The other category where 76 was better is 133 passing yards/game versus 156 YPG in 08. The 76 team was #6 in that category. The 08 team was number 1. Current era is the era of the QB and passing game. You can't mug receivers and you can't touch a QB. So even though 76 was better in this one category, 08 D was more impressive.

3. The most important stat that makes 08 more impressive. In 08, we were #23 in rushing offense and averaged 105 yards/game while the 76 team was #1 in rushing and averaged 212 yards a game. The 76 D was supported by an incredible running game. The 08 defense played with a putrid running attack and horrible OLIne that couldn't control the clock. As a result, they were on the field a lot longer than the 76 Steelers. Find another defense that was complimented by a bottom of the barrel rushing attack like the 08 Steelers. Our defense was hamstrung by our offense and overcame it. A strong rushing game is a hallmark of great defenses over the year. Except for the 08 Steelers.

4. We won a SuperBowl in 08. And we didn't in 1976. Why did we lose in 76? Because our RBs were hurt. And the 76 defense couldn't carry us without our running game.

There was only one healthy back available for the Raider game and his name was Harrison (I think). The Steelers tried installing a one back offense in 5 days and couldn't do it. The 76 defense was better, not by much, but they were better in mu estimation.

Pappy

flippy
10-16-2009, 10:00 AM

There was only one healthy back available for the Raider game and his name was Harrison (I think). The Steelers tried installing a one back offense in 5 days and couldn't do it. The 76 defense was better, not by much, but they were better in mu estimation.

Pappy

So give the 76 Steelers the 08 offense that couldn't run the ball for the whole season. And the 76 D would look like the defense that lost to the Raiders in the AFCC.

Give the 08 Steelers the running game from 76, and they're on the field less and put up even better results.

IMHO, 08 D was better than the 76 D by a large margin.

And they have the ring to show for it.

aggiebones
10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
There are 2 reasons why you cannot compare the two teams straight up.
One was mentioned:
difference in rules
The rules today are vastly different. You are talking about entirely different systems. Defenses back them scared the sheet of out teams with total intimidation in some cases. That is not the case for the most part today. Offenses were also more physical back them. Maybe they looked less dynamic, but it was because good offenses could run the ball alot easier and had the mindset to do so. Today's dominant O's try to do it through the air due to rules allowing easier routes.

The other difference is nutrition. You look at Jack Lambert and wonder if his lanky body would have held up as long against a player say like Brandon Jacobs. Brandon Jacobs would have likely had a similar body to Lambert back them. Guys carry more beef on their frames and the whole human race is a bit taller than it used to be. So take guys from today and have them born in 1960 to grow under the nutrition of that time and by 1976, they would have been slightly smaller. These bigger but slightly more finesse guys playing today may have not survived to the NFL back then if their size was more towards what it would have been back then. Are their some that could play in both eras and thrived. Yes.
it would have to be someone tough and skilled, like a Polamalu, Ward. The guys that you would expect.
Under todays nutrition and environment can you imagine what Lambert would have looks like and done to people? I don't want to think about it.

proudpittsburgher
10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1ywmep4a]I was referring to the difference in rules "then and now" in my post.

I'm just sayin' the times have changed. Bradshaw taking a helmet to the earhole against the Cowboys after he launched a pass would have been a sure penalty...and possibly even an ejection in today's game.

And nowadays a DB can't so much as breathe on a receiver without drawing a flag.[/quote:1ywmep4a]

Actually, when I watched that video, I looked at how many of the clips they showed (at least three on the steelers) would have resulted in a late hit penalty or a roughing penalty or something. Times are very different.

flippy
10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
There are 2 reasons why you cannot compare the two teams straight up.
One was mentioned:
difference in rules
The rules today are vastly different. You are talking about entirely different systems. Defenses back them scared the sheet of out teams with total intimidation in some cases. That is not the case for the most part today. Offenses were also more physical back them. Maybe they looked less dynamic, but it was because good offenses could run the ball alot easier and had the mindset to do so. Today's dominant O's try to do it through the air due to rules allowing easier routes.

The other difference is nutrition. You look at Jack Lambert and wonder if his lanky body would have held up as long against a player say like Brandon Jacobs. Brandon Jacobs would have likely had a similar body to Lambert back them. Guys carry more beef on their frames and the whole human race is a bit taller than it used to be. So take guys from today and have them born in 1960 to grow under the nutrition of that time and by 1976, they would have been slightly smaller. These bigger but slightly more finesse guys playing today may have not survived to the NFL back then if their size was more towards what it would have been back then. Are their some that could play in both eras and thrived. Yes.
it would have to be someone tough and skilled, like a Polamalu, Ward. The guys that you would expect.
Under todays nutrition and environment can you imagine what Lambert would have looks like and done to people? I don't want to think about it.

The rules have been slanted toward the offense. It's harder to play D now than back then.