PDA

View Full Version : Ben got lazy

stlrz d
10-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Took his time and threw that ball late while the DB was already breaking on it.

SteelCrazy
10-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Ben should be grounded.....no strip clubs for 2 weeks

:Beer :twisted:

Iron Shiek
10-11-2009, 02:44 PM
What pi$ses me off is a play or two before that, the throw to wallace. It seems Ben's deep ball isn't on the mark more times than not. That is a freakin td if he just leads him a bit to the inside. There was no safety coming over, but it went to the outside shoulder forcing Wallace to try to make a harder than it looks over the shoulder catch turning his body outwards.

Overall I am pleased with Ben's game though. He is on the mark with everything else it seems but those two passes. I guess he can't be Mr Perfect...and no, not the wrestler.

Iron Shiek
10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Okay, I really hate to sound like alot of our anti steeler friends here, but my prior message wasn't more evident than on that td ben just threw to wallace. Wow he had nobody on him but had to come back.

Glad it was still a td, but come on...practice those deep ones maybe extra this next week.

feltdizz
10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Okay, I really hate to sound like alot of our anti steeler friends here, but my prior message wasn't more evident than on that td ben just threw to wallace. Wow he had nobody on him but had to come back.

Glad it was still a td, but come on...practice those deep ones maybe extra this next week.

i feel you... an easy td was damn near an int.. wallace waited forever

Flasteel
10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
What pi$ses me off is a play or two before that, the throw to wallace. It seems Ben's deep ball isn't on the mark more times than not. That is a freakin td if he just leads him a bit to the inside. There was no safety coming over, but it went to the outside shoulder forcing Wallace to try to make a harder than it looks over the shoulder catch turning his body outwards.

Overall I am pleased with Ben's game though. He is on the mark with everything else it seems but those two passes. I guess he can't be Mr Perfect...and no, not the wrestler.

Shiek...brother...that was a perfect pass which was dropped. Don't fault Ben on that one man.

eniparadoxgma
10-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I've been saying Ben underthrows deep balls for awhile now.

Oh well. He's still the man IMO.

AngryAsian
10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I've been saying Ben underthrows deep balls for awhile now.

Oh well. He's still the man IMO.

Ben is a great field general... but the long ball is not his forte. He doesn't throw on a rope like Peyton does. He has to really loft the ball to get it deep, ala Warren Moon style.

Chachi
10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
This should all please you, then...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200910110 ... full-story (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101103/2009/REG5/steelers@lions/recap/full-story)

The two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback made up for it on the next drive, connecting with Ward on a 17-yard pass to give the Steelers a 21-13 lead.

"I don't feel like I'm playing well," Roethlisberger said. "I'm disappointed in my performance."

skyhawk
10-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Um, he did underthrow it a little. But did you notice it was still a 56 yard THROW? Come on.

Jigawatts
10-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Shiek...brother...that was a perfect pass which was dropped. Don't fault Ben on that one man.

:Agree

If Wallace holds on that's a 14 point swing because Ben doesn't throw the pick 6 two
plays later. Great pass, Wallace should have had it and walked into the endzone.

However, Wallace did make up for it with the TD pass on the under thrown ball.

Can you imagine what Bens numbers would look like if his receivers caught the balls
that they're supposed to? :shock:

NorthCoast
10-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I really think it is a case of Ben still trying to adjust to Wallace's speed. Ben needs to learn that when he throws deep to Wallace he needs to do it sooner and farther than he thinks. It's like leaving a 10 ft putt short in match play...you just don't do it.

eniparadoxgma
10-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Um, he did underthrow it a little. But did you notice it was still a 56 yard THROW? Come on.

Noted. However, I don't think this is an isolated occurrence. I think it's the status quo on his long balls.

Iron Shiek
10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I really think it is a case of Ben still trying to adjust to Wallace's speed. Ben needs to learn that when he throws deep to Wallace he needs to do it sooner and farther than he thinks. It's like leaving a 10 ft putt short in match play...you just don't do it.

I think this might have a lot to do with it too. But like enip says, and I've seen him say before, its been an ongoing thing. And he did have Randle el for a while who was fairly quick, so its not like he's never had a fast guy to throw to. And who can forget the blazing fast Cedrick Wilson... :D

steelblood
10-11-2009, 10:08 PM

I have to say that I've always contended that Ben throws a poor deep ball (and taken a lot of heat for it). It is certainly the worst part of his game. It really seems like something that he could improve. He is way to inconsistent on the long throws.

skyhawk
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Noted. However, I don't think this is an isolated occurrence. I think it's the status quo on his long balls.

Agreed.

buckeyehoppy
10-12-2009, 12:47 AM
These long balls, if not Benjamin's forte, are really disconcerting then. I'd rather these guys work half a dozen slants across the middle that will work almost every time than try to hit a home run. When we dump the ball off quickly is when we have the greatest success. It worked that way today and has all season. Problem is, they aren't going to their strength. I swear, when the Steelers burn clock and control the ball they are the most successful. That's the way it's worked in both of our most recent SB runs and that's what this pinhead Arians needs to go back to now.

Scarletfire1970
10-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I think he has been better with the deep ball. He did underthrow the one yesterday. But I seem to remember a few drops that would have been TDs in prior games.

stlrz d
10-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I think he has been better with the deep ball. He did underthrow the one yesterday. But I seem to remember a few drops that would have been TDs in prior games.

That's pretty much how I've seen it.

JTP53609
10-12-2009, 07:20 AM
sitting from my couch i question the out calls sometimes, of his 30 some career INT i would say 60% come from that same out route, the majority of the time it works nicely, but he was on the left side of the field and threw the out right ehhhhh...

Iron Shiek
10-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah...I kinda feel like a douche for complaining about his deep balls. But there's nothing wrong with finding something that I want the best qb in the league to get better at. :tt2

Jooser
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM

:Agree

If Wallace holds on that's a 14 point swing because Ben doesn't throw the pick 6 two
plays later. Great pass, Wallace should have had it and walked into the endzone.

However, Wallace did make up for it with the TD pass on the under thrown ball.

Can you imagine what Bens numbers would look like if his receivers caught the balls
that they're supposed to? :shock:

Good point, they flashed the drop stats at the beginning of the game yesterday, we had 9 coming into yesterday's game. Not sure how that stacks up against the rest of the league, however, a few of those drops were for either sure TD's or at least first downs.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2009, 09:54 AM

You pretty much ALWAYS see the WR have to come back or slow down to catch Ben's deep ball. It is very rare you see Ben overthrow a WR. When I say ALWAYS, I am talking 19 out of 20.

Oviedo
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM

I have to say that I've always contended that Ben throws a poor deep ball (and taken a lot of heat for it). It is certainly the worst part of his game. It really seems like something that he could improve. He is way to inconsistent on the long throws.

No heat from here in Orlando. I agree that Ben's deep balls are very erratic at best. I have said for years that Ben would be unstoppable if he would just take what the defense was giving him and concentrate on the short to medium range passes and let the receivers get yards after the catch. I think his nearly 75% completion rate is showing how good at this he can be.

IMO--The sacks Ben took yesterday was clearly because he got away from this. It appeared to me that he was clearly looking to throw a homerun ball instead of the easy dump off pass.

frankthetank1
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
ben is having a great year. i liked after the int he had something like 11 straight completions. he had one or two bad throws all game i would say. if it wasnt for the int it would have been a perfect game.

SteelBucks
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
ben is having a great year. i liked after the int he had something like 11 straight completions. he had one or two bad throws all game i would say. if it wasnt for the int it would have been a perfect game.

Yep, Ben's having a great year. His completion percentage is off the charts ridiculous. 73.8!......Tops in the league.

proudpittsburgher
10-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I know these throws from Wallace aren't the only throws he undertosses, but is their any consideration to the fact that Wallace is the third and sometimes fourth option on those passes, behind Ward, tone and the runnign back. Is it possible that by the time Ben gets to Wallace, it is too late to lead him? Maybe designing plays to wallace where he is the first option on deep routes is one possibility? Just thinking out loud here.