PDA

View Full Version : Teammate Clark to Polamalu: Don't rush

fordfixer
10-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Teammate Clark to Polamalu: Don't rush

By Mark Kaboly, Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, October 8, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 46983.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_646983.html)

Ryan Clark is one of Troy Polamalu's closest friends.

And as one of his closest friends, Clark felt obligated to offer Polamalu some sound advice.

"I don't want him to (play Sunday against Detroit)," Clark said.

Clark is worried that the artificial surface at Ford Field will do more damage to Polamalu's recovering knee if his friend decides to play Sunday when the Steelers visit the Lions.

"I tore my PCL a few years ago, and (turf) is just tough to run on," Clark said. "It is a pounding. Some of them aren't very fluffy. Me personally, I would rather have him for the last 10 (games) or the last stretch rather than have him come out and injure himself again and set himself back."

Polamalu hasn't played since injuring his left knee during the second quarter of the season opener more than a month ago. At the time, he was said to need 3-6 weeks to heal. Today will be four weeks to the day that he sprained his MCL while trying to recover a blocked Rob Bironas field goal attempt.

Polamalu practiced Wednesday for the first time since his injury as he went through individual drills and a small portion of the team session with a bulky knee brace on his leg.

Polamalu isn't sure if he will try to play Sunday.

"It's tough telling," Polamalu said. "I haven't really gotten any practice reps. Also, practice isn't very similar to playing in a game."

Polamalu said that the fact the Steelers play on artificial turf isn't a determining factor if he will play, even though he had some negative history on the surface in the past. He hurt his knee on the turf at the Meadowlands two years ago against the N.Y. Jets and was lost for three weeks.

"Right now, we'll just see how it feels practicing on the grass," Polamalu said. "We'll cross that bridge (of playing in turf) when we get there."

The Steelers will play on an artificial surface only one more time this season when they travel to Baltimore seven weeks from now.

Receiver Shaun McDonald played two years in Detroit and believes Ford Field has one of the league's better artificial surfaces.

"All turf is kind of bad for your knees, but I kind of liked it," McDonald said. "It is not that bad. It is pretty good turf."

After Detroit on Sunday, the Steelers host Cleveland and Minnesota before having a bye. Polamalu could want to wait until the Nov. 9 game in Denver for his return, but that could be a stretch.

Hines Ward thinks Polamalu is close to returning. Ward suffered the same injury as Polamalu during the AFC Championship game last year and was able to make it back in two weeks for the Super Bowl.

"I am concerned about his safety more than anything else," Ward said.

Polamalu just started to run on his injured knee a week ago.

"Troy is a competitor," Clark said, "and if he can come back this week, he will."

papillon
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I hope Troy takes his friend's advice and takes this week off as well. If the defense plays good and keeps Detroit in check for 4 quarters then Cleveland could be another week of rest for Troy. I'm sure though if he sees the defense struggle in the 4th quarter again that he won't want to sit out the Cleveland game.

Pappy

fezziwig
10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I have to agree with Troy getting as much recovery time as possible. I would also like to think Troy is smart enough to know when he is actually ready to play without doing more damage.
Dang, you never know as a player when one play or that split second can change a season or even a lifetime for your career. Too bad this had to happen to our best defensive player.

JTP53609
10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
if troy can play at 100% than put him in this week for a few series just to get his feet wet again, than next week play him more and then he should be good for the viking game..i hope, but if he is not back at 100% yet than holf off on that, that denver game after our bye is looking bigger and badder each week, we may need him than