PDA

View Full Version : Limas supposedly on trading block ?!.....

SteelHead
10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok , so I was surfing some other Steelers mb's and came across this......

http://www.thesteelersforum.com/cgi-bin ... 1255385629 (http://www.thesteelersforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1255385629)

I googled "mike lombardi" and "limas sweed" to try and find the original article.....no luck so far. Only the same blurb posted on other various message boards.

As much as Limas is in the coaches and fans dog house , this is very surprising if true.....

pfelix73
10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
After viewing the post link---- what are we talking about again?

Oh, Sweed..... Whatever they want to do with him is OK with me....

Maybe we can get a bottle of Heinz Ketchup for him.

:tt1

SteelCrazy
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I checked all of Lombardi's column's and there is no mention of Sweed, however there is a sentence about Kevin Curtis whom the poster on the forum said it is rumored to be for.

goto #9 and read, that's about it.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Din ... oming.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Trades-are-coming.html)

Vindrow
10-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Sounds good to me....trade him to the Faiders for Bush and a couple of draft picks...everyone knows how much Al loves under achieving WR's..and you can usually gash him in trades.

Oviedo
10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Trading Sweed would be a foolish mistake therefore I would doubt the Steelers would do it.

In Rice's rookie season, he dropped fifteen passes, but this was due to the complicated 49ers offense, and soon, after he got over the learning curve, he started hanging onto the passes.

http://sports.jrank.org/pages/3844/Rice ... aking.html (http://sports.jrank.org/pages/3844/Rice-Jerry-Superstar-in-Making.html)

DukieBoy
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Premature, IMO. Give him a 3rd year here before giving up on him.
Many receivers take 3 or more years to develop in the league.

Passion of fans might drive such decisions. If some fans had their way, we'd have no Troy, no Santonio, no Timmons left here, among others.

Steelers can afford to wait a bit on Sweed.

Oviedo
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Passion of fans might drive such decisions. If some fans had their way, we'd have no Troy, no Santonio, no Timmons left here, among others.

:Agree

What fans think is meaningless because fans know nothing about NFL talent. Some believe otherwise by watching 60 minutes of football weekly.

SteelerNation1
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
He gets open...that isn't easy to do in the NFL. He drops passes. That can be corrected. Give him time folks.

SidSmythe
10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
He gets open...that isn't easy to do in the NFL. He drops passes. That can be corrected. Give him time folks.

SteelBucks
10-12-2009, 10:08 PM

msp26505
10-12-2009, 10:13 PM

Discipline of Steel
10-12-2009, 10:22 PM

We've stolen a page from Captain Lemmings playbook!

stlrz d
10-12-2009, 10:26 PM
:brownssuck

Whoops...wrong thread!

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I would have gotten in on that :Agree action, but we are only allowed to embed 5 quotes within each other, so I think we've reached our limit. :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
10-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I am still pulling for Limas. I think there is a lot of potential there.

flippy
10-13-2009, 05:06 AM

Once he stops thinking and starts playing, he's going to dominate.

JTP53609
10-13-2009, 07:42 AM
the kid will be fine, i dont know if he will a pro bowler every year but once he gets confidence and does good things than catches will come, last year he caught a big one after the famous drop in the baltimore game, he will be okay, i think he is putting so much pressure on himself that he is hurting himself now, once he gets the confidence up and makes a few KEY catches than the ball will be rolling, i am hoping he is the receiver version of troy, before we run him out lets see what he can do...how many passes has he dropped in his career, 4?, 5?....holmes dropped 3 in chicago...i know that is ridiculous to compare but just wait it out...

DukieBoy
10-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Once he stops thinking and starts playing, he's going to dominate.

steelblood
10-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Trading Sweed now is completely foolish. His value right now is at an all time low. We'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him. He is valuable to this team because if there is an injury or two, we'd need him.

proudpittsburgher
10-13-2009, 08:41 AM
So, just to play devil's advocate, how much rope do you give the guy? I will come out as saying I am patient with the guy, but I am ready to give up on him. Coming into this season, I was OK with giving him time. He is showing the same dropsie tendancies as he did his rookie season. So how long is enough with the guy. You woul dthink he would have corrected whatever problem needed correcting by now, yes?

Iron Shiek
10-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree :moon

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Here is the original article for anyone interested. I still don't agree with the idea of trading him as what will we get back? I would much rather keep him than have the fifth rounder that we would get in return.

15. Wide receivers Limas Sweed and Kevin Curtis will be available for trade this week. Do you think anyone takes one? I doubt it.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tav ... immer.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tavern-talk-A-win-for-Vikki-Zimmer.html)

NC Steeler Fan
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Well, I was wrong about Mendenhall and called out Holmes for his off-field problems when he first joined us...so I think I'll keep my prognostications to myself!

frankthetank1
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
So, just to play devil's advocate, how much rope do you give the guy? I will come out as saying I am patient with the guy, but I am ready to give up on him. Coming into this season, I was OK with giving him time. He is showing the same dropsie tendancies as he did his rookie season. So how long is enough with the guy. You woul dthink he would have corrected whatever problem needed correcting by now, yes?

thats a good point. i have pretty much given up on limas. it doesnt look good for him getting over his problem. when is enough enough though? i would say this season is it. if he cant improve his hands by the end of the season i would be surprised if remained a steeler. mcdonald will be active most games this season i would think. after this season why keep limas? who needs a #4 wr who cant catch? god forbid anyone gets hurt at wr this season then the steelers will have to play limas

NW Steeler
10-13-2009, 11:16 AM
:brownssuck

Whoops...wrong thread!

I agree! (Just to mix things up here)

:tt2

proudpittsburgher
10-13-2009, 11:35 AM

thats a good point. i have pretty much given up on limas. it doesnt look good for him getting over his problem. when is enough enough though? i would say this season is it. if he cant improve his hands by the end of the season i would be surprised if remained a steeler. mcdonald will be active most games this season i would think. after this season why keep limas? who needs a #4 wr who cant catch? god forbid anyone gets hurt at wr this season then the steelers will have to play limas

It makes it a lot easier to let Sweed go when Wallace has shown some of the same abilities Limas has, only he catches the ball. It's easier to give up on him when you really aren't losing anything.

frankthetank1
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM

It makes it a lot easier to let Sweed go when Wallace has shown some of the same abilities Limas has, only he catches the ball. It's easier to give up on him when you really aren't losing anything.

oh definetly. if wallace wasnt on the steelers it would be a different story. we actually have good depth at wr. wallace is the real deal and is everything i had hoped limas would be. along with wallace the steelers actually throwing the ball to heath makes it easier to let limas go as well.

Starlifter
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
what's the value of a receiver who can't catch? we have a lot of money invested. it's not time to pull the plug just yet.

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Here is the original article for anyone interested. I still don't agree with the idea of trading him as what will we get back? I would much rather keep him than have the fifth rounder that we would get in return.

15. Wide receivers Limas Sweed and Kevin Curtis will be available for trade this week. Do you think anyone takes one? I doubt it.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tav ... immer.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tavern-talk-A-win-for-Vikki-Zimmer.html)

It seems to me to be simply conjecture as opposed to some sort of scoop. The author seems to be looking at situations in which there is a guy with talent that is not getting playing time right now on his current team but may be able to flourish elsewhere with a change of scenery (Limas Sweed, Kevin Curtis, Derrick Johnson). It might make some sense for vets like Curtis and Johnson, but there is no reason for this team to give up on a young talent with promise like Sweed right now. The fact that we have established WR's like Ward and Holmes, plus a young productive talent like Wallace, and a vet back-up option in McDonald means that we can afford to bring Sweed along slowly (we don't need to depend on him at the present time because of our current depth at the position), and possibly reap the benefits of that patience down the road. There is no point in trading that away now.

Slapstick
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Didn't Wallace drop a TD pass on Sunday?

frankthetank1
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM

yea and he also caught a td pass on sunday. it was his first drop. how many drops has limas had?

Slapstick
10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
yea and he also caught a td pass on sunday.

Did he drop a TD pass before or after he caught a TD pass?

frankthetank1
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
yea and he also caught a td pass on sunday.

Did he drop a TD pass before or after he caught a TD pass?

he dropped it before the td pass, but how many td's has limas caught?

NWNewell
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM

While I do not think Sweed deserves any more playing time and throws than he is getting right now, I agree with you. We have a very good receiving core (Holmes, Ward, Wallace, & Miller). We have the luxury of being patient with Sweed.

The only question is, what kind of gamble is it? Do the coaches feel he's not showing much upside anymore and they want to try to maximize his value be for the rest of the league knows he's a bust too. Or do the coaches still have faith that he'll develop and think he's worth hanging onto.

The Steeler's have the luxury of choosing what is best for the long run since they are in good shape at WR today.

Ghost
10-13-2009, 12:55 PM

But it was a circus catch he dropped....

Slapstick
10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
he dropped it before the td pass

And yet they continued to throw to him...hmmm....

AngryAsian
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM

They do so because the kid has been clutch in other instances.... one that come to mind is the OT game against the Titans. If I'm not mistaken it was Wallace who caught a 30+ yard ball to set up the game winning field goal by Skippy. The kid has shown more than Sweed has thus far.

The thing with Sweed is that we don't use him for what his body was designed for. Once again a criticism of the play calling or play design. A big body with long arms like Sweed possesses is so advantageous in a fade route in the end zone say about 10-15 yards to the goal line. Why do we never have this in our arsenal of plays that capitalizes on his size advantage... have no idea, why not.

NWNewell
10-13-2009, 01:28 PM

They do so because the kid has been clutch in other instances.... one that come to mind is the OT game against the Titans. If I'm not mistaken it was Wallace who caught a 30+ yard ball to set up the game winning field goal by Skippy. The kid has shown more than Sweed has thus far.

The thing with Sweed is that we don't use him for what his body was designed for. Once again a criticism of the play calling or play design. A big body with long arms like Sweed possesses is so advantageous in a fade route in the end zone say about 10-15 yards to the goal line. Why do we never have this in our arsenal of plays that capitalizes on his size advantage... have no idea, why not.

Because he rarely holds onto the ball when he's wide opened. You really think you can count on him to out fit a DB for a jump ball. Sure, he'll get his hands on it, but I don't have faith that he'll come down with it. I'd much rather hunt for Ward or Miller.

But I totally agree with you I, and the Steelers, were hoping to bring in a big strong receiver that could out battle DB's for jump balls, fades, and one-on-one bombs (a la Fitzgerald). But he has done little to show that he can execute. Can't blame the coaches for not putting him in situations that call for difficult catches when he has not been able to reliably catch the easy ones.

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM

Because he rarely holds onto the ball when he's wide opened. You really think you can count on him to out fit a DB for a jump ball. Sure, he'll get his hands on it, but I don't have faith that he'll come down with it. I'd much rather hunt for Ward or Miller.

But I totally agree with you I, and the Steelers, were hoping to bring in a big strong receiver that could out battle DB's for jump balls, fades, and one-on-one bombs (a la Fitzgerald). But he has done little to show that he can execute. Can't blame the coaches for not putting him in situations that call for difficult catches when he has not been able to reliably catch the easy ones.

So far, though, Sweed seems to do a better job of holding onto the ball when he is being hit as opposed to when he is wide open and it lands right in his bread basket.

papillon
10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Sweed is not a head case nor a knucklehead from everything I've seen so far. There's no reason to give up on him right now. He may get limited opportunities and haverto compete for his spot on the roster next year, but, trading him, cutting him or ignoring him is a bad, bad idea. He's got the tools and needs to work on focusing catching the football. If he continues to drop them this year and can't catch during training camp next year then, fine, cut him, otherwise, the Steelers could be trading away a highly talented football player.

Knee jerk reactions, even a year and 5 games into his career is knee jerk, and is not a Steeler trait, thankfully.

Pappy

frankthetank1
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM

yea pretty stupid huh? well carey davis was also a steeler for two seasons and frank summers made the roster some how. some times tomlin and the steelers orginization do not make the right moves. just sometimes and this is one of those rare occasions. getting open on a regular basis means nothing if it results in a drop

ikestops85
10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I haven't been too impressed with what Sweed brings to the table but it is far, far too early to write the guy off. We have plenty of depth at WR so we have the time to see if he develops. He is a Steeler so I hope he turns into the next Chris Carter as far as catching the ball.

AngryAsian
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Pap is right, he's a head case. I figure less time in running a shorter route, closer distance to the QB and a one on one scenario against a smaller receiver that he can overpower, maybe he'd actually reel in a couple and gain some confidence. I haven't given up on him. I think he can do it. Maybe Tomlin can call in that guy from "The Natural" w/ Robert Redford.

"Dropping the ball, is a disease, as contagious as bubonic plague."

Slapstick
10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Sweed-catch-235x300.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0d3ibIZaFJ9Hq/261x.jpg

Clearly, he is a headcase who can't catch (which is exactly what Pap DID NOT say)...

He just needs to be thrown the ball...

How many drops has Holmes had this year? Remember when Hines fumbled inside the 5 vs. the Titans?

You have to believe in the guys on your team...you have to give them opportunities even when they mess up...

jj28west
10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Is there a statistic that keeps track of percentage of dropped passes vs number of times thrown with a minimum of 10 passes thrown at? I know Limas is probably at around 75% which is incredibly high but I would not be supprised if TO and Braylon are at around 30%-40%.

Anyways, count me in as a believer in that he will turn it around.

Slapstick
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Is there a statistic that keeps track of percentage of dropped passes vs number of times thrown with a minimum of 10 passes thrown at? I know Limas is probably at around 75% which is incredibly high but I would not be supprised if TO and Braylon are at around 30%-40%.

As far as drops go, you are, unfortunately, buying into the message board overreaction hype...

Limas has something like three drops, officially, in meaningful games...some players do that in one game....

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2009, 09:57 PM

As far as drops go, you are, unfortunately, buying into the message board overreaction hype...

Limas has something like three drops, officially, in meaningful games...some players do that in one game....

Santonio had 3 drops in one game this year. Then, in the next game, he ran the wrong route, which resulted in an interception returned for a TD. In this last game, he ran another wrong route, but luckily, the pass was merely incomplete this time. Cut him!

Hines has 2 drops in one game this year. In another game, he was careless enough to fumble the ball inside his own red zone, giving the other team renewed life when then the game essentially would have been over had he just fallen to the ground. Burn him at the stake!

Sweed caught a TD pass that popped out of his grasp when his elbow hit the ground, so the referee ruled it incomplete. But, it's not like his mistake resulted in a pick 6 for the other team or a late-game fumble that gave the opposing team new life or anything Earth-shattering like that, because he would have been crucified if he were responsible for either of those two things. We still had a chance for a field goal after Sweed's drop. But since we did not score any points following that drop because Reed missed that kick in a very close game, Sweed will always suck and must forever be banished. On the other hand, Hines and Santonio will continue to rule and can do no wrong ever.

The difference is that Hines and Santonio built up equity in your emotional bank (or whatever cute phrase that Tomlin used to describe it), while Sweed has not yet had the opportunity to show what he is truly capable of. But the fact remains that Sweed's mistake is blown out of proportion while Holmes and Ward's are virtually overlooked, even though Hines and Santonio's errors were more grevious in the grand scheme of things. And how was Sweed dropped sure TD pass several games ago any worse than Wallace's dropped sure TD pass was in this past game? Answer: It isn't. Dude has had one bad play this season (last season was put to rest with the ring ceremony). Get over it already. It's an irrational, emotional overreaction. I believe Sweed will be just fine.

sd steel
10-14-2009, 12:36 AM

Santonio had 3 drops in one game this year. Then, in the next game, he ran the wrong route, which resulted in an interception returned for a TD. In this last game, he ran another wrong route, but luckily, the pass was merely incomplete this time. Cut him!

Hines has 2 drops in one game this year. In another game, he was careless enough to fumble the ball inside his own red zone, giving the other team renewed life when then the game essentially would have been over had he just fallen to the ground. Burn him at the stake!

Sweed caught a TD pass that popped out of his grasp when his elbow hit the ground, so the referee ruled it incomplete. But, it's not like his mistake resulted in a pick 6 for the other team or a late-game fumble that gave the opposing team new life or anything Earth-shattering like that, because he would have been crucified if he were responsible for either of those two things. We still had a chance for a field goal after Sweed's drop. But since we did not score any points following that drop because Reed missed that kick in a very close game, Sweed will always suck and must forever be banished. On the other hand, Hines and Santonio will continue to rule and can do no wrong ever.

The difference is that Hines and Santonio built up equity in your emotional bank (or whatever cute phrase that Tomlin used to describe it), while Sweed has not yet had the opportunity to show what he is truly capable of. But the fact remains that Sweed's mistake is blown out of proportion while Holmes and Ward's are virtually overlooked, even though Hines and Santonio's errors were more grevious in the grand scheme of things. And how was Sweed dropped sure TD pass several games ago any worse than Wallace's dropped sure TD pass was in this past game? Answer: It isn't. Dude has had one bad play this season (last season was put to rest with the ring ceremony). Get over it already. It's an irrational, emotional overreaction. I believe Sweed will be just fine.

Good post, if anything, by the media and the fans blowing it out of proportion, it could hurt him mentally, which would damage his career. He just needs to get some catches under his belt.

ANPSTEEL
10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I know I'm late to this argument but consider the following.

Sweed clearly has issues with concentration. The very fact that he manages to make tough catches, and drop the easier ones is indication enough.

I think this is, in part, a reflection of his continued lack of understanding of the offense. He is still thinking too much, and not "just playing."

To make the difficult catch you have to have complete focus on the ball- and only the ball. The easy catches - they can become trickier, in that you start thinking about
a. making the catch
b. what are you going to do after the catch

Is this something that he can be coached through? Almost certainly.
He needs to learn to focus on the ball- and only the ball- follow the ball into your hands.

Only once he's gotten to the point he can do that consistently should he begin to think about making plays beyond.

It's not too late for him to turn it around as an NFL receiver, but it may be too late for him to do it with the Steelers.

Baring injury- he is not going to see the field much this season- and that will be his undoing. He might be able to get a better grasp of the offense, but he is not going to develop the required concentration or confidence in practice.

In respect to Holmes- I think you have two issues.
1. in the first game it was reported that he injured his hand/wrist early in the game. I think this played a factor in the drops he had against Tenn. - And possibly next week against the Bears.
2. Santonio clearly wants to be the man- and a "superstar" - he is trying to make a big play every time the ball comes to him- and as result he is taking his eyes off the ball before he has control. (see Sweed)

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
It's not too late for him to turn it around as an NFL receiver, but it may be too late for him to do it with the Steelers.

Why would it be too late for him to do it with the Steelers? We are only 5 games into his second season. How good was Troy Polamalu 5 games into his second season? The Steelers are not a reactionary team that would trade or cut a guy with promise because of a few mistakes. Just be patient with him, and you may reap the rewards in the future.

SteelBucks
10-14-2009, 10:23 AM

Why would it be too late for him to do it with the Steelers? We are only 5 games into his second season. How good was Troy Polamalu 5 games into his second season? The Steelers are not a reactionary team that would trade or cut a guy with promise because of a few mistakes. Just be patient with him, and you may reap the rewards in the future.

Bustamalu

grotonsteel
10-14-2009, 10:26 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :Clap

Oviedo
10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Once again...

In Rice's rookie season, he dropped fifteen passes, but this was due to the complicated 49ers offense, and soon, after he got over the learning curve, he started hanging onto the passes.

WRs take time and we have roster to give Sweed that time. He will be fine.

phillyesq
10-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Once again...

WRs take time and we have roster to give Sweed that time. He will be fine.

It seems that big WRs especially seem to need more time. Plaxico was awful in his first year.

There is no need to get rid of Sweed. He offers more upside than anybody you can grab off the street, and there is no downside to keeping him on the roster. McDonald can be activated at any time if the Steelers want to immediately plug in a more reliable option.

ikestops85
10-14-2009, 10:56 AM

According to the Washington Post Sweed has been targeted 3 times this year with 1 drop and 1 catch. Since drops are not an official NFL stat it hard to find information on them. While I understand your loyalty to a Steeler player it doesn't mean you can't see problems with his game. You also have to look at his entire body of work ... not just what he has done this season. You have to keep in mind his drops from last year and in both the pre-seasons. The guy drops a high percentage of passes thrown to him -- period. There are no ands, ifs or buts about it. It's time to stop making excuses and realize the guy has to put up or shut up. He no longer can ride on his draft status.

Holmes is also starting to follow that track and it is disconcerting. He dropped passes and ran wrong routes for most of last year also. This year he has been targeted 41 times with 5 drops and 23 receiptions. Having a drop rate in double digit figures is unacceptable. However, he does have a body of work that shows he CAN perform at a high level unlike Sweed.

Hines has dropped a couple of passes this year and had that big fumble. Still, you have to look at his entire body of work and realize this is more of an anomoly as opposed to a trend. Do veterans get more leniency when they make mistakes? Hell yes ... and they should. The younger players don't get those breaks -- just ask Mendy when he didn't learn the "details".

Sweed Stats (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8830&team=23)
Holmes Stats (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7774&team=23)
Wards Stats (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=4323&team=23)

aggiebones
10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
From the body language of Hines and some comments he's made, I'm not sure that he is professionally invested. He is biggish and fast for his size. He has NEVER been a good hands WR, including back at tu. He was wide open then due to fear of Vince Young running wild on teams. He catches alot with his shoulders, stomach anything but hands. Always has. He is not going to transform into a guy that uses his hands in the next year or so. His routes are also sketchy.
And finally he may not have the mental makeup to get past all these things. That's the bigger thing. He may be a 5-6 year project and everyone knows that ain't happening.
How many years are left on his contract? Have we given him a majority of his money already?

If there is a trade out there for a good young DL that the Steelers coveted in the draft would we consider it? Maybe. I doubt we trade for lower picks.

He fell like a stone on draft day. We took him cause his value seemed really good when he fell to us in the second, but maybe alot of teams knew these issues existed. Tomlin always says that if a guy doesn't perform at the level where he was drafted its not the kids fault. I agree, Sweed maybe wasn't a legit 2nd rounder, but he's getting paid like one.

phillyesq
10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
If there is a trade out there for a good young DL that the Steelers coveted in the draft would we consider it? Maybe. I doubt we trade for lower picks.

If there is a good young DL with similar pedigree and upside to Sweed, than a deal could make sense.

It seems like most of the sentiment is that Sweed should be dumped for nothing or practically nothing, and I think that would be a big mistake.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM

If there is a good young DL with similar pedigree and upside to Sweed, than a deal could make sense.

It seems like most of the sentiment is that Sweed should be dumped for nothing or practically nothing, and I think that would be a big mistake.

The Bears drafted Jarron Gilbert with the 68th overall pick (3rd round) in the 2009 draft.

The Steelers drafted Limas Sweed with the 58th overall pick (2nd round) in the 2008 draft.

Gilbert was inactive for the first three games of the season, and although he dressed in game 4, he did not generate any statistics. He only had 5 tackles (3 solo) in 4 preseason games).

I was a big Gilbert supporter prior to the draft, so I would trade Sweed for him. Cutler would probably like more toys to throw to.

drprwnap
10-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Clearly, he is a headcase who can't catch (which is exactly what Pap DID NOT say)...

How many drops has Holmes had this year? Remember when Hines fumbled inside the 5 vs. the Titans?

You have to believe in the guys on your team...you have to give them opportunities even when they mess up...

Come on, man. Holmes and Hines have PROVEN to be dependable receivers. Sweed has NOT.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Come on, man. Holmes and Hines have PROVEN to be dependable receivers. Sweed has NOT.

No one is saying that Sweed should be a starter, like Ward and Holmes are. But I think it is worthwhile to keep him active as the 4th WR on gamedays because he has more potential than McDonald (and Sweed contributes on special teams to boot).

drprwnap
10-14-2009, 12:54 PM

No one is saying that Sweed should be a starter, like Ward and Holmes are. But I think it is worthwhile to keep him active as the 4th WR on gamedays because he has more potential than McDonald (and Sweed contributes on special teams to boot).

Ok, I can agree with that. What I don't agree with is bringing up Ward's and Holmes' mistakes this year. They are PROVEN guys. Everyone fumbles once in a while (Ward). Everyone had a bad game or two (Holmes). Those two guys have PROVEN that they will not make those mistakes on a regular basis. That gives them a mulligan in my mind. You have to EARN that by being consistenly good over a period of time. Sweed has not earned anything. So don't bring Hines and Holmes into this debate. :nono

Jooser
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I say trade him for TO! :D

JTP53609
10-14-2009, 01:13 PM
he wont be traded this year ...... so lets end this debate.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Ok, I can agree with that. What I don't agree with is bringing up Ward's and Holmes' mistakes this year. They are PROVEN guys. Everyone fumbles once in a while (Ward). Everyone had a bad game or two (Holmes). Those two guys have PROVEN that they will not make those mistakes on a regular basis. That gives them a mulligan in my mind. You have to EARN that by being consistenly good over a period of time. Sweed has not earned anything. So don't bring Hines and Holmes into this debate. :nono

The reason that Hines and Holmes were brought up was to show that even the best of them drop the ball. Hines and Holmes both have dropped more passes than Sweed and each of them have a more egregious error (Hines' fumble and Tone's wrong route leading to the pick 6). Sweed has the same number of dropped sure TD's as Wallace this season (one each). I'm not here to praise Sweed, because he still needs to prove himself like Ward, Holmes, and even Wallace has so far. But I'm not here to crucify him over a simple drop either, because all WR's have drops (the Jerry Rice 15 drops in his first year that someone mentioned is the perfect example). Dude just has to stop thinking and start just playing.