PDA

View Full Version : Missed 1st half - why didn't Sweed get more throws?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I heard on the chat he dropped 1 pass. Was it an easy one? Did they stop throwing to him after that? Did he get a lot of looks?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

calmkiller
10-11-2009, 05:00 PM
He was in on the first series on third down and they threw a quick slant to him. It was a catchable ball but he had a defender on him as well. The defender got a hand in and he dropped the ball. Was the only time he was thrown to the whole day.

steelsnis
10-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Not sure I'd call that a drop as much as I'd call it a "pass defended" by the corner. Sweed got his hands on it but was wrapped up from behind and the defenders hands got inside and knocked the ball out.

stlrz d
10-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Not sure I'd call that a drop as much as I'd call it a "pass defended" by the corner. Sweed got his hands on it but was wrapped up from behind and the defenders hands got inside and knocked the ball out.

Yup...the pass was a bit behind him too. Had it been more in front it would have been more catchable.

Only saw him in on maybe a half dozen plays after that but the ball never went his way.

Chadman
10-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Anyone remember Ben trying to sell us on the idea he 'needed' a 'big WR'?

Now he's got one & he hardly sees anything thrown his way- yet the 3 6'0" & lower WR's get looks all day.

Chadman is a big fan of Ben & Tomlin- but urges both (but moreso Tomlin & co) to NOT fall under the Kordell Stewart Demand System.

(The what? Remember Kordell sitting in on the OC selection panel, getting the OC he wanted, so that Cowher could get an OC that Kordell felt comfy with? Remember how well that worked out? The only lesson to learn out of that is that the QB, no matter how important to the team, is still just a team member. The coaches should NEVER allow a QB to influence team selections/ coaching selections/ draft choices & FA's.)

Sweed was never a 'need'. He might still turn into a player- but he was drafted over other WR's simply because he's big & because Ben wanted a big WR. Dumb move.

Scarletfire1970
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Clock liked the Sweed pick.

grotonsteel
10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
WR was a need in 2008 draft.I still believe Sweed is a better receiver than Hardy, Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly. And looking at the options Steelers had in 2nd Rd Limas Sweed made sense. I don't think Steelers selected Limas Sweed just because he was a tall WR.

The worst pick of 2008 draft was Bruce Davis.

Shoe
10-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Ummm... YOU DROP a very catchable TD pass in a week or so prior, and are lucky enough to get another ball thrown your way (granted, not exactly on target)

BOTTOM LINE:
YOU HAVE TO CATCH THAT BALL

stlrz d
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Ummm... YOU DROP a very catchable TD pass in a week or so prior, and are lucky enough to get another ball thrown your way (granted, not exactly on target)

BOTTOM LINE:
YOU HAVE TO CATCH THAT BALL

Yeah, if it's catchable you have to.

This one wasn't.

It was funny to hear Fouts rip Sweed and then later excuse Pettigrew who was open but missed a pass because "he was covered by Timmons" when Timmons was actually trailing him on the play.

NorthCoast
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
This obsession with Sweed is really annoying.

THE GUY IS OUR 5TH WR! Why do you or should you expect to see more of him?

Meanwhile a ROOKIE named Wallace drops a TD today, then turns around and makes up for it. I don't want a BIG TALL WR that drops balls. I want a WR that GETS OPEN and catches the ball.

Enough with the Sweed-love...he needs another year of practice.

Chavezz
10-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Sweed needs to make use of every opportunity that he gets. I'm not all that upset over this last drop, it was a tough catch and a good defensive play.

I've very happy with Mike Wallace though. He's softening the dissapointment of Limas.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
i wanted him to get a few catches to get some confidence but oh well....