PDA

View Full Version : Mendy's running style

jj28west
10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Sorry if you covered this but the Oline and Mendy seem to be on the same page and synchronized well the past couple games. The reps in practice seem to be showing up on game day. Is this alot due to the lead blocker HB/FB or Kemo's lead blocks or both?

Its nice to see the pile move and fall forward with Mendy's running. My only concern is that he is hitting the hole so hard upright that a strip will occur that will F his confidence all over again.

I am predicting a long 30+ yd gain from a screen play with Mendy. Moore has been awesome for us but the DB's will not be looking forward to tackling this guy once he reaches full throttle past the 1st line of defense. OK so its wishful thinking.

SteelHead
10-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Mendy's running style = Exactly what the Steelers need.

Great burst , hits the hole hard and makes quick decisive decisions when cutting.

I do agree though , he makes me a little nervous with the way he holds the ball sometimes. There's no doubt with his increased playing time the rest of the year that Ben and the coaching staff will constantly be reminding him to keep it "high & tight".

Rashard has truly been a sight for sore eyes.

Lonbull
10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
My opinion is that our Offensive Line and Mendenhall's success has had more to do with who we've played (Detroit and a beaten up San Diego Defense) than anything else.

Had Willie Parker been healthy and running against these same teams - I believe the output would've been pretty much the same.

I'm certainly glad that Mendenhall is getting the reps - and especially glad that he's making the most of it. But I don't think his running style has been the key to success - I think our Offensive Line being able to dominate has had a lot more to do with it.

I will add though that I was very impressed with Mendenhall's pass blocking against S.D.

Wow!

L..B.

steelsnis
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Good topic. I've been trying to figure out what other NFL back of today or the past Mendy runs like.

Havin a hard time coming up with the size/speed combo. Maybe a Terrell Davis? He's obviously not close to TD at this point, but as far as size and speed goes, it might be a good comparison.

Oh wait, scratch that. Just looked up Davis and he was only around 210 when he played.

So who's a good 225 lb RB with some speed to compare him to???

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Good topic. I've been trying to figure out what other NFL back of today or the past Mendy runs like.

Havin a hard time coming up with the size/speed combo. Maybe a Terrell Davis? He's obviously not close to TD at this point, but as far as size and speed goes, it might be a good comparison.

Oh wait, scratch that. Just looked up Davis and he was only around 210 when he played.

Herschel Walker?

NorCal-Steeler
10-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Ernest Byner fumbles and all....

SidSmythe
10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Reminds me of COREY DILLON

stlrz d
10-13-2009, 10:50 PM
My opinion is that our Offensive Line and Mendenhall's success has had more to do with who we've played (Detroit and a beaten up San Diego Defense) than anything else.

Had Willie Parker been healthy and running against these same teams - I believe the output would've been pretty much the same.

I'm certainly glad that Mendenhall is getting the reps - and especially glad that he's making the most of it. But I don't think his running style has been the key to success - I think our Offensive Line being able to dominate has had a lot more to do with it.

I will add though that I was very impressed with Mendenhall's pass blocking against S.D.

Wow!

L..B.

QFT

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50723773.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19364A19ADEE617E8A88C2061498B99304C 6B42FD0E38B1FC67

Captain Lemming
10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Barry Foster

stlrz d
10-13-2009, 11:34 PM

Wow!

L..B.

QFT

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50723773.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19364A19ADEE617E8A88C2061498B99304C 6B42FD0E38B1FC67

Barry Foster

You don't say? :D

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 11:35 PM
[quote=Lonbull]My opinion is that our Offensive Line and Mendenhall's success has had more to do with who we've played (Detroit and a beaten up San Diego Defense) than anything else.

Wow!

L..B.

QFT

Barry Foster

You don't say? :D[/quote:3jphpqkx]

A picture is worth two words. :P

sd steel
10-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Sorry if you covered this but the Oline and Mendy seem to be on the same page and synchronized well the past couple games. The reps in practice seem to be showing up on game day. Is this alot due to the lead blocker HB/FB or Kemo's lead blocks or both?

Its nice to see the pile move and fall forward with Mendy's running. My only concern is that he is hitting the hole so hard upright that a strip will occur that will F his confidence all over again.

I am predicting a long 30+ yd gain from a screen play with Mendy. Moore has been awesome for us but the DB's will not be looking forward to tackling this guy once he reaches full throttle past the 1st line of defense. OK so its wishful thinking.

The up right running style never seemed to bother Eric Dickerson. The key is he is hitting the hole hard. He is not stutterstepping and choosing like Willie has been doing recently. It's one step trust the line, find the seam, off to the races. The only time I worry about him fumbling is when he spins fighting for extra yards. It also seems like defenses this year are really trying to strip runners moreso than in the past IMO.

JTP53609
10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
he runs with a head of steam, there are a few times that he dances back there and then he gets gobbled up, but i think he does that because there is nothing and he tries to get something, i love the way he running right now, knock on wood, but he has not fumbled and that is the one thing i am scared of, game on the line he needs to put that away..

MeetJoeGreene
10-14-2009, 07:58 AM
I love his running style the last couple of games.. I think the sucess is a combination of the line opening some holes (against some weaker d's) AND Mendy.

I don't think Parker finds all of those holes or hits them with the same burst or breaks a tackle to gain 5 more yards.

I was watching the NFL Replay Detroit game and on Mendy's TD run, there WAS a safety that was closing. Mendy just flat out beat him to the corner and got the TD. Parker may have gotten indecisive and lost 2 yards. Big difference in the Redzone.

I, too, however am nervous at how he carries the ball.

Oviedo
10-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Barry Foster

Franco Harris. Watch some old film of Franco and see that they have a very similar build and style of running.

Jooser
10-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Thurman Thomas maybe?

anger 82&95
10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Barry Foster

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08118/877061-66.stm

The 23rd overall selection ... First running back drafted by the team in the first or second round since 1989 (Tim Worley). ... He's a power back who should compliment Willie Parker perfectly and has speed to boot. ... Runs a 4.41 in the 40. ... Averaged 6.4 yards a carry last season when he had 1,681 yards rushing. ... Ran for 155 yards on 17 carries against Southern California in the Rose Bowl. ... A good receiver as well with 34 receptions for 318 yards last season. ... Played for former Steelers special teams coach Ron Zook, head coach at Illinois. ... Has low center of gravity, the way Barry Foster, who holds team's single-season rushing record, ran, which is conducive to getting the tough yards.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08118/87 ... z0Tuwi6rNo (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08118/877061-66.stm#ixzz0Tuwi6rNo)

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 09:53 AM

The up right running style never seemed to bother Eric Dickerson. The key is he is hitting the hole hard. He is not stutterstepping and choosing like Willie has been doing recently. It's one step trust the line, find the seam, off to the races. The only time I worry about him fumbling is when he spins fighting for extra yards. It also seems like defenses this year are really trying to strip runners moreso than in the past IMO.

Yeah, Dickerson looked like a gazelle running out there. Others who had an upright running style include Marcus Allen, Eddie George, Roger Craig, etc.

RussBII
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM

He seems pretty eager to break out that spin. I worry about where he does it. He seems to spin in the hole a lot. Eventually someone's going to drill him right in the back.

Oviedo
10-14-2009, 10:52 AM

He seems pretty eager to break out that spin. I worry about where he does it. He seems to spin in the hole a lot. Eventually someone's going to drill him right in the back.

I'm more concerend about a helmet hitting the ball or a player ripping out the ball when he is spinning and we end up with a fumble.

stlrz d
10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Barry Foster

Franco Harris. Watch some old film of Franco and see that they have a very similar build and style of running.

Yeah, but Franco is 6' 2". Mendy is much more compact, like Foster.

So he's built like Foster but his running style is like Franco...on that we can agree!

(btw Lemming, :moon for posting the name Foster after I posted a pic...thereby stealing my observation)

Shoe
10-14-2009, 01:40 PM

:Agree

Let's not get crazy with this... yet. I'm happy to see it too, but it's hard to believe that a guy who looked so indecisive, can just turn it on at a whim.

I'm gonna say it's a combination of both though too, cuz I want him to succeed! :Cheers

steelsnis
10-14-2009, 02:30 PM
but it's hard to believe that a guy who looked so indecisive, can just turn it on at a whim.

I'd have a hard time calling Mendenhall "indecisive." Especially since the Chargers game was the first time in his short career that he's ever had a bunch of meaningful carries.

I could never have judged the guy based on the few opportunities he had up to that point.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 02:50 PM
but it's hard to believe that a guy who looked so indecisive, can just turn it on at a whim.

I'd have a hard time calling Mendenhall "indecisive." Especially since the Chargers game was the first time in his short career that he's ever had a bunch of meaningful carries.

I could never have judged the guy based on the few opportunities he had up to that point.

People seem to have no problem at all judging Sweed based on the few opportunities he has received up to this point, though.

flippy
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Wow!

L..B.

Agreed

Steelerphile
10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
This year, I don't think there is any way Parker's output would have been the same as Mendenhall's was against SD and Detroit.

Parker has had his opportunities and he is averaging 3.1 a carry and Mendenhall is over 5 yrds. Mendenhall looks much better this year than Parker. It isn't attributable solely to the defenses he has run against or the OL blocking well only when he is running,

And all this stuff about how he runs high! I don't see that at all. He is only 5' 11" if that, so how can he be running so high. If he were over 6", I think that might make a bit more sense.

sd steel
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
This year, I don't think there is any way Parker's output would have been the same as Mendenhall's was against SD and Detroit.

Parker has had his opportunities and he is averaging 3.1 a carry and Mendenhall is over 5 yrds. Mendenhall looks much better this year than Parker. It isn't attributable solely to the defenses he has run against or the OL blocking well only when he is running,

And all this stuff about how he runs high! I don't see that at all. He is only 5' 11" if that, so how can he be running so high. If he were over 6", I think that might make a bit more sense.

????? Running high has nothing to do with your height, it's about bending at your waist and running with your shoulders down.

SidSmythe
10-14-2009, 06:33 PM
You guys can't be serious ....
Mendy does NOT run like Barry Foster.
Barry Foster was a North/South runner like Bettis w/out the fat.

Mendy is more like a Fred Taylor or a Corey Dillon.
If you don't agree w me, then take the full :moon

stlrz d
10-14-2009, 08:43 PM

I disagree. Mendy has had some nice holes to run though. He may have broken some tackles Parker wouldn't have, but Parker is still faster and may have taken some of those runs through gaping holes for more yardage.

You guys can't be serious ....
Mendy does NOT run like Barry Foster.
Barry Foster was a North/South runner like Bettis w/out the fat.

Mendy is more like a Fred Taylor or a Corey Dillon.
If you don't agree w me, then take the full :moon

I agree with those comparisons too, but I also recall us running off tackle quite a bit with Foster. And I recall him bouncing a lot of those outside if there was no hole...but usually there was...damn we had some good lines in his day!

So I guess it's a half moon for me.... :D

Steelerphile
10-15-2009, 03:46 PM

????? Running high has nothing to do with your height, it's about bending at your waist and running with your shoulders down.

I think it may have something to do with your height. A 5' 8" running back would never be accused of running high. But even with that I don't see anything unusually "high" about how Mendenhall runs. I think the announcer said that during the telecast and other people heard and are regurgitating that remark. I just disagree.

sd steel
10-16-2009, 12:12 AM

I think it may have something to do with your height. A 5' 8" running back would never be accused of running high. But even with that I don't see anything unusually "high" about how Mendenhall runs. I think the announcer said that during the telecast and other people heard and are regurgitating that remark. I just disagree.

No, believe me I have played football and running back for many years, and I coach football, and it has nothing to do with height. It means a running back is not squaring up his shoulders and bending at his waist when he runs. Basically we call it "protecting your numbers", so you don't receive a blow to your upper legs stomach and chest area. You are also better able to protect the ball when you run. I don't think Mendenhall is running as high as he did last year, and where everyone started critiquing Mendenhall last year was when he took a hit in preseason about 7 yards down field and he was running upright. Every back has their own style, but most coaches want players to run lower to the ground to protect themselves and to deliver a blow instead of taking one, and to protect the football.