PDA

View Full Version : Could it be...Bengles best D in AFCN

steeler_george
10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
After 5 games and in sole place of the AFCN, could it be that the Bengles D is the best (at this point of the season) in the AFCN. Besides, Palmer's lucky come backs, their D has improved dramatically from last year, and is the reason why they are in 1st in the divison.

I believe, at this point, our D is still one of the best in the league, but just lost that kill instinct that they had in previous years. Pol return should help us dramtically, but time will tell. Is it the play calls or just bad execution.

As for the Ravens, their D slipped more than ours this year. Teams are scoring "at will on them" +25 points in some games, very unlike them.

BATMAN
10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
What ever is going on with this defense of ours, I'm glad it is at the start of the seasons to get the bugs out. Personally, I think the defensive players that were or on the cusp of being maybe too old, are now actually too old.

SS Laser
10-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't buy the old thing. I think this defense is centered around troy. I think a bunch of defensive plays are not being called because of no troy. It is so bad they have the defense set up this way.

If they are to old and lost a step it should get worse as we get closer to the playoffs even with troy. :2c

grotonsteel
10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
After 5 games and in sole place of the AFCN, could it be that the Bengles D is the best (at this point of the season) in the AFCN. Besides, Palmer's lucky come backs, their D has improved dramatically from last year, and is the reason why they are in 1st in the divison.

I believe, at this point, our D is still one of the best in the league, but just lost that kill instinct that they had in previous years. Pol return should help us dramtically, but time will tell. Is it the play calls or just bad execution.

As for the Ravens, their D slipped more than ours this year. Teams are scoring "at will on them" +25 points in some games, very unlike them.

Bungles D was good last season too. QB play screwed Bungles last season.

Bungles D is the best D in AFCN atleast in first 5 games.Zimmer is doin a great job there.

Lets see how Steelers D respond once Troy comes back in. I think Steelers should be back to Top-5 D in the league once Troy comes back.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
once troy comes back (sorry i dont like using him as an excuse) our defense will be at thier level and beyond.....we looked to be able to shred them up but then we let up..they are good though...

fezziwig
10-12-2009, 08:40 AM
once troy comes back (sorry i dont like using him as an excuse) our defense will be at thier level and beyond.....we looked to be able to shred them up but then we let up..they are good though...

To me, the Lions play hard, go through all the motions, make a game ofit but, just can't win. That will change some day.

I'm glad you said that Troy should not be used as an excuse. We had the number one defense last season and to the point, some like myself were asking, " could they be better or as good as the 70's defenses. ? "

I can see a drop off or whatever with out Troy but, I didn't think they would be so out of character without him.

If Woodley could step up, it would help the secondary much more. Ratcliff, Deshea and Clark haven't been or had their acts together in my opinion .

Jooser
10-12-2009, 09:08 AM
It's a looooooooooong season. It's a marathon, not a sprint. They're going to have their share of injuries and adversity. Those are things that champions adapt to. Can they? We will see.

SteelBucks
10-12-2009, 09:18 AM

I was using Troy and soft coverage as an excuse, but no longer. This is the same defensive scheme that dominated the league last year and it's time for the players to "man up" and start making plays. I'm a little encouraged that we're starting to see life from the linebackers.....although the search party is still out looking for Woodley.

Steeler Mafia
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
It's a looooooooooong season. It's a marathon, not a sprint. They're going to have their share of injuries and adversity. Those are things that champions adapt to. Can they? We will see.

:Agree

Let's see how the Bungals hold up as the season progresses. They have been getting pretty lucky here lately with some late scores in the 4th quarter. They still have to play the Bears, then play the Ravens and us again in back to back weeks. Later come the Vikings. Some of that shine will start to dull out as the weeks move on.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
all i know was i thought it was "cute" when they went into lambeau and beat the pack, than when the beat us i was like damnit, but they will crumble, they won a game they should of won in cleveland and i did not expect that yesteraday....

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
however, if the bengals do indeed win the division (thats like saying a baseaball team leading the division in june will win the division) than i will take our odds because the last time they won the division in 2005......

JAR
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
They're lucky, just like they were in 05 and we all know how that ended. They played inspired football yesterday because of Zimmer's wife.

flippy
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Cincy won their SuperBowls in back to back weeks. Now it's time to come back to earth.

Jom112
10-12-2009, 07:04 PM
It's not luck when you can run the ball effectively.

Guess who has rushed for the most yards against Denver, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore's Defenses this season? Cedric Benson.

The other key is that we know how to take away a teams top receiver.

Brandon Marshall: 4 receptions, 27 yards
Greg Jennings: 0 receptions
Santonio Holmes: 1 reception, 18 yards
Braylon Edwards: 0 receptions
Derek Mason: 0 receptions

Zimmer has definitely changed this defense around. I'll say we're the 2nd best defense in the AFCN at the moment. Steelers, Bengals, Ravens and then Browns...

BURGH86STEEL
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
They're lucky, just like they were in 05 and we all know how that ended. They played inspired football yesterday because of Zimmer's wife.

I guess they were unlucky against Denver. Have to give the Bengals credit. They made plays when they needed to make them up to this point. Palmer helped to lead them on game winning drives against the Steelers and Ravens. Sounds similar to what Ben and our offense did last season.

Time will tell if they will be a playoff caliber team. If their schedule is a contributing factor, I say they have as good a chance as any team to make the playoffs. The Bengals remaining schedule was the only reason why I wanted the Ravens to win Sunday.

Scarletfire1970
10-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Bungles D was good last season too. QB play screwed Bungles last season.

Bungles D is the best D in AFCN atleast in first 5 games.Zimmer is doin a great job there.

Lets see how Steelers D respond once Troy comes back in. I think Steelers should be back to Top-5 D in the league once Troy comes back.Steelers are top 5 statistically. Really. They are.

Discipline of Steel
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
ESPN annointed them the best this evening intheir MNF pregame. I think they are bandwagoning a little, every team deserves a little love. It is encouraging for JOM but I agree that a larger body of work will normalize the stats. I doubt they end up top 3 but they should be in the top half by the end of the season, exactly where who can say?