PDA

View Full Version : How Is This A TD?

Slapstick
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81329966/NFL-GameDay-Titans-vs-Jaguars-highlights)

Take a look at the 1:25 mark...

That's a TD? And Sweed gets benched for dropping the ball?

Either both are TDs or neither...be consistent, NFL!!!

Mister Pittsburgh
10-05-2009, 01:23 AM
After watching that I would say that is a catch before Sweeds. Sweed didn't have control of the ball as long as that dude did.

D Rock
10-05-2009, 01:27 AM
and Louis Murphy's was definitely a catch too. It's out of control with how much the league tries to define every aspect of the game now and that all they are doing is causing controversy and problems for themselves.

This kind of stuff was an issue 10 years ago. Why does it need to be today? Things worked fine then so turn back the clock and clean up the game.

ANPSTEEL
10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
one key distinction

ball
control
two feet down
continuation...
ball comes out
one player drops it
the other has it stripped

that was a TD. the player didn't drop the ball- the ball came out as result of the contact with the defender- after the receiver had already established control in the end zone.

Sweed's was not. He dropped the ball.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 07:28 AM
all i know is sweeds was not a td, clearly lost control of it, i hope he gets some PT, bc if he gets confidence and starts catching than he has all the tools

Northern_Blitz
10-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't think that should have been a TD. He didn't maintain control to the ground.

The only possible difference I see is this:

- Sweed dove to the ground with no contact. The diving is part of the act of catching the ball, so he needs to maintain posession.

- Here, he had posession before he was tackled, so the TD happened before the hit. Maybe then he doesn't need to maintain posession???

Ultimately, I think the refs screwed up the replay. I think all replays should be judged centrally by the league (perhaps the only thing the NHL does right). Then they'd be more consistant.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Should not have been a TD. Maintain control throughout. The simplified rule is basicly, "You need to be able to stand up and hand the ball to the official!" Hope they review this one on NFL network with the head of officiating. He was never down on the play with posession of the ball. He should have maintained control after he fell of the defender and hit the ground. I believe that is part of the "going to the ground" rule. Sweed's wasn't a TD and neither was this one.

aggiebones
10-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Sweed is benched cause he has done many things wrong and very few right on game day.

Must be a 3 second rule or something.
If you keep possession for a few seconds and aren't falling, it doesn't matter if you drop it.
If you are falling down, then you must complete the fall down and hold on.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Again, the rule OUGHT to be to maintain control throughout. Neither this non-catch, nor Sweed's, should count as touchdowns.

NWNewell
10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
No catch.

He may have had two feet down, but he did not make a "football move" and was being tackled, therefore he has to maintain control (being striped or not) all the way down to the ground. If a player is laying on top of another player, he is not yet down (a la Lewis's strip last night). Therefore, when he landed on top of the Titan player, he was STILL in the process of coming down to the ground, and that was when he was striped.

You need consistency. Can't say Lewis's knee was not down because it was on another palyer's leg, yet say that guy caught the ball because he maintained control until he landed on the Titan player.

Bad call, plain and simple.

Slapstick
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
There is no proscribed length of time that determines a catch...there is no rule that judges receptions differently if the ball is stripped as opposed to dropped...

Either Sweed got screwed or the Titans did...

Starlifter
10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
i'm not gonna defend the officials cause i think they demonstrate inconsistency week in and week out. having said that when i watched sweeds play in real time - i screamed 'he dropped the ball!!!!'.