PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Benched

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
From his point of view, he probably should have stayed. I never felt comfortable with him in there though, I don't think I ever saw him throw a pass that wasn't 100mph. Still, I feel badly for him.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/footb ... 6-sun.html (http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/football/2009/09/29/11180976-sun.html)

TAMPA, Fla. -- The winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers benched starting quarterback Byron Leftwich and replaced him with second-year pro Josh Johnson, who takes over following one of the worst offensive performances in team history.

Coach Raheem Morris made the change yesterday, a day after the Bucs fell to 0-3 while gaining just 86 yards in a 24-0 loss to the New York Giants. Leftwich completed seven of 16 passes for 22 yards and one interception.

The Bucs entered the game averaging 401.5 yards and 20.5 points per game.

"I was surprised because I felt like Byron had done a good job and that it was just one of those days where nothing went right," Johnson said. "But had I been the quarterback, I know I would have taken the fall ... That's the reality of being a quarterback in this league."

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Unless financials are the only reason for the move, and I think it's pretty clear that isn't the case, you can't help but think it was the wrong move for Lefty. I disagree with you in that I WAS comfortable with him backing up Ben, moreso than Batch, and I like Charlie Batch. I just felt more comfortable with Lefty. In a way, I feel bad for him.

JTP53609
10-06-2009, 08:47 AM
you know what is HILLARIOUS...when people said after the washington game, that lefty should be the qb for the steelers, i remember on that espn show with the four reporters and the one host, they were talking about a qb contraversy and half the panel said that lefty should be the qb hahaha, "experts" are funny

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 09:27 AM
you know what is HILLARIOUS...when people said after the washington game, that lefty should be the qb for the steelers, i remember on that espn show with the four reporters and the one host, they were talking about a qb contraversy and half the panel said that lefty should be the qb hahaha, "experts" are funny

I like Lefty, but not enough to sound like an idiot. And, just to be fair, we had our share of "experts" on this board who were calling for Lefty to start. Just goes to show you how some people think, and why I would never want to share a Steelers game and a beer with.

phillyesq
10-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Unless financials are the only reason for the move, and I think it's pretty clear that isn't the case, you can't help but think it was the wrong move for Lefty. I disagree with you in that I WAS comfortable with him backing up Ben, moreso than Batch, and I like Charlie Batch. I just felt more comfortable with Lefty. In a way, I feel bad for him.

:Agree

I thought that Lefty was/is a better backup option than Batch, especially if the backup would have to start a few games.

I also can't fault him for leaving -- he wanted an opportunity to start, and knew that he'd never get it in Pittsburgh.