View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Presser for your disection

steelerkeylargo
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
notice how he says "Ziggy isnt ready to come out of the oven yet"

A A A A A

Mike Tomlin press conference

Mike Tomlin (Shamus/Getty Images) By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Oct 13, 2009

The good news from Mike Tomlin is that Troy Polamalu and Willie Parker will practice this week, but the Steelers' coach delivered some potentially bad news about Aaron Smith.

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
Good afternoon. Big week for us as we begin to prepare for the Cleveland Browns, for a lot of reasons. Number one, everybodyís aware of the rivalry that we have with this outfit. Itís a divisional game. Weíve yet to secure a division win. Thatíll be in the front of our minds as we prepare. But, also, we acknowledge that the Cleveland Browns organization has gone through some changes here of late, so we have to respect that as we prepare. Coach (Eric) Mangini has brought in a new attitude with that group. So itís not as familiar an opponent as one might expect from a divisional-opponent standpoint, so weíve got to be really sharp in terms of preparation and acknowledge some of those changes and not get too comfortable just because some of the names and jersey numbers are familiar.

When we talk about the Brownsí offense, it looks like Jamal Lewis is healthy. When you look at the tape from last weekend, he had well over 100 yards and heís still the bruising, downhill runner that weíre familiar with here. He almost ran for 100 yards in Week 17 against us last year. Weíve got a great deal of respect for him and what heís capable of doing. While he was out, they discovered they also have a quality runner in Jerome Harrison, who is up over 200 yards for the season. Itíll be interesting to see how they continue to work those two. Saw Jamal Lewis play some fullback last week. Those are two guys that I know that they want to put the ball in their hands. I think Jerome is their leading receiver to this point. If you look at the left side of their line, weíre very impressed by those guys. Joe Thomas at left tackle is a perennial Pro Bowl-caliber player. Heís always had fierce battles and competitions with James Harrison. Thatís going to be a premium matchup in the football game, one that weíre going to keep a close eye on. Of course, we desire to apply pressure to the quarterback and James has done that for us consistently. He faces a stiff challenge in Joe Thomas. Beside him is (Eric) Steinbach. They formulate a tough left side and Iím sure theyíll be focused on running the football over there, so James Harrison and Brett Keisel have to be ready to go in that regard. There are some changes in terms of the receivers that they work with, some highly regarded draft picks. (Mohamed) Massaquoi from Georgia rung up 150 on Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago. He appears to be a young guy on the come, one that weíd better be prepared to deal with. Of course, a local guy from the Cleveland area, (Brian) Robiskie from Ohio State, appears to be rounding into shape and getting some reps. Josh Cribbs is a guy we know and have a great deal of respect for, not only as a wide receiver but we know what heís done to us here in the past as a return man, both punts and kicks.

Defensively, you look at them and it starts up front for them, particularly in the middle with Shaun Rogers. This is a disruptive force. This guy wreaks havoc; he does every time he plays us. It must be his personal relationship with Casey Hampton or something. We expect him to be at his best, but he also has some quality people playing alongside of him. Robaire Smith of course is a top quality player. They picked up (Kenyon) Coleman in free agency. C.J. Mosley came over from the Jets. Heís familiar with Coach Mangini and his schemes. And then of course they have Corey Williams, who they picked up in free agency from Green Bay a few years back. So theyíve got a nice rotation of big men. Theyíre disruptive and it starts there for them. If you look at the cornerback position, I think thatís another area of strength, one thatís going to be a key component in the game. In Eric Wright and (Brandon) McDonald, they have two corners who are very comfortable playing at the line of scrimmage and getting in receiversí faces, challenging them. Both guys are very ball aware and have great hand-eye (coordination). They donít tense up at the ball and are very good down the field, very instinctual players. The story of this game quite frankly could come down to our ability to get off the line of scrimmage and win in man-to-man situations, something that theyíve excelled at. Those two guys, coupled with Hank Poteat, of course, whoís been with Coach Mangini in three different cities, theyíre very good at getting in peopleís faces and covering people up and playing different varieties of man coverage and really destroying the timing of your routes by the way that they play on the line of scrimmage. Of course, from a rush standpoint, (Kamerion) Wimbley, their outside linebacker, is an accomplished rush man. He has four sacks at this point in the season. They partnered him with (David) Bowens, who is familiar with Coach Mangini. Heís another free agent that they brought in, along with Eric Barton, whoís a savvy veteran interior linebacker.

Those things being said, itís obvious weíve got some work to do. We intend to do that. I think itís important that we prepare with an edge this week, try to seek our first divisional win, trying to string together some victorious-type performances, something thatís going to be critical as we continue to move forward.

On the injury front, Trai Essex went down in the football game and was able to come back and finish. Weíll see how he looks. He may be limited here in the early part of the week. Similar situation with Andre Frazier. He had a quad contusion, went down in the game, was able to come back and finish. Weíll see what he looks like, but he may be limited here in the front part of the week. Travis Kirschke had some tightening in his back during the course of the game, off and on. Weíll probably limit him early in the week. Chris (Kemoeatu) came through pretty good with his left ankle. He should be fine. Weíre looking forward to getting Willie Parker (toe) and Troy (Polamalu, knee) back to work. Both guys are scheduled to participate in practice (Wednesday). Weíll let those guys do that, hopefully without any limitations, but weíll be light on our feet and then weíll evaluate their availability later in the week. Itíll really be interesting to see how they respond Thursday morning after having a dayís work. Probably the most significant injury of note is Aaron Smith. He has a right shoulder injury, one thatís being evaluated right now and potentially could be significant. Weíll deal with that information as we get it, and of course you guys will get it from there, but really at this point weíre evaluating him. Potentially he could definitely be out of this football game.

Ellis: Mike, it appears Ben (Roethlisberger)ís taking his game to new heights just about every game out. Do you see it that way? And if so could you maybe give us some of your perspective on why thatís the case?

A: Ben is a veteran quality football player whoís got awesome life experience for a guy his age. Heís seen about all that this business has to offer. He has a desire to be great. His sole motivation is winning. (His) performances arenít perfect Ė heíll be the first to tell you that Ė but when the rubber meets the road weíre glad that the ball is in his hands. Heís delivered time and time again. Thatís what we expect. Thatís what he expects. Heís pretty comfortable in those shoes. And not only the things that you see that turn up on the stat sheet, but this guy has developed into a quality, veteran leader on this football team. Of course, heís our captain.

Reporter: When did Aaron get hurt? And when you said significant, is it potentially a long-range thing?

A: I donít know the answer to the length of time at this point, but I will acknowledge that it is potentially significant. And of course he hurt it in the football game.

Q: How much has Ziggy Hood played this year? And how ready is he to get in there right now?

A: Heís of course played in just about every football game heís had a helmet on. Heís played special teams in some games. Heís had more defensive snaps in others. He played a pretty significant portion of the game this past week. Heís a young guy thatís on the come. Heís got a lot of talent. Heís not out of the oven yet, if you will. We acknowledge that. He acknowledges that. And as long as we continue to do that, heíll move in the right direction. So heíll continue along those lines in terms of participation, but by no means is Ziggy Hood a potential replacement for Aaron Smith at this point. Itíll probably be a committee of bodies whoíll try to fill that void.

Q: Who else would that include?

A: The usual suspects: Travis Kirschke, Nick Eason, Ziggy Hood.

Q: Clevelandís QB was 2-for-17 last week. I assume youíll prepare for him the same way you did Jay Cutler who was coming off a bad game.

A: You know, you guys chuckled when I made that reference in regards to Cutler. Thereís not enough respect for what professionals are capable of in todayís NFL, if you ask my opinion. This is a Pro Bowl guy. Heís been to the Pro Bowl. Heís delivered for them before. Heís a quality player. What he did last week is no indication or has no bearing on what heís going to do this week. As a matter of fact, I know just the opposite: Usually guys of his caliber do bounce back and respond with favorable performances, so we anticipate him being his best. Weíve got respect for that element of it, just like we had respect for that element of it in regards to Cutler, who proved that he was capable of bouncing back.

Ellis: Mike, recognizing that you often speak about a week-to-week analysis, and yet when you look at where things are right now, do you see that maybe in some respects, what happened in Detroit, having to struggle late, could be helpful going into this week of preparation against a team thatís down as well?

A: I donít analyze it in that way. Iím just trying to do whatís required on a week-to-week basis to win. We did what was required to win in Detroit. I think any time you face adversity and you come through the other side it helps you in some way. Maybe it doesnít help you directly in terms of preparing or ultimately playing in this game, but I think it does bring teams together. You get knowledge and information about what youíre capable of collectively, what individuals are capable of, if theyíre capable of delivering in significant moments. I think thatís what some of the adversity provides when you come through the other side like weíve been able to the last couple of weeks.

Q: How would you assess the performance of the defense through those first five weeks of the season?

A: Three and two, just like I assess my performance thus far. Ultimately, thatís all that matters. Iím singularly focused. Theyíre singularly focused. At times, I know theyíd like to be more dominant. Iíd like them to be more dominant. But we donít always get what we want in the National Football League. Along the way weíd better find ways to win and continue to strike the chords that are necessary to improve while you do it.

Q: Coach, if Willieís able to go, how do you foresee he and Rashard (Mendenhall) sharing the running duties?

A: You know, I really hadnít pondered the division of labor to this point. I think the most important thing in that discussion right now is Willieís availability and the level of his availability. I think those answers will be provided to us as we proceed through the week and then weíll address them at the appropriate time.

Q: How much were you blitzing Sunday?

A: We hadnít changed our personality. We want to apply pressure to the quarterback. If you can do it with four, great. If you need more than four, than weíre willing to do that. I think consistent pressure on the quarterback is the key to playing good defense. Really, at this point, Iíve watched so much Cleveland tape I canít recall the specific instances of what happened in the second half of that game in Detroit in regards to that.

Q: Because the blitzes were successful at the end, might you bust those out earlier this week?

A: We follow a similar formula every week, man. We want pressure on the quarterback. If four can provide it, then great, because that leaves more men for coverage. If we need to apply pressure with more than four, weíre willing to do that as well.

Q: Mike, you spoke about the Steelers fans in attendance in Detroit and all through Detroit after the game, but can you speak to the effect of what that crowd was like and really the environment in the last series when they had to make plays offensively and it was a crazy place.

A: Itís special, but so is Steeler Nation. It is a unique thing to stand on the visiting sideline and feel and get and hear fan support. To come out of a tunnel and see those Terrible Towels in visiting stadiums is unique. Itís something that we donít take for granted. I know I donít take it for granted. And no doubt it was significant at the end of that game, when we had to stand up and make a few plays, that support that we had from our fans.

Q: How can you get more turnovers?

A: Youíd like to think that itís going to come, and come in bunches, but usually when youíre not getting turnovers it comes down to a few things: You need more detail quality work and you need to play harder and faster. When you do those things, youíre opportunistic. And thatís what happens. Big plays happen when opportunity and technique and energy meet, so weíre focused on the things we can control. What we canít do is get overly concerned with the lack of turnovers and try to do too much. What we need to do is simply focus on the minute details and tasks that each call, each defense, entails, and how each individual man fits in it, and do it with a great deal of energy, passion and finish. I truly believe that the turnovers in the end will be there if we do those things.

Q: Was your red zone success the last two games circumstantial? Or can you pinpoint the reason for the success?

A: We place a premium on situational football. Weíve devoted quite a bit of practice time to that element of our game Thursdays and Fridays, offensively specifically. And I just think over the course of the season as you continue to work on Thursdays and Fridays, you get better, or at least youíd like to think you get better. As you continue to do that, hopefully your batting average down there improves. I know that ours has. I think weíve been 8-for-8 down there in the last couple of weeks. I know you canít improve on that, but hopefully we sustain it in some form or fashion.

Q: Detroitís batting average on third down is probably something youíre not happy with. Could you talk a little bit about some of the factors that you saw that led to that?

A: They popped a few screens. Got to give (Daunte) Culpepper credit; he broke us down with his legs a few times. Heís a big, strong guy. We had hands on him in the backfield. He shook some tackles, converted a few. Their screen game, and how they changed up their screen game with Scott Lineham, their offensive coordinator, was impressive. Youíve got to tip your hat to those guys. They threw screens to different backs, to Will Heller a tight end. They did some nice things. They ran a counter play on 3rd-down-and-8 to a fullback who hadnít touched the ball much. We thought the guy was in there as a protector. They spun the dial on us pretty good. Youíve got to tip your hat to them.

Q: How much better can Rashard get?

A: Boy, heíd better continue to do that. Thatís something we ask for and require all of our young guys to do. We know heís capable. We know heís a talented young man. Heís delivered for us pretty good over the last couple of weeks, but his best days as a running back and as a Pittsburgh Steeler definitely lie ahead. As long as he respects the preparation process and continues to come in here with a humble and willing-to-work demeanor like he has, I see no reason why he doesnít continue to improve.

Q: What about closing out games?

A: Iím always going to see room for improvement. I donít get preoccupied with some of the discussions that we have, to be quite honest with you. Thereís always going to be discussions, there are always going to be areas that need improvement. I havenít answered a running game question here in a couple of weeks. I havenít answered a protection question here in the last few weeks. The issue now is finishing out games in the fourth quarter. So be it. I just answer questions. As long as we find ways to win, I donít have any problem with what we talk about.

Q: Would you have liked to have run more in the second half?

A: Hindsight is beautiful, man. Itís perfect. Itís 20/20. The reality is we made sound calls. We couldíve executed them better. In hindsight, would I have liked to have done things differently? Iíd liked to have done things differently in all three phases of the game looking back at it, but you donít get that do-over. Thatís why itís important that we prepare, and prepare with an edge, and focus on things that lie ahead of us this week.

Q: Why are the sack totals down? Is Ben getting rid of the ball or is he getting better protection or a combo of both?

A: All of the above potentially. Theyíre down because they are, but thatís not our story. Weíre writing our story. We better be prepared to protect Ben and Ben better be prepared to get rid of the ball this week. If not, heís going to have a very large man in the backfield, No. 92, and a guy No. 95 thatís coming off the edge, and some other guys. Theyíre dangerous people. They get to the quarterback. I just finished watching their Minnesota game. Minnesota won the game in a pretty convincing fashion, but I saw Brett Favre on his back quite a bit looking at that football game. Itís an area of concern as we prepare this week.

Q: How will you handle Limas Sweedís playing time going forward?

A: Again, thatís something weíre going to look at this week. Shaun McDonaldís a veteran guy whoís capable of potentially freeing himself up and getting open against people that are going to play in his face. Weíre going to put together a formula that puts us in the best position to win, so weíre going to watch those two guys work this week and determine who gets the hat.

Q: Did you play Limas based on Xs and Os? Or did you want to get him back in there and involved?

A: Itís really going to be week to week as we proceed with those two from here on out. Last week Limas provided us a little more assistance on special teams. Heís a bigger bodied guy. Heís a legitimate special teams player as a wide receiver. He plays tackle on our kickoff return team. He does some punt return work for us. That adds value to him when you determine who plays for you. As coaches, we subscribe to the philosophy of The More You Can Do, but we also acknowledge that Shaun McDonaldís a guy thatís capable of separating at breaks points and getting open and moving chains. Weíve seen him do that in other cities. We also saw him do that quite a bit for us in the preseason. He caught quite a few third-down balls for us in the preseason. Those are the options we weigh as we prepare.

Q: How does Shaun Rogers block so many kicks?

A: Heís big. Heís powerful. Heís athletic. Every time we play that guy, we take attendance in the meeting and always get a collective total of NFL blocked kicks in the room. Heís got more than our team. Iím sure heís got more than most teams. Heís special in that way. Thatís an element of the game that weíre going to play close attention to. Itís something that we do every time we face him because we acknowledge that he is the best in the world at doing that.

Q: Has the recent improvement of the offensive line allowed you to use Heath Miller more as a receiver?

A: No. I just think weíre finding him. We know what heís capable of. He and Ben have worked together for an extended period of time now. Thereís a great deal of comfort there. Heath is a proven veteran player. Weíre glad that weíre getting production from him. I wouldnít say his increased production has anything to do with offensive line play

NWNewell
10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Reporter: When did Aaron get hurt? And when you said significant, is it potentially a long-range thing?

A: I donít know the answer to the length of time at this point, but I will acknowledge that it is potentially significant. And of course he hurt it in the football game.

Q: How would you assess the performance of the defense through those first five weeks of the season?

A: Three and two, just like I assess my performance thus far. Ultimately, thatís all that matters. Iím singularly focused. Theyíre singularly focused. At times, I know theyíd like to be more dominant. Iíd like them to be more dominant. But we donít always get what we want in the National Football League. Along the way weíd better find ways to win and continue to strike the chords that are necessary to improve while you do it.

Not to take anything away from his coaching ability. And I've realized that Tomlin is not here to appease the Media and fans and he is focused on getting W's for the Steelers. And I can respect that... but sometimes these kind of comments piss me off.

A: Iím always going to see room for improvement. I donít get preoccupied with some of the discussions that we have, to be quite honest with you. Thereís always going to be discussions, there are always going to be areas that need improvement. I havenít answered a running game question here in a couple of weeks. I havenít answered a protection question here in the last few weeks. The issue now is finishing out games in the fourth quarter. So be it. I just answer questions. As long as we find ways to win, I donít have any problem with what we talk about.

A: Hindsight is beautiful, man. Itís perfect. Itís 20/20. The reality is we made sound calls. We couldíve executed them better. In hindsight, would I have liked to have done things differently? Iíd liked to have done things differently in all three phases of the game looking back at it, but you donít get that do-over. Thatís why itís important that we prepare, and prepare with an edge, and focus on things that lie ahead of us this week.

And can't you handle critiquing with a little more tact. You may not like it, but these press conferences are part of your job... a job that you get paid very well to do. Too often he seems like he's whining. For all his, "we let the tape speak for it's self" and "the standard of expectation doesn't change", he never just tells it like it is.

Oh, well... no one is perfect, and as long has he keeps bring in W's and SB's, I guess I can overlook this.

Flasteel
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
[quote]Reporter: When did Aaron get hurt? And when you said significant, is it potentially a long-range thing?

Not to take anything away from his coaching ability. And I've realized that Tomlin is not here to appease the Media and fans and he is focused on getting W's for the Steelers. And I can respect that... but sometimes these kind of comments piss me off.

And can't you handle critiquing with a little more tact. You may not like it, but these press conferences are part of your job... a job that you get paid very well to do. Too often he seems like he's whining. For all his, "we let the tape speak for it's self" and "the standard of expectation doesn't change", he never just tells it like it is.

Oh, well... no one is perfect, and as long has he keeps bring in W's and SB's, I guess I can overlook this.[/quote:q7bkpmt4]

Man. I love Tomlin and all, but as I was reading this, I couldn't help thinking that this guy is one of the all-time great tap dance artists. His "Tomlinisms" are smooth and colorful but I don't know if I've ever seen a guy say less with so many words. It's almost like he's trying to Jedi Mind-trick everyone.

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
[quote]Reporter: When did Aaron get hurt? And when you said significant, is it potentially a long-range thing?

Oh, well... no one is perfect, and as long has he keeps bring in W's and SB's, I guess I can overlook this.

Man. I love Tomlin and all, but as I was reading this, I couldn't help thinking that this guy is one of the all-time great tap dance artists. His "Tomlinisms" are smooth and colorful but I don't know if I've ever seen a guy say less with so many words. It's almost like he's trying to Jedi Mind-trick everyone.[/quote:30jxcico]

Jedi Tomlin: "Win or win not. There is no tie."

Jedi Tomlin: "Ready is Mendenhall? What know he of ready?"

Jeff Reed: "I canít believe I missed twice." Jedi Tomlin: "That is why you fail."

Jedi Tomlin: "Do not underestimate the powers of the Dark Si...err...New England Patriots."

Kevin Colbert: "Aaron Smith is our last hope." Jedi Tomlin: "No, there is another."

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yoda-pimping-easy-it-is-not.jpghttp://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mike-tomlin.jpg

Slapstick
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
What exactly do people want Tomlin to say?

NWNewell
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
What exactly do people want Tomlin to say?

How about:

A: That is an area we need to improve on all round. Our pass rush, our pass defense, our offense excussion and time of postion. Part of that is geting the defense off the field in third down situations.

A: No. We actually ran the ball 8 out of 18 plays in the second half. For the most part we were unsuccessful and other situations in the game dictated some of the play calling (sacks and what not).

A: I donít know the answer to the length of time at this point, but I will acknowledge that it is potentially significant. "He hurt it during a running play when he got caught up in the pile" or whatever, or even, "I'm not sure what specific play"

A: Three and two, just like I assess my performance thus far. Ultimately, thatís all that matters. Iím singularly focused. Theyíre singularly focused. At times, I know theyíd like to be more dominant. Iíd like them to be more dominant. But we donít always get what we want in the National Football League. Along the way weíd better find ways to win and continue to strike the chords that are necessary to improve while you do it. I don't have too much of a problem with some of these statements, but obviously folks were looking for more specifics. Like: "Our running defense is performing well, as we expected. We have had some plays and misses opportunities in pass coverage, especally in 3rd down situations. We expect great things from this group of guys and we are not quite there yet."

stlrz d
10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't give a flying fu*k what fans and reporters want from Tomlin.

He's obligated to answer questions...he's not obligated to answer them in a manner any other than how he sees fit.

Don't like it? Too bad.

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't give a flying Asian what fans and reporters want from Tomlin.

He's obligated to answer questions...he's not obligated to answer them in a manner any other than how he sees fit.

Don't like it? Too bad.

The PlanetSteeler mods/censors fixed that for you, and made it funnier in the process. :P

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/dconran/asians.jpg

stlrz d
10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I don't give a flying Asian what fans and reporters want from Tomlin.

Don't like it? Too bad.

The PlanetSteeler mods/censors fixed that for you, and made it funnier in the process. :P

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/dconran/asians.jpg

You're welcome for the assist on the tip in.

Flasteel
10-13-2009, 11:19 PM

Don't like it? Too bad.

Easy there D. Nobody's trying to vilify Tomlin. As a matter of fact he does the same thing that nearly every head coach in the league does...he just does it with all of that smoothness and color.

stlrz d
10-13-2009, 11:37 PM

Don't like it? Too bad.

Easy there D. Nobody's trying to vilify Tomlin. As a matter of fact he does the same thing that nearly every head coach in the league does...he just does it with all of that smoothness and color.

I'm plenty cool brother...no pounding on the keyboard or angry face while typing that. :D

http://www.eleganceredefined.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fonzie.jpg

sd steel
10-14-2009, 12:01 AM

Don't like it? Too bad.

Why does it have to be about color FLA?? :stirpot

proudpittsburgher
10-14-2009, 09:04 AM
[quote="stlrz d":2f1570kk]I don't give a flying fu*k what fans and reporters want from Tomlin.

Don't like it? Too bad.

I'm plenty cool brother...no pounding on the keyboard or angry face while typing that. :D

http://www.eleganceredefined.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fonzie.jpg[/quote:2f1570kk]

Sometimes it takes a little keyboard pounding, and for what it's worth, I agree with you.

Steelerphile
10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Lots of times when people quote someone like the original poster who quoted Tomlin did and then points out specific statements that he is enraged over, I sit there wondering "What is wrong with that answer?"

So it goes, trivial things that seem to upset other people seem like nothing to me. Tomlin has his own idiosyncratic phrasings and syntax, but I think he mostly answers the question. The poster is enraged that Tomlin said Smith got hurt playing football instead of his phrase about something in the course of the game etc. What's the difference.

NWNewell
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Lots of times when people quote someone like the original poster who quoted Tomlin did and then points out specific statements that he is enraged over, I sit there wondering "What is wrong with that answer?"

So it goes, trivial things that seem to upset other people seem like nothing to me. Tomlin has his own idiosyncratic phrasings and syntax, but I think he mostly answers the question. The poster is enraged that Tomlin said Smith got hurt playing football instead of his phrase about something in the course of the game etc. What's the difference.

lol... easy guys. I'm not saying I don't like Tomlin. In fact, I'm fully on his bandwagon. This is by no means how I judge a coaches performance. I care much more about the W-L than this. But it is just a quirk that strikes a cord.

The only reason I ever care to listen to his press conferences is to get a perspective that is a little more insightful that some of the duche bag analysis's and sports writers. It's a little disappointing and annoying when his press conference responses make Ed Duchette look like an intellectual genius.

I think he could be a little more insightful without showing up players or giving away the farm. Last year when the reporters were ripping the O-line, he was flat out saying that it was not all the O-line. That some of the sacks were because the QB was holding onto the ball too long. Some are because WR's are not on the same page and breaking off the hot routes. He was providing some coaching perspective and insight to the problem beyond what the dumbass reports could follow without map and flashlight.
I don't see him doing that much this year. He seems to blow off most questions.

But as I said at the end of my original post: Oh, well... as long as he puts up the "W". So far, I love his coaching attitude and approach the the game. I'm very pleased with the Rooney's choosing him as the Steeler's coach for a long time to come. Just not a fan of the way he handles the press conferences. No biggie......

Mister Pittsburgh
10-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Listening to a Mike Tomlin press conference is absolutely worthless. You find out ZERO information about the team that you couldn't derive yourself from just watching games and reading the paper. They should cancel it other than have him come out and say who is hurt than turn right around and walk away.

frankthetank1
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Listening to a Mike Tomlin press conference is absolutely worthless. You find out ZERO information about the team that you couldn't derive yourself from just watching games and reading the paper. They should cancel it other than have him come out and say who is hurt than turn right around and walk away.

most coaches press conference's are like that. thats why they are coaches they pretty much have to be pc and you cant talk about any important info. why show your hand to all the other teams in the league? i always enjoyed parcell's press conferences. they were pretty entertaining. is it just me or does anyone else hate the phrase "he is a guy on the come"? that just sounds real dirty to me and i dont know how tomlin says it with a straight face :lol:

Flasteel
10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Man. I love Tomlin and all, but as I was reading this, I couldn't help thinking that this guy is one of the all-time great tap dance artists. His "Tomlinisms" are smooth and colorful but I don't know if I've ever seen a guy say less with so many words. It's almost like he's trying to Jedi Mind-trick everyone.

Jeff Reed: "I canít believe I missed twice." Jedi Tomlin: "That is why you fail."

Jedi Tomlin: "Do not underestimate the powers of the Dark Si...err...New England Patriots."

Kevin Colbert: "Aaron Smith is our last hope." Jedi Tomlin: "No, there is another."

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yoda-pimping-easy-it-is-not.jpg
http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mike-tomlin.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2cibcc0.gif

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yoda-pimping-easy-it-is-not.jpg
http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mike-tomlin.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/23vi7t5.gif

Hmmm...perhaps they should have casted Omar Epps instead of Sam Jackson for that role. :lol:

sd steel
10-14-2009, 11:45 PM

Coaches and players are taught to lie or not disclose info to the media from day one, including in college. The media goes after guys who blow up or tell the truth, ie, TO, Chad Johnson, Jim Mora, Denny Green etc. Everyone is given training in coach speak because dealing with the media is a necessary evil.