PDA

View Full Version : What can we read into this - Redman released?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Apparently Eye Sack Redman was released (as below). Does this mean Tomlin thinks he's got enough of a short yard bruiser in Mendenhall? Or was there a D-line injury that we need Eason to cover?

From the official Steelers website:

Steelers Re-Sign Defensive End Nick Eason; Release Running Back Isaac Redman

PITTSBURGH Ė The Steelers re-signed defensive end Nick Eason to their active roster today, the team announced.

Eason was released on Saturday prior to the Steelersí Week 4 matchup against the San Diego Chargers. He was originally signed by the Steelers as a veteran free agent in 2007, but had been inactive for the teamís first three games this season.

The Steelers made room for Redman on their 53-man roster by releasing rookie running back Isaac Redman. Redman was signed to the teamís active roster over this past weekend but did not see action against the San Diego Chargers yesterday. He spent the first three games of the 2009 season on the teamís practice squad after signing with the team last April as an undrafted rookie out of Bowie State.

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 07:11 AM
It's confusing because the story said the Steelers made room for Redman on the roster by releasing Redman. :shock: Anyway, isn't this what they have to do to put him back on the practice squad? He has to clear waivers again, correct?

JTP53609
10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
It's confusing because the story said the Steelers made room for Redman on the roster by releasing Redman. :shock: Anyway, isn't this what they have to do to put him back on the practice squad? He has to clear waivers again, correct?

haha i read it 3 times just to make sure i was not losing my mind...

SteelBucks
10-06-2009, 07:51 AM
It means they feel Mendenhall/Moore can carry the load while Parker is out and they want DL depth by resigning Eason. It also means that they had to release Redman if they want to re-sign him to the practice squad (assuming no other team picks him from waivers).

Oviedo
10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
It simply means that Redman was a one game convenient solution for RB depth and there is no grand plan to play him at all this season unless injuries force them to. The fact that they are willing to risk him on waivers pretty much shows that while the'd like to keep him they are willing to risk losing him.

Obviously the coaches who watch him everyday are less sure he is ready for the Pro Bowl than the fans who watched him in the pre season.

D Rock
10-06-2009, 08:02 AM
It means they feel Mendenhall/Moore can carry the load while Parker is out and they want DL depth by resigning Eason. It also means that they had to release Redman if they want to re-sign him to the practice squad (assuming no other team picks him from waivers).

can another team now sign him from waivers to their practice squad as well or would he have to go to an active 53 roster?

Either way, it really shouldn't be a problem. If any team wanted him they could have already taken him, and he likely would stay here where he knows the system rather than choose to sign to another team's PS.

Jooser
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
What it means is a few things to me.

1. Mendy can run the ball with power and be a short yardage back.

2. We have Detroit next, then a bye week. WP will probably dress, but only play if needed against the Kittens.

3. We need Eason back to spell the DL when they're gassed.

4. Doug Legursky is one hell of a GL blocking FB and helps us out in the redzone. :tt2

The move makes sense. I think they only brought Redman back because there were so many unanswered questions about Mendy prior to last Sunday Night's game. Those questions have now been answered, and Redman isn't needed now.

SidSmythe
10-06-2009, 08:15 AM
What it means to me is:
Redman is going back to the PS and Nick Eason is going back on the 53 man roster.

Not that hard people!! Not that hard!!!! :D

MeetJoeGreene
10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
It simply means that Redman was a one game convenient solution for RB depth and there is no grand plan to play him at all this season unless injuries force them to. The fact that they are willing to risk him on waivers pretty much shows that while the'd like to keep him they are willing to risk losing him.

Obviously the coaches who watch him everyday are less sure he is ready for the Pro Bowl than the fans who watched him in the pre season.

Well said. I can't improve upon that

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
It means nothing. Redman was brought up for depth against SD. Parker looks to return this week so Redman will (most likely) be signed back to the PS because I believe they still have his spot open. Eason is back on the roster for depth. A move we have seen in the past. It is just a stupid system that they want to change where a team can activate from the PS when they create "the new injury list" and different levels of IR. I guess what they are looking at doing is creating a list where you can list a player as out for a game and be able to promote a PS player for that week. Then after the Monday night game he becomes a PS player and you didn't have to clear a roster spot to bring him up. A PS player can be signed by any team to their 53 at any time so it isn't like you are protecting him. You are protecting a 53 man who needed to be released to promote the PS player. This process is creating dead money and paperwork that is really unnecessary. The other issue they want to work on is the IR. They want to create an IR list that is short term so the player can be brought back after 8 weeks. The problem here is it could create additional costs. A league doctor would have to do the physical so teams didn't abuse this list to hide players and create unfair advantages. This list might be a little harder to get done. Most of these issues are being looked at because of the discussion of adding 1-2 games.

Jooser
10-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I guess it means nothing to me either. :lol:

calmkiller
10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
This is just an example of the 54 man roster trick. You release a guy that already has a guaranteed pay check and bring up a guy off the PS that feels a need. Parker was hurt this week so we were short RB depth. If you wish to draw a conclusion it would be that Parker will play this week. That is all that should be drawn from it.

BDESteel
10-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I hope going into the game Redman new he wouldn't be there after that game or that could be some serious emotional sht to deal with.

ikestops85
10-06-2009, 11:17 AM

So what you are saying is the coaches and Front Office personnel know more about the team and players abilities than us renown message board posters. :shock: Say it ain't so. :moon

:lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2009, 11:18 AM
2. We have Detroit next, then a bye week. WP will probably dress, but only play if needed against the Kittens.

:brownssuck , but I still wouldn't consider them to be a bye week. :wink:

The schedule is @ Detroit, vs. Cleveland, vs. Minnesota, and then the bye on November 1st.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
It means nothing. Redman was brought up for depth against SD. Parker looks to return this week so Redman will (most likely) be signed back to the PS because I believe they still have his spot open. Eason is back on the roster for depth. A move we have seen in the past.

$$$
It doesn't mean the Steelers are through with Redman, any more than releasing Eason last week meant the Steelers were through with him. Right now, they place some value on both of these players, and will make the appropriate roster moves to try and keep them in case they need them.

Oviedo
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM

So what you are saying is the coaches and Front Office personnel know more about the team and players abilities than us renown message board posters. :shock: Say it ain't so. :moon

:lol: :lol:

I would never make such a wild and crazy statement insinuating that professionals know more than fans. Especially since the onset of Fantasy Football which has made average fans experts and more informed than professionals within the NFL.

aggiebones
10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't get the obnoxious statement about fan's on message board having no knowledge. While I agree versus coaches, etc., it is precisely why we have these boards. To talk about stuff.
Why even the great Oviedo who looks down his nose at the rest of our ideas had the gall to suggest Townsend should be starting in front of Carter while Troy is out (which I thought was ridiculous). :Blah We all have our opinions.

Clearly we had a HUGE goalline problem dating back a good ways. Most wondered why Summers was on the roster cause he wasn't the answer for any question at least now. I think everyone knows now what happened:
They didn't want to have to pay Carrie Davis a full veteran salary, so by having him miss a few games, they get him on the cheap. Summers is more likely maybe to run to a new team, so they put him on IR with a mystery back injury. Must have tweeked something cramming his head into the ground while blocking. They get to store Summers, get CDavis on the cheap and Redman is in the wings.

Now my opinions on Redman playing in goallie were as much about getting Summers out of there and finding someone that could do short yardage.
Mendi and Parker had not been successful yet but we all knew Mendi had potential and Tomlin was ALSO critical of him. Hmm, he had the same opinion I did.
Mendi handled it last week, VERY well. If he can keep that up, then Redman is of no value.
I suspect next season that we'll have Mendi, Moore and Redman with Parker gone. But who knows. Alot can happen from now to then.