PDA

View Full Version : Wallace's day up and down

fordfixer
10-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Steelers Notes: Wallace's day up and down

By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times

Sunday October 11, 2009 11:43 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -down.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/october/11/steelers-notes-wallaces-day-up-and-down.html)

DETROIT — Mike Wallace’s first visit for Ford Field was one he’ll never forget.

The Steelers’ rookie wide receiver experienced a gut-wrenching low and then an exhilarating high Sunday during the 28-20 win over the Lions.

In the second quarter, he dropped what would have been a 71-yard touchdown pass. But in the third quarter, he caught a 47-yard pass for his first score as a pro.

“After my touchdown, I told Ben (Roethlisberger) that I appreciated him coming back to me,” Wallace said. “He gave me a chance to redeem myself. That’s one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.”

What made Wallace’s drop even more frustrating was that he let a Roethlisberger bomb slip through his hands two plays later. Lions cornerback Williams James returned that interception 38 yards for a touchdown.

That sequence of plays allowed the underdog Lions to make it a game.

“I let myself down, and I let my team down,” Wallace said. “I was crushed. That’s what happens when you try running before you catch the ball. It was my fault.”

But Roethlisberger wouldn’t let Wallace wallow in pity. He approached the rookie on the sideline and said to be ready.

“I told him, just like I’ve told any receiver who comes through here, that after a drop, I don’t get upset,” Roethlisberger said. “I’m not going to get mad at you. I’m going to come right back at you, so be ready. That’s what I did, and he made a heck of a play.”

About the only thing Wallace did wrong on his first NFL touchdown was forgetting to keep the football.

“I was so excited that I forgot,” Wallace said with a smile. “But luckily, Santonio (Holmes) and Hines (Ward) got it for me.”

Wallace has now been on the receiving end of the Steelers’ two longest plays from scrimmage this season. His 51-yard reception in a Sept. 27 loss in Cincinnati is the longest.

CROWD PLEASING

Once again, the Steeler Nation caused quite a commotion at Ford Field.

Thousands of black-and-gold clad fans were in the stands for Sunday’s 28-20 win over the Lions, cheering wildly and waving their Terrible Towels.

When the Steelers last played at Ford Field, more than half the venue was filled by Steeler fans. That was for the 21-10 win over the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.

“It brought back a lot of memories,” said WR Hines Ward, who caught a touchdown pass in SB 40 and another Sunday.
Advertisement

“We’re used to it,” QB Ben Roethlisberger said. “These are our fans and they’re the best in the world.”

WIN IS A WIN

The Steelers hardly resembled a championship team. But all that mattered to them is that they came away with a win.

“Mission accomplished,” Tomlin said.

By doing so, the Steelers (3-2) won for the first time on the road this season and also won back-to-back games for the first time. The Steelers are now tied with the Ravens for second place in the AFC North, one game behind the division-leading Cincinnati (4-1).

“A win is a win. That’s what this business comes down to,” Ward said. “When teams are playing the Pittsburgh Steelers —we’re the defending champions — they’re going to give their best shot.”

Before beating the Lions, the Steelers were 0-2 on the road after blowing fourth-quarter leads at Cincinnati and Chicago.

FOOTE GRACIOUS IN DEFEAT

After the game, Lions LB Larry Foote entered the Steelers’ locker room to congratulate his former teammates. Foote spent the first seven years of his career in Pittsburgh.

“We still love Foote,” Ward said. “He’ll always be a Steeler.”

On Saturday night, Foote invited several Steelers to his home for dinner.

HURT LIONS

The Lions were playing without four starters due to injury — rookie QB Matthew Stafford among them — and then lost star WR Calvin Johnson in the first quarter with a leg injury.

Other starters who didn’t play for the Lions were OT Gosder Cherilus (shoulder), DT Sammie Hill (ankle) and DE Dewayne White (hamstring).

INACTIVES

The Steelers once again played without two injured starters: RB Willie Parker (turf toe) and SS Troy Polamalu (sprained knee).

Also on the game-day inactive list were WR Shaun McDonald, OT Tony Hills, OG Kraig Urbik, DE Nick Eason and CB Keenan Lewis.

Dennis Dixon was designated the third-team quarterback.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Does anyone else think that Wallace also made a bit of a rookie mistake on the int? To me it looked like he continued to drift back waiting for the ball to come to him instead of moving to it. Had he not kept drifting then he may have been able to break up he pick 6.

Not a huge problem, and certainly nothing he won't be able to learn, but I think a vet like Hines would have known on such a dangerous pass to move towards the ball.

And no, I am not a Ben apologist, and it was definitely an ill advised pass, I am commenting more on the experience that our rook should gain moving forward.

frankthetank1
10-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone else think that Wallace also made a bit of a rookie mistake on the int? To me it looked like he continued to drift back waiting for the ball to come to him instead of moving to it. Had he not kept drifting then he may have been able to break up he pick 6.

Not a huge problem, and certainly nothing he won't be able to learn, but I think a vet like Hines would have known on such a dangerous pass to move towards the ball.

And no, I am not a Ben apologist, and it was definitely an ill advised pass, I am commenting more on the experience that our rook should gain moving forward.

i thought the same thing at first but watching the replay wallace didnt have hardly any time to come back to the ball. kicking the ball after the drop was a big rookie mistake though and quite embarrasing

JTP53609
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM

i thought the same thing too, he did that on the interception in chicago too, i wish he would give up on the thought of catching it and play the role of corner, but he will get that in a few years.....

ikestops85
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm not sure what you were seeing. Wallace was running an 'out' route which makes it almost impossible for him to come back for the ball when he is running the opposite direction. It's not like he's running a stop route where he runs down the field and then sits. On those types of routes he could come back to the ball but not on this one.

The ball was thrown behind Wallace and the DB was looking to jump it ... which surprises me (and I guess it also surprised Ben) since Wallace can easily burn them deep. In fact he did on a couple of occasions. This was just a case of a bad read and throw by Ben ... one of the few he has made this year.