PDA

View Full Version : qb rating???

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
i know 158.3 is perfect, but how does Big Ben go 26-32- 333 yds 2 td 0 int and not have a perfect rating, it just boggles my mind, i have seen perfect rated games in the past but have no idea how that game last night was not rated a 158.3....

LouSteel
10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
It's all in the math. To get a 158.3, you need:

A completion percentage of at least 77.5%. Ben had an 81%.
Zero interceptions. Check. :)
At most 8.42 attempts per touchdown. Ben used 16 attempts per each touchdown
12.5 YPA. Ben: 10.

So he's close, but not close enough for that beast of a formula to give him a perfect rating.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 11:01 AM

So he's close, but not close enough for that beast of a formula to give him a perfect rating.

where did you find that...i just wish it was as simple to figure out as and ERA in baseball, earned runs times 9 divided by innings pitched...

steelblood
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
i know 158.3 is perfect, but how does Big Ben go 26-32- 333 yds 2 td 0 int and not have a perfect rating, it just boggles my mind, i have seen perfect rated games in the past but have no idea how that game last night was not rated a 158.3....

Another TD pass or two would have done it.

What amazes me about the game was that Ben completed 75% of his pass and had like 3-4 really bad drops. He should have been 85-90%.

ikestops85
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Another TD pass or two would have done it.

What amazes me about the game was that Ben completed 75% of his pass and had like 3-4 really bad drops. He should have been 85-90%.

and he's had those types of drops in every game which is getting really frustrating.

Steelgal
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
What's even sadder is Ben's great game isn't even being talked about much today. It's all the Favre/Packer hype and Ray Lewis comments. Throw in a bit about Sanchez struggling and that's all I'm hearing :HeadBanger

steelblood
10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
What's even sadder is Ben's great game isn't even being talked about much today. It's all the Favre/Packer hype and Ray Lewis comments. Throw in a bit about Sanchez struggling and that's all I'm hearing :HeadBanger

I think Ben is third in the NFL in passing yards. Unreal.

proudpittsburgher
10-05-2009, 12:09 PM

This offense is on the cusp of really breaking out. Ben looks unreal out there right now, and Tone hasn't even stepped up yet. A lot of bad drops from him. Hines looks like he is back in business, Heath is dependable as always, Moore is money out of the backfield as a dump off and the offensive line looked red hot last night. I know the Chargers front four are banged up, but if we get half that performance out of the line, and start hitting the big play with Tone/Wallace, look out Loretta

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
right now ben is playing at the top of his game, last week at cincy he was good, the bear game he was really good other than that pic, i could care less what people rank him, he is the best qb i see, manning and he are in complete control and know what they are doing....

frankthetank1
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM

and first in completion percentage. ben is simply amazing and is a top 3 qb. im glad that ben doesnt get his due. just like hines i bet he needs that for a little extra motivation

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM

and first in completion percentage. ben is simply amazing and is a top 3 qb. im glad that ben doesnt get his due. just like hines i bet he needs that for a little extra motivation

why would they their due, what have they won, nothing, romo, t.o., brees, vick and all the other superstars deserve all the respect and attention, they are the true winner... :Blah ...it makes me laugh when collinsworth tried making a case that big ben is a top qb...i was like ummm wow your getting paid to make that analysis..

NWNewell
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM

The ratting is not all encompassing and perfect, so don't put too much stock in it. A good tool though. It doesn't account for sacks or flexibility in the red zone. The fact that we could throw to move the ball, then power it in on the ground (like the first drive) actually would hurt Ben because he has several attempts without a TD. And the fact that Moore through the TD instead of Ben, actually hurt his rating because, again he has more attempts without a TD. But it also doesn't take into account things like sacks that are the QB's fault either, and terrible dropped balls.

Ben pretty much was perfect (not counting the sacks, of which at least two were his fault). You take back the 3 dropped balls and have him throw the TD pass instead of Moore, and it's a perfect rating.

NW Steeler
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
You all seem to forget that Ben is just a game manager, that he is not the kind of QB that can sling it 30+ times a game...blah blah blah. Funny how the talking heads don't EVER say that anymore.

:moon

NorthCoast
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM

This offense is on the cusp of really breaking out. Ben looks unreal out there right now, and Tone hasn't even stepped up yet. A lot of bad drops from him. Hines looks like he is back in business, Heath is dependable as always, Moore is money out of the backfield as a dump off and the offensive line looked red hot last night. I know the Chargers front four are banged up, but if we get half that performance out of the line, and start hitting the big play with Tone/Wallace, look out Loretta

Really been bothered by Tone's drops the last few games. He is getting into one of the funks again like last season where he disappeared for a few games at a time. I wonder if it is a case where he is doubled so often that he just isn't getting the looks. He seems like a streaky receiver at times. Maybe they need to figure out how to get him some short slants more often....something to just get him in the game.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Really been bothered by Tone's drops the last few games. He is getting into one of the funks again like last season where he disappeared for a few games at a time. I wonder if it is a case where he is doubled so often that he just isn't getting the looks. He seems like a streaky receiver at times. Maybe they need to figure out how to get him some short slants more often....something to just get him in the game.

i agree, he made a living of those in the playoffs both the jax wild card game and obviously his big plays last year, give him a reverse or something just do something to keep him in it, its a shame that he is not in it to begin with though

LouSteel
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM

where did you find that...i just wish it was as simple to figure out as and ERA in baseball, earned runs times 9 divided by innings pitched...

Sorry man, I was at work and just saw this post.

You can see the formula at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

It's a big ol' grizzly bear of a formula, to say the least. But at least they tell you what you must do for a perfect 158.3 (and for a 0.0 :lol: )

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Ben leads the league in completion percentage (73.2) and is second in yards per attempt (8.4).

Peyton leads the league in yards per attempt (9.8) and is second in completion percentage (70.8).

Completing over 73% of his passes on the season (in spite of numerous drops...I believe Holmes had 3 drops coming into last night's game, then he had another drop on a screen pass yesterday, plus Hines dropped a couple last night, and of course there is Sweed's now infamous drop) is undeniably impressive, especially considering that he is 2nd in the league in the all-important YPA stat with 8.4 yards per passing attempt. If we get a running game like we had last night on a consistent basis, this offense can be scary-good, especially since the o-line does not appear to be the weak link that it once was.

papillon
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
You all seem to forget that Ben is just a game manager, that he is not the kind of QB that can sling it 30+ times a game...blah blah blah. Funny how the talking heads don't EVER say that anymore.

:moon

The talking heads are actually taking the following advice and that is as follows, don't say anything and let people think you're an idiot rather than open your mouth and prove it. :wink:

Pappy

JTP53609
10-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Sorry man, I was at work and just saw this post.

You can see the formula at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

It's a big ol' grizzly bear of a formula, to say the least. But at least they tell you what you must do for a perfect 158.3 (and for a 0.0 :lol: )

wow, that is ridiculous, you get punished basically if you lead your team down the field and run the ball in the endzone, i wish they could make 100.0 a perfect rating, that would make sense though....thanks for the link