PDA

View Full Version : did it look as pathetic on tv as

True Fan
10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

JAR
10-11-2009, 08:12 PM
No. 7 off of a pick six, 7 off of a BS PI call and it was Culpepper starting, not the rook.

Discipline of Steel
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

Only to the eyes of a member of the Chicken Little Society

stlrz d
10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
It looked like we miss Troy. That's how it looked...just as it has looked since he left the Titans game.

LasVegasGuy
10-11-2009, 08:32 PM

This is the Tomlin/Arians way. Get the lead, go to the prevent offense, then wait for the defense to slip up a little and try to win or hang on until the end.
I'll take the win but it would be nice if we actually thumped the lesser teams rather then let them hang around.

True Fan
10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
[quote="True Fan":1b18ma3i]it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

Only to the eyes of a member of the Chicken Little Society[/quote:1b18ma3i]

wow, thank god i'll never know what its like to be a 'real' fan if you're happy with that effort.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Pretty curious offensive play. Pull Mendenhall for a large stretch of the game like you have it wrapped up and don't want to over use him. Looking for the big play instead of continuing to hit Heath and the WR on underneath stuff all day. Very strange. We got to Culpepper when we rushed more than we dropped.

I will take the W but it was a sloppy day.

NorthCoast
10-11-2009, 08:58 PM
It was one of those games where no one really had much giddee-up...I mean, how do you get up for the Lions?

But truthfully, our secondary has people rotating and filling in and it shows. We are leaving people open when we used to rely on Troy's sixth sense. I hope the D can learn to play without their marquee player because I am not convinced he will play even next week. Fortunately, the Stains are more pathetic than the Lions on offense. It took them 59:56 to beat the Buffs 6-3.

JAR
10-11-2009, 09:00 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2gu6cqvo][quote="True Fan":2gu6cqvo]it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

Only to the eyes of a member of the Chicken Little Society[/quote:2gu6cqvo]

wow, thank god i'll never know what its like to be a 'real' fan if you're happy with that effort.[/quote:2gu6cqvo]

Last year they beat Cleveland by only 4, maybe they should give the Lombardi back.

eniparadoxgma
10-11-2009, 09:06 PM

This is the Tomlin/Arians way. Get the lead, go to the prevent offense, then wait for the defense to slip up a little and try to win or hang on until the end.
I'll take the win but it would be nice if we actually thumped the lesser teams rather then let them hang around.

I concur with the bolded. These games have been too close.

I know we miss Troy, but I thought we were better than this. I hope our D does a turn around with him back, but I don't think it should look this bad without him.

Loved the way the D ended the game though. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

True Fan
10-11-2009, 09:29 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2l7jq4iz][quote="True Fan":2l7jq4iz]it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

wow, thank god i'll never know what its like to be a 'real' fan if you're happy with that effort.[/quote:2l7jq4iz]

Last year they beat Cleveland by only 4, maybe they should give the Lombardi back.[/quote:2l7jq4iz]

ok now i have to remember you ar a fan that only cares about how last years turned out. so next year you realized what happen last year and then use that sound football knowledge of how the following year will go. ahhh, i'm getting amuch better idea of what types of unknowelgable fans call the 'diehard'. so a n abassiong win from th shiets team in the league has you believing that thaty performce will win us a superbowl.................that sounds like a 'real' fan

proudpittsburgher
10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
[quote="True Fan":3aytjl9s][quote="Discipline of Steel":3aytjl9s][quote="True Fan":3aytjl9s]it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

wow, thank god i'll never know what its like to be a 'real' fan if you're happy with that effort.[/quote:3aytjl9s]

Last year they beat Cleveland by only 4, maybe they should give the Lombardi back.[/quote:3aytjl9s]

ok now i have to remember you ar a fan that only cares about how last years turned out. so next year you realized what happen last year and then use that sound football knowledge of how the following year will go. ahhh, i'm getting amuch better idea of what types of unknowelgable fans call the 'diehard'. so a n abassiong win from th shiets team in the league has you believing that thaty performce will win us a superbowl.................that sounds like a 'real' fan[/quote:3aytjl9s]

For the record, I am so glad that my tickets weren't close to yours.

feelthesteel
10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Well i hope the d gets better as the season progresses
no team is a shoe in so far -NFC-MINNY /NYG
AFC-COLTS DENVER look toughest although theres more and more parody
each season -any given sunday.

i just hope the STEELERS start to rally when Troy returns
and Mendy gets on the roll.

Wallace is the real deal as far as rooks
wheres ZIGGY he should get some reps.

JAR
10-11-2009, 10:02 PM
[quote="True Fan":pcpdoljl][quote="Discipline of Steel":pcpdoljl][quote="True Fan":pcpdoljl]it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

wow, thank god i'll never know what its like to be a 'real' fan if you're happy with that effort.[/quote:pcpdoljl]

Last year they beat Cleveland by only 4, maybe they should give the Lombardi back.[/quote:pcpdoljl]

ok now i have to remember you ar a fan that only cares about how last years turned out. so next year you realized what happen last year and then use that sound football knowledge of how the following year will go. ahhh, i'm getting amuch better idea of what types of unknowelgable fans call the 'diehard'. so a n abassiong win from th shiets team in the league has you believing that thaty performce will win us a superbowl.................that sounds like a 'real' fan[/quote:pcpdoljl]

No, I don't expect the Steelers to win 35-0 each week. The other team is paid to play too.

Iron Shiek
10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
No, I don't expect the Steelers to win 35-0 each week. The other team is paid to play too.

I feel you JAR, but you gotta admit its been a re-occurring theme these last couple weeks (well the whole season really). We get this lead and just expect the other team to keep playing the way they have the first three quarters. Finish the freakin game for once and pound them into submission.

sd steel
10-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

Some of you guys always need something to complain about.

SS Laser
10-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Wallace is the real deal as far as rooks
wheres ZIGGY he should get some reps.[/quote]

Wallace did drop a big one. And Ziggy had quite a few snaps today.

eniparadoxgma
10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but it was most definitely in doubt all the way until that hail mary in the 4th. If you don't think so, I'm curious as to why you think that after driving the ball 80+ yards on us and scoring in the 4th that it was not in doubt when they had the ball and were marching down the field again on us with us up just one score.

Have you watched the previous few games we've played? Did you not see the obvious similarities? Did you not see our secondary getting picked apart by Culpepper? I'm not worried about what problems we had that might have made it a blowout. I'm worried about our D scaring the hell out of me yet again in the 4th quarter.

The only difference is that our D finally clamped down on that last drive. That's it.

I'm happy for the win. I thought the 3 sacks in a row was awesome. However, to say that people are "just looking for something to complain about" is far off the mark IMO.

Wolfhound45
10-11-2009, 10:52 PM
eniparadoxgma, you nailed it. I was sweating bullets because I was afraid the Lions would score, fail on the two point conversion, try an onside kick and recover it, and then drive down to kick a field goal for the win. I definitely did not feel it was in the bag.

Consider this, the Lions only dressed four wide receivers and one of them went down in the first half. That left three, one of which was a rookie. Despite all of this, DC was SHREDDING our secondary. Not a good showing for our D.

sd steel
10-11-2009, 10:55 PM

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but it was most definitely in doubt all the way until that hail mary in the 4th. If you don't think so, I'm curious as to why you think that after driving the ball 80+ yards on us and scoring in the 4th that it was not in doubt when they had the ball and were marching down the field again on us with us up just one score.

Have you watched the previous few games we've played? Did you not see the obvious similarities? Did you not see our secondary getting picked apart by Culpepper? I'm not worried about what problems we had that might have made it a blowout. I'm worried about our D scaring the hell out of me yet again in the 4th quarter.

The only difference is that our D finally clamped down on that last drive. That's it.

I'm happy for the win. I thought the 3 sacks in a row was awesome. However, to say that people are "just looking for something to complain about" is far off the mark IMO.

We only had the ball for 12 plays in the 2nd half, 6 of the plays were runs by mendenhall, (to answer "what happened to mendenhall"), and one was a TD to Wallace. This game was never in doubt, the defense is a little soft, but LeBeau is still playing prevent. But when he brought the house we got it done.

Plus we were up by 8 pts which is basically 2 scores to tie at the end. I thought the game was a sleeper, and the Steelers basically walked through it except for Harrison, and Mendenhall, and the Oline, but it was never close

sd steel
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
eniparadoxgma, you nailed it. I was sweating bullets because I was afraid the Lions would score, fail on the two point conversion, try an onside kick and recover it, and then drive down to kick a field goal for the win. I definitely did not feel it was in the bag.

Consider this, the Lions only dressed four wide receivers and one of them went down in the first half. That left three, one of which was a rookie. Despite all of this, DC was SHREDDING our secondary. Not a good showing for our D.

So basically if we aren't up by at least 17 pts, and the opponents have the ball with 3 minutes left in the 4th you sweat bullets?? You much be a joy to watch a game with. :lol:(like being in a sauna) Last year must have been great for your blood pressure!

I love guys who think of every possible way we can lose. Ok, they miss the extra pt. and get the on-side, and throw a hail mary and go for 2 and squib it a we fumble........etc. Unbelievable!

BradshawsHairdresser
10-11-2009, 11:25 PM
[quote="sd steel":1eyss4kd]I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

We only had the ball for 12 plays in the 2nd half, 6 of the plays were runs by mendenhall, (to answer "what happened to mendenhall"), and one was a TD to Wallace. This game was never in doubt, the defense is a little soft, but LeBeau is still playing prevent. But when he brought the house we got it done.

Plus we were up by 8 pts which is basically 2 scores to tie at the end. I thought the game was a sleeper, and the Steelers basically walked through it except for Harrison, and Mendenhall, and the Oline, but it was never close[/quote:1eyss4kd]

It was way closer than it ever should have been, which has been the M.O. for the Steelers all season. It's a concern, when EVERY GAME our performance goes into a slide in the second half. The defense IS soft...and WHY is LeBeau going to the "prevent" so early? WHY are the Steelers "basically walking through" these games?

Three words: SUPER BOWL HANGOVER. The sense of urgency, and the "finish 'em off" mentality, on the part of many of our coaches and players, is conspicuously ABSENT.
Unless we get that corrected, we'll never make it past all the hungry teams to another championship.

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
[quote="sd steel":162vll98]I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

Plus we were up by 8 pts which is basically 2 scores to tie at the end. I thought the game was a sleeper, and the Steelers basically walked through it except for Harrison, and Mendenhall, and the Oline, but it was never close[/quote:162vll98]

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to an 8 point lead as "basically 2 scores to tie" since the league adopted the two point conversion rule. When people say "2 scores" they typically mean that 2 scoring drives are required (a 9 point lead or more).

As for those lamenting the fact that we did not dominate the game...I will take a win against an inferior opponent in which we surprisingly struggle over a loss to an elite team in which we dominate statistically but manage to lose anyway due to some unforeseen circumstance. I don't care about supposed moral victories or disappointing performances in a win. To me, it boils down to whether or not we have another notch in the "W" or "L" column in tomorrow's paper. That's it.

Is it concerning that we have the worst point differential in the entire league during the 4th quarter after having the best point differential in the entire league during the 1st quarter? Sure. Does it seem strange that what were apparent weaknesses to all of us coming into the season (o-line) has been surprisingly good so far), while apparent strengths coming into the season (the ability to close out games at crucial times) have become glaring concerns? Absolutely. But the fact is that we got the win.

I truly hope that True Fan's kids had the opportunity to enjoy witnessing a Steeler victory as a family, and the experience was not tarnished for them by unwavering negativity. We won. It may not have been as pretty as most of us would have liked, but a win is a win.

sd steel
10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
[quote="sd steel":1gm4losk]I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

Plus we were up by 8 pts which is basically 2 scores to tie at the end. I thought the game was a sleeper, and the Steelers basically walked through it except for Harrison, and Mendenhall, and the Oline, but it was never close

It was way closer than it ever should have been, which has been the M.O. for the Steelers all season. It's a concern, when EVERY GAME our performance goes into a slide in the second half. The defense IS soft...and WHY is LeBeau going to the "prevent" so early? WHY are the Steelers "basically walking through" these games?

Three words: SUPER BOWL HANGOVER. The sense of urgency, and the "finish 'em off" mentality, on the part of many of our coaches and players, is conspicuously ABSENT.
Unless we get that corrected, we'll never make it past all the hungry teams to another championship.[/quote:1gm4losk]

We are a couple of missed kicks and a couple of dropped passes from being 5-0, without Troy. As far as the soft defense, I think Lebeau is saving stuff for later in the season so other teams can't game plan for it. As far as the players, it is easy to let up when you are beating a team by 28 or more than a TD, (not saying its right), but it's human nature. I think we have shown that we can start strong, which is great, but when a team is playing from behind it is easy for them to gain momentum, they get "we've got nothing to lose" mindset. If we get behind we get hungry, but if there is no time left on the clock, ie, Cinci, and Bears, we could lose. I'd like to think we are preserving energy, and saving the best for when we need it...in December an January.

sd steel
10-11-2009, 11:43 PM
[quote="sd steel":aa640akg]I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to an 8 point lead as "basically 2 scores to tie" since the league adopted the two point conversion rule. When people say "2 scores" they typically mean that 2 scoring drives are required (a 9 point lead or more).

As for those lamenting the fact that we did not dominate the game...I will take a win against an inferior opponent in which we surprisingly struggle over a loss to an elite team in which we dominate statistically but manage to lose anyway due to some unforeseen circumstance. I don't care about supposed moral victories or disappointing performances in a win. To me, it boils down to whether or not we have another notch in the "W" or "L" column in tomorrow's paper. That's it.

Is it concerning that we have the worst point differential in the entire league during the 4th quarter after having the best point differential in the entire league during the 1st quarter? Sure. Does it seem strange that what were apparent weaknesses to all of us coming into the season (o-line) has been surprisingly good so far), while apparent strengths coming into the season (the ability to close out games at crucial times) have become glaring concerns? Absolutely. But the fact is that we got the win.

I truly hope that True Fan's kids had the opportunity to enjoy witnessing a Steeler victory as a family, and the experience was not tarnished for them by unwavering negativity. We won. It may not have been as pretty as most of us would have liked, but a win is a win.[/quote:aa640akg]

What I was saying is a 2 pt conversion isn't a "gimme", and they have to get it to tie. So it is more than one score in my opinion.

Wolfhound45
10-11-2009, 11:54 PM

So basically if we aren't up by at least 17 pts, and the opponents have the ball with 3 minutes left in the 4th you sweat bullets?? You much be a joy to watch a game with. :lol:(like being in a sauna) Last year must have been great for your blood pressure!

I love guys who think of every possible way we can lose. Ok, they miss the extra pt. and get the on-side, and throw a hail mary and go for 2 and squib it a we fumble........etc. Unbelievable!

I sweat bullets when we cannot put an opponent away that we are clearly better than (unless you have forgotten Chicago and Cincinnati). Sorry, but I do not trust our D right now. They are not showing the ability to shut an inferior opponent down.

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2009, 11:57 PM
[quote=eniparadoxgma][quote="sd steel":15lgi0zm]I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

I truly hope that True Fan's kids had the opportunity to enjoy witnessing a Steeler victory as a family, and the experience was not tarnished for them by unwavering negativity. We won. It may not have been as pretty as most of us would have liked, but a win is a win.[/quote:15lgi0zm]

What I was saying is a 2 pt conversion isn't a "gimme", and they have to get it to tie. So it is more than one score in my opinion.[/quote:15lgi0zm]

I agree that a 2 point conversion is not a gimme, but the "2 score game" phrase is used when you are questioning whether or not a team has enough time to score, hope for an onside kick, and then score again. It's a time issue, since two drives require precious time (and a 2 point conversion attempt after a TD takes no time, since you can attempt one if the TD is scored with 0:00 on the clock).

sd steel
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM

I sweat bullets when we cannot put an opponent away that we are clearly better than (unless you have forgotten Chicago and Cincinnati). Sorry, but I do not trust our D right now. They are not showing the ability to shut an inferior opponent down.

So detroit wasn't "put away" and neither was San Diego??? As far as inferior opponents, its the NFL, any team can beat anyother team on any given day... and Cinci, Chicago and San Diego would be considered inferior? No they all have capable offenses. Will we get our blow outs? Yes, but with Lebeaus prevent, we arent gonna give up big plays, but offenses will be able to throw short and move the chains, but they also burn the clock. His defense is like an 15 minute sleeper hold, they will continue to move, but they will eventually go to sleep. Does it always work.....it would if we didn't miss field goals and drop touchdown passes.

sd steel
10-12-2009, 12:30 AM
[quote=eniparadoxgma]
I agree that a 2 point conversion is not a gimme, but the "2 score game" phrase is used when you are questioning whether or not a team has enough time to score, hope for an onside kick, and then score again. It's a time issue, since two drives require precious time (and a 2 point conversion attempt after a TD takes no time, since you can attempt one if the TD is scored with 0:00 on the clock).[/quote:1drxom5z]

Sorry for using the "2 score game" in the wrong context. But I am not usually sweating an 8 point lead, and there is no way I'm thinking they will miss the 2 pt conversion and onside and get it and beat us. Not my mentality I guess.

buckeyehoppy
10-12-2009, 12:36 AM
We can call this season whatever we want but, to a Steeler fan, does this really look like a championship caliber team?

I hear what some of you are saying and, yes, perhaps it's a little early to sound the alarm. But, let's face it, no matter how feeble we think the Clowns are they are coming into Heinz next week with nothing to lose. If that doesn't register with the Defending Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, we might be that much more upset at this point next week than we are now.

Champions play for 60 minutes...something that these champions have yet to do in 2009. They also don't allow obviously inferior teams to hang out for all 60...not that every opponent we've had has been obviously inferior but all 5 have hung out for all 60. Champions put away every team and they manage to demoralize a few. These champions have yet to do that in 2009.

Next week is Game 6 of 16...it's time for the Defending Champion Pittsburgh Steelers to make a statement.

Wolfhound45
10-12-2009, 12:45 AM
[quote=Wolfhound45]eniparadoxgma, you nailed it. I was sweating bullets because I was afraid the Lions would score, fail on the two point conversion, try an onside kick and recover it, and then drive down to kick a field goal for the win. I definitely did not feel it was in the bag.

So detroit wasn't "put away" and neither was San Diego??? As far as inferior opponents, its the NFL, any team can beat anyother team on any given day... and Cinci, Chicago and San Diego would be considered inferior? No they all have capable offenses. Will we get our blow outs? Yes, but with Lebeaus prevent, we arent gonna give up big plays, but offenses will be able to throw short and move the chains, but they also burn the clock. His defense is like an 15 minute sleeper hold, they will continue to move, but they will eventually go to sleep. Does it always work.....it would if we didn't miss field goals and drop touchdown passes.[/quote:1ufiobgt]

Tell you what, we can agree to disagree. You can settle for the "sleeper hold" and I will settle for a "choke hold."

sd steel
10-12-2009, 01:28 AM
We can call this season whatever we want but, to a Steeler fan, does this really look like a championship caliber team?

I hear what some of you are saying and, yes, perhaps it's a little early to sound the alarm. But, let's face it, no matter how feeble we think the Clowns are they are coming into Heinz next week with nothing to lose. If that doesn't register with the Defending Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, we might be that much more upset at this point next week than we are now.

Champions play for 60 minutes...something that these champions have yet to do in 2009. They also don't allow obviously inferior teams to hang out for all 60...not that every opponent we've had has been obviously inferior but all 5 have hung out for all 60. Champions put away every team and they manage to demoralize a few. These champions have yet to do that in 2009.

Next week is Game 6 of 16...it's time for the Defending Champion Pittsburgh Steelers to make a statement.

How many games last year did the Champions put away and play all 60 minutes? Normally we played the last 30, because we slept through the first 30. You guys have short memories, because almost every game was close last year. I think we look like a champion again this year, only better, because we aren't waiting until the end of the game to score. This does have us playing a softer style of defense, and we are missing Troy, but the offense is clicking, and we will be fine. Enjoy the win, instead of worrying about all the ways we could have lost.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Even our very own OC must be part of the chicken little society.....amazingly he saw what I saw.....which is himself f'ing up! He still doesn't understand why though. It wasn't that we should have gone more to the run, which maybe we could have run all over them, it was that we went for the homerun every play instead of picking them apart like we did in the first half....

Steelers Notebook: Play calls after half debated by coach
Arians questions whether he called too many passes
Monday, October 12, 2009
By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
DETROIT -- Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he "got a little greedy" with the play-calling in the second half and probably had quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throw the ball more than he should have with the Steelers protecting a 15-point lead.

The sudden failure of the offense, coupled with the decision to not give running back Rashard Mendenhall more carries in the second half, nearly cost the Steelers in a 28-20 victory against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.

"We scored so quick in the third quarter when we had the ball and then we hit a lull," Arians said. "We sat there for a while on the bench and I think we lost our rhythm. I got a little greedy there trying to hit the home run ball."

The reference was to the third quarter when the Lions had the ball for 27 plays, compared to five for the Steelers. Nonetheless, the Lions were outscored in that quarter, 7-0, because of Roethlisberger's 47-yard touchdown to rookie Mike Wallace.

The Steelers ran only 12 offensive plays after that, seven of which were pass attempts by Roethlisberger. At one point, he attempted five consecutive passes, getting sacked three times.

Mendenhall, who had 65 yards rushing on nine carries in the first half, had six carries for 12 yards in the second half, despite the lead.

"It was real frustrating" Arians said. "I got too greedy."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09285/1004838-66.stm

jj28west
10-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Even our very own OC must be part of the chicken little society.....amazingly he saw what I saw.....which is himself f'ing up! He still doesn't understand why though. It wasn't that we should have gone more to the run, which maybe we could have run all over them, it was that we went for the homerun every play instead of picking them apart like we did in the first half....

Monday, October 12, 2009
DETROIT -- Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he "got a little greedy" with the play-calling in the second half and probably had quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throw the ball more than he should have with the Steelers protecting a 15-point lead.

The sudden failure of the offense, coupled with the decision to not give running back Rashard Mendenhall more carries in the second half, nearly cost the Steelers in a 28-20 victory against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.

"We scored so quick in the third quarter when we had the ball and then we hit a lull," Arians said. "We sat there for a while on the bench and I think we lost our rhythm. I got a little greedy there trying to hit the home run ball."

The reference was to the third quarter when the Lions had the ball for 27 plays, compared to five for the Steelers. Nonetheless, the Lions were outscored in that quarter, 7-0, because of Roethlisberger's 47-yard touchdown to rookie Mike Wallace.

The Steelers ran only 12 offensive plays after that, seven of which were pass attempts by Roethlisberger. At one point, he attempted five consecutive passes, getting sacked three times.

Mendenhall, who had 65 yards rushing on nine carries in the first half, had six carries for 12 yards in the second half, despite the lead.

Just an observation but on the last few Steeler drives I believe that the Lions were being more aggresive with corner blitzes,etc and were not just letting Ben get comfortable.

I wish we can continue to improve on the inside RB screen because with Detroit pushing upfield like that and being undiscliplined, we probably could have had some nice gains by Moore or Mendy.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 07:22 AM
the colts beat the lions on a last minute touchdown last year, they are not as bad as everyone thinks, they have been in alot of games this year, we should of put them away but we did not...

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2009, 08:10 AM

We don't look like a championship team right now, but luckily for us, championships aren't awarded in October (this ain't baseball, after all). I think that there is tremendous potential for this team, however. If you compare it to the championship team from last year, the o-line looks much better, we are able to run the ball much more effectively, and Ben is amazingly 2nd in the NFL in passing.

If the defense is able to turn it around (even if they are not historically great like last season...if they can just develop that killer instinct again, this team could be nasty). The return of Troy will help, certainly, but also big plays out of guys like Woodley and Timmons like were are now seeing from Harrison would help such a transformation.

Iron Shiek
10-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Monday, October 12, 2009

That's interesting...I'm glad Arians actually does a hindsight analysis of his playcalling, its a little reassuring. But honestly, I don't mind that he called a bunch of passes. If they would've run the ball 20 times in a row, we would be complaining that he turtled it again. I just think the execution may not have been there.

But I also agree with the poster that said the Lions D started getting more aggressive, which may have forced some mistakes on our part.

Overall, I'm slightly frustrated with not being able to play 60 minutes...but at the end of the day, a win is a win (said in the best possible "Coach" voice I could say that in :D )

Ghost
10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Seven times the lions had 3rd and 7 or more (5 times it was 10 yards or more) and converted. That 3rd and 19 was unbelievable.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2009, 09:34 AM
It wasn't the fact that we were passing in the 3rd that was the issue. It was that the passes were all with Ben under center, taking 5 step drops, and the WR running deeper patterns that take forever to develop. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out when the D is pinning their ears back and coming, you go shotgun and hit the underneath stuff......hit patterns in the areas the LB left vacant cause they were rushing. Make Larry Foote chase TE's in coverage and struggle like he did here with the Steelers.

It also doesn't take a brain surgeon to continue to run your RB that picked up 70 yards on 7 carries in the first half.

Credit the Lions if you want, but when our D is on the field the entire 3rd qtr because our O-Coordinator is a moron, of course they will be tired as hell in the 4th qtr.

I will take the sloppy W, but lets hope Tomlin has a little sit down with Arians...and if it Ben audibling to homerun passes every play, then sit him down for a little talk too.

We are unstoppable when we don't get greedy and hit the short stuff.

If Bruce Arians was a pitching coach and calling the pitches from the dugout, it seems like he would be in there flipping a coin instead of calling pitches to attack hitters and set them up.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
the third and longs are pathetic....it looks like the 2006, 07 defenses giving up those third and longs, i just dont get it....

frankthetank1
10-12-2009, 10:16 AM

haha your going to blame the offense? really the offense? they hardly had the ball in the second half, not the offense's fault. after yesterday's game i bet the steelers are in the top 10 or 15 of most offensive category's. blame the defense. blame lebeau, but dont blame the offense

Oviedo
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM

haha your going to blame the offense? really the offense? they hardly had the ball in the second half, not the offense's fault. after yesterday's game i bet the steelers are in the top 10 or 15 of most offensive category's. blame the defense. blame lebeau, but dont blame the offense

:Agree Folks need to start being as critical about LeBeau and his schemes this season as they are about Arians. LeBeau has not been getting the job done because it has little to do with the players and their execution and alot about the Coordinator and his play calling.

Woodley is a freaking ghost this season. He has easily been controlled by one blocker all season long.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-12-2009, 10:57 AM

:Agree Folks need to start being as critical about LeBeau and his schemes this season as they are about Arians. LeBeau has not been getting the job done because it has little to do with the players and their execution and alot about the Coordinator and his play calling.

Woodley is a freaking ghost this season. He has easily been controlled by one blocker all season long.
$$$$$$$$$

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
yea, if you think the offense has problems than you thinking old time steeler football, this offense is one of the best in the league, the defense as of now without troy is on the bottom 12 or so......

BradshawsHairdresser
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
[quote=eniparadoxgma][quote="sd steel":1zo6z7we]I'm not really sure what any of you were watching today, but this game was never close and never in doubt. The defense looked a little soft at times but we blitzed a bunch in the 4th qtr. The offense went for the throat throughout the game, and if Wallace doesn't drop the TD, and Ben doesn't throw the pick, its a real big blowout. Medenhall rushed great, but they gave him a breather so he would be fresh in the 4th quearter if needed.

Unless we get that corrected, we'll never make it past all the hungry teams to another championship.[/quote:1zo6z7we]

We are a couple of missed kicks and a couple of dropped passes from being 5-0, without Troy. As far as the soft defense, I think Lebeau is saving stuff for later in the season so other teams can't game plan for it. As far as the players, it is easy to let up when you are beating a team by 28 or more than a TD, (not saying its right), but it's human nature. I think we have shown that we can start strong, which is great, but when a team is playing from behind it is easy for them to gain momentum, they get "we've got nothing to lose" mindset. If we get behind we get hungry, but if there is no time left on the clock, ie, Cinci, and Bears, we could lose. I'd like to think we are preserving energy, and saving the best for when we need it...in December an January.[/quote:1zo6z7we]

You could just as well say we are only a few plays from being 0-5. You can't deal with what MIGHT have been, you have to deal with what IS. And what IS doesn't look very good, when we're talking about our second-half defense. "Saving stuff for later in the season" is a good way to find yourself OUT of contention later in the season. You have to play to win EVERY GAME. Teams that hold back from playing their best in the early games most often find that they are not the ones playing the best as the season winds down.

anger 82&95
10-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Woodley is a freaking ghost this season. He has easily been controlled by one blocker all season long.Does Woodley seem slower this Year?

frankthetank1
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
[quote="True Fan":m7r5sbkm]it did in person? Jimeny crickets, if you have to barely hold on to beating the lions, something is definitely wrong.

Woodley is a freaking ghost this season. He has easily been controlled by one blocker all season long.Does Woodley seem slower this Year?[/quote:m7r5sbkm]

i dont know if he is slower this year, but its very possible.didnt he put on some weight in the offseason or am i thinking of farrior? i dont know what is wrong with woodley but i hope he wasnt just a two season wonder. i think they should rotate and put timmons at olb and fox at mlb once in a while. timmons has no problem getting to the qb

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Guess this might be unnecessary forward thinking, and not necessarily a theory on Woodley's current woes, but I bet he could end up a decent 3/4 defensive end...or 4-3 defensive end....and so could Keisel (be a 4-3 DE) if he lost a little weight. Maybe even as is. Could we be missing just one starting piece for a young 4-3 D-Line that looked like.....

Woodley
Hood
Smith for now, future FA or draft pick
Keisel

with backups of Hoke, ? Do we have any young DL prospects even on the team? Did Sonny Harris get snagged by someone after Carolina let him go? Is Mcloud or Mclendon or whatever his name is on the PS?

OLB Fox
ILB Timmons
OLB Harrison

We would be thin at LB in a year or two from what we currently have. Not sure Arnold Harrison or Frazier would be LB in a 4-3.

Guess the question is could that front 4 get pressure on the QB? Just wondering what would happen if Lebeau retired in a season or 2. Would we stick with the 3-4?

LasVegasGuy
10-12-2009, 01:24 PM

From Peter King.
"12. Pittsburgh (3-2). I don't like dropping the Steelers four spots after a road win. I understand it's not fair. But the Lions drove to the Steelers 21 in the final minutes and were a big Daunte Culpepper pass from pulling a ridiculous upset. I need to see a little more from the Steelers.

sd steel
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Guess this might be unnecessary forward thinking, and not necessarily a theory on Woodley's current woes, but I bet he could end up a decent 3/4 defensive end...or 4-3 defensive end....and so could Keisel (be a 4-3 DE) if he lost a little weight. Maybe even as is. Could we be missing just one starting piece for a young 4-3 D-Line that looked like.....

Woodley
Hood
Smith for now, future FA or draft pick
Keisel

with backups of Hoke, ? Do we have any young DL prospects even on the team? Did Sonny Harris get snagged by someone after Carolina let him go? Is Mcloud or Mclendon or whatever his name is on the PS?

OLB Fox
ILB Timmons
OLB Harrison

We would be thin at LB in a year or two from what we currently have. Not sure Arnold Harrison or Frazier would be LB in a 4-3.

Guess the question is could that front 4 get pressure on the QB? Just wondering what would happen if Lebeau retired in a season or 2. Would we stick with the 3-4?

3-4, 4-3.....it's all semantics. We play a hybrid that shows every look imaginable, so for lineup purposes we call our base a 3-4, but we seldom show or play a true 3-4.

buckeyehoppy
10-12-2009, 01:49 PM
It wasn't the fact that we were passing in the 3rd that was the issue. It was that the passes were all with Ben under center, taking 5 step drops, and the WR running deeper patterns that take forever to develop. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out when the D is pinning their ears back and coming, you go shotgun and hit the underneath stuff......hit patterns in the areas the LB left vacant cause they were rushing. Make Larry Foote chase TE's in coverage and struggle like he did here with the Steelers.

It also doesn't take a brain surgeon to continue to run your RB that picked up 70 yards on 7 carries in the first half.

Credit the Lions if you want, but when our D is on the field the entire 3rd qtr because our O-Coordinator is a moron, of course they will be tired as hell in the 4th qtr.

I will take the sloppy W, but lets hope Tomlin has a little sit down with Arians...and if it Ben audibling to homerun passes every play, then sit him down for a little talk too.

We are unstoppable when we don't get greedy and hit the short stuff.

If Bruce Arians was a pitching coach and calling the pitches from the dugout, it seems like he would be in there flipping a coin instead of calling pitches to attack hitters and set them up.

You hit the nail square on the head Mr. PGH, especially with the statement I put in bold.

proudpittsburgher
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM

From Peter King.
"12. Pittsburgh (3-2). I don't like dropping the Steelers four spots after a road win. I understand it's not fair. But the Lions drove to the Steelers 21 in the final minutes and were a big Daunte Culpepper pass from pulling a ridiculous upset. I need to see a little more from the Steelers.

It's a bit misleading. It was more like, they drove to the Pittsburgh 21 and were a Daunte Culpepper TD pass, two point conversion, Detroit defensive stop in regulation, and a score in overtime from completing a ridiculous upset. That being said, I have no problem with him dropping Pittsburgh in the fake standings.

buckeyehoppy
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM

How many games last year did the Champions put away and play all 60 minutes? Normally we played the last 30, because we slept through the first 30. You guys have short memories, because almost every game was close last year. I think we look like a champion again this year, only better, because we aren't waiting until the end of the game to score. This does have us playing a softer style of defense, and we are missing Troy, but the offense is clicking, and we will be fine. Enjoy the win, instead of worrying about all the ways we could have lost.

I'm agreeing with most of your sentiment here, SD.

But look at the first statement that I put in bold here. We might have slept through the first 30 last season, but finishing strong normally indicates 60 minutes of play. There's a little bit of difference between the way we were winning last season and how we're managing things this season: by jumping out fast, then hanging on to win. That is a recipe for disaster if you keep relying on that because momentum plays such a huge role in football. Things can come unglued fast if you are the victim of the other team's momentum.

Also, I can't really buy that missing Troy is making this much of a difference in the way we play D. Sure, it has some effect. But it can't possibly have the kind of effect that puts a team in the bottom half of the league's Ds after being #1 the year before. LeBeau needs to field a D like what we saw on the last Detroit drive...full of fire and attacking. That D we can all get with and I don't think it would be terribly complicated to incorporate if you use the bench wisely.

And the end of the day, we're 3-2 now and with the next two going into the bye week being at home we can be 5-2 if we prepare accordingly. Minnesota looks like a load right now. But let's see how they deal with us at full health and with a few tweaks here and there, especially on the D. Also, can't overlook the Clowns. This has to be a statement game because they are sitting at 1-4, but with two close games in a row coming in. It would help if the Steelers kept the foot on the gas for 60 minutes in this one on both sides of the ball.

Ghost
10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Not sure I understand the sentiment that this game was out of reach and always put away? Heck, even the Detroit press was talking about what a miracle it was the "Lions had a chance" 'Good to be there at the end', "Hanging in there against the Super Bowl Champs".

Culpepper had recently completed a 25 yard TD pass to Northcutt with ease. An 82 yard drive in the 4th. They were driving at the end and converting long 3rd downs.

And the Lions were without there starting QB, their starting Tacke, as well as their best receiver going down in the first Q.

3 sacks and a deflected hail Mary is a great way to end it but to act as if the Lions had no chance to put another TD on the board is preposterous.

sd steel
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM

But look at the first statement that I put in bold here. We might have slept through the first 30 last season, but finishing strong normally indicates 60 minutes of play. There's a little bit of difference between the way we were winning last season and how we're managing things this season: by jumping out fast, then hanging on to win. That is a recipe for disaster if you keep relying on that because momentum plays such a huge role in football. Things can come unglued fast if you are the victim of the other team's momentum.

Also, I can't really buy that missing Troy is making this much of a difference in the way we play D. Sure, it has some effect. But it can't possibly have the kind of effect that puts a team in the bottom half of the league's Ds after being #1 the year before. LeBeau needs to field a D like what we saw on the last Detroit drive...full of fire and attacking. That D we can all get with and I don't think it would be terribly complicated to incorporate if you use the bench wisely.

And the end of the day, we're 3-2 now and with the next two going into the bye week being at home we can be 5-2 if we prepare accordingly. Minnesota looks like a load right now. But let's see how they deal with us at full health and with a few tweaks here and there, especially on the D. Also, can't overlook the Clowns. This has to be a statement game because they are sitting at 1-4, but with two close games in a row coming in. It would help if the Steelers kept the foot on the gas for 60 minutes in this one on both sides of the ball.

Here is the difference, for us to win last year, we had to bring it because we were always down or in a close game in the second half. We had to be the agressor. Now we are being aggressive in the first half and rolling out double digit leads, only to try to preserve the victory in the second half. I'm not happy about the games looking closer than what they really were on the scoreboard, but in Tomlin speak, there are no style points awarded in the NFL.

As far as Troy, I think Lebeau plays less aggressive when Troy is not in, because he can do so many things, so he calls a safer game. As for the defensive standings, when you play in safe mode you give up yards, but you also burn the clock. I am looking forward to the Vikings game as well to see where we stand.

But to complain about our last two victories seems silly, neither game was close.

buckeyehoppy
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM

We don't look like a championship team right now, but luckily for us, championships aren't awarded in October (this ain't baseball, after all). I think that there is tremendous potential for this team, however. If you compare it to the championship team from last year, the o-line looks much better, we are able to run the ball much more effectively, and Ben is amazingly 2nd in the NFL in passing.

If the defense is able to turn it around (even if they are not historically great like last season...if they can just develop that killer instinct again, this team could be nasty). The return of Troy will help, certainly, but also big plays out of guys like Woodley and Timmons like were are now seeing from Harrison would help such a transformation.

Well, I did pick these guys to repeat. So, I'll stand buy my original prediction. Besides, if the Steelers can go into the bye week strong and come out of it none the worse for the wear, then I think we can set ourselves up for a good stretch run. The next five games are all winnable, but our guys need to keep up a even level of intensity.

It's hard to imagine this D reaching last season's level at any point this year. But, that doesn't mean that some guys that haven't played up to par (you mentioned Wood and LT) aren't going to step up at some point unless they are playing with an undisclosed injury or something.

Also, and Mr. PGH mad e a great point in this thread, our O needs to quit being greedy and play a shorter game. I couldn't agree with that more. Just like small ball wins more consistently in baseball, it will win here for the Steelers. It will enable us to control the ball longer and keep the D fresh and off the field. The key is to not turn the ball over, and that has been a problem of ours so far this season. Ball control and protection will go a long way toward the Steelers being able to step up their level of play.

buckeyehoppy
10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
[quote=buckeyehoppy]We can call this season whatever we want but, to a Steeler fan, does this really look like a championship caliber team?

Here is the difference, for us to win last year, we had to bring it because we were always down or in a close game in the second half. We had to be the agressor. Now we are being aggressive in the first half and rolling out double digit leads, only to try to preserve the victory in the second half. I'm not happy about the games looking closer than what they really were on the scoreboard, but in Tomlin speak, there are no style points awarded in the NFL.

As far as Troy, I think Lebeau plays less aggressive when Troy is not in, because he can do so many things, so he calls a safer game. As for the defensive standings, when you play in safe mode you give up yards, but you also burn the clock. I am looking forward to the Vikings game as well to see where we stand.

But to complain about our last two victories seems silly, neither game was close.[/quote:1apgliw4]

True enough. But managing a game the way the Steelers have most of this season will backfire sooner or later. We're the team with the target on our back this season and playing this conservatively is going to betray us when we don't need it to. Going for a single score to drive the final nail in the coffin of a team that rightly believes they can still win is a smart strategy and may well save this teams legs down the stretch instead of scrambling to finish.

The Vikings game is one thing. But Troy will need to be back this week to get his game legs back under him. We can't really afford to hold him out until the Vikings game because they look like world beaters right now and we'll need him to have a game under his belt if at all possible. Troy practiced last week and probably will this week as well. If that's the case, I say he goes this Sunday.

sd steel
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Well, I did pick these guys to repeat. So, I'll stand buy my original prediction. Besides, if the Steelers can go into the bye week strong and come out of it none the worse for the wear, then I think we can set ourselves up for a good stretch run. The next five games are all winnable, but our guys need to keep up a even level of intensity.

It's hard to imagine this D reaching last season's level at any point this year. But, that doesn't mean that some guys that haven't played up to par (you mentioned Wood and LT) aren't going to step up at some point unless they are playing with an undisclosed injury or something.

Also, and Mr. PGH mad e a great point in this thread, our O needs to quit being greedy and play a shorter game. I couldn't agree with that more. Just like small ball wins more consistently in baseball, it will win here for the Steelers. It will enable us to control the ball longer and keep the D fresh and off the field. The key is to not turn the ball over, and that has been a problem of ours so far this season. Ball control and protection will go a long way toward the Steelers being able to step up their level of play.

It's pretty obvious you can't please everyone on this board. You bring up "small ball" or ball possesion offense, but if you happen not to get a first by running and short passing, you punt. Then you hear the boo birds saying "why the hell do we run?, we have the best QB and receivers, we should go no-huddle all game". I'm sure there is a happy medium, but at the same time Steeler fans will always be critical, no matter whether we win or lose. We just came off a Super Bowl victory, we could easily be 5-0, yet Arians sucks, Lebeau sucks, dline is old and sucks, oline sucks, we can't run, we drop passes, we miss kicks, our special teams sucks our DB's suck, our LB's suck our 2008 draft was a bust......you get the point. I will take the 3-2 without Troy, and look forward to a great season. :Boobs

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
i was with my father in law who tries to act stuck up and for some reason he loves pitt and the pirates but cannot stand the penguins and steelers because he does not like their fans (WTF) and he rips big ben like there is no tomorrow, i guess because big ben is not a dapper dan. Any way, he is always complaining about how dumb fans are and how they dont know anything, but he always gives his 2 cents thinking he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. well anyway if i were to close my eyes and guess the score on his reactions i would of thought we lost 46-7...but in my eyes, we looked good, the only thing that really makes me upset is the third and longs that we keep giving up, and we had too many 3 and outs yesterday....

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2009, 03:46 PM
So your father in law is a total douchebag that pulls for only the losing teams in Pittsburgh and rips the winning teams. Yeah, I would trust his take on sports :roll:

Sounds like a d!ckhead. Lets hope his daughter is cooler...... :Boobs

:Cheers

proudpittsburgher
10-12-2009, 03:54 PM

It's pretty obvious you can't please everyone on this board. You bring up "small ball" or ball possesion offense, but if you happen not to get a first by running and short passing, you punt. Then you hear the boo birds saying "why the hell do we run?, we have the best QB and receivers, we should go no-huddle all game". I'm sure there is a happy medium, but at the same time Steeler fans will always be critical, no matter whether we win or lose. We just came off a Super Bowl victory, we could easily be 5-0, yet Arians sucks, Lebeau sucks, dline is old and sucks, oline sucks, we can't run, we drop passes, we miss kicks, our special teams sucks our DB's suck, our LB's suck our 2008 draft was a bust......you get the point. I will take the 3-2 without Troy, and look forward to a great season. :Boobs

It's like a bad accident. We know this is what it is going to look like on here, yet we keep coming.

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM

After having the #1 ranked overall defense in the league last season, we have fallen all the way down to the #5 overall defense in the league this season. That's not quite bottom half of the league. Sure, our pass defense without Troy has fallen from #1 to #14, but even that is still in the top half of the league. And our run defense has crumbled from #2 in the league to #3 in the league.

steelsnis
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
A. The biggest problem area with this team is the pass defense.

B. Our best pass defender has played only 1 1/2 quarters of football this season.

C. Our pass defense will improve when our best pass defender returns to the team.

A x B = C

Duh... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2009, 04:52 PM
A. The biggest problem area with this team is the pass defense.

B. Our best pass defender has played only 1 1/2 quarters of football this season.

C. Our pass defense will improve when our best pass defender returns to the team.

A x B = C

Duh... :lol:

I'll give you A + B = C, but A x B = C may be taking it a little too far. :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM

See, I think we can and should run the ball hard against teams like Detroit, Cleveland, and even San Diego. But against a lot of teams I think the no huddle is the way to go. You can play possession type small ball from the no huddle very effectively. Just because you go no huddle doesn't mean you are throwing it, or should throw it, 30 yds downfield every play.

sd steel
10-12-2009, 07:09 PM
[quote=buckeyehoppy]We can call this season whatever we want but, to a Steeler fan, does this really look like a championship caliber team?

See, I think we can and should run the ball hard against teams like Detroit, Cleveland, and even San Diego. But against a lot of teams I think the no huddle is the way to go. You can play possession type small ball from the no huddle very effectively. Just because you go no huddle doesn't mean you are throwing it, or should throw it, 30 yds downfield every play.[/quote:2hcqam66]

Yes you can, but if you go three and out a couple of times, I'm sure 10 arm chair OC's will say going no huddle is not running the clock enough, and why are they running without a tight end or a fullback etc etc. Next time I see Mr. Rooney I'll make sure to mention your name as potential OC candidates to replace old Bruce. It's funny how many football geniuses there are on the internet yet so few in the NFL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

feltdizz
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes you can, but if you go three and out a couple of times, I'm sure 10 arm chair OC's will say going no huddle is not running the clock enough, and why are they running without a tight end or a fullback etc etc. Next time I see Mr. Rooney I'll make sure to mention your name as potential OC candidates to replace old Bruce. It's funny how many football geniuses there are on the internet yet so few in the NFL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not worried..

If we pass or go for the homerun then the experts say we should run...
If we run then we should have went no huddle....

I almost believe Arians made sure Mend didn't put p numbers so FWP would still have a shot at a few reps..lol.

steelsnis
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll give you A + B = C, but A x B = C may be taking it a little too far.

Dang it! I hate math...

Mister Pittsburgh
10-13-2009, 12:45 AM
[quote=buckeyehoppy][quote=RuthlessBurgher]

See, I think we can and should run the ball hard against teams like Detroit, Cleveland, and even San Diego. But against a lot of teams I think the no huddle is the way to go. You can play possession type small ball from the no huddle very effectively. Just because you go no huddle doesn't mean you are throwing it, or should throw it, 30 yds downfield every play.

:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:2p6o7in4][/quote:2p6o7in4]

Sure...other fans can think what they want. And they would be wrong. I am right. I am sure Mr. Rooney has no idea who Mister Pittsburgh is, but I would undoubtedly knock his socks off. I am glad you are wise and also see my genius and potential. Cheers! :Cheers

sd steel
10-13-2009, 12:53 AM
:Cheers :Cheers :Cheers Cheers to you coach! :Bow :lol: :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
10-13-2009, 01:07 AM
:Cheers :Cheers :Cheers Cheers to you coach! :Bow :lol: :lol:

We would be Superbowl champs this year - Guaranteed! :Beer