PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Kemo?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Looked like he got banged up pretty hard, barely able to walk off the field, looked like maybe a knee.

He did come back in soon after, but was clearly crawling, had to tackle the right DE to keep the DE from getting past him.

Has anyone heard (post-game comments?) what his story is? Anyone notice that Ramon Foster (who???) is 2nd string LG AND RT? :shock:

Mister Pittsburgh
10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Was wondering the same thing yesterday morning. I swear on my commute to work I saw Kemo take the East Street exit off of 279 and turn toward AGH around 8:15 or so in the morning.

He was at Raw with Ben walking around though, climbing into the ring and stuff and I didn't notice a limp.

I did notice Foster slipping in there at LG when he got hurt and that surprised me. I hit rewind to watch his one play he was in there. He stood up the defender he was blocking one on one.

JTP53609
10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
lets hope he is okay, he had the game of his life and it is something to build on for sure..

D Rock
10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
yeah that was definitely a surprise to see Foster get the nod at LG when we know Legursky was on the active roster and had been getting those snaps in the preseason.

That's a fantastic sign tho that Foster has already come in as an UDFA and jumped over a couple guys with more experience to snag a top backup spot, especially being able to play a swing role.

Kind of takes the sting out of the suspect draft picks that are made sometimes (Urbik and Hills in this case) when they continually find UDFAs that turn into capable players.

James Harrison/Alonzo Jackson

Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, and Arnold Harrison/Bruce Davisa and Rian Wallace

Darnell Stapleton, Doug Legursky, and Ramon Foster/ countless crappy O-Lineman

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
He looked fine on RAW!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Going to the official depth chart, the lack of depth on the O-line is startling. Of the 5 O-line positions, there are no "3rd stringers", and Ramon Foster is holding down 2 of the 5 spots.

I wonder if that is going to be the biggest thing to hurt us this year.

Oviedo
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Going to the official depth chart, the lack of depth on the O-line is startling. Of the 5 O-line positions, there are no "3rd stringers", and Ramon Foster is holding down 2 of the 5 spots.

I don't think that is different than any other year. They have pretty much carried the same number of OL for the last 5+ years, + or - one player. There has never been a third string on the OL. If anything since Tomlin has been here they have consciously planned to have player demonstrate the ability to play multiple positions versus simply aligning them with a single position.

Left Tackle 78 Max Starks 66 Tony Hills
Left Guard 68 Chris Kemoeatu 73 Ramon Foster (Can play either G or RT)
Center 62 Justin Hartwig 64 Doug Legursky (also plays both Guard)
Right Guard 79 Trai Essex (Also can play LT) 65 Kraig Urbik (both Guard psoitions plus RT)
Right Tackle 74 Willie Colon 73 Ramon Foster

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM

I don't think that is different than any other year. They have pretty much carried the same number of OL for the last 5+ years, + or - one player. There has never been a third string on the OL. If anything since Tomlin has been here they have consciously planned to have player demonstrate the ability to play multiple positions versus simply aligning them with a single position.

Right Guard 79 Trai Essex (Also can play LT) 65 Kraig Urbik (both Guard psoitions plus RT)

:Agree The number of players devoted to the o-line is not out of the ordinary. Nine OL seems pretty standard for us (only occassionally will we keep as few as eight or as many as ten). The main concern that I had coming into the season was that none of the back-up o-lineman had taken even a single meaningful NFL snap at the start of the season (Legursky, Foster, Hills, and Urbik showed some promise in the preseason, but lacked any regular season experience).

Oviedo
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM

:Agree The number of players devoted to the o-line is not out of the ordinary. Nine OL seems pretty standard for us (only occassionally will we keep as few as eight or as many as ten). The main concern that I had coming into the season was that none of the back-up o-lineman had taken even a single meaningful NFL snap at the start of the season (Legursky, Foster, Hills, and Urbik showed some promise in the preseason, but lacked any regular season experience).

I think that is a salary cap consideration. You tied up a pretty good % of your cap on the OL with Max's and Kemo's contract plus Colon's tender. That doesn't leave you much of an allocation for veteran back ups who are typically more expensive.

I'm sure thye have a % of cap target for each unit on the team, e.g. OL, DL, LB, etc. IMO if you get out of balance with regards to those targets that is when you run into cap problems. That is why it will be tough to keep Willie Colon if there is a CBA (don't think there will be) or FWP (unless he takes a discount).

I'm actually more concerned with the back ups at LB than OL.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Here's what Coach T had to say about Kemo's injury, from post-game heroes transcription of today's press conference:

"Chris Kemoeatu has a left ankle that he injured in the game and he was able to come back and finish. It may limit him a little bit here early in the week."

Sounds hopeful for the Lions game!

BURGH86STEEL
10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Hopefully, Kemo will be fine. The guy seems to be coming into his own and getting better every week. That can be said for the Oline as a group also.

It is early but it appears the Steelers were correct to offer Kemo, Hartwig, and Starks extensions.

Starlifter
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
the whole line had a monster game this week. i sure hope that trend continues. i was focusing on kemo from the stands and every time he pulled good things happened. on the other hand if there's a needed week off to get well, this is it.

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Here's what Coach T had to say about Kemo's injury, from post-game heroes transcription of today's press conference:

"Chris Kemoeatu has a left ankle that he injured in the game and he was able to come back and finish. It may limit him a little bit here early in the week."

Sounds hopeful for the Lions game!

Very glad to hear it was an ankle problem and not a knee. I couldn't tell during the game. Of course, that's a lot of weight to be shifting around on a bum ankle, but ankle is better than knee.