PDA

View Full Version : picking nits

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I am usually the optimist when it comes to the Steelers, and I hate second guessing, because the gameplan was really good last night and execited to perfection. But I have a couple of coaching decision questions

1:40 left in the fourth and third and 6 or so . . .

How do you not run the ball and control the clock, settling for a <40 yard field goal and a 10 point lead. Clock runs down to under a minute. San Diego can't stop it. We run out of the shutgun, end up with a holding call and a tougher field goal. We're forced to pass on third and 14 to gain some yardage to get back into field goal range. If incomplete, clock stops and we have to punt and gove the ball back with ove a minute to go. Just a head scratcher.

even worse, how do we not have the hands team on the field for what was pretty obviously a onside kick with 5+ minutes to play after the Gates TD. Just not sound football.

I'm not second-guessing here, but I was curious about both of the coaching decisions. Curious to hear some other viewpoints.

snarky
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
agree completely.

Not only that, we ended up on the wrong hash-mark. I mean sure NFL kickers are professionals, but it is easier to hit that FG from the left hash than the right.

MaxAMillion
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I think Tomlin would have been heavily criticized for playing for a FG and running the ball (especially if Reed had missed it). Tomlin has received a lot of blame for playing it safe in the 4th quarter. He tries to end the game by getting a first down and there are still questions because it didn't work.

I was hoping he would go for the first down because I had no confidence that the defense could stop the Chargers in the 4th quarter. Even if there was less than a minute on the clock.

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I think Tomlin would have been heavily criticized for playing for a FG and running the ball (especially if Reed had missed it). Tomlin has received a lot of blame for playing it safe in the 4th quarter. He tries to end the game by getting a first down and there are still questions because it didn't work.

I was hoping he would go for the first down because I had no confidence that the defense could stop the Chargers in the 4th quarter. Even if there was less than a minute on the clock.

Totally understand what you ae saying, Max. But to me, there are different answers for different moments of the game. It was a short field goal, and the Chargers were out of time outs. You have to assume he is going to make the field goal. Hell, I would have rather seen a handoff out of the shotgun, Either way, you keep the clock running. I'm not second guessing, just asking the question. We won the game, and that's all that mattered. We shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I am usually the optimist when it comes to the Steelers, and I hate second guessing, because the gameplan was really good last night and execited to perfection. But I have a couple of coaching decision questions

How do you not run the ball and control the clock, settling for a <40 yard field goal and a 10 point lead. Clock runs down to under a minute. San Diego can't stop it. We run out of the shutgun, end up with a holding call and a tougher field goal. We're forced to pass on third and 14 to gain some yardage to get back into field goal range. If incomplete, clock stops and we have to punt and gove the ball back with ove a minute to go. Just a head scratcher.

even worse, how do we not have the hands team on the field for what was pretty obviously a onside kick with 5+ minutes to play after the Gates TD. Just not sound football.

I'm not second-guessing here, but I was curious about both of the coaching decisions. Curious to hear some other viewpoints.

I agree with all but your first point, i did not want to kick reed at all (lucky i was not coaching) i thought if he missed from 40 or wherever than the chargers have great field position, i like how they had ben go for the first down with 1:40 left, it did not work out and lucky we got the holding call bc we picked up a bunch of yds on 3rd and 19, thats just my thinking though, go with what got you there and mendy was great but i think ben was the man last night...

Flasteel
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM

I thought it was the perfect call for the situation. There's no way I play for a 52-yard FG..especially with that much time on the clock (it was 3rd and 19 from their 35 yard line). Our defense would not have stopped them if they took over outside their own 40 following a miss. I would have rather taken a sack or a holding penalty and punted, than attempt a FG anywhere in the vicinity of 50 yards. A high percentage pass to attack the sticks or at least move us into a better FG try was the way to go there.

The hands team issue? Well, that's a different story and is really inexcusable.

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 03:03 PM

I thought it was the perfect call for the situation. There's no way I play for a 52-yard FG..especially with that much time on the clock (it was 3rd and 19 from their 35 yard line). Our defense would not have stopped them if they took over outside their own 40 following a miss. I would have rather taken a sack or a holding penalty and punted, than attempt a FG anywhere in the vicinity of 50 yards. A high percentage pass to attack the sticks or at least move us into a better FG try was the way to go there.

I agree with what you say, but I was talking about running on 3rd and 6, not 3rd and 19. The pass play call actually led the the holding, which put us in third and long, and we then had to pass to get back into field goal range. Time management was put at risk with th epass on third and 6.

Flasteel
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM

I agree with what you say, but I was talking about running on 3rd and 6, not 3rd and 19. The pass play call actually led the the holding, which put us in third and long, and we then had to pass to get back into field goal range. Time management was put at risk with th epass on third and 6.

Doh!! :HeadBanger

Sorry PP, I guess I didn't think that one through very well. Your point becomes much more valid now. :D

I still like putting the game in the hands of Roethlisberger; it's just unfortunate that it wound up in the violating hands of Kemo...who was a monster last night. A first down would have sealed the game without having to worry about the myriad problems coming from a FG still over 40 yards. I think Roethlisberger and the O-line were money all night and justified the play call in going for the kill shot.

frankthetank1
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
that onside kick debacle was absolutely embarrassing. hope that never happens again

Starlifter
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
agree completely.

Not only that, we ended up on the wrong hash-mark. I mean sure NFL kickers are professionals, but it is easier to hit that FG from the left hash than the right.

the 3 that reed have missed have been hooked left. i was glad we were on the right hashmark.

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
agree completely.

the 3 that reed have missed have been hooked left. i was glad we were on the right hashmark.

Skippy pounded it straight and perfect. No more worries about him.

skyhawk
10-05-2009, 06:27 PM

A total BS holding call.

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 08:03 PM

A total BS holding call.

Honestly, i didn't even see the holding call, i was more mad at the play call which led to the holding call. The fact we passed on that down put us in a bad position.
Of course, if we had gotten the first down, game over, and I yell, GREAT CALL!!! :lol: