PDA

View Full Version : Arians: Parker still the starter

fordfixer
10-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Arians: Parker still the starter

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 9, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 47167.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647167.html)

Even after Rashard Mendenhall's breakout performance last Sunday, the pecking order in the Steelers' backfield hasn't changed.

"Willie Parker's a proven commodity," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of the injured veteran who is still first on the depth chart at running back. "When Rashard is (proven), then we'll re-evaluate him. I hope it gets to that problem. I'd like to have those two healthy at the same time."

The Steelers are not there yet.

Parker did not practice Thursday because of turf toe. The injury has put his availability for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Detroit Lions in doubt, although Arians remains hopeful Parker will play.

Mendenhall rushed for 165 yards and two touchdowns while starting in place of Parker in the Steelers' 38-28 win over the San Diego Chargers. If Mendenhall plays well against the Lions, Arians said, "then, yes, you've got to look to re-evaluate the number of carries both guys get."

In addition to Parker, tight end David Johnson (ankle) didn't practice yesterday.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), guard Chris Kemoeatu (ankle) and linebacker Andre Frazier (shoulder) were limited in practice.

Polamalu, who has been out since spraining his knee on Sept. 10, looks like a long shot to play in Detroit. He does, however, seem encouraged with the progress he has made this week.

"I got more reps in than I did (Wednesday)," the five-time Pro Bowler said. "I feel better."

Kemoeatu, coming off one of the best games of his career, said he plans on fully participating in practice today and playing Sunday.

Oviedo
10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Mendy can change that with another strong performance on Sunday.

The reality is a clear parallel the Foote/Timmons debate. Mendy just has so much more talent than FWP that it is inevitable that he will be the starter before long. Mendy just needs to learn how to use what he has and people forget that like Timmons he is a very young Pro (second youngest player on the team) since we drafted both when they are just twenty. He is going to get bigger, stronger and better.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't look at this like Foote-Timmons where Mendenhall needs to earn his stripes and slowly be allowed to show glimmers of what he can do.

Bottom line is Parker isn't even earning his stripes. Parker is a proven commodity Arians? Really? His best days were behind him before you took over!

I look at this more like Ben-Maddox. Maddox got injured and Ben took over from that point on. If Mendenhall has another great game against Detroit, and then Willie comes back and gets 75% of the carries, Ariens needs called into Tomlins office and relieved of his duties cause he is looney.

Lets just hope this is Arians/Tomlins way of continuing to push Mendenhall, and lets also hope they don't believe a word they are saying.

Its still Willies ball :roll: Mendenhall made Parker look like what is holding us back Sunday vs. the Chargers.

LasVegasGuy
10-09-2009, 11:40 AM
This is why this idiot needs to be fired. It's stupid comments like this that gives me no faith in this coaching staff. C'mon Tomlin how about you step in here and override this idiot. Willie has been done for years now. He absolutely stinks, has no more game but our coaching staff still believes he does. WTF! If I was Mendenhall I would have a monster game against Detroit then force the Steelers to trade me to some place where I have an opportunity to start.

No way, no how should anyone, especially a first round pick, be backing up an undrafted has been.

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
This is why this idiot needs to be fired. It's stupid comments like this that gives me no faith in this coaching staff. C'mon Tomlin how about you step in here and override this idiot. Willie has been done for years now. He absolutely stinks, has no more game but our coaching staff still believes he does. WTF! If I was Mendenhall I would have a monster game against Detroit then force the Steelers to trade me to some place where I have an opportunity to start.

No way, no how should anyone, especially a first round pick, be backing up an undrafted has been.

Mendenhall knows that Parker is an UFA after this season. He's fine where he is.

grotonsteel
10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Steelers don't want to lose Willie for rest of the season. They need Willie as a backup/change of pace back. Steelers don't want to hurt Willie's ego and in the meantime making sure Mendy's feet remain on the ground.

If Mendy runs for another 100yds in 20-25 carries against Detroit...Willie will be a token starter at best.

BURGH86STEEL
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM

No disrespected intended but this post is why you are not running a football team.
Coaches can't discard players for one week's worth of production out of other players. Tomlin and Arians realize that they will probably need Parker this season. If the coaches treat Parker like he has never done anything to contribute to this team's success, the other vets will take notice.

Parker has not been done for years. I don't know where you came up with that idea. He had an injury plagued season last season. Time will tell how things play out this year.

It is easy for fans to make these decisions when they don't have to deal with the players as people on a day to day basis. As I stated, the coaches realize they will need him this year. I am sure Tomlin has a lot of say in whether Parker starts or sits. I believe they can win with both RB's. Having 2 good RB's is a nice problem to have. Leave it up to some fans to spin those comments in a negative light.

phillyesq
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Steelers don't want to lose Willie for rest of the season. They need Willie as a backup/change of pace back. Steelers don't want to hurt Willie's ego and in the meantime making sure Mendy's feet remain on the ground.

If Mendy runs for another 100yds in 20-25 carries against Detroit...Willie will be a token starter at best.

:Agree

Especially considering Mendy's issues after the Bears game, I'm sure that the coaching staff is focused, in part, on keeping him grounded this week.

Arians can say that Parker is still the starter, but what does it mean? Parker hasn't practiced, and Mendenhall is going to be the guy starting on Sunday.

Steelerphile
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I thought Arians was being considerate and diplomatic towards Parker but in essence he is opening up the door for Mendenhall to take control of the running back position. Paraphrasing Arians, what Mendenhall has to do is have a good game against Detroit and he will receive strong consideration to become the starter.

What are the odds of this? I think they are heavily in Mendenhall's favor, what with Detroit still unlikely to being that good this year, and with the form that Mendenhall flashed last week.

Arians is not dumb.

LasVegasGuy
10-09-2009, 05:34 PM

No disrespected intended but this post is why you are not running a football team.
Coaches can't discard players for one week's worth of production out of other players. Tomlin and Arians realize that they will probably need Parker this season. If the coaches treat Parker like he has never done anything to contribute to this team's success, the other vets will take notice.

Parker has not been done for years. I don't know where you came up with that idea. He had an injury plagued season last season. Time will tell how things play out this year.

It is easy for fans to make these decisions when they don't have to deal with the players as people on a day to day basis. As I stated, the coaches realize they will need him this year. I am sure Tomlin has a lot of say in whether Parker starts or sits. I believe they can win with both RB's. Having 2 good RB's is a nice problem to have. Leave it up to some fans to spin those comments in a negative light.

If you don't think Parker is worthless you obviously live in a market that doesn't carry Steeler games. I'm not annoiting Mendenhall the starting postion because of one game I would be making him the starter based on he can't do any worse then Willie. For once let Willie earn the starting postion not the other way around. Why does Willie always get a free pass is it because he had a nice run 3 years ago? His best days are long behind him, I know that and I am sure the vets no that as well. So the only thing the vets will take notice on is that Arians obviously wants to win.

BURGH86STEEL
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM

If you don't think Parker is worthless you obviously live in a market that doesn't carry Steeler games. I'm not annoiting Mendenhall the starting postion because of one game I would be making him the starter based on he can't do any worse then Willie. For once let Willie earn the starting postion not the other way around. Why does Willie always get a free pass is it because he had a nice run 3 years ago? His best days are long behind him, I know that and I am sure the vets no that as well. So the only thing the vets will take notice on is that Arians obviously wants to win.

Nah, I watch every Steelers game. I know enough to know that Willie is not worthless. The Steelers organization feels as I do.

I know you are not anointing Willie anything, that is up to the Steelers coaches. I think they have a better grip on the situation then any fan. There are reasons why the Steelers coaches feel as though Willie can still play and be the starter. No fan knows what those reasons may be.

I don't think Willie ever got a free pass. He was an undrafted player that helped this team win 2 SB's. Parker's last good season was in 2007. Are his best days behind him? Time will tell. I think the coaches have faith that Parker can be an effective player for this team this season. I think several vets on the team feel the same way. Fans have the freedom to give up on players, coaches don't. If you ever played a team sport you would understand this concept.

feltdizz
10-09-2009, 09:04 PM

This is why you would fail as a coach... While it's obvious to all of us that mend is the future Arians and tomlin want mend to stay hungry and run like he is fighting to take fwp's job. Obviously mend has shown a laziness after success.

You seem like the type to ship an fwp out of town after one game of mend showing promise...

LasVegasGuy
10-10-2009, 11:17 AM

This is why you would fail as a coach... While it's obvious to all of us that mend is the future Arians and tomlin want mend to stay hungry and run like he is fighting to take fwp's job. Obviously mend has shown a laziness after success.

You seem like the type to ship an fwp out of town after one game of mend showing promise...

Obviously, you guys haven't read my posts for the last year and half about Willie. I am not getting rid of him because of one game but a combination of many games. While you guys were holding out hope for Willie I knew a long, long time ago it was time to kick him to the curb. So for a guy that would fail as a coach I saw the demise of Willie before anyone else.

snarky
10-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Are there really people who expect Arians or Tomlin to come out and say Mendy is the starter not because he is a proven commodity (which he isn't) but because Parker sucks? Read between the lines a little bit. If Mendy makes the most of this opportunity Parker is gone at the end of the year or maybe comes back as a cheap one-year back-up.

But there is no reason to burn a guy in the press.

stlrz d
10-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Are there really people who expect Arians or Tomlin to come out and say Mendy is the starter not because he is a proven commodity (which he isn't) but because Parker sucks? Read between the lines a little bit. If Mendy makes the most of this opportunity Parker is gone at the end of the year or maybe comes back as a cheap one-year back-up.

Well there is...if you're some message board poster who's only purpose is to come online and complain about things and "talk tough" about how you'd handle the team. ;)

BURGH86STEEL
10-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Obviously, you guys haven't read my posts for the last year and half about Willie. I am not getting rid of him because of one game but a combination of many games. While you guys were holding out hope for Willie I knew a long, long time ago it was time to kick him to the curb. So for a guy that would fail as a coach I saw the demise of Willie before anyone else.

We got out own Nostradamus right here. If you can provide me with the winning Power Ball numbers I will be very happy.

Parker's been in the league for 6 years. I suppose his demise (if one wants to call it that) began at the end of the 2007 season. That is not a long, long time ago Mr. Nostradamus.

Parker's had a very successful career with the Steelers. It is unfortunate that injuries have taken their toll on Parker. If this is his last year in the B&G, I am glad we had the opportunity to have him contribute to 2 SB winning teams.

RuthlessBurgher
10-10-2009, 03:19 PM
My Nostradamus skills tell me that we will be kicking Hines Ward to the curb following the 2013 season. :wink: And those lottery numbers will be 8, 23, 44, 49, 54 with a PowerBall of 3. :D

LasVegasGuy
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM

We got out own Nostradamus right here. If you can provide me with the winning Power Ball numbers I will be very happy.

Parker's been in the league for 6 years. I suppose his demise (if one wants to call it that) began at the end of the 2007 season. That is not a long, long time ago Mr. Nostradamus.

Parker's had a very successful career with the Steelers. It is unfortunate that injuries have taken their toll on Parker. If this is his last year in the B&G, I am glad we had the opportunity to have him contribute to 2 SB winning teams.

Thanks man, and by the way I didn't think Willie was worth a crap in 2007 as well. He may have had you guys fooled but not this one. While I was telling everyone he is a fraud all you guys had to say was he was the real deal. Funny how far he has fallen in a very short amount of time. And do you care to rephrase your statement that he helped us win 2 Super Bowls. What were his stats again in last years Super Bowl was the 19 carries for 53 yards with a long of 15 yards. So inessence he was 18 of 38 for an astounishing 2 yards a carry. Woo Hoo glad we had him otherwise things could have gotten ugly for us.

LasVegasGuy
10-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Well there is...if you're some message board poster who's only purpose is to come online and complain about things and "talk tough" about how you'd handle the team. ;)

You again??? I thought I already told you your act was old. I guess when you don't have anything else going on in your life and can post 6000+ times you have time to monitor all the posts. Every ask Jhansle if you can be a moderator, your on here enough and you would make a fine Planet Steelers representative with the everything is cool, everything is fine, in Rooney's we trust attitude.

stlrz d
10-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Parker's demise began with Cowher's resignation...got it? ;) ;) ;)

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2009, 12:41 AM

Thanks man, and by the way I didn't think Willie was worth a crap in 2007 as well. He may have had you guys fooled but not this one. While I was telling everyone he is a fraud all you guys had to say was he was the real deal. Funny how far he has fallen in a very short amount of time. And do you care to rephrase your statement that he helped us win 2 Super Bowls. What were his stats again in last years Super Bowl was the 19 carries for 53 yards with a long of 15 yards. So inessence he was 18 of 38 for an astounishing 2 yards a carry. Woo Hoo glad we had him otherwise things could have gotten ugly for us.

If you think Parker's stats in Super Bowl XLIII were bad, you should have seen Roethlisberger's stats from Super Bowl XL (9 out of 21 for 123 yards plus 2 inteceptions and no touchdowns). I knew we should have cut that guy right then after such an awful performance. :wink:

AngryAsian
10-11-2009, 03:37 AM

LVG, you know that every SuperBowl win is a culmination of wins throughout the regular and post seasons. Willie was most definitely an integral part of our SuperBowl Championships, whether you want to believe that or not. It was a collective team effort, with each player exexcuting various plays that get you one win, then collective wins, then into the playoffs, and then finally to the big dance. Take one piece or brick from that collective wall, and the wall may topple. Willie gave us great production. If his good years are behind him, then so be it. But I refuse to negate what the guy did for our franchise. He is a character guy, who gave us great value considering we didn't draft him. Our franchise has various names like Sidney Thornton, Benny Cunningham, Theo Bell, Loren Toews, Gerry Mullins, etc... that are obscure names to most football fans, but to us, these guys along with the elite HOFers of our beloved Steelers helped contribute to wins that secured our first 4 Championships.

Parker might not be one of your favorites, but you can't negate the value he's given this team.

BURGH86STEEL
10-11-2009, 07:16 AM

I really don't understand how Willie had the Steelers fooled all these years. RB's in the NFL tend to fall quickly. That is the nature of the RB position.

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, Willie helped this team win 2 SB's.

snarky
10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Didn't Parker rush for something like 1200 yards in 2007? I hope he continues his fraudulent ways.

snarky
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
By the way, in the history of the NFL there have only been fifteen guys to rush for over 1200 yards after turning 30. Parker is at an age where RBs start to fall out of the league or at least see their production fall off dramatically. Lack of production at this point will not mean that he was a fraud when in those seasons where he rushed for 1300 or 1400 yards. He's been a decent player for us and the fact that he's not going to Canton doesn't mean he deserves to be tossed aside like a pair of worn out shoes.

I'm sure the Steelers FO is very familiar with the fact that RBs tend to lose it around their 30th birthday and it is probably no coincidence that his contract is up at the end of this year.

But they also might be looking at/stuck with him as a best option as back-up next year and so there's no reason to burn the guy -- especially if the 'not burning' keeps Mendenhall hungry.

I guess this is another "In Rooney We Trust" post. I'm fine with that because I'm also fine with SB wins.

buckeyehoppy
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
For what we've invested in Willie Parker, he's been a classic bargain.

An UDFA? They've thrown him a bone money-wise, but hardly broke the bank on him. The largest investment the Steelers have made is time...and Willie hasn't wasted theirs like Troy Edwards or Fred Gibson did.

If we get anything out of Willie this year, so much the better. Arians is a fool if he thinks he can just plug him back in if Mendy has two or three games in a row like he did against SD. The RB position works best with the player with the greatest momentum and if Mendy can bust loose for three or four games in a row he will be the Steelers starting RB for the rest of the season...bank on it!

Willie has contributed mightily to the Steelers. I'm happy he has done it with us. But he is gone after this season. The Steelers won't negotiate with him beyond courtesy talks. Willie will be playing elsewhere next season. And I won't shed a tear because I'll know that the Steelers will have gotten his best game and that he won't be the same player somewhere else that he was in Pittsburgh.