PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu eyes return against Lions

fordfixer
10-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Steelers' Polamalu eyes return against Lions

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 46613.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_646613.html)

Following another sketchy fourth-quarter performance by the Steelers' defense, all eyes will be on All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu. Polamalu hasn't played since spraining his left knee in the Steelers' Sept. 10 season opener. He ran last week, and he may try to practice this week with the goal of returning to the field Sunday when the Steelers visit the Detroit Lions.

"I've been pleased with his progress," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 38-28 win over the San Diego Chargers on Sunday night. "We'll see where he is as we push toward game time."

Polamalu has the Steelers' only interception this season, and the Steelers have had trouble shutting down opposing offenses in the fourth quarter of games. San Diego needed just seven plays to score two touchdowns against the Steelers' defense in the fourth quarter.

"This is a 60-minute ball game, not 59 or 58," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "It's something we can work on."

Jeff Reed said he had put the two field goals he missed in a 17-14 loss to the Chicago Bears on Sept. 20 behind him. But it sure didn't hurt for him to make a pressure kick as he did by booting a 46-yard field goal to seal the Steelers' win over the Chargers.

"I want those back, but you can't," Reed said of his fourth-quarter misses in Chicago. "Everybody needs to relax, including myself. I'm confident I'm good. You've just got to look forward."

The Steelers re-signed defensive end Nick Eason on Monday and released rookie running back Isaac Redman. Redman, who the Steelers signed Saturday because of depth concerns at running back, will likely be re-signed to the practice squad. Eason signed with the Steelers in 2007. He had been inactive for the Steelers' first three games this season.

DIGITS

5.8 Yards Rashard Mendenhall is averaging a carry.

JTP53609
10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
im going to go out on a limb here and say.....if troy comes back than our defense will improve....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Well, if the D problems are because Polamalu is missing from the lineup, then I wouldn't want him back against the Lions if he is anything less than 100%.

If the risk of re-injury can be lowered by resting him another week, I wouldn't care if he was 99.99% recovered - I'd be in favor of sitting him. We need him for the long term this season.

Jooser
10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
:Agree

Oviedo
10-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Well, if the D problems are because Polamalu is missing from the lineup, then I wouldn't want him back against the Lions if he is anything less than 100%.

If the risk of re-injury can be lowered by resting him another week, I wouldn't care if he was 99.99% recovered - I'd be in favor of sitting him. We need him for the long term this season.

I hope Troy doesn't come back until after the Cleveland game. This is a marathon not a sprint and we need him more in the second half of the season than we do for Detroit or Cleveland.

MeetJoeGreene
10-06-2009, 08:17 AM
:Agree

+1

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 08:33 AM
yea, same here. If we can't beat the Lions without Troy, we have bigger problems then just not having troy in the secondary. And if there is any chance he can reagrivate it by coming back too soon, then sit him. But I'll be there in the crowd with my Troy jersey on just in case. :) :tt2 Really pumped about this sunday.

Shoe
10-06-2009, 05:35 PM
We do want him for the Minnesota game later this month... and you would prefer not have him come in to that week with no on-field time. If he's ready, let's get him in there now.

NKySteeler
10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
As already said my many... We can beat Detroit and Cleveland without him. Heck, in the coming two weeks somehow the D might come together enough that we won't need him till after the bye... If he's 100%, I'd no doubt love to have him for the Minn game, but if not, let him rest till after the bye... We're definitely gonna need him the second half of the season, and I'd hate to see him try to come back too soon and have it be a nagging issue for the remainder of the year.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
agree with shoe on this one.

it would be nice to get him some game time before the vikings come to town. even if it's just in the nickel package or something. i would not play him this week for sure.