PDA

View Full Version : Ever notice...

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
How the "fake" fans disappear from the message board anytime something goes right for the team. Guess thye need to climb back under their rocks waiting for something else to go wrong so they can make a feeble attempt to put forth their bankrupt positions just to criticize the organization.

snarky
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
We have a fair number of concern trolls here. I'm pretty sure a handful of the bridge jumpers are Browns fans with nothing better to do.

feltdizz
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
LVG was begging for a SD comeback.. I think I saw him on the field throwing a block for Gates..LOL!!!

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
LVG was begging for a SD comeback.. I think I saw him on the field throwing a block for Gates..LOL!!!

An I wrong in thinking thet LVG was once a quality poster? I don't remember him ever being this trool-like, but maybe I'm wrong.

Djfan
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM

An I wrong in thinking thet LVG was once a quality poster? I don't remember him ever being this trool-like, but maybe I'm wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. Seem to remember his early Trib days as worth while. Was that in the Cowher era?

ikestops85
10-05-2009, 02:45 PM

For some reason he has a hard-on for Tomlin. He takes any shot he can against the guy.

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 03:12 PM

For some reason he has a hard-on for Tomlin. He takes any shot he can against the guy.

That is my recollection. When I first started paosting I use to enjoy what he would write. Now I typically ignore it because it is the same repackaged anti Tomlin garbage. Not sure if he is related to Whisenhunt or Grimm but once Tomlin got here he has ignored everything good that has happened and only comes on when he can take a cheap shot at Tomlin.

frankthetank1
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
i dont mind the negative nellies as long as they make valid points, but when its all negative all the time its too much. its only year three with tomlin and i already like him more than cowher. sure there are things the steelers and tomlin do i dont agree with but all in all there isnt any nfl team that is this good year in and out. some people just have an agenda that they have to let be known god knows why. if the steelers were a losing team under tomlin im sure no one would like the guy much

D Rock
10-05-2009, 04:58 PM
was there a SinCity someone or other?

perhaps you're confusing the two?

NC Steeler Fan
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM

OMG, too funny! I thought of him last night too when SD started to come back on us!

Djfan
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM

OMG, too funny! I thought of him last night too when SD started to come back on us!

Man! Talk about making a bad situation worse!

ghettoscott
10-05-2009, 05:51 PM
at least that tool harrynutsack ( :loser ) isnt around....that guy was a real douche.

LouSteel
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Reading some of his posts, he makes it pretty apparent why he dislikes Tomlin and instead prefers Whisenhunt. :lol:

Discipline of Steel
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
The Chicken Little Society is out of bullets this week.

jj28west
10-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Tencee Madison or something like that. Another Tribune Legend in his own mind. Had a h@rd on for Ben. Must have been turned down an autograph or something or Ben refused to visit his JR High School.

What about Tommy. I think there was something really wrong with the kid. Never saw someone start so many threads like "If the Steelers lose I will never watch another game for the rest of my life"

Djfan
10-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I truely miss C*ockface. I looked forward to his posts. They were humor in the extreme.

feltdizz
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
LVG was quality but I noticed he kept harping on the Jags loss in the playoffs as proof Tomlin can't be trusted.

I just don't understand how a fan can expect a rookie coach to win a SB or he is a bust.

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I just don't understand how a fan can expect a rookie coach to win a SB or he is a bust.

I don't understand how a fan can watch a second year coach win a SB and still think he is a bust.

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 09:31 AM

I don't understand how a fan can watch a second year coach win a SB and still think he is a bust.

winner winner chicken dinner. There are some people who's ego's won't let them say something like, gasp, I was wrong, gasp. So when guys like that pick a side, they will never leave that side, no matter what. And in most cases, it makes them come off as foolish in the process. It's a neverending pursuit for them.

anger 82&95
10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

Jooser
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I thought HHH was Archie Bunker reincarnate.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt324/jcordj66/archie_bunker.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

It wasn't about his predicting the demise of Parker, rather he had Mendenhall starting week 1 one of his rookie season over FW. I believe that's what most were arguing, but he seemed to think everyone who didn't want to start a rook over thousand-yard back was an idiot. I don't think anyone had a problem with seeing that Mendenhall had the potential to end up being a more complete back eventually. But if memory serves me correctly, that's wasn't his take, or at least that's not how he presented it.

papillon
10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Dissenting opinion is good for the board; what isn't good for the board is being so steadfast in your belief that you believe anyone that disagrees with you to be an idiot.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Dissenting opinion is good for the board; what isn't good for the board is being so steadfast in your belief that you believe anyone that disagrees with you to be an idiot.

Pappy

Bingo. You are so wise, oh pappy. :lol:

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I think Tomlin is a good coach. However, there are times when he is inconsistent in his decisions and that could just be because he is new at being the main man. I do believe that his real coaching skills will be put to the test when this team starts on its downward spiral. I think all teams go through cycles, especially the good ones, and maybe we are starting to see that now with some of the veterans getting up there in age and past their primes.

Tomlin was given the reigns of a team already with a solid nucleus and a franchise QB. He didn't take over the Rams or Raiders, he took over a winning franchise with a lot of talent. Some of that talent will/is inevitably be leaving via FA, retirement, etc. It's how he and his staff who he is the boss of, continues to build the entire 'team'. This also includes what he does in the off season when he evaluates his coaching staff and decides who he keeps and lets go.

Let's remember that Switzer won a SB after JJ left the Cowgirls. I'm not saying Tomlin is another Switzer, but Switzer only won that SB against us, because of what JJ and his staff already had. History showed that Switzer was eventually fired because he couldn't keep up with the losses due to retirement, etc. Tomlin's time for this adjustment is coming soon, and we'll see how he handles it. I think he will handle it fairly well, but that's just a guess......

:tt1

BDESteel
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I think Tomlin is a good coach. However, there are times when he is inconsistent in his decisions and that could just be because he is new at being the main man. I do believe that his real coaching skills will be put to the test when this team starts on its downward spiral. I think all teams go through cycles, especially the good ones, and maybe we are starting to see that now with some of the veterans getting up there in age and past their primes.

Tomlin was given the reigns of a team already with a solid nucleus and a franchise QB. He didn't take over the Rams or Raiders, he took over a winning franchise with a lot of talent. Some of that talent will/is inevitably be leaving via FA, retirement, etc. It's how he and his staff who he is the boss of, continues to build the entire 'team'. This also includes what he does in the off season when he evaluates his coaching staff and decides who he keeps and lets go.

Let's remember that Switzer won a SB after JJ left the Cowgirls. I'm not saying Tomlin is another Switzer, but Switzer only won that SB against us, because of what JJ and his staff already had. History showed that Switzer was eventually fired because he couldn't keep up with the losses due to retirement, etc. Tomlin's time for this adjustment is coming soon, and we'll see how he handles it. I think he will handle it fairly well, but that's just a guess......

Really, Woodley for Porter, Timmons for Foote, Mendy for Parker, Wallace for Sweed who was supposed to be for Washington, plus all the o-line changes. I think Coach T has already shown he can make adjustments to keep this team successful. Remember how well the Steelers did Cowher's final season as a coach.

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 11:15 AM
3 of your 4 examples there are still up in the air.

Mendy has 1 good game and he's crowned the next Emmitt Smith, and Timmons is so-so at this point. He seems to have the ability, but he has to get better. He didn't have a good 2nd half against the Bolts. He totally got owned when he went up against Gates there on a few plays. One of his TD's as a matter of fact. Timmons missed a few tackles.

A 2nd round draft pick was used/ wasted on Sweed.

So, what's your argument again?

snarky
10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't understand why the draft picks are continually hung on Tomlin (or credited to him) since none of us really know what input he has on the draft. I mean, it seems pretty clear that he doesn't make these picks by himself (since Cowher was apparently overridden when they took Ben). So really it's the results on the field that matter the most (IMHO) and not whether an individual player does or doesn't work out.

No doubt he has come into a situation where the team was capable of winning the SB. But as we all know, they were capable of going 8-8 too. I know there is this school of thought that he was a passenger for the SB. But seriously, in a league this competitive, could a team really survive if the HC was a passenger? Are there people who really believe that?

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Yea, you are right. I wasn't going to respond to that post regarding Timmons, Woodley, etc. but did anyway.

We will never know, but I would assume that with each passing year, he becomes more entrenched in those decisions. I'd imagine that his 1st year, he had say in the matter, but Colbert was/is calling the shots. Again, successful companies, organizations, etc. are successful because they have a 'team' effort in getting things done, so I'm sure the entire coaching staff has something to say on who gets drafted.

As far as the passenger statement- maybe to some degree he was, but he still put his coaching and :2c into as well. He did have LeBeau stay- which he had no choice in the matter, and even though he had a new OC, the offense stayed the same as far as the terminology, etc is concerned.

stlrz d
10-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Pappy

I disagree you idiot!

(I can't believe yinz left that low hanging fruit for me). :lol:

BDESteel
10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Yea, you are right. I wasn't going to respond to that post regarding Timmons, Woodley, etc. but did anyway.

We will never know, but I would assume that with each passing year, he becomes more entrenched in those decisions. I'd imagine that his 1st year, he had say in the matter, but Colbert was/is calling the shots. Again, successful companies, organizations, etc. are successful because they have a 'team' effort in getting things done, so I'm sure the entire coaching staff has something to say on who gets drafted.

I also agree with Snarky. My point is Tomlin can plug in people that aren't Cowher people and continue to win games. That in my opinion is the sign of a good coach. There has been argument from LVG (who the original poster seems to allude to) makes the argument that this current Steelers team is a nucleus of Cowher people and when they're gone the teams winning ways will go with them. I don't believe that is going to be true.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Guys, I bet there wasn't one of you ready to scream your F-ing heads off at Tomlin if the Steelers blew a 28 point lead.

These are the things that really gnaw at me about Tomlin. When in the history of the Steelers has a 28 point lead not been safe? Did he learn anything from the Bears and Bengals game? Why in the world was he not thinking on-side kick right after the Chargers scored and the game was winding down? Did he think the Chargers were content and the game was over? Everyone knew it was coming and the hands team wasn't even out there. He didn't even have the side overloaded anticipating an onside kick. It's stupid decisions like this which swing momentum. No way, no how should this game have come down to us kicking a field goal to preserve the win when we were up by 28 points.

Then there is Mendenhall-gate. We all knew this kid could be special but it takes a FWP injury to get him into the lineup fulltime. Did he really expect Mendenhall to produce getting 4 to 5 carries a game. Now he has a delimma on his hands when FWP is ready to come back. He has already proclaimed FWP as his runner so let's see if he saw what every other Steeler fan saw and this is actually Mendenhall's job to lose now.

I'm curious to see what he is going to do.

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
It's still is a group of players mostly from the Cowher era. You can't say it isn't. Go down through the roster and take a look.

Yes, as each year passes, there is more turnover, but there are still (without going down through the roster) close to 15 starters that are from the old regime.

On O the new starters not from the Cowher era are Hartwig and C. Davis.

On D you have Woodley, Timmons, and Gay.

The rest were already here.

Just be realistic.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
It's still is a group of players mostly from the Cowher era. You can't say it isn't. Go down through the roster and take a look.

Yes, as each year passes, there is more turnover, but there are still (without going down through the roster) close to 15 starters that are from the old regime.

Just be realistic.

Woodley is non exist this year. Timmons makes a presence every now and then and Gay is good in spots.

BDESteel
10-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Just be realistic.

:HeadBanger I truly believe you just like to argue. I think you know what I'm saying. It would be easy to lose games with the turnover of players we have and just the fact that if he was a poor coach we wouldn't have won the SB.

[quote="LasVegasGuy"]Guys, I bet there wasn't one of you ready to scream your F-ing heads off at Tomlin if the Steelers blew a 28 point lead.

I would have. I've blamed Coach T for things I thought were his fault. He's doing a good job keeping the team together and you should acknowledge that. But, you seem to hate no matter what he does.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Just be realistic.

:HeadBanger I truly believe you just like to argue. I think you know what I'm saying. It would be easy to lose games with the turnover of players we have and just the fact that if he was a poor coach we wouldn't have won the SB.

Guys, I bet there wasn't one of you ready to scream your F-ing heads off at Tomlin if the Steelers blew a 28 point lead.

I would have. I've blamed Coach T for things I thought were his fault. He's doing a good job keeping the team together and you should acknowledge that. But, you seem to hate no matter what he does.

Not necessarily. I was curious to see how the team would respond after losing two games in a row and he passed the test in my opinion. I was a proud fan for 3 quarters because the Steelers were playing like I expect the Steelers to play. Then I was left scratching my head on how in the world we needed a late field goal to hold of the Chargers. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

BDESteel
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Just be realistic.

Not necessarily. I was curious to see how the team would respond after losing two games in a row and he passed the test in my opinion. I was a proud fan for 3 quarters because the Steelers were playing like I expect the Steelers to play. Then I was left scratching my head on how in the world we needed a late field goal to hold of the Chargers. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

On that, I concur. :Cheers

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 03:46 PM

It wasn't about his predicting the demise of Parker, rather he had Mendenhall starting week 1 one of his rookie season over FW. I believe that's what most were arguing, but he seemed to think everyone who didn't want to start a rook over thousand-yard back was an idiot. I don't think anyone had a problem with seeing that Mendenhall had the potential to end up being a more complete back eventually. But if memory serves me correctly, that's wasn't his take, or at least that's not how he presented it.

It wasn't that I thought Mendenhall as a rookie was better then FWP. I couldn't watch as this coaching staff stood behind FWP as he gained 1 and 2 yards a carry. He was constantly putting our offense in 3rd and long situations which in turned led to Ben holding the ball to long waiting for recievers to run long routes. His running I believe hamstrung our offense in what it could and couldn't do.

I figured with Mendenhall in there our situation couldn't get any worse over FWP. I'm surprised it took this coaching staff so long to finally give the kid a legitimate shoot to get into the rhythm of the game.

stlrz d
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM

I would advise you to click on his profile, search all posts by user and re-think that statement.

NC Steeler Fan
10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":2lxw6pbb]LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

I would advise you to click on his profile, search all posts by user and re-think that statement.[/quote:2lxw6pbb]

Well, maybe so.

But, he's doing a damn good job of contributing on this thread...

NC Steeler Fan
10-06-2009, 04:17 PM

It wasn't that I thought Mendenhall as a rookie was better then FWP. I couldn't watch as this coaching staff stood behind FWP as he gained 1 and 2 yards a carry. He was constantly putting our offense in 3rd and long situations which in turned led to Ben holding the ball to long waiting for recievers to run long routes. His running I believe hamstrung our offense in what it could and couldn't do.

I figured with Mendenhall in there our situation couldn't get any worse over FWP. I'm surprised it took this coaching staff so long to finally give the kid a legitimate shoot to get into the rhythm of the game.

I'm not sure they should get much credit here though...Mendenhall was in because Parker was out, no?

frankthetank1
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM

These are the things that really gnaw at me about Tomlin. When in the history of the Steelers has a 28 point lead not been safe? Did he learn anything from the Bears and Bengals game? Why in the world was he not thinking on-side kick right after the Chargers scored and the game was winding down? Did he think the Chargers were content and the game was over? Everyone knew it was coming and the hands team wasn't even out there. He didn't even have the side overloaded anticipating an onside kick. It's stupid decisions like this which swing momentum. No way, no how should this game have come down to us kicking a field goal to preserve the win when we were up by 28 points.

Then there is Mendenhall-gate. We all knew this kid could be special but it takes a FWP injury to get him into the lineup fulltime. Did he really expect Mendenhall to produce getting 4 to 5 carries a game. Now he has a delimma on his hands when FWP is ready to come back. He has already proclaimed FWP as his runner so let's see if he saw what every other Steeler fan saw and this is actually Mendenhall's job to lose now.

the onside kick was a bad bad move no doubt, but why doesnt lebeau take any blame? its all tomlin with you. i know you think lebeau has carried tomlin thus far so what about now when the offense is carrying the defense? no arguement here when it comes to rb rotation. but i would even include moore in the running game too. moore has proved more than mendenhall has. no reason why both players shouldnt share carries. the bengals game was an exception though. you cant fault tomlin for being strict and inforcing some discipline. cowher would have done exactly the same in that situation. i would think winning a sb in year two for a young coach would definetly exceed expectations wouldnt you?

ikestops85
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Actually they could get worse with Mendy in ... face it, our o-line was in shambles for most of last year and even the 1st half of the Titans game this year. Then, starting in the 2nd half of that game, it seemed like magic and they became a wall in pass protection. Yes, there was the occasional breakdown but overall the pass protection has been great. Instead of Ben running for his life he gets to pump fake the ball 2, 3 or even 4 times.

But the run blocking has taken longer to improve. It started getting better in the bengal game but you have to admit that in the games FWP played in last year or this year he NEVER saw holes like the ones from the last Charger game. The only thing close to that was the playoff game against the chargers last year. I don't want to take anything away from Mendy's performance but I think Willie would have come close to matching it if he had played. Notice I said close. I think this is the first time Mendy has shown he has the skills to outperform Willie ... and he has had chances before. Last year in pre-season and the regular season he had trouble holding on to the ball. This year in pre-season he showed little to nothing and evidently he wasn't into learning the playbook. Tomlin and Arians have given Mendy chances but he hasn't taken advantage of them until now.

You can't blame the coaches if the players don't take advantage of the opportunities offered to them. Look at Wallace and Sweed ... they have both had chances and one has performed while the other hasn't.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. While everyone on here is hoping the Steelers lock up Tomlin for many, mnay years I feel we still need to see what he is made of. I say a one or two year extension before we even consider locking him up for 4 or 5 years. I don't think we are out of the "Barry Switzer", "Mike Martz" woods yet of coaches who inherited good teams and had instant success early on.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
3 of your 4 examples there are still up in the air.

Mendy has 1 good game and he's crowned the next Emmitt Smith, and Timmons is so-so at this point. He seems to have the ability, but he has to get better. He didn't have a good 2nd half against the Bolts. He totally got owned when he went up against Gates there on a few plays. One of his TD's as a matter of fact. Timmons missed a few tackles.

A 2nd round draft pick was used/ wasted on Sweed.

So, what's your argument again?

Don't forget 0 sacks for Woodley in 4 games. We may have another Kendrell Bell on our hands. 1, maybe 2, good years and then just disappears.

feltdizz
10-06-2009, 06:25 PM

I agree on the Mendenhall deal.. he should start.. just like Ben and FWP kept their spots after getting them thru injury.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 06:28 PM

the onside kick was a bad bad move no doubt, but why doesnt lebeau take any blame? its all tomlin with you. i know you think lebeau has carried tomlin thus far so what about now when the offense is carrying the defense? no arguement here when it comes to rb rotation. but i would even include moore in the running game too. moore has proved more than mendenhall has. no reason why both players shouldnt share carries. the bengals game was an exception though. you cant fault tomlin for being strict and inforcing some discipline. cowher would have done exactly the same in that situation. i would think winning a sb in year two for a young coach would definetly exceed expectations wouldnt you?

Tomlin is the head coach. He has every right to call Lebeau into his office on Monday and fire his butt. So when things go bad in a game it's the fault of the coach for allowing it to happen. If Tomlin doesn't like something override it. You were given the head coaching job not the defensive coordinator position. If you don't like the defense change it. You don't like the offense change it. All calls go through his headset.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 06:33 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":3n4xe6ei]LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

I would advise you to click on his profile, search all posts by user and re-think that statement.[/quote:3n4xe6ei]

Let me know STLRZ-DOUCHE if you find something that isn't Tomlin or FWP related? I think it's apparent to everyone on here I don't have the same lovefest everyone else has for Tomlin or FWP. Don't try to stir up something that isn't there. Just grab your deer piss, tree stand and head off into the woods and wait for Sunday.

http://ushuntingtoday.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/summittreestand.jpg

feltdizz
10-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Just be realistic.

I never understood why this was such a big deal. Name one coach who fired 53 players and started over. Tomlins job is to keep winning..

I could see if Cowher had 4 rings but he lost a ton of AFCCG's.. his era was filled with great a win % and a dismal AFCCG record.

feltdizz
10-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Tomlin is the head coach. He has every right to call Lebeau into his office on Monday and fire his butt. So when things go bad in a game it's the fault of the coach for allowing it to happen. If Tomlin doesn't like something override it. You were given the head coaching job not the defensive coordinator position. If you don't like the defense change it. You don't like the offense change it. All calls go through his headset.

but firing Lebeau would be idiotic... you suggest things that would clearly be used against Tomlin a week later..

I think you have this view of Tomlin patting guys on the back and giving Lebeau a party for his recent failure..

you read too much into the cliche press conferences..

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 06:46 PM

Actually they could get worse with Mendy in ... face it, our o-line was in shambles for most of last year and even the 1st half of the Titans game this year. Then, starting in the 2nd half of that game, it seemed like magic and they became a wall in pass protection. Yes, there was the occasional breakdown but overall the pass protection has been great. Instead of Ben running for his life he gets to pump fake the ball 2, 3 or even 4 times.

But the run blocking has taken longer to improve. It started getting better in the bengal game but you have to admit that in the games FWP played in last year or this year he NEVER saw holes like the ones from the last Charger game. The only thing close to that was the playoff game against the chargers last year. I don't want to take anything away from Mendy's performance but I think Willie would have come close to matching it if he had played. Notice I said close. I think this is the first time Mendy has shown he has the skills to outperform Willie ... and he has had chances before. Last year in pre-season and the regular season he had trouble holding on to the ball. This year in pre-season he showed little to nothing and evidently he wasn't into learning the playbook. Tomlin and Arians have given Mendy chances but he hasn't taken advantage of them until now.

You can't blame the coaches if the players don't take advantage of the opportunities offered to them. Look at Wallace and Sweed ... they have both had chances and one has performed while the other hasn't.

Was the blocking better in the San Diego game or did we have the Chargers off balance between a guy that can actually run and Ben's passing? Mendy was running with vigor, something we don't see out of FWP. How many times did we see Mendy get hit once, twice and three times and keep moving his feet? That is the difference in my opinion. While the holes were there they just didn't magically appear in this game. While Mendy hits the hole straight on, FWP likes to dance around. Lineman can't be expected to hold blocks forever you have a short window of opportunity as a running back. Mendy takes advantage of it while FWP doesn't, in my opinion.

And by the way look how well Mendy did without a fullback. So it is possible to have success without utilizing a fullback fulltime as most people on here preach is the problem we have with Willie.

LasVegasGuy
10-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Just be realistic.

I never understood why this was such a big deal. Name one coach who fired 53 players and started over. Tomlins job is to keep winning..

I could see if Cowher had 4 rings but he lost a ton of AFCCG's.. his era was filled with great a win % and a dismal AFCCG record.

But in Cowher's defense the minute he was given a franchise quarterback he won a Super Bowl. The same franchise quarterback that Tomlin has today. Plus, he ran up against some pretty good Patriot teams and John Elway.

stlrz d
10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":hmufzfi9]LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

I would advise you to click on his profile, search all posts by user and re-think that statement.

Let me know STLRZ-DOUCHE if you find something that isn't Tomlin or FWP related? I think it's apparent to everyone on here I don't have the same lovefest everyone else has for Tomlin or FWP. Don't try to stir up something that isn't there. Just grab your deer piss, tree stand and head off into the woods and wait for Sunday.

http://ushuntingtoday.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/summittreestand.jpg[/quote:hmufzfi9]

See NC...not only is he a troll, he's a sad, angry bitter little man who doesn't know the first thing about those whom he attempts to insult.

The last time I hunted with a gun was 27 years ago...and I've never bow hunted...or used any kind of masking agents. :lol: Oh yeah, and then there's that matter of me originally being from a metro area of nearly 13 million people...perhaps some of you have heard of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Metropolitan_Area)? :lol:

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Also in Cowher's defense, I believe he had the best record in the NFL for his enitre tenure of what? 15 years or so. He was consistent in his coaching and had a great nucleus of players for most of the 2000's decade up until he stepped down.

Whoever took over was to benefit from that. :tt1

feltdizz
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Also in Cowher's defense, I believe he had the best record in the NFL for his enitre tenure of what? 15 years or so. He was consistent in his coaching and had a great nucleus of players for most of the 2000's decade up until he stepped down.

or completely muck it up...

Chadman
10-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Chadman has never had a problem with LVG- so long as you are not insulting to other posters, you're entitled to an opinion, no matter how right or wrong you are.

There are some posters that ONLY post after a loss- 'truefan' comes to mind- LVG posts after losses & wins, so it's hard to say that he's anti-steelers, he's here for the good & bad.

Any dislike for Tomlin, FWP, Woodley or any other player is fine- again, so long as it's not insulting to other posters. Chadman has personally had an issue with the abilities of the Steelers CB's for a few years- sometimes Chadman's issues are backed up by poor play from the CB's, sometimes they show Chadman up. Being a Steeler fan isn't about being completely in love with everything that happens in the club. It's about wanting the best for the black & gold.

Now- the Cowher/Tomlin debate.... firstly, Cowher's record speaks for itself- a hugely successful HC & a Steeler legend. Could he have won more SB's? Perhaps, if he hadn't shown so much faith in some players. Chadman wanted Cowher replaced when he left- not because Cowher 'sucked', but because the Steelers stopped playing FOR HIM, and he didn't seem to care. That just shows that he'd had enough. Did Tomlin inherit a great team? Yes & no. There were issues with the roster- decisions that needed to be made, to freshen up the squad & make them competitive once more. The pieces were in place, they just needed....tweeking. And last year showed that Tomlin can 'tweek'. we'll start to see in the next year or so if Tomlin can produce a team of his own, but for now he is overseeing the transition of old players to young- a challenge in itself. Tomlin doesn't 'suck', but it's hard to claim him as 'great' at this point too. Chadman likes what he sees though, as a roster manager. As a HC, on game day, yeah, there are some areas he can improve- but he's young in terms of coaching- experience will most likely make him better. If he's making the same mistakes in 5 years time, there's a problem.

NKySteeler
10-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Personally, I think we all like everything as long as it goes smoothly... If the road gets rough, everyone has opinions as to where blame should fall, and that's rightly so... I personally think there have been a few poor coaching decisions made as well in past weeks, but that is also acceptable given that we have a young coach and he is still developing IMO, and is only going to get better from the great start he's had... I wouldn't change it for anything. I seem to recall a message I got shortly after the season (or maybe during the playoffs) about accepting Tomlin, so I take some of this with a grain of salt... Cowher is gone, and comparison might as well be made to Noll because both are in the past... It will get better (not that it's too darn bad right now... It could be alot worse). I have faith...

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7466/steelersfans3.jpg

As for Parker, I don't think he is utilized appropriately, and that is part of the problem. Part of it... But he isn't running as of old IMO. We also drafted Mendy for a reason, and to expect him to sit behind Parker if Willy is healthy is crazy. That would be a poor use of a draft pick IMO.

Everyone this side of Rio knows I am not an Arians supporter. It's not because of one or two weeks of poor performance, but much more. I have no issue with people telling me I'm f**ked in the head for it... But LeBeau gets a mulligan in my book. He is without possibly the biggest "gamechanger" in his schemes right now. If it persists, then someone more knowledgable than me needs to ask what the problem is, and why there is suddenly no qb pressure from this group... But LeBeau is possibly the greatest DC ever in my opinion, and to cast too much too soon is not a rational idea. But that's just me...

Basically, I just want to say that opinions are what makes a board go 'round. And as my mother used to tell me (actually she still does), "it's not what you say, but how you say it that will effect people".... Nothing wrong with pointing-out deficiencies in our team if they exist IMO.

stlrz d
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Chadman has never had a problem with LVG- so long as you are not insulting to other posters, you're entitled to an opinion, no matter how right or wrong you are.

There are some posters that ONLY post after a loss- 'truefan' comes to mind- LVG posts after losses & wins, so it's hard to say that he's anti-steelers, he's here for the good & bad.

Any dislike for Tomlin, FWP, Woodley or any other player is fine- again, so long as it's not insulting to other posters. Chadman has personally had an issue with the abilities of the Steelers CB's for a few years- sometimes Chadman's issues are backed up by poor play from the CB's, sometimes they show Chadman up. Being a Steeler fan isn't about being completely in love with everything that happens in the club. It's about wanting the best for the black & gold.

Now- the Cowher/Tomlin debate.... firstly, Cowher's record speaks for itself- a hugely successful HC & a Steeler legend. Could he have won more SB's? Perhaps, if he hadn't shown so much faith in some players. Chadman wanted Cowher replaced when he left- not because Cowher 'sucked', but because the Steelers stopped playing FOR HIM, and he didn't seem to care. That just shows that he'd had enough. Did Tomlin inherit a great team? Yes & no. There were issues with the roster- decisions that needed to be made, to freshen up the squad & make them competitive once more. The pieces were in place, they just needed....tweeking. And last year showed that Tomlin can 'tweek'. we'll start to see in the next year or so if Tomlin can produce a team of his own, but for now he is overseeing the transition of old players to young- a challenge in itself. Tomlin doesn't 'suck', but it's hard to claim him as 'great' at this point too. Chadman likes what he sees though, as a roster manager. As a HC, on game day, yeah, there are some areas he can improve- but he's young in terms of coaching- experience will most likely make him better. If he's making the same mistakes in 5 years time, there's a problem.

With all due respect I don't think you've honestly paid it close enough attention over the last few years.

He's here to bitch after losses...and even after a win he only shows up to complain about something or to say that he was right about something that he was bitching about previously. Which in this case is Parker. Mendy had one good game against a team that we have historically run well against...but it's "I told you so" time now. He's bitched about Tomlin's hiring since day one. If there is an issue or a loss it is because of Tomlin. If credit is deserved it's directed every where but Tomlin's way.

LVG has proved himself to be racist and hateful back on the trib forum and it's carried over to this one. He joined another board started by Kipper and Toro and the reason I stayed away from that forum was because of him...even though I was invited by a few decent folks to go there. He can spew all his hateful, racist childish crap all he wants there...this is a place where grown ups talk...we don't need his kind of crap here.

NKySteeler
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I will also say that I like LVG, and have met him personally. His love for the Steelers should never be questioned. We all are entitled to varying opinions.... I also like stlrz d, and have talked to him via phone, and his love for the Steelers, or opinions should never be questioned either.... Thus said, everyone should enjoy the reason everyone posts here and use the different opinions as a method of "growth of knowledge and/or perception"... I'll back out of this now and shut my pie-hole....

Chadman
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I will also say that I like LVG, and have met him personally. His love for the Steelers should never be questioned. We all are entitled to varying opinions.... I also like stlrz d, and have talked to him via phone, and his love for the Steelers, or opinions should never be questioned either.... Thus said, everyone should enjoy the reason everyone posts here and use the different opinions as a method of "growth of knowledge and/or perception"... I'll back out of this now and shut my pie-hole....

Shut up NKY you righteous S.O.B.!!!!

:stirpot

NKySteeler
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Ha Ha!.... Hey, I haven't posted anywhere in a while, so I thought I'd toss-in a few perceptions from my "lurking" here. I have my own battles to contend with as well.... :lol:

costanza2k1
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
This is a DISCUSSION FORUM. It doesn't matter if a fan shows up when they lose or they win. I'll be the first to admit I'm the opposite of most fans. I visit sites a lot less when they lose just because losing hurts enough...I don't need to be reminded of it in every post.

I value everyone's opinion whether I agree with it or not.

THE NAME CALLING MUST STOP, it doesn't add to the discussion and is pretty lame if you ask me.

AngryAsian
10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
This is a DISCUSSION FORUM. It doesn't matter if a fan shows up when they lose or they win. I'll be the first to admit I'm the opposite of most fans. I visit sites a lot less when they lose just because losing hurts enough...I don't need to be reminded of it in every post.

THE NAME CALLING MUST STOP, it doesn't add to the discussion and is pretty lame if you ask me.

Logic, in excess!

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 09:33 PM

:Agree

This is what I have been trying to say in this thread. IMO, Tomlin inherited a great team to begin with- just needed tweaking. However, like Chadman suggests, the next few years are key as he will be losing even more talent and we'll see what he and the team does to replace that talent.

I just think that his real coaching abilities and management abilities are ahead of him, and like Chadman says, if the same mistakes are made in 5 years, we have a problem. Tomlin can be inconsistent at times.

I also agree 100% about the CB play. We not only need a Safety like Chadman has been referring too, I hinestly believe we need a pro bowl caliber CB. Ala, Derrelle Revis or Antoine Winfield type. We were 1 pick away from Revis- sickening.

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 12:21 AM
[quote="stlrz d":16pgjy0w][quote="anger 82&95":16pgjy0w]LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

http://ushuntingtoday.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/summittreestand.jpg[/quote:16pgjy0w]

See NC...not only is he a troll, he's a sad, angry bitter little man who doesn't know the first thing about those whom he attempts to insult.

The last time I hunted with a gun was 27 years ago...and I've never bow hunted...or used any kind of masking agents. :lol: Oh yeah, and then there's that matter of me originally being from a metro area of nearly 13 million people...perhaps some of you have heard of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Metropolitan_Area)? :lol:[/quote:16pgjy0w]

I guess the same holds true for you as well. You think you know me but you don't know squat.

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 12:36 AM

With all due respect I don't think you've honestly paid it close enough attention over the last few years.

He's here to bitch after losses...and even after a win he only shows up to complain about something or to say that he was right about something that he was bitching about previously. Which in this case is Parker. Mendy had one good game against a team that we have historically run well against...but it's "I told you so" time now. He's bitched about Tomlin's hiring since day one. If there is an issue or a loss it is because of Tomlin. If credit is deserved it's directed every where but Tomlin's way.

LVG has proved himself to be racist and hateful back on the trib forum and it's carried over to this one. He joined another board started by Kipper and Toro and the reason I stayed away from that forum was because of him...even though I was invited by a few decent folks to go there. He can spew all his hateful, racist childish crap all he wants there...this is a place where grown ups talk...we don't need his kind of crap here.

Dude, give it a rest already. Not sure what kind of support you are trying to drum up but your act is old. If you want to attack me be my guest but at least be truthful. I'm here win or lose talking about the things that I didn't like. Unlike you I have a job so sometimes I can't log on everyday but I do make it a point to try and log on during the week. If you missed me it was because I was busy earning a living. If what I say offends you I personally don't care.

Why don't you tattle on me some more but when you do make sure you add all the racist comments you direct toward me.

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Your two cents is always welcomed by me NKY.

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 12:41 AM

Ha Ha!.... Hey, I haven't posted anywhere in a while, so I thought I'd toss-in a few perceptions from my "lurking" here. I have my own battles to contend with as well.... :lol:

That's because he had to be talked down from a ledge after the loss to the Bungles.

Oviedo
10-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Dude, give it a rest already. Not sure what kind of support you are trying to drum up but your act is old. If you want to attack me be my guest but at least be truthful. I'm here win or lose talking about the things that I didn't like. Unlike you I have a job so sometimes I can't log on everyday but I do make it a point to try and log on during the week. If you missed me it was because I was busy earning a living. If what I say offends you I personally don't care.

Why don't you tattle on me some more but when you do make sure you add all the racist comments you direct toward me.

I think the issue is captured in your own words

I'm here win or lose talking about the things that I didn't like.

You always have something you DON'T like but no one can recall recently anything that you DO like. Just comes across as constant bashing and grinding an axe. That is OK if you just have a negative outlook on life in general because that is unfortunately your life. But, I think that is why so many view you as a "troll" and many dismiss so much of what you write.

You always weren't that way but in the last two years that has been your predominant style and theme.

frankthetank1
10-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Just be realistic.

But in Cowher's defense the minute he was given a franchise quarterback he won a Super Bowl. The same franchise quarterback that Tomlin has today. Plus, he ran up against some pretty good Patriot teams and John Elway.

please the minute he was GIVEN a franchise qb? cowher didnt even want ben, it was all dan rooney with picking ben. if cowher had his way he would of drafted differently and would have never won a sb

Jooser
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM

SERENITY NOW!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/cackslop/george_costanza.jpg
shrinkage sucks, huh George. :D

frankthetank1
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM

the same could be said about cowher when he took over for chuck noll. the steelers were a solid team, not great but solid when cowher became the head coach. you can always use the same arguement for any coach that has taken over a good team

NC Steeler Fan
10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3hlvtam8][quote="anger 82&95":3hlvtam8]LVG is certainly not a troll. His predictions regarding the demise of Parker, give or take one more piss poor performance, appear to be accurate.

http://ushuntingtoday.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/summittreestand.jpg

The last time I hunted with a gun was 27 years ago...and I've never bow hunted...or used any kind of masking agents. :lol: Oh yeah, and then there's that matter of me originally being from a metro area of nearly 13 million people...perhaps some of you have heard of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Metropolitan_Area)? :lol:[/quote:3hlvtam8]

I guess the same holds true for you as well. You think you know me but you don't know squat.[/quote:3hlvtam8]

Okay, dammit....now I AM pis sed...

I happen to deer hunt...bow and rifle...

Geezus, you guys can't win for losin', eh? :lol:

Jooser
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
You shot Bambi!

Just kidding, I live in WV, we eat Bambi off the interstate. LMAO! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2009, 10:50 AM
You shot Bambi!

No...she shot Bambi's mom. Girl on girl crime. Almost an interspecies cat fight. :mrgreen:

BTW, I think the pink turtleneck kind of ruins the whole concept of camoflauge. It is difficult to pretend that you are a tree with a fuchsia-colored neck-line showing through. :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
You shot Bambi!

No...she shot Bambi's mom. Girl on girl crime. Almost an interspecies cat fight. :mrgreen:

BTW, I think the pink turtleneck kind of ruins the whole concept of camoflauge. It is difficult to pretend that you are a tree with a fuchsia-colored neck-line showing through. :lol:

Dude, I had a full, camoflauged face and head cover on going to the stand and
while I was up the tree. It has a cowl that drapes down onto the shoulders.

You don't think that shiney, white face wouldn't spook a deer too? :lol:

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Just be realistic.

please the minute he was GIVEN a franchise qb? cowher didnt even want ben, it was all dan rooney with picking ben. if cowher had his way he would of drafted differently and would have never won a sb

He was eyeballing Philip Rivers that year (NC State guy) and was dissapointed when he was selected 4th. To say he didn't want Ben is a bit of a reach especially when you consider we had Tommy Maddox. I'm sure they didn't hold a gun to his head and forced Ben on him.

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 11:25 AM

the same could be said about cowher when he took over for chuck noll. the steelers were a solid team, not great but solid when cowher became the head coach. you can always use the same arguement for any coach that has taken over a good team

Come back to us when Tomlin keeps the ship straight for 15 years. By the time Cowher retired Nolls team were already grandparents and we were still winning.

frankthetank1
10-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Just be realistic.

He was eyeballing Philip Rivers that year (NC State guy) and was dissapointed when he was selected 4th. To say he didn't want Ben is a bit of a reach especially when you consider we had Tommy Maddox. I'm sure they didn't hold a gun to his head and forced Ben on him.

so why give cowher the benefit of the doubt and never give tomlin the same? so what if we had tommy maddox. we had korkie all those years and never drafted a decent qb. again you have to blame cowher a good deal for that one too. rivers is a good qb but he definetly is no ben. how many games has rivers won in the postseason? a couple maybe?

snarky
10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Everything I've read about it says that Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews and that Rooney and Colbert over-ruled him.

Oviedo
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Everything I've read about it says that Cowher wanted Shawn Andrews and that Rooney and Colbert over-ruled him.

That is also consistent with everything I have heard.

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
so why give cowher the benefit of the doubt and never give tomlin the same? so what if we had tommy maddox. we had korkie all those years and never drafted a decent qb. again you have to blame cowher a good deal for that one too. rivers is a good qb but he definetly is no ben. how many games has rivers won in the postseason? a couple maybe?

We were basically a playoff team every year regardless of who we had at quarterback. Whether or not we needed a change at the quarterback position is up for debate. Kinda the same thing that is going on with Arians. Do you fire the offensive coordinator after a Super Bowl win? I say fire him and some people say you just can't do that. The same thing happened with Korkie and Tommy. Cowher didn't consider drafting a quarterback because we were going to the playoffs each year? I believe if Cowher would have replaced these guys early on he may have a few more Super Bowl appearances to add to his resume.

Oviedo
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
You shot Bambi!

Fortunately deer are color blind.

However using a high powered rifle to kill and unarmed animal is hardly a sport. Would be more impressed to see an arrow sticking out of the deer or a flintlock musket on her back. :stirpot

LasVegasGuy
10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
You shot Bambi!

However using a high powered rifle to kill and unarmed animal is hardly a sport. Would be more impressed to see an arrow sticking out of the deer or a flintlock musket on her back. :stirpot

For once we agree. :tt2

frankthetank1
10-07-2009, 11:52 AM

We were basically a playoff team every year regardless of who we had at quarterback. Whether or not we needed a change at the quarterback position is up for debate. Kinda the same thing that is going on with Arians. Do you fire the offensive coordinator after a Super Bowl win? I say fire him and some people say you just can't do that. The same thing happened with Korkie and Tommy. Cowher didn't consider drafting a quarterback because we were going to the playoffs each year? I believe if Cowher would have replaced these guys early on he may have a few more Super Bowl appearances to add to his resume.

i agree i think if cowher got a good qb earlier he would have more rings. i dont think there was ever a debate on wether or not a change at qb should have been made. korkie had one good year and that was pretty much it. well in regards to arians this season the offense has put up some unbelievable problem. besides one game against the leagues elite run stopping defense the offense has been excellent.

snarky
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Come back to us when Tomlin keeps the ship straight for 15 years. By the time Cowher retired Nolls team were already grandparents and we were still winning.

Well, Tomlin is two for two as far as making the playoffs. So I think if you are going to pull out the old 'get back to me in a decade or two' then you should wait until Tomlin falls below BC's in at least one of the following stats before saying the guy can't coach

1. average for making the playoffs
2. playoff winning percentage
3. playoff wins per year
4. percentage of time winning the division
5. regular season winning percentage
6. SB wins per year

Because, of course a third year coach is not going to have fifteen years of success - he hasn't been coaching that long. He isn't going to have 150 career wins because he's only coached 36 games at this point. So you are setting up a ridiculous (in the true sense of the word) criteria.

Seriously, is there any objective definition of coaching success in which Tomlin is actually behind Cowher other than something like total career wins or total career playoff wins.

NC Steeler Fan
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
You shot Bambi!

Bullchiiiiit... :lol:

Spoken like non-deer hunters. Busting a DECENT doe is tough.

Those skinny, spindly, city deer that so many of you are familiar with are easy prey.
But, they don't have any meat on them and are not worth cleaning.

Out in the woods, an old doe with meat on her will actually let her fawns walk out into
an open field to see if anything goes after them before she breaks the cover of
the woods to graze herself.

Even good bucks in rut are dumber than big, fat old does. A buck will stumble out into a
clearing to check a mock scrape in heartbeat, as opposed to the doe who will see you long before you ever see her, no matter how still or scent-free you are and how closely you are listening for the slightest hint of movement near you.

As for the weapon of choice, I prefer a quick, clean, sure kill hunting in thicker cover. Not everyone hunts in high fence, park-like settings like you see on TV you know.

S'kay. I'm used to the lack of knowledge out there... :lol:

Oviedo
10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
You shot Bambi!

Let me reevaluate my position :wink:

ikestops85
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I think Cowher was a great coach and loved him. One of the best motivational coaches of all time. To me he did more with less than any coach around during his coaching days. I believe many over estimate the talent he had to work with. He had very few "stars" at the skill positions during his tenure. He never had a QB that he could turn the game over to and have him win it. That's the reason I think he didn't have more championship seasons.

However, I don't think he was much of an X and O type of coach. He wasn't a perfect coach by any means. He was out coached in quite a few big games and the reason he did win a championship was he finally let his coordinators do their job that year and that enabled us to out coach our opponents. Other years it seemed like his testicles shrunk up inside him and we would play that "turtle" ball type of game which is hard to win against the type of opponents you face in conference championship games or SBs.

I have to say Tomlin was not my choice for the head coaching job. However, I have liked him from the first time I heard him speak and I like him more every time I hear him. He holds his players, his coaching staff and himself accountable which is something I love about him. The players seem to respect him and want to play for him. He also is not a perfect coach and is the first one to admit it. After his first season he said that he had a lot to improve on. I think he has done that.

I give Tomlin a lot of credit for the job he has done. Not as much credit as Cowher because he hasn't been around that long but I think he has done a good enough job to get a contract extension of 4 or 5 years. Of course all this is JMHO.

Oviedo
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
You shot Bambi!

Those skinny, spindly, city deer that so many of you are familiar with are easy prey.

Out in the woods, an old doe with meat on her will actually let her fawns walk out into

Even good bucks in rut are dumber than big, fat old does. A buck will stumble out into a
clearing to check a mock scrape in heartbeat, as opposed to the doe who will see you long before you ever see her, no matter how still or scent-free you are and how closely you are listening for the slightest hint of movement near you.

As for the weapon of choice, I prefer a quick, clean, sure kill hunting in thicker cover. Not everyone hunts in high fence, park-like settings like you see on TV you know.

Sorry to bust your little pink bubble but I started hunting when I was 12 years old.

I just realized that sport meant something that was competitive and difficult. Let's see high powered rifle that will shoot 600 yards plus. High powered optics so the target looks like it is 20 yards away. Multi round magazine just in case you aren't really that good a shot. I'd cut you a break if you had at least tried with open sights but I guess girls just aren't that good a shot :stirpot

Be honest. Until deer start wearing flack jackets and can plant anti-personnel mines and claymores along your path to deer stands it is hardly a sport.
:wink:

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 12:37 PM

That is also consistent with everything I have heard.

Add me to that list as well. Cowher was eying a guy from his Alma Mater (Rivers) who he knew he'd never have a realistic chance at getting.

Instead he was forced to take a guy who is proving to be not only a Steeler great, but one of the all time greats. If Ben continues doing what he's doing it appears I'll be making another trip to Canton...but this time for an induction ceremony! :tt2 I've always been a Cowher fan and was sad to see him go, but on this one I'm damn glad he was overruled.

Oh, and just for the record, the Mods are active participants here. There is no tattling going on...they read the forum. Also, as has been pointed out already, I have a job. With a company that ranks in the top 25 of the fortune 500 even. Yup, a top 25 fortune 500 company has a location right here in the sticks...NC, you could probably hunt deer right on the company's property from the comfort of one of the balconies that overlooks the pond! :D

snarky
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I think Cowher was a great coach and loved him. One of the best motivational coaches of all time. To me he did more with less than any coach around during his coaching days. I believe many over estimate the talent he had to work with. He had very few "stars" at the skill positions during his tenure. He never had a QB that he could turn the game over to and have him win it. That's the reason I think he didn't have more championship seasons.

However, I don't think he was much of an X and O type of coach. He wasn't a perfect coach by any means. He was out coached in quite a few big games and the reason he did win a championship was he finally let his coordinators do their job that year and that enabled us to out coach our opponents. Other years it seemed like his testicles shrunk up inside him and we would play that "turtle" ball type of game which is hard to win against the type of opponents you face in conference championship games or SBs.

I have to say Tomlin was not my choice for the head coaching job. However, I have liked him from the first time I heard him speak and I like him more every time I hear him. He holds his players, his coaching staff and himself accountable which is something I love about him. The players seem to respect him and want to play for him. He also is not a perfect coach and is the first one to admit it. After his first season he said that he had a lot to improve on. I think he has done that.

I give Tomlin a lot of credit for the job he has done. Not as much credit as Cowher because he hasn't been around that long but I think he has done a good enough job to get a contract extension of 4 or 5 years. Of course all this is JMHO.

Very well said. The one point that is made against Tomlin that I think holds a bit of water still is the Switzer effect. It is of course possible that he will turn out to be a Switzer. But when you look at how many coaches come and go in this league without taking a team to the SB, it only makes sense for FO to lock the guy up for a few years if they don't see any warning signs that he made not work out in the long run.

NC Steeler Fan
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Sorry to bust your little pink bubble but I started hunting when I was 12 years old.

I just realized that sport meant something that was competitive and difficult. Let's see high powered rifle that will shoot 600 yards plus. High powered optics so the target looks like it is 20 yards away. Multi round magazine just in case you aren't really that good a shot. I'd cut you a break if you had at least tried with open sights but I guess girls just aren't that good a shot :stirpot

Be honest. Until deer start wearing flack jackets and can plant anti-personnel mines and claymores along your path to deer stands it is hardly a sport.
:wink:

Hey, I'm not the one hung up on defining it as a sport! :lol:

It is a common distraction thrown at me when I bring up the subject among
non-hunting men though... :wink:

P.S. I'm getting pretty good at consistently turning the heart into a gelatinous mass. 8) Following blood trails is for rookies...and for when bowhunting is the only option.

eniparadoxgma
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM

I seem to remember you consistently moving the goal posts in reference to whether or not you'd "give Tomlin the benefit of the doubt". Weren't you supposed to have been alright with him and admitted he was a good coach after the Super Bowl?

I thought I remembered that...

...but I might just be confusing that with "what any sane person would think". :stirpot

Iron Shiek
10-07-2009, 10:55 PM
WTF!? How did I miss this thread. It took forever to read, and yes I read everything. What a range of topics.

All I can say is I definitely agree with enip and his last post. But frankly, I don't give a $hit about it either way. I enjoy reading everything here, and if its really outrageous I laugh at it. Simple.

As for the Steeler related discussion points. I have a hard time agreeing with anyone that believes Tomlin is or partially resembles Switzer and that situation. Utterly preposterous. That dude sat back, rolled the ball out and watched the team win him a ring. Tomlin seems just a tad bit more engaged, just a tad. Much more of a leader than Switzer ever was. I don't buy any statements saying Tomlin is not a good coach. Sure he has some poor moments, nobody is perfect all the time. He is still a fairly new to this, but now the level of expectation has to be higher with the Super Bowl win under his belt. So I fervently expect those "bad coaching" decisions or whatever you want to call them to be fewer and farther between. Leadership and motivation wise however, I see him as Cowher's equal...already. Yes, I just said that. :)

NC Steeler Fan
10-08-2009, 09:26 AM
You know, win or lose, mistake-prone from time-to-time (being human) or genius, if I ever have to wonder if Tomlin has the respect of key members of his team as a leader and someone to trust, I just have to remember that pic of Tomlin and Ben on the sideline. The one with Tomlin standing and Ben kneeling on one leg and holding Tomlin's hand as they watched the final moments of the game wind down.

Some people might think that was "soft"...but I saw confidence and a bond of trust no matter what happens.

That's a huge part of being a good coach too.

eniparadoxgma
10-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Two words:

Overpaid janitor. :mrgreen: