PDA

View Full Version : Could The Steelers Make a Trade?

flippy
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
There's 3 star DLinemen on really bad teams....Seymore, Stroud, and Peppers. And there's a handful of others we could target.

Would we ever make a trade mid season?

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Peppers is a 4-3 DE. He would not fit as a 3-4 DE whatsoever. Way too long and lean. He wanted to be traded to a 3-4 team in the offseason, but that is because he fancies himself as a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB, not a run-stuffing 3-4 DE.

I liked both Seymour and Stroud as potential 3-4 candidates when they came out of Georgia together in the same draft. They both have the requisite body type and are talented players. But that was a long time ago.

Stroud has never played in a 3-4. He's been a 4-3 DT for his entire career in Jacksonville and Buffalo. You can't just magically learn the intricacies of playing 3-4 DE in the middle of a season if you have never played it before.

Seymour has played in New England's hybrid scheme, meaning that he understands what it takes to play in a 3-4 front. However, Oakland just gave up what should be a very high first round draft pick to get him. They would want our likely low first round draft pick and probably more to get him. There is no way I give that up for a guy who is over 30 and is not signed beyond this season.

We'll roll with a 3-4 DE rotation of Keisel, Hood, Kirschke, and Eason. The only move that they may make would be claiming Sonny Harris off of Carolina's practice squad to bring him onto our 53 man roster for young depth (since he spent training camp and the preseason with us, he at least has a rudimentary knowledge of LeBeau's scheme).

BradshawsHairdresser
10-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Might want to consider Peppers, not as a replacement for Smith, but for Woodley, who has been a total dud so far this season...

Lonbull
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Would we ever make a trade mid season?

I don't think it would be the Steelers style to make a mid-season trade - in almost any case.

Especially not for a high profile player that could command a high draft pick. Let's say Charlie Batch were injured - I could see the Steelers offering a low draft pick for Byron Leftwich - but other than something like that - I doulbt it.

But bidding on a player who is currently a starter for another team - would be a complete surprise to me.

In this case - we've already invested a 1st round draft pick to play Defensive End (Hood), to invest another 1st day pick for the same position - but for a player much older with less future dividends seems counter to how the Steelers usually operate.

L.B.

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Might want to consider Peppers, not as a replacement for Smith, but for Woodley, who has been a total dud so far this season...

They would not consider making this move. It would be totally illogical. Peppers has never played in the 3-4. Peppers wants top dollar. The Steelers would have to give up a lot to get Peppers.

Strange how fans want to drop our players so quickly.

Oviedo
10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
This isn't baseball where you can make a midseason trade for the stretch run. The salary cap will prevent the Steelers from trading for any starter with a starters salary because they would have to get rid of 3-4 players to fit under the cap.

Northern_Blitz
10-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I think that playing DE in our system is more about character than it is about pure skill.

We need guys that are willing to do the dirty work without getting the glory (sacks or tackles). I think this might eliminate many of the "high profile" players people might want to trade for.

JTP53609
10-14-2009, 07:31 AM
i say our DL will be adequete...but lets go for the kill and get that asgohoma of the raiders, haha, im just kidding, sort of...we would never do that but could you imagine that secondary once troy comes back....

Steel Life
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd look for a guy like Anthony Montgomery of the Redskins (6'6", 320) who's lost playing time with Haynesworth's arrival. He would cost a low round pick & bring some needed youth & size.

Here's a list of some interesting street FAs...

Dewayne Robertson (DE in 3-4) - Former first-round pick who has underachieved, but has experience in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes.
William Joseph (DE in 3-4) - Same here but has better size & may be better suited for 3-4.
Shaun Smith - When motivated, he's at least a decent low-end starter. He just got reinstated off his four-game suspension.
Rodrique Wright (DE in 3-4) - Former All-American from Texas has size (6'5", 300) & youth to learn the 3-4.
Kevin Carter (DE in 3-4) - Source said he's not interested in playing as of now.
Anthony Weaver (DE in 3-4) - Versatility should help him find work.
Orpheus Roye - 3-4 DE who fits in as a fifth end. Worked out for the Falcons recently.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd look for a guy like Anthony Montgomery of the Redskins (6'6", 320) who's lost playing time with Haynesworth's arrival. He would cost a low round pick & bring some needed youth & size.

Here's a list of some interesting street FAs...

Dewayne Robertson (DE in 3-4) - Former first-round pick who has underachieved, but has experience in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes.
William Joseph (DE in 3-4) - Same here but has better size & may be better suited for 3-4.
Shaun Smith - When motivated, he's at least a decent low-end starter. He just got reinstated off his four-game suspension.
Rodrique Wright (DE in 3-4) - Former All-American from Texas has size (6'5", 300) & youth to learn the 3-4.
Kevin Carter (DE in 3-4) - Source said he's not interested in playing as of now.
Anthony Weaver (DE in 3-4) - Versatility should help him find work.
Orpheus Roye - 3-4 DE who fits in as a fifth end. Worked out for the Falcons recently.

We brought Roye in for a workout, but ended up signing Sonny Harris (our 6th round pick in this past draft) off of Carolina's practice squad, so this is pretty much moot now. Harris will provide depth behind Keisel, Kirschke, Eason, and Hood.

Jom112
10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Just throwing it out there but what about Javon Kearse to rotate with Woodley? Kearse isn't a full time double-digit sack type of player anymore, but in a rotation with Woodley both players could potentially benefit.

He could probably be had for fairly cheap (6th or 7th round pick)...

Oviedo
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Just throwing it out there but what about Javon Kearse to rotate with Woodley? Kearse isn't a full time double-digit sack type of player anymore, but in a rotation with Woodley both players could potentially benefit.

Once again this is not baseball. The salary cap prevents these types of trades from occurring for a team like the Steelers that are near the cap limit right now. The only players you can sign is young players off the practice squad who are relatively cheap.
Veterans like Kearse would force you to cut players to clear cap space and I can't see that happening.

Jom112
10-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Once again this is not baseball. The salary cap prevents these types of trades from occurring for a team like the Steelers that are near the cap limit right now. The only players you can sign is young players off the practice squad who are relatively cheap.
Veterans like Kearse would force you to cut players to clear cap space and I can't see that happening.

He just signed a two year $6 Mil deal, last season.

$3 Mil per season is not an un-tradeable contract. But yeah, it's probably not going to happen, but it's a thread on trades. Just throwing stuff out there for fun...

flippy
10-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Peppers is a 4-3 DE. He would not fit as a 3-4 DE whatsoever. Way too long and lean. He wanted to be traded to a 3-4 team in the offseason, but that is because he fancies himself as a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB, not a run-stuffing 3-4 DE.

I liked both Seymour and Stroud as potential 3-4 candidates when they came out of Georgia together in the same draft. They both have the requisite body type and are talented players. But that was a long time ago.

Stroud has never played in a 3-4. He's been a 4-3 DT for his entire career in Jacksonville and Buffalo. You can't just magically learn the intricacies of playing 3-4 DE in the middle of a season if you have never played it before.

Seymour has played in New England's hybrid scheme, meaning that he understands what it takes to play in a 3-4 front. However, Oakland just gave up what should be a very high first round draft pick to get him. They would want our likely low first round draft pick and probably more to get him. There is no way I give that up for a guy who is over 30 and is not signed beyond this season.

We'll roll with a 3-4 DE rotation of Keisel, Hood, Kirschke, and Eason. The only move that they may make would be claiming Sonny Harris off of Carolina's practice squad to bring him onto our 53 man roster for young depth (since he spent training camp and the preseason with us, he at least has a rudimentary knowledge of LeBeau's scheme).

Seymore would fit the system perfectly.

And Stroud would work.

But I was thinking if we got one of these guys, we'd obviously adjust the system to them.

I'd consider using a 2-5/4-3 with Peppers.

And running a 4-3/3-4 with Stroud.

I'm sure Tombeau could figure it out.

Bottom line is we wanna get more pressure with fewer guys and any of these DLineman would help on that front.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-14-2009, 07:28 PM

They would not consider making this move. It would be totally illogical. Peppers has never played in the 3-4. Peppers wants top dollar. The Steelers would have to give up a lot to get Peppers.

Strange how fans want to drop our players so quickly.

I wasn't being serious...I know Peppers is priced out of our range.

I am totally frustrated with the drop-off in Woodley's production, however. While I realize the Steelers will not trade for a replacement for him, I sure wish they could find some way to light a fire under his butt...

Steel Life
10-15-2009, 12:17 AM
One thing to consider in all this...how does this play out for next (uncapped) year? We had a old D-Line to begin with & with Smitty hurt & Casey's questionable status (not to mention work habits) - what do we do in the future? With the players we have & the window of opportunity, do we have time to develop another high draft pick or do we go the FA route?

With that in mind, here's a partial list potential defensive FAs for next season (Age as of 9/1/09)...

Julius Peppers, Carolina Panthers (29)
Peppers wants a 3-4 team to boost his opportunities but he'd be a OLB & too expensive to consider.

Aaron Kampman, Green Bay Packers (29)
Kampman is a 4-3 DE forced to play SLB in GB's 3-4, he'll run to a 4-3 team.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee Titans (30)
Great player, but without Haynesworth he's struggling as teams focus on him & he'll be 31.

Marcus Spears, Dallas Cowboys (26)
Already plays 3-4 DE, needs a change of scenery & might not cost too much.

Anthony Montgomery, Washington Redskins (25)
Huge (6'6", 330) with 21 starts, can he play the 3-4?

Vince Wilfork, New England Patriots (27)
P*triots won't let him get away.

Richard Seymour, New England Patriots (29)
Raiders didn't trade for him to let him get away.

Barry Cofield, New York Giants (25)
It's not often that you get a second chance at player you should've taken in the draft, but Cofield is worth it. Coming from the same draft in which we took Reid & Smith in the 3rd & Orien Harris in the 4th (passing on Jason Hatcher & Domata Peko), Cofield has the size & strength to play the 3-4 plus has the experience of playing on very good Giants defenses.

Kedric Golston, Washington Redskins (26)
Attractive wave-player, spot-starter with size & some experience.

Travis Johnson, San Diego Chargers (27)
Has 3-4 DE & NT experience, is considered a good player against the run.

Johnny Jolly, Green Bay Packers (26)
Starting DE in the Packers 3-4, really doubt they'll let him get away.

Clifton Ryan, St. Louis Rams (25)
Starts for the Rams, but we won't hold it against him. Decent player who may not be a 3-4 guy.

Tank Tyler, Kansas City Chiefs (24)
Tyler is young & could be a more athletic NT option with an aggressive penetrating style.

FYI - Watch for Adam Carriker (STL) to possibly become available as the new staff looks to dump contracts & their patience with Carriker's injuries wears out. He's been bounced around too much by poor coaching & needs a fresh start.