PDA

View Full Version : Drunk columnist says Ben Roethlisberger is this generation's

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 03:44 PM
....John Elway. Sure he is.

I think we all know that there are two camps on Ben Roethlisberger. He's either an elite QB because he's won two Super Bowl rings, or just an above-average QB who has benefited from a strong defense.

Now, Big Ben is having a very good year so far, but one Pittsburgh columnist decided that it was time to pull out the ultimate ace card. Ben Roethlisberger is this generation's John Elway.

Yep, here's what Ron Cook has to say about Ben:

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is the John Elway of this generation. There are a number of ways to support that supposition, starting with Roethlisberger’s two Super Bowls in his first five NFL seasons. All quarterbacks are judged by their won-loss record. Roethlisberger’s is a staggering 54-22 in the regular season, including 22-5 against AFC North Division opponents … Those are hard, fast numbers. Indisputable numbers. But just as clear is Roethlisberger’s winning mindset.”

Winning mindset? Anyway, it doesn't take much to punch a few holes in Cook's rather bold argument. Like Kyle Orton has a pretty good win-loss record as well, but I wouldn't dare call him a great QB.

Perhaps the stupidest thing Cook did in his argument was laud Ben for his leadership and confidence following a pick-6 against the Lions to show how “Elway-like” Roethlisberger is. Cook decided he probably should avoid bringing up the fact that the Lions have the worst scoring defense in the league, and are near the bottom in pass defense.

Trust me, a lot of guys look like Elway against the Lions.

Whatever. The point is it's way too early to tell if Roethlisberger is the next John Elway or not. Just do me a favor and call me when he wins an MVP, then we'll talk.

http://www.faniq.com/article/Pittsburgh ... ay-1834670 (http://www.faniq.com/article/Pittsburgh-columnist-says-Ben-Roethlisberger-is-this-generations-John-Elway-1834670)

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 03:45 PM
I usually dont post blogger column's, but thought I'd share this idiots words.....

Jigawatts
10-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I usually dont post blogger column's, but thought I'd share this idiots words.....

I don't think these people even watch the games.

They just look at fantasy numbers.

Jom112
10-14-2009, 03:49 PM
How many car dealerships does Ben own? Then we'll talk... :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't recall Ben refusing to be drafted by Baltimore....

Regardless.. Ben HAS led a lot of late come-from behind drives, so he does have that in common.

Elway's arm was just sick, though.

birtikidis
10-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Regardless.. Ben HAS led a lot of late come-from behind drives, so he does have that in common.

i don't recall ben losing a super bowl
or waiting until the end of his career to finally win one.

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM

You're right......I think they have more in common then ppl will say.

1. The 4th quarter comebacks
2. Never willing to give up on a play
3. Mad accuracy
4. 2 Super Bowl wins in 1st 5 season's...(Oh, wait a minute. John John didnt do that one)

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I proposed a while ago that Ben was this generation's Elway (clutch players). And Brady was this generation's Montana (most Super Bowls). And Peyton was this generation's Marino (stats accumulator). You could even extend it and make Drew Brees this generation's Warren Moon (masters of run-and-shoot style offenses).

Iron Shiek
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I proposed a while ago that Ben was this generation's Elway (clutch players). And Brady was this generation's Montana (most Super Bowls). And Peyton was this generation's Marino (stats accumulator). You could even extend it and make Drew Brees this generation's Warren Moon (masters of run-and-shoot style offenses).

All good observations...

These things are all cyclical (isn't that the generalization everyone typically likes to use? In this case, it seems to fit though).

fezziwig
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
When your good, people just think it is easy or luck.

TallyStiller
10-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, the Lions make a lot of guys look good... but he's done it against San Diego and Tennessee this year, against the Cards, the Rats, Dallas, San Diego again last year... just clutcxh time and time again. Just because Detroit was this week's opponents doesn't mean one can downplay the whole body of work.

Discipline of Steel
10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I didnt like Elway at all so I loathe the comparison. Elway was so clutch, he won 2 out of 5 Super Bowls. How about this generations Terry Bradshaw? Big guy who was undefeated in Super Bowls while complimenting a superior Steeler defense.

Uncle Rico
10-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Excellent post. I've also heard people say that Donovan McNabb is this generation's Jim Kelly (4 straight NFC title games, 0 Super Bowl wins).

Mister Pittsburgh
10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
You want to be notified when the Associated Press votes him MVP, but rip a writer when he gives him props?

BradshawsHairdresser
10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I like to think of myself as this generation's George Plimpton....

fordfixer
10-14-2009, 07:57 PM
How many car dealerships does Ben own? Then we'll talk... :lol:

How many does John Elway own?

Djfan
10-14-2009, 08:36 PM

You're right......I think they have more in common then ppl will say.

1. The 4th quarter comebacks
2. Never willing to give up on a play
3. Mad accuracy
4. 2 Super Bowl wins in 1st 5 season's...(Oh, wait a minute. John John didnt do that one)

And Palmer is this generations's Kordell? Kent Graham??

JTP53609
10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
i think ben will be this generations bill russell, by that I mean he will win 10 championships....(i think that is how many he won, and i think it was bill russell)

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
i think ben will be this generations bill russell, by that I mean he will win 10 championships....(i think that is how many he won, and i think it was bill russell)

I thought you meant he'd grow 4 inches and get really, really tan. :wink: