PDA

View Full Version : Still have hope for Sweed

steelsnis
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Listening to all of the talk about Braylon Edwards got me thinking (dangerous when that happens...)

ESPN said Edwards had 16 drops of on-target throws last year, and is tied with Brandon Marshall for the most in the past two seasons with 30 drops. 30 Drops!!!

I know the knee-jerk reaction to Sweed's struggles are to bury his azz deep on the bench and not let him get on the field, but the guy clearly has a ton of talent and from what the reports are, he worked his tail off during this past off-season to learn the playbook and get himself in the right spots.

Drops happen. They are a part of the game. But if we don't give Sweed a real chance to earn his keep, aren't we cutting off our nose to spite our face?

I'm not discounting his drops, don't get me wrong, they came in critical spots. But he truly hasn't been in the position to make up for it with consistent reps. It's a tough situation, I know, because to earn reps, he's gotta catch the ball. But at some point, I think we need to give him a real opportunity to see what he's got, and I think we should do that when we have the luxury of having a bunch of good WR's and not when one of them goes down w/the inevitable injury.

Just my random thoughts...

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Sweed gets activated against Detroit over McDonald and has 7 catches for 130 yards and a TD.

Would that be any more surprising than Mendenhall getting 31 touches for 191 combined rushing & receiving yards and 2 TD's just one game after Tomlin did not allow him to play on offense because of poor practice habits during the previous week?

NWNewell
10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
No doubt, drops do happen. But when the number of drops resemble the number of catches, that's a big problem!

papillon
10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Sweed gets activated against Detroit over McDonald and has 7 catches for 130 yards and a TD.

Would that be any more surprising than Mendenhall getting 31 touches for 191 combined rushing & receiving yards and 2 TD's just one game after Tomlin did not allow him to play on offense because of poor practice habits during the previous week?

Not at all, Wallace and Sweed may be the future Steeler tandem due to retirement and money.

Pappy

Djfan
10-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Detroit is a great place for him to get a few successful reps.

LordVile
10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
My HOPE, for sweed is that we never see him again!!

Me and my buddies got a running joke now, when someone F's up something. we say "You pulled a SWEED!!"

I'm gonna pick up on a hot chick: "Don't pull a SWEED on her."

LordVile
10-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Detroit is a great place for him to get a few successful reps.

Yeah, man. If we get up high in the points against the pussycats, put him out there and rep it to him. See how he does with less pressure.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Me and my buddies got a running joke now, when someone F's up something. we say "You pulled a SWEED!!"

I'll stick with the classic "Pull a Munson" for those situations.

http://bloggywood.moviezine.se/files/bloggywood_import/2007/01/kingpin.jpg

SteelHead
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
As Tomlin would put it "Sweed's story as a player for this team is not finished being written yet". However the first few chapters have stunk.

I don't think the number of drops matters in Limas case , it's the magnitude of them. Dropping 2 wide open touchdown passes that could have won games tends to get a lot of attention from coaches.

Sweed is a humble country boy with a good work ethic. He's a terrific athlete and has proven he can get open in the NFL , he just needs to catch the damn ball !!!

I truly hope he does pan out , the future of our WR core depends on it....

drprwnap
10-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Okay, I'm the one who started the Limas Sweed=Bust thread. Let me say this:

I WOULD LIKE NOTHING BETTER THAN TO BE WRONG AND HAVE THIS KID BE A GREAT RECEIVER. I WILL COME BACK AND GLADY EAT ALL THE CROW YOU GUYS THROW AT ME.

That said, I still stand by my opinion!

:tt2 :tt2

frankthetank1
10-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Okay, I'm the one who started the Limas Sweed=Bust thread. Let me say this:

I WOULD LIKE NOTHING BETTER THAN TO BE WRONG AND HAVE THIS KID BE A GREAT RECEIVER. I WILL COME BACK AND GLADY EAT ALL THE CROW YOU GUYS THROW AT ME.

That said, I still stand by my opinion!

:tt2 :tt2

i agree, i think sweed is a bum. i doubt his hands will ever improve much. it seems like that is the hardest skill to improve at for a player. i bet TO would own most or all receiving records if he eliminated half or a quarter of his drops. i hope sweed turns into an excellent wr and gets over this problem. i love to be wrong when it comes to something like this

LordVile
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM

I'll stick with the classic "Pull a Munson" for those situations.

http://bloggywood.moviezine.se/files/bloggywood_import/2007/01/kingpin.jpg

nice pick!! haha

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
When it's all said and done I think there will be lots of humble pie going around.

Flasteel
10-07-2009, 05:11 PM
As Tomlin would put it "Sweed's story as a player for this team is not finished being written yet". However the first few chapters have stunk.

I don't think the number of drops matters in Limas case , it's the magnitude of them. Dropping 2 wide open touchdown passes that could have won games tends to get a lot of attention from coaches.

Sweed is a humble country boy with a good work ethic. He's a terrific athlete and has proven he can get open in the NFL , he just needs to catch the damn ball !!!

Well said.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Aye, "A Need for Sweed"!

Mister Pittsburgh
10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
To me it comes down to what he does in practice, which none of us see. If he is catching everything thrown to him in practice, and had a couple big drops in games, I am sure he will be given every opportunit to redeem himself. If he is dropping half the passes thrown his way in practice, then he will quickly be written off as a bust.

Plus lets face it, chances are one of the starting WR will miss some time this year so he will get some more chances this season.

Mel Blount's G
10-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I hope he can recover mentally from the psych-obstacles he's set up for himself. I was concerned whether he'd be able to recover from it prior to the drop against the bungs. Now, my confidence that he'll overcome this "problem" is very low. Of course I really hope to be proven way off on this. He seems to have all the other necessary attributes to make him a successful NFL player.

And I can't say I agree that the future of our WR core depends on his recovery. I believe there are always WR gems hiding in NFL drafts i.e. Mike Wallace, Marques Colston, Hines Ward, etc..

Honestly, I'd like to see him start the next game with plays designed to get him the ball right out of the gate. The only way for him to progress is for him to face his fear in the real game setting. I truly believe that the longer he sits the worse it's going to get for him. Throw him the ball right off the los ala the throws Hines and Wallace get. Let him get a few "gimmees" under his belt, if there are such throws/catches for Limas right now

feltdizz
10-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Honestly... The anger over sweed and mend was legit. We went off of what we saw in games. There seems to be a group of people who ignore facts and visual proof to jump T the chance to say they were right about a pick. We all want our picks to pan out but until they do we will reserve the praise.

Just seems like some of us react to game film while others react to potential and unseen film. I'll cheer when I see Sweed catch an open TD in a GAME!!! Just like I cheered mendenhall in a Game..
Troy, Timmons, Holmes, etc...

I can't cheer what I don't see...

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
React and over react are two very different things.

"I'm concerned about Sweed's inability to hold onto the ball" is reacting.

"Sweed should be cut" is over reacting.

Now you know. :)

JTP53609
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
if we are up this week like how i expect us to be, than we need to put him in the game and have him catch some balls, i really think he will be okay, just gets some confidence in him...

steelsnis
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I guess I just don't see the value in ripping a guy or booing him when he's on your favorite team.

I know it's every fan's right to cheer or boo as they see fit but I just never understood how booing a guy if he screws up is going to make him play any better.

It may make you feel better but it certainly won't help the player.

Now, that being said, what the coaches do w/him behind closed doors is another matter, but it doesn't seem to be Tomlin's M/O to scream and yell at his guys.

papillon
10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I hope he can recover mentally from the psych-obstacles he's set up for himself. I was concerned whether he'd be able to recover from it prior to the drop against the bungs. Now, my confidence that he'll overcome this "problem" is very low. Of course I really hope to be proven way off on this. He seems to have all the other necessary attributes to make him a successful NFL player.

And I can't say I agree that the future of our WR core depends on his recovery. I believe there are always WR gems hiding in NFL drafts i.e. Mike Wallace, Marques Colston, Hines Ward, etc..

Honestly, I'd like to see him start the next game with plays designed to get him the ball right out of the gate. The only way for him to progress is for him to face his fear in the real game setting. I truly believe that the longer he sits the worse it's going to get for him. Throw him the ball right off the los ala the throws Hines and Wallace get. Let him get a few "gimmees" under his belt, if there are such throws/catches for Limas right now

I like this plan right here, give him confidence by calling his number and saying, "what's in the past is in the past, lets move forward." If they continue to let him sit and not give him chances he will become less confident. I hope he gets his chances; if he fails, he fails, I don't believe he will if given the opportunity. I've seen him make some pretty difficult catches in the pre-season games, so the ability is there.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM

I like this plan right here, give him confidence by calling his number and saying, "what's in the past is in the past, lets move forward." If they continue to let him sit and not give him chances he will become less confident. I hope he gets his chances; if he fails, he fails, I don't believe he will if given the opportunity. I've seen him make some pretty difficult catches in the pre-season games, so the ability is there.

Pappy

I agree. He dropped two bombs. To get them out of his head, start having him run the 10 to 15 yard patterns he looked awesome running in the preseason. He was money on those short to mid routes. build him up and then unleash the fury.

NorthCoast
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Like it or not, the only way Sweed sees significant playing time is thru injury or retirement. In the meantime, why rush the guy back into the game when he can get all the practice time he needs to learn how to catch the football?
Wallace may even inch toward No. 2 if Holmes stays in his funk very long. Wallace is everything we need in a WR and he can actually catch the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I guess I just don't see the value in ripping a guy or booing him when he's on your favorite team.

I know it's every fan's right to cheer or boo as they see fit but I just never understood how booing a guy if he screws up is going to make him play any better.

It may make you feel better but it certainly won't help the player.

Now, that being said, what the coaches do w/him behind closed doors is another matter, but it doesn't seem to be Tomlin's M/O to scream and yell at his guys.

The only athlete from my favorite team that I ever booed was Billy Tibbetts when he was on the Penguins, since he was a rapist and a prick. I booed him consistently, even when he scored goals for my team, because he was taking ice time away from another kid who deserved it. Everyone else, I supported. I may have screamed in frustration when Kordell Stewart threw interceptions in AFC Championship games, but I did not boo him. I reserve my booing for the opposition, the referees, and Billy Tibbetts.

papillon
10-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Like it or not, the only way Sweed sees significant playing time is thru injury or retirement. In the meantime, why rush the guy back into the game when he can get all the practice time he needs to learn how to catch the football?
Wallace may even inch toward No. 2 if Holmes stays in his funk very long. Wallace is everything we need in a WR and he can actually catch the ball.

Catching the football in practice isn't his problem is my guess. It's game action that seems to bring out the worst (especially, on the deep balls). He needs game success or failures and then the Steelers will know what to do with him as well. Sitting and catching balls in practice isn't going to boost his confidence until he can turn into live game action.

IMHO...

Pappy

aggiebones
10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I think Sweed will get enough chances to become a solid player somewhere along the line. But him being a 1 or a 2 might be a stretch.
We won a Super Bowl with Hines and Randle El and some other marginal player. Last season we won with Holmes and not much else. Nate didn't do much and Hines was an injured decoy.

Mel Blount's G
10-09-2009, 01:49 AM
I think Sweed will get enough chances to become a solid player somewhere along the line. But him being a 1 or a 2 might be a stretch.
We won a Super Bowl with Hines and Randle El and some other marginal player. Last season we won with Holmes and not much else. Nate didn't do much and Hines was an injured decoy.
Oh no you didn't. You didn't just call Geddy Ced a marginal player?! ==> :wink: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Nate did just enough to warrant him be taken seriously when he sped downfield which as we know opened things up underneath for S'tone, Ward, Miller, et al

Poor Ceddy. No respect I tells ya, no respect

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Oh no you didn't. You didn't just call Geddy Ced a marginal player?! ==> :wink: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Nate did just enough to warrant him be taken seriously when he sped downfield which as we know opened things up underneath for S'tone, Ward, Miller, et al

Poor Ceddy. No respect I tells ya, no respect

I don't think his girlfriend respected him either. And we all know what happened then.

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/386162_main.jpg :shock:

feltdizz
10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Doesn't matter what Sweed does in practice or underneath in 10 to 15 yard routes. Until he catches abomb it is what it is... He seems to have problems with the easy catches right now and until he gets over it by catching a long one it's a crap shoot having him in there.

I think every athlete has had the dream where theycan't make the easy play. My nightmare was the easy basket and no matter how soft I shot it the damn ball never went in. Sweeeeed is living it... We can't catch it for him he has to break out on his own. It's all in his head.

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Disagree, D. According to your definitions, most people on here were "reacting" after training camp last season when Sweed started dropping passes. Most were "reacting" over the course of the season when he was hit or miss. Many were "reacting", a little louder when he dropped the easy TD in the AFCC game last season. The "overreacting" didn't come until he is still doing it in the third game of year 2. I get why people are angry with him, but I also get why people are sticking with this guy. Much like RM, who showed the ability to make good reads and great cuts and the ability to hit the hole with authority, but couldn't hold onto the ball, Sweed has shown he can do everything but catch. Should he be cut? No, but at this point in his career, I wouldn't exactly say those who say he should be cut are overreacting all that much.

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2009, 12:51 PM
if we are up this week like how i expect us to be, than we need to put him in the game and have him catch some balls, i really think he will be okay, just gets some confidence in him...

Honestly, I think he needs to be targeted early and often. Garbage time catches with him may help a little, but there is always going to be an idea planted in his head of, "Yea, I showed I can catch, but can I do it when it matters."

Detroit's D is suspect, and with the fact they have to guard against the run, and watch out for guys named ward, holmes and miller, Sweed should be able to stretch the field. If confidence is his only problem, and it appears that's the case, let's take care of that problem, shall we. No garbage time catches, game changing catches.

stlrz d
10-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Disagree, D. According to your definitions, most people on here were "reacting" after training camp last season when Sweed started dropping passes. Most were "reacting" over the course of the season when he was hit or miss. Many were "reacting", a little louder when he dropped the easy TD in the AFCC game last season. The "overreacting" didn't come until he is still doing it in the third game of year 2. I get why people are angry with him, but I also get why people are sticking with this guy. Much like RM, who showed the ability to make good reads and great cuts and the ability to hit the hole with authority, but couldn't hold onto the ball, Sweed has shown he can do everything but catch. Should he be cut? No, but at this point in his career, I wouldn't exactly say those who say he should be cut are overreacting all that much.

Thank you for not over reacting! :)

BrownSteel
10-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Does anyone have the video of the drop? I could not watch the game or tape it, so I missed it altogether. It would help for me to see it if someone has it available. For the record, I'm in the camp that he should be given more time- not too much time however!!!

Thanks

stlrz d
10-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Does anyone have the video of the drop? I could not watch the game or tape it, so I missed it altogether. It would help for me to see it if someone has it available. For the record, I'm in the camp that he should be given more time- not too much time however!!!

Thanks

It might be in here somewhere. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200909270 ... #tab:watch (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092701/2009/REG3/steelers@bengals#tab:watch)

Basically he caught the ball, took two steps, went to the ground, his elbow hit the ground and the ball came out.

proudpittsburgher
10-10-2009, 08:31 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1d49fgsr]React and over react are two very different things.

Thank you for not over reacting! :)[/quote:1d49fgsr]

Yea, but there was quite a bit of distance between my post and the Bungles game. You should have heard me yelling at the TV screen when he dropped it. You might call that over-reacting. :HeadBanger :lol: