PDA

View Full Version : The Bus: Willie Parker is the starter

PSU_dropout43
10-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Bus Stops: Champs answer bell

Let's start with this simple fact: The champs are back. Plenty of people, myself included, have been critical of the Steelers. But a win against San Diego did plenty to show the critics that things aren't so bleak. Most importantly, the Steelers flashed a running threat in Rashard Mendenhall. We finally we got a chance to see what Pittsburgh was so excited about.

Let's start by giving some credit where it's deserved: the offensive line. I thought Chris Kemoeatu was especially punishing in his trap blocking, and I loved the way Justin Hartwig controlled San Diego's nose guard. Controlling that center-nose guard matchup is paramount against a 3-4 defense. Mendenhall walked into a situation where he could run downhill all game and I liked the kid's approach: one or two cuts and then downhill, physically aggressively mashing.

Here's a fallout question: Who's your tailback next week? Easy. Willie Parker is the starter, and if he's healthy you go with your starter. Mendenhall is merely an insurance policy right now; people have to understand that. The situation this week, starting an unproven guy like Mendenhall, told me that Willie must have been in truly bad shape. They played Mendenhall without really knowing what they had in him. And now that they know what they have, maybe Willie gets some more time to heal. But it's premature to think Mendenhall is anything more than a backup. When Willie has his burst back, you make the move back to him.

That said, I've had turf toe and it's especially difficult on a running back. Essentially it inflames the joint on the bottom of your big toe. If you plant to go left, for example, all of the weight of your body is on your right toe, and that's damn painful. You don't have the explosion you want. It's not something a back can hide, even if he wants to hurry back. If Willie's still in bad shape and he tries to practice this week, coaches will see it immediately. You can't hide that.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... z0TGsJbGWo (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/10/06/bus.stops/index.html?eref=T1#ixzz0TGsJbGWo)

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
When Willie has his burst back, you make the move back to him.

Problem is, Willie hasn't had a burst since 2007. Mendenhall had a burst on Sunday night. Roll with a guy who has the burst now, not someone who has not had a burst in 2 years. I think Willie can be an effective situational change-of-pace guy that keeps all of our RB's fresh for the long haul, but I don't see Willie suddenly regaining a burst at his age to take over the starting reins again.

rpmpit
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
With all due respect to JB, who really gives a crap about his opinion?? FWP hasn't been FWP in a long time. We have to stick with RM after seeing what he's capable of doing.

SteelHead
10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Willie Parker is done as a starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Or at the very least he should be. Ruthless is dead on , Willie has not been the same for quite some time now. The time to make the switch permanently is RIGHT NOW.

Mendy is motivated not only by Tomlin personally but by the opportunity he sees with Willie being down. Is every game for Mendy gonna look like SD.....nope , but what we saw out of him in ONE game should be enough to seal the deal.

The only way I see Parker getting the majority of touches even when/if he comes back healthy is if the coaching staff comes down with a serious case of STUPID or a Cowher like undying devotion to the vet.

Let the era of Rashard begin !

JTP53609
10-07-2009, 02:47 PM
love the bus and i say tihs with all due respect,
what the heck is he talking about....

aggiebones
10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Willie was the starting RB for 2 Super Bowls. He will not go quietly, but I too think he will go. Just not til the end of the season. They will go 60/40 Willie when he returns. Then a Mendi fumble will move it back to 75/25.
Though I think next year, Parker doesn't get a respectable offer. It will be interesting to see if he stays at the low price. Someone surely will offer him something solid. The Steelers have not made an offer yet to keep him.

Oviedo
10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
love the bus and i say tihs with all due respect,
what the heck is he talking about....

I think the Bus is writing with his heart about his "lttle bro." No way should Parker be starting ahead of mendenhall this week and I'm a huge FWP fan.

LordVile
10-07-2009, 04:11 PM
FWP, is a broken down race horse. That's why many were hoping for REDMAN to be active. ANYONE, to help the run game. Stick with Mendy (he played with VIGOR!!) , and have FWP for relief. There are only so many years you can play smash mouth football and still be effective.

FWP, thanks for the memories. Never forget yah.

SteelCrazy
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
With all due respect to JB, who really gives a crap about his opinion?? FWP hasn't been FWP in a long time. We have to stick with RM after seeing what he's capable of doing.

With all due respect, who gives a crap about your opinion, or mine? I liked the article and I love Bettis (named my dog after him).

However, he may a little biased because of his relationship to Willie, but you can't anoint someone, like I have..hehe, just because of one game against a weak defense that Willie ran all over last year.

I want Mendy to be the next Bus too, but we'll just have to wait and see what Tomlin does and how Mendy reacts to all of this.

rpmpit
10-07-2009, 08:07 PM

With all due respect, who gives a crap about your opinion, or mine? I liked the article and I love Bettis (named my dog after him).

However, he may a little biased because of his relationship to Willie, but you can't anoint someone, like I have..hehe, just because of one game against a weak defense that Willie ran all over last year.

I want Mendy to be the next Bus too, but we'll just have to wait and see what Tomlin does and how Mendy reacts to all of this.

FYI, I'm planning on getting a new Rotti pup for Armpit Jr. this Christmas. The two names I'm down to are Lambert and Bettis.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on what I said about JB. But when he became a member of the media, he went out of his way to show everyone he wasn't going to be pro-Steeler by saying some pretty harsh things about OUR team. I guess it backfired since he was dropped by NBC. But who knows why that happened.

Anyway, I said (and meant) with all due respect to Bettis. He is also one of my favorite all time Steelers. But I honestly don't care about his opinion on how MY team is run. Now he's just like every other media "expert" who doesn't really have a clue.

SteelCrazy
10-07-2009, 08:20 PM

FYI, I'm planning on getting a new Rotti pup for Armpit Jr. this Christmas. The two names I'm down to are Lambert and Bettis.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on what I said about JB. But when he became a member of the media, he went out of his way to show everyone he wasn't going to be pro-Steeler by saying some pretty harsh things about OUR team. I guess it backfired since he was dropped by NBC. But who knows why that happened.

Anyway, I said (and meant) with all due respect to Bettis. He is also one of my favorite all time Steelers. But I honestly don't care about his opinion on how MY team is run. Now he's just like every other media "expert" who doesn't really have a clue.

I have a 5 year old Boxer named Bettis, http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/bettis123-2-1.jpg.

I said with all due respect too, lol. No really, I know what you mean about Bettis and how he tried to distance himself from the Steelers. Cowher did the same thing, but it worked for him and he isnt quite as obvious about it either.

AngryAsian
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Put whatever it your smokin' down, BUS. I hope Mendenhall keeps his job in the starting line-up. This week should be more of the same of what we saw on Sunday night. Rewatching some of the highlights, one thing is for sure. Mendy has better vision of what's going on with the "development" of whatever running play he happens to be executing. Finds the holes quickly and when the holes aren't there he knows when to bounce out and has the burst of speed to yield positive yardage where there seems to be none. I like the way Mendy can run "violently" when tough yards are needed.

rpmpit
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Put whatever it your smokin' down, BUS. I hope Mendenhall keeps his job in the starting line-up. This week should be more of the same of what we saw on Sunday night. Rewatching some of the highlights, one thing is for sure. Mendy has better vision of what's going on with the "development" of whatever running play he happens to be executing. Finds the holes quickly and when the holes aren't there he knows when to bounce out and has the burst of speed to yield positive yardage where there seems to be none. I like the way Mendy can run "violently" when tough yards are needed.

When in doubt, violence is always the answer :twisted:

rpmpit
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM

I have a 5 year old Boxer named Bettis, http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/bettis123-2-1.jpg.

I said with all due respect too, lol. No really, I know what you mean about Bettis and how he tried to distance himself from the Steelers. Cowher did the same thing, but it worked for him and he isnt quite as obvious about it either.

Cute pup!! I have a six year old Rotti named Harley. She's also known as Mrs. Harley Pants :D

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1924/155/79/788317737/n788317737_1845388_5991.jpg

But like I said, I think its time for armpit jr. to have a puppy. I'm leaning towards Bettis as his name. Or Lambert. Or Silverback :lol:

sd steel
10-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Here is a response to some of yinz stiller fans from FWP himself:

http://www.stillernation.com/phpbb/view ... =2&t=30728 (http://www.stillernation.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30728)

Uncle Rico
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Exactly right. Parker's constant +1 and -1 runs have started to bore the hell out of me. You wait and wait for him to "break the big one" and it never seems to happen anymore. At least Mendenhall can give you 3-4 yds plus some big runs as well.