PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' worst fear confirmed: Smith out for the season

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Tests taken Monday on Aaron Smith's right shoulder confirmed the worst for the veteran defensive end and the Steelers.

Smith sustained a season-ending injury, and the Steelers will place him on injured reserve. Sonny Harris will be signed to take Smith's place on the 53-man roster.

Smith is second on the Steelers with two sacks and first in quarterback pressures with 14. His loss may hurt the defense even more against the run, as he is a major reason why the Steelers are second in the NFL in rushing defense (71.2 yards per game).

The Steelers will use a rotation of Ziggy Hood, Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason in place of Smith at defensive end.

Harris, a sixth-round draft pick of the Steelers last April, had been with the Carolina Panthers before getting released a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 47939.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647939.html)

Ghost
10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Per the Post Gazette:

- it's a torn rotator cuff. Typically requires surgery and months to heal properly.

- Kirschke who hasn't missed any games but has had some back issues has some "tighening" in his back now.

- Interesting - Harris was given the chance to sign with the Steelers practice squad 10 days ago but turned them down to remain on the Panthers practice sqaud.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-14-2009, 09:19 AM
All confirmed. Rather have Harris than Roye.

http://www.steelers.com/article/112109/

phillyesq
10-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Terrible news. I hope that Smith is able to recover for next season. I also hope that Hood is able to step in and contribute.

SteelBucks
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
IR is getting crowded. How many is that now, four? (Smith, Summers, Stapleton, McHugh).

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Rather have Harris than Roye.

Most definitely.

rpmpit
10-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Not good.

JTP53609
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
well, we were fortunate last year, now we lost our best DL for the seaon after we already played almost a third of the season with our most important defensive player, i yi yi

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
i yi yi

I've never seen anyone actually attempt to type this expression before. :P

RussBII
10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
<silver lining>

Perhaps Sonny and Ziggy (does that sound like a bad sitcom or what?) will show us what the future will look like.

</silver lining>

JTP53609
10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
i yi yi

i never attempted it either, but i figured what the heck i will give it a whirl, thank you for noticing haha

phillyesq
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
<silver lining>

Perhaps Sonny and Ziggy (does that sound like a bad sitcom or what?) will show us what the future will look like.

</silver lining>

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I think the hope is that Sonny Harris can develop into a dependable part of the DL rotation. With Kirshke's age and back issues, it would be very helpful if Harris develops into a solid player.

Steelgal
10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Per the Post Gazette:

- Interesting - Harris was given the chance to sign with the Steelers practice squad 10 days ago but turned them down to remain on the Panthers practice sqaud.

I read that the Panthers were paying him the amount of money a player on the ACTIVE roster would make, versus what practice squad players made. I think the figure was $15,000 instead of $5K maybe.......................

Tomlinator
10-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, every team in the league gets dinged up. We were fortunate last year.

I know its not a knee, but I don't like hearing about rotator cuff injuries to 33 year old DL's. He's been taking a beating in the trenches for 11 years and isn't "fresh" for his age like James Harrision.

I understand Smith is a competitor, and I'm sure he doesn't want to let the team down, but with his family situation and what he has accomplished, I'm wondering how realistic it is for him to ease into retirement, especially if things don't heal as quick as he'd like.

steelerkeylargo
10-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Per the Post Gazette:

- it's a torn rotator cuff. Typically requires surgery and months to heal properly.

- Kirschke who hasn't missed any games but has had some back issues has some "tighening" in his back now.

Concerning Harris and the Panters. I read a report that they were paying him an added bonus to stay on their PS rather than join ours!

Ghost
10-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Gal and Largo - makes a lot of sense to stay with the team that's handing out the $$. The PG didn't mention why, just that he turned the Steelers down.

frankthetank1
10-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Well, every team in the league gets dinged up. We were fortunate last year.

I know its not a knee, but I don't like hearing about rotator cuff injuries to 33 year old DL's. He's been taking a beating in the trenches for 11 years and isn't "fresh" for his age like James Harrision.

I understand Smith is a competitor, and I'm sure he doesn't want to let the team down, but with his family situation and what he has accomplished, I'm wondering how realistic it is for him to ease into retirement, especially if things don't heal as quick as he'd like.

thats the first thing that crossed my mind. 33 and a torn rotator cuff, that is really bad. losing the best run stopper on this team is a kick in the nuts. the pass defense is already suspect and now this. i dont know how far they can go this season without smith

stlrz d
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
i yi yi

Really? I've done it before...cept I type it "aye yi yi". :P

As for the rotator cuff, I tore mine and had surgery on it in 2001. January to be exact. Also had a shredded labrum to clean up along with a bone spur removed. At the age of 33. That May I was behind the plate in my catcher role on our modified fast pitch softball team...still gunning guys out at 2nd!

Of course I wasn't having to tangle with 300+ pound dudes in that role. :D

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
i yi yi

As for the rotator cuff, I tore mine and had surgery on it in 2001. January to be exact. Also had a shredded labrum to clean up along with a bone spur removed. At the age of 33. That May I was behind the plate in my catcher role on our modified fast pitch softball team...still gunning guys out at 2nd!

I also had the same thing happen to me in Oct. 2002 and I also broke a bone. I had clean up surgery and was in physical therapy for 3 months. I went back to work, but I still have trouble out of it and cant put the zing on a football like I used to because of the pain. I believe my Dr. did more damage in my surgery than good though. Although I had better movement after he operated, I also came away with a lot more pain.

Slapstick
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
It sucks to lose Smith, but the Steelers finally did learn how to scheme without him at the end of the 2007 season...

In the playoffs vs. Jacksonville, they held Fred Taylor to 48 yds (3.0 avg) and Maurice Jones-Drew to 29 yds (3.6 avg)...Jacksonville's leading rusher that day was David Garrard and that was only because the refs allowed the Jagoffs to blatantly hold on Garrard's 32 yard run...

I also feel better with Hood on the roster...I'm hoping he will begin to assert himself...

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
i yi yi

I also had the same thing happen to me in Oct. 2002 and I also broke a bone. I had clean up surgery and was in physical therapy for 3 months. I went back to work, but I still have trouble out of it and cant put the zing on a football like I used to because of the pain. I believe my Dr. did more damage in my surgery than good though. Although I had better movement after he operated, I also came away with a lot more pain.

Smith should be able to secure the services of the best orthopedic surgeon available, though, who likely specializes in professional athletes. Just like Dr. James Andrews doing knee surgeries for pretty much every NFL player down in Alabama, Smith will get the comparable shoulder guy...the best in his field.

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 01:04 PM
i yi yi

Smith should be able to secure the services of the best orthopedic surgeon available, though, who likely specializes in professional athletes. Just like Dr. James Andrews doing knee surgeries for pretty much every NFL player down in Alabama, Smith will get the comparable shoulder guy...the best in his field.

Yea, all I got was a worker's comp. paid Dr.....lol....Are you saying I didn't deserve the best treatment money can buy? Do you work for worker's comp. insurance? :moon

Shoe
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
<silver lining>

Well played sir.
I like Smith as much as the next guy, but I don't know if I see as much gloom & doom from the Nation when we lose any other player. I mean, Aaron is not Reggie White. Even when we missed Ben that stretch after the accident, it was still a 'we can do this' thought.

With Aaron, it's like everyone is writing off our D, etc. Take it easy guys. Let's see if our guys can handle it before we commit Harry Carey.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Yea, all I got was a worker's comp. paid Dr.....lol....Are you saying I didn't deserve the best treatment money can buy? Do you work for worker's comp. insurance? :moon

Nope. Social Security disability. :mrgreen:

stlrz d
10-14-2009, 01:20 PM
<silver lining>

Well played sir.
I like Smith as much as the next guy, but I don't know if I see as much gloom & doom from the Nation when we lose any other player. I mean, Aaron is not Reggie White. Even when we missed Ben that stretch after the accident, it was still a 'we can do this' thought.

With Aaron, it's like everyone is writing off our D, etc. Take it easy guys. Let's see if our guys can handle it before we commit Harry Carey.

http://api.ning.com/files/ORTKpP1W7zjUF6QWxPC8BouFzGo8O2Q2zt13QWPfhslXH8geSI WduLWHF9ufHU1czmtSF0hlB5BzNZ-wjkk-Q4Ut4nNP8dWm/p1_harrycarey2_getty.jpg

??? :shock:

Oh, you meant Hari Kari

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sXwPcolUxz4/SLql3MCQVrI/AAAAAAAAABU/RceTOXfQ898/s400/pat+ford.jpg

:lol:

Regardless, I'm not doing EITHER of those! :D

Btw, Harry Carey probably should have been committed in his latter years...but I digress....

SteelCrazy
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
<silver lining>

Well played sir.

http://api.ning.com/files/ORTKpP1W7zjUF6QWxPC8BouFzGo8O2Q2zt13QWPfhslXH8geSI WduLWHF9ufHU1czmtSF0hlB5BzNZ-wjkk-Q4Ut4nNP8dWm/p1_harrycarey2_getty.jpg

Oh, you meant Hari Kari

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sXwPcolUxz4/SLql3MCQVrI/AAAAAAAAABU/RceTOXfQ898/s400/pat+ford.jpg

Btw, Harry Carey probably should have been committed in his latter years...but I digress....

Uh 1, Uh 2, Uh 3,................

JTP53609
10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
<silver lining>

Well played sir.

Oh, you meant Hari Kari

Uh 1, Uh 2, Uh 3,................

heyyyyy, if the moon was made out of cheese, would you eat it...