PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu says he's ready, Tomlin may not agree

fordfixer
10-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Polamalu says he's ready, Tomlin may not agree

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 10, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 47353.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647353.html)

• What safety Troy Polamalu wants and what coach Mike Tomlin decides regarding Polamalu's playing status are probably two different things. After practicing for the third consecutive day, Polamalu declared himself ready for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Detroit Lions. However, Polamalu, who has been out since he sprained his knee against Tennessee on Sept. 10, is listed as doubtful on the injury report. "It was really good to be out there practicing. I feel pretty good,'' Polamalu said Friday. If it were up to him, Polamalu said he would play Sunday. "Yes. No question," he said. Polamalu also understands that it's a long season, and Tomlin has the final say. "I don't know if coach Tomlin's made a decision or not. All I can do is prepare myself like I'm playing. Coach Tomlin cares about his players. I don't think he would throw me out there if he thought I'm not prepared or I'm not ready."

• There are no questions about running back Willie Parker's status. Parker (turf toe) will miss his second consecutive game. Left guard Chris Kemoeatu, who was limited in Thursday's practice, was a full participant yesterday.

• A host of Detroit players are listed as questionable on the injury report, led by rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford. Coach Jim Schwartz was evasive about Stafford's status. Stafford, who suffered a knee injury in the Chicago game, missed the first two days of practice and was limited in individual drills yesterday. Veteran Daunte Culpepper will start if Stafford doesn't play. Other Lions who are questionable include tackle Gosder Cherilus (shoulder), defensive end Cliff Avril (hamstring) and safeties Kalvin Pearson (quadriceps) and Ko Simpson (hamstring). Defensive tackle Sammie Hill (ankle) is doubtful.

Digits

10 -- Steelers' wins in the past 12 games against Detroit.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-10-2009, 11:14 AM
My general impression is that, in addition to questionable accuracy at this stage of his career, Culpepper's strength is not deciphering coverages. We should be eating his lunch on Sunday.

Since his strength has always been the long ball, I think this is one situation where the LeBeau cushion won't hurt us, it'll just frustrate DC, and probably lead to a pic or two.

Northern_Blitz
10-10-2009, 02:43 PM
My general impression is that, in addition to questionable accuracy at this stage of his career, Culpepper's strength is not deciphering coverages. We should be eating his lunch on Sunday.

Since his strength has always been the long ball, I think this is one situation where the LeBeau cushion won't hurt us, it'll just frustrate DC, and probably lead to a pic or two.

DC also has fumbling issues IIRC. I'd be nice to see Harrison & Woodley get some sacks & turnovers (maybe even a TD).

AngryAsian
10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
We don't need Troy in the next 2 games, facing very tepid competition. But Minnesota is where we need to see Troy back.

buckeyehoppy
10-11-2009, 12:45 AM

The D needs to face an opponent like this in this game because we've been as flat as a surfboard on D the last two games. It'll be good to get back on stride and work on ramping up some intensity over the next two weeks so we have a head of steam going into the home tie with Minnesota.

I expect at least four turnovers against the Lions.

We don't need Troy in the next 2 games, facing very tepid competition. But Minnesota is where we need to see Troy back.

I agree only in part, ASIAN. Would like to see him back for the Clowns tie, if for no better reason than to get back up to game speed. Would love it if he was back for Minnesota ready to launch at full stride.

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2009, 12:54 AM

The D needs to face an opponent like this in this game because we've been as flat as a surfboard on D the last two games. It'll be good to get back on stride and work on ramping up some intensity over the next two weeks so we have a head of steam going into the home tie with Minnesota.

I agree only in part, ASIAN. Would like to see him back for the Clowns tie, if for no better reason than to get back up to game speed. Would love it if he was back for Minnesota ready to launch at full stride.

Just curious about your use of the word "tie." At first, when I read the first sentence about the Minnesota game, I thought it was some kind of a typo, but then when you used the same term when later discussing the Cleveland game, I thought that it could not be a coincidence. Personally, I doubt that we will tie either team. :wink:

buckeyehoppy
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Just curious about your use of the word "tie." At first, when I read the first sentence about the Minnesota game, I thought it was some kind of a typo, but then when you used the same term when later discussing the Cleveland game, I thought that it could not be a coincidence. Personally, I doubt that we will tie either team. :wink:

RB, you caught me in another "Englishism": something Brits would use to describe something. A "tie", among Brits, is the same thing as a "matchup" or "game" here.

That's what happens when you watch too much English Premiere League.

And I doubt we'll play either team to a draw...we're gonna whip their @$$e$!!!