PDA

View Full Version : These are NOT your father's Steelers

drprwnap
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Wow. I'm still kinda dazed today. I don't want to bitch about yesterday. It was a win and I'll gladly take it! But before this season, how many of us in here thought we would be dreading seeing the defense on the field in the 4th qtr with a lead ???? How many of us thought our offense would be strong unit (so far) of this team???? Yes, I was encouraged with the defense yesterday. But, that was the Detroit Lions. I still wonder.... how are we going to do against a REALLY GOOD OFFENSE???
Yes, my friends, this is NOT you father's Pittsburgh Steelers. High scoring, pass first, run secont offense. Defense, well the jury's still out..........

frankthetank1
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
i agree its a complete 180 from last season. the 4th qtr defense is absolutely pathetic. i didnt think it has been due to age but im starting to wonder now. every game this year the defense stinks in the 4th qtr. the offense is so much better than last season but it doesnt matter. it seems like every game they have to score a ton of points and hope not to blow the lead in the 2nd half

SteelBucks
10-12-2009, 10:45 AM
i agree its a complete 180 from last season. the 4th qtr defense is absolutely pathetic. i didnt think it has been due to age but im starting to wonder now. every game this year the defense stinks in the 4th qtr. the offense is so much better than last season but it doesnt matter. it seems like every game they have to score a ton of points and hope not to blow the lead in the 2nd half

The pass defense is terrible. If I was game planning against the Steelers right now, I wouldn't even try to run the ball. Give me 5 wideouts and I guarantee most of them would be open. Yes, I might get my QB killed but the pass is the way to attack this D.

RussBII
10-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I know, I know, everyone's sick of hearing "But Troy isn't there..."

I'm just saying I'm going to reserve judgment until we get the best defensive player in the league back...

frankthetank1
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM

The pass defense is terrible. If I was game planning against the Steelers right now, I wouldn't even try to run the ball. Give me 5 wideouts and I guarantee most of them would be open. Yes, I might get my QB killed but the pass is the way to attack this D.

yea the pass d is the weak link. if they cant get to the qb then it's a big play for the offense most of the time. especially the middle of the field. at least when troy is back it will take that away a little bit, but they will need more than troy coming back to fix the pass d

BradshawsHairdresser
10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Troy will help, of course, but the biggest problems with this defense so far?

1) LeBeau's playcalling
2) Performance decline in several key players (due to age or lack of hunger)

I hate to keep saying it, but I think there's still some effects of "Super Bowl Hangover," especially with our D.

msp26505
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I know, I know, everyone's sick of hearing "But Troy isn't there..."

I'm just saying I'm going to reserve judgment until we get the best defensive player in the league back...

It's more than just Troy not being there. There are multiple DB's playing out of position due to the rash of injuries (most, other than Troy, minor) to the defensive backfield, and NONE of them have the closing speed or general ability Troy does.

There is ZERO stability in the secondary right now and it shows. It's no different than the problems we saw with the transition from the previous offensive line to this one. And while the current offensive line is nowhere near the top of the league, they are miles ahead of where they were just last year.

Once these injuries heal I suspect the defense will return to something closer to what we are used to.

snarky
10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm not all that freaked out about it. It's early in the season and as stated we have some key injuries on the defensive side of the ball. In a way, the fact that the offense is winning games for us is encouraging. If the D tightens up we will be a force.

I'm not sure how many people here were alive and watching football in the seventies but my memory is that in the late seventies the defense was in decline a little bit. It was still very good but not the utterly dominant defense of the mid-seventies. And so my memory is that some games were won by the offense and some by the defense (and some poundings were won by both). I know the identity of the Steelers of the 70s was primarily that of a dominant D but that's not my memory of it for the last two SBs.

So perhaps having to win with the offense isn't such a bad thing. I'd love to see us rolling teams up with dominant performances on both sides of the ball and I feel like last yaer one of the reasons the offense wasn't ranked higher is that the d was so good we played conservatively on the offensive side. But when you look at our O, we have a franchise QB, a blossoming running back, a very efficient third down back, a line that might finally be coming together, a very good TE and three good receivers that between the three of them serve well as possession, speed and playmaking receivers.

So let's see what happens with the D. I'm sure the coaching staff isn't happy with the way it is going either so they will attempt to make some changes. We have talent there too and it just needs to come together.

Jooser
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Not my father's Steelers? Hell, it isn't even my Steelers from seasons past!

drprwnap
10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm not all that freaked out about it. It's early in the season and as stated we have some key injuries on the defensive side of the ball. In a way, the fact that the offense is winning games for us is encouraging. If the D tightens up we will be a force.

I'm not sure how many people here were alive and watching football in the seventies but my memory is that in the late seventies the defense was in decline a little bit. It was still very good but not the utterly dominant defense of the mid-seventies. And so my memory is that some games were won by the offense and some by the defense (and some poundings were won by both). I know the identity of the Steelers of the 70s was primarily that of a dominant D but that's not my memory of it for the last two SBs.

So perhaps having to win with the offense isn't such a bad thing. I'd love to see us rolling teams up with dominant performances on both sides of the ball and I feel like last yaer one of the reasons the offense wasn't ranked higher is that the d was so good we played conservatively on the offensive side. But when you look at our O, we have a franchise QB, a blossoming running back, a very efficient third down back, a line that might finally be coming together, a very good TE and three good receivers that between the three of them serve well as possession, speed and playmaking receivers.

So let's see what happens with the D. I'm sure the coaching staff isn't happy with the way it is going either so they will attempt to make some changes. We have talent there too and it just needs to come together.

I'm one of those guys who were not only alive and watching football during the seventies, but I also REMEMBER IT! :shock: Yes, you are correct about the decline of the defense late in the decade. But even in their decline, they were able to stop teams like the Detroit Lions from scoring in the 4th qtr.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
it still is my fathers steelers, because we play to the level of our opponent, we better bring it next week and blow the browns out...but yea your right that the defense is making us cringe when they get on the field....

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
If the defense outright sucked for the entire game, then I would be worried. But the fact is that they are still a top 5 overall defense in the entire league (top 3 against the run and still in the top half of the league against the pass...#14 without the best safety in football). The issue primarily has to do with playcalling late in games and the players seeming to relax somewhat when we have a substantial lead.

Our defense is still rock solid through 3 quarters of each game. They just have to learn how to step on a team's throat when they are down again. When teams have to pass in order to come back, we are giving them soft zones to throw against instead of unleashing the hounds. At least the defense started attacking again yesterday with some successful corner blitzes on the Lions final drive. That's a good sign moving forward.

SidSmythe
10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
3 THINGS STAND OUT TO ME:

- Troy is injured and his replacement absolutely sucks
- Woodley is getting nowhere near the QB consistently. Not even getting pressure.
- Timmons is a great athlete but often out of position vs. both run and pass. He's a playmaker but he also can be a liability. Although he's improving slowly but surely, so i'm not writing him off yet.

Oviedo
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM

- Woodley is getting nowhere near the QB consistently. Not even getting pressure.
- Timmons is a great athlete but often out of position vs. both run and pass. He's a playmaker but he also can be a liability. Although he's improving slowly but surely, so i'm not writing him off yet.

Disagree about Timmons. I think he has a dded a dimension to both the inside rush and the ability to cover in space that we never had.

Biggest drop off thus far an defense is Woodley. He is offering no help to Harrison and is being shut down by a single blocker. He needs to develop and use something more than a bull rush. I'd like to see Hood play in Smith's spot situationally and get turned loose to rush the passer and at least make the OL think about who they need to go after--Woodley or Hood.

Maybe what we are seeing with Woodley is limitations to him playing OLB given that he is a natural 4-3 DE and would excel in that role :stirpot

SidSmythe
10-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Disagree about Timmons. I think he has a dded a dimension to both the inside rush and the ability to cover in space that we never had.

Biggest drop off thus far an defense is Woodley. He is offering no help to Harrison and is being shut down by a single blocker. He needs to develop and use something more than a bull rush. I'd like to see Hood play in Smith's spot situationally and get turned loose to rush the passer and at least make the OL think about who they need to go after--Woodley or Hood.

Maybe what we are seeing with Woodley is limitations to him playing OLB given that he is a natural 4-3 DE and would excel in that role :stirpot

You had me until this whole 4-3 thing!! :moon

Chadman
10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
What year was it that Brady & the Pats passed the ball against the Steelers from kick-off....Chadman thinks they ran it 5 times or something that day....all the Pats did was pick the Steelers apart with short passing- not allowing the OLB's enough time to get to the QB, and taking advantage of the cushion the CB's give.

That's what we are seeing now. It's all part of having such a dominant defense last season- OC's around the league have been trying to find a way to nullify the Steelers defense....and it seems they have found the weak point in the scheme.

It's not the OLB's that need to step up- it's the CB's. Yes, they don't get beat deep, but they give up too many 4 & 5 yard gains. It only takes 2 5 yard passes to get the next down.

Having Troy back will help some, but don't hang your hat on it.