PDA

View Full Version : Parker still on fence for Sunday

fordfixer
10-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Steelers' Parker still on fence for Sunday

By Mark Kaboly, Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, October 15, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 48032.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648032.html)

Willie Parker is going to take a wait-and-see attitude on his availability Sunday against Cleveland when it comes to his banged-up toe.

The Steelers' speedy running back was back on the practice field Wednesday for the first time since suffering a turf toe injury more than two weeks ago, and he was sporting some new shoes.

Parker was wearing specially designed shoes by Nike to protect his injured toe.

"It definitely works," Parker said after practice.

Parker said the extra protection is not made of steel; rather, it is constructed of fiberglass. Parker originally had a steel plate inserted around the toes of his shoe when he first got injured during the Cincinnati game.

"It has your toe in it, so it won't move or bend," Parker said. "It is a pretty good shoe. I felt good with it on today."

Parker received the shoe weeks ago but didn't feel the need to use it until yesterday because he wasn't able to go full speed to test it.

"It is better than just a steel plate," Parker said. "It is better than straight steel because that would kind of aggravate that."

Parker said he will be wearing the specially constructed shoe on both feet.

MeetJoeGreene
10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I am still wanting to see more of Mendy... He should get the carries and the experience. I really like what he brings to us as a receiving threat as well.

Parker should be the change of pace back....

Right now, Rushard has the hot hand (or feet)... let him continue.

Jooser
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I am still wanting to see more of Mendy... He should get the carries and the experience. I really like what he brings to us as a receiving threat as well.

Parker should be the change of pace back....

Right now, Rushard has the hot hand (or feet)... let him continue.

:Agree Well said MJG.

stlrz d
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't want to see Parker rush himself back because despite what some folks here believe, we do need him.

JTP53609
10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
i agree, rushard should be our primary back, not only does he look awesome running, but his pass catching abilities open up another dimension and safety outlet for big ben, not to mention he blocks nice too...

Oviedo
10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't want to see Parker rush himself back because despite what some folks here believe, we do need him.

Yep!!! :Agree

ANPSTEEL
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 48032.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648032.html)
By Mark Kaboly, Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, October 15, 2009

Willie Parker is going to take a wait-and-see attitude on his availability Sunday against Cleveland when it comes to his banged-up toe.

The Steelers' speedy running back was back on the practice field Wednesday for the first time since suffering a turf toe injury more than two weeks ago, and he was sporting some new shoes.

Parker was wearing specially designed shoes by Nike to protect his injured toe.

"It definitely works," Parker said after practice.

Parker said the extra protection is not made of steel; rather, it is constructed of fiberglass. Parker originally had a steel plate inserted around the toes of his shoe when he first got injured during the Cincinnati game.

"It has your toe in it, so it won't move or bend," Parker said. "It is a pretty good shoe. I felt good with it on today."

Parker received the shoe weeks ago but didn't feel the need to use it until yesterday because he wasn't able to go full speed to test it.

"It is better than just a steel plate," Parker said. "It is better than straight steel because that would kind of aggravate that."

Parker said he will be wearing the specially constructed shoe on both feet.

So here is what I don't get-

Apparently Parker is going to be the starter this Sunday against the Browns.

Why in the world would the team start a "not 100%" Willie Parker who was ineffective when healthy, over Mendenhall who has been excellent during his time in the game???

Does this seem absurd to anyone else?

steelsnis
10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Where in that article does it say that Parker is going to be the starter???

Everything I've read this week indicates that Mendenhall will get the bulk of the carries w/Parker filling in as a change of pace back if he's healthy enough to get on the field.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Tomlin doesn't want to give Mendenhall a big head by proclaiming him the starter (particularly after he loafed in practice following his first successful run in Chicago). He's going to make the kid work and continue to prove himself game-in-and-game-out. Perhaps Parker gets his starting job back simply as a motivational ploy to keep Mendenhall hungry to earn that job. But it would be in name only. It would be foolish not to give Mendenhall more carries at this point.

grotonsteel
10-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Rushard missed practice today because of flu like symptom.

Willie might start against Stains.

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Mendenhall's got the flu? Parker's got turf toe? The Tank's on injured reserve? It can only mean one thing...Carey Davis finally gets to show off his true greatness. 29 carries for 265 yards and 4 TD's. The man, the myth, the beast...Carey Davis, bee-yotch!!! :lol: