PDA

View Full Version : Who is better ?

fezziwig
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Do you feel Troy was better at his position vs. Rod Woodson to his position ?

Who was the greater player to our team, Troy or Rod ?

JTP53609
10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
hard question, both were brilliant....
that question is like what is better, lasagna at an italian restaurant or prime rib at a steak house....

rpmpit
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
No disrespect to Rod, but I think Troy is the best player at his position than any player I have ever seen.

RussBII
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Troy is so good at his position he's changed what that position does in our defense. Rod was a GREAT corner, but he didn't rewrite the CB's job description like Troy has.

phillyesq
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Troy is so good at his position he's changed what that position does in our defense. Rod was a GREAT corner, but he didn't rewrite the CB's job description like Troy has.

I agree with this. If there was a job description for corner, Rod filled it as well as anybody. Troy not only does everything in the job description for safety, but he goes so far beyond in what he does.

frankthetank1
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
i would say troy but there is no doubt in my mind rod was better than deion. i think troy all around is a better safety than ronnie lot but the gap is a lot smaller than rod and deion.

AngryAsian
10-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Offensive Coordinators game plan around Troy, with Rod, they just didn't throw to his side of the field. Troy is a beast and can impact both the run and pass. I think Troy's field awareness has no peer.

Discipline of Steel
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Slightly OT but I agree with Clark that Polamalu should sit this one out. and maybe the next one and the one after that if necessary. I want to see him on the field in Dec-Jan-Feb.

Chadman
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, Chadman is a believer in longevity & the ability to perform at a high level consistantly. Troy is amazing, but has a couple of 'flaws' in his game- mostly due to trying to do too much. Admit it- you've seen him run himself out of plays due to his enthusiasm.

Rod is at a disadvantage here- out of sight, out of mind. He also played a long stretch of his career, the last part of it, away from the critical eyes of Steeler fans. Had he been in Black & Gold the whole time, Chadman suspects we wouldn't be in favour of Troy- just yet.

Rod had no real flaws. The fact that he played one side of the field acts against him here, as Troy floats all over the place. But as a pure footballer, Chadman would GRUDGINGLY take Rod Woodson over Troy.

BURGH86STEEL
10-08-2009, 08:52 PM
At this point, the edge goes to Woodson.

Shoe
10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
...pretty amazing how far Polamalu has come in a lot of eyes, since the days of Bustamalu.

I don't slurp on Rod Woodson's nuts as is standard for Steeler fans. I liked him cuz he was a very good player (I kinda dispute his perception as the guy who made the Steelers of the 90's... the heart n soul... I believe that player was 95).

AND--I like watching Polamalu even more than Woodson. And I've loved the pick since the day we got him.

That all being said, I'm gonna say Woodson right now. Injuries play a part (Polamalu always is knicked up.)

(BTW, you put a prime Rod Woodson, knowing what he did & his nose for the ball as an old man at Safety... $hit. You might have 20 INT's returned for TD.)

fezziwig
10-08-2009, 09:56 PM
To answer my own question, I'll take Troy. Rod does suffer on this poll due to lack of memory for some of us and others that were not old enough to witness his early Steeler years.

When Rod first showed up, he was dynamite and especially compared to the guys prior. Shazam ! do you guys remember Harvey Clayton ? That guy could have been the poster child at a burn unit.

Rod had speed like no other Steeler that I recall and with that speed, I believe Rod gambled a lot trying to peek in on the front action and then speeding back to take care of the secondary. Had Rod been a selfish player, a guy worried about his personal stats and just being a blanket on his particular receiver, he would have been a guy, no team would have thrown upon.

Having said that, I still think Mel Blount was better. When they change the rules to help the receivers or to keep them from getting all the contact, Mel still ruled supreme.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Well, two different questions here.

My first answer is that Troy is a better safety than RW was as a corner. Rod was a great corner, and did everything well that corners are supposed to do, but Troy does things that no safety does.

As far as importance to the team, I'd still have to say Woodson by a hair. :lol:

A great corner just has so much more value than a great safety. Even on this team think of this....Troy does some amazing things, but Ike is quietly making sure that you hear the names of Chad johnson and Vincent Jackson as little as possible.

feltdizz
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
troy by a mile..... i could never depend on woodson to impact a game......maybe it was because he was all we had in the defensive backfield but Woodson was never a savior on D in my eyes..

hell, maybe it's the hair.. but I know teams fear Troy more then they did Woodson and Troy covers more field.

NKySteeler
10-09-2009, 12:10 AM
IMO, it is "apples to oranges".... Both are great, but comparing to different "times" is hard to do.... Quality of players both on defense as well as offense has changed over this timeframe IMO.... Very tough call.... Tough enough that I will not be able to do so.... I would rather think they "both" were the best at their position at the time they played...

skyhawk
10-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Let us not forget that Rod's natural position was safety. Still, he dominated the CB position from EITHER side of the field.

He was so frickin good and talented he could play ANY position.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-09-2009, 08:23 AM
troy by a mile..... i could never depend on woodson to impact a game......maybe it was because he was all we had in the defensive backfield but Woodson was never a savior on D in my eyes..

hell, maybe it's the hair.. but I know teams fear Troy more then they did Woodson and Troy covers more field.

Woodson played with Willie Williams (average), Darren Perry (good), and Carnell Lake (great). Lake was so good that he moved to safety in our SB season in '95 and made the PB!! Woodson was hardly all we had back there.

steelblood
10-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Wow. Maybe you are too young to remember or maybe you've forgotten, but, in his prime, Woodson was an amazing punt returner. Furthermore, if you think shutting down the other teams best receiver with one player doesn't have a huge impact on the game, you are cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Also, Woodson was a better openfield tackler than Troy. Troy still misses too much. Like Troy, Woodson was very stout against the run and was adept at blowing up swing passes and screens. I saw his impact in every game he played.

Under Cowher, Troy was more of a heat-seeking missile. Sometimes he blew the whole thing up and sometimes he only got collateral damage. He seems more disciplined under Tomlin, and he is used a lot more in coverage instead of as a blitzer. This has allowed Troy to become a complete SS and a future hall of famer.

At this point, I'd say Rod by a small margin. But, if Troy continues on this path for a few more years, I'd probably switch my vote to Troy.

skyhawk
10-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Woodson played with Willie Williams (average), Darren Perry (good), and Carnell Lake (great). Lake was so good that he moved to safety in our SB season in '95 and made the PB!! Woodson was hardly all we had back there.

You must be young and don't remember. Woodson was a major savior on D every year he played. He impacted every game more than any Steeler since the 70's.

In 1993 he completely dominated and was named the defensive player of the year.

birtikidis
10-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Lake was a safety who moved to corner in 95, you had it backward.
my arguement is this: Rod is the 2nd best corner EVER, where does Troy rank among safeties? I'd put him as getting near the top 5 but not quite there.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Lake was a safety who moved to corner in 95, you had it backward.
my arguement is this: Rod is the 2nd best corner EVER, where does Troy rank among safeties? I'd put him as getting near the top 5 but not quite there.

Sorry, a small brain cramp - I meant Lake was so good he moved to corner in our SB season. I agree about Rod being great. My argument was with the post that said he was all we had in our D backfield. He played with some good players as does Troy.

flippy
10-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Troy hasn't left us, so there's no comparison....

Troy is a Steeler for life.

And as great an athlete as Rod was, Troy makes plays Rod couldn't dream of making. Troy can go down as the greatest defender of all time one day.

I think the better comparison that we'll all make one day is Lambert vs Troy. I believe those 2 fulfill similar roles in their respective eras.