PDA

View Full Version : Ben, Rashard, the Offensive Line, and...

Flasteel
10-04-2009, 11:56 PM
....Arians.

That's right, Bruce friggin' Arians.

You can talk about the execution all you want (and there was plenty to talk about) but that was the best game Arians has ever coached as our OC. What a perfect job of not just balancing the run and the pass but setting the run up beautifully with the passing game. When the game tightened he threw turtle ball out the window and pressed down hard on the accelerator. I may be suffering from a touch of inebriation however I could have sworn that I actually saw some misdirection...twice!

Wait a minute...I think I also remember Heath Miller being utilized as a red zone target and one toss was on a halfback option!

Was that Legursky in at fullback on the goal line?!!

Holy crap, I must be dreaming.

To all you Arians apologists, this is what it looks like when execution meets great play-calling. I hope you all finally see what a difference it makes.

All that said, Arians has got to share his game ball with Ben, Rashard, and the line tonight. What an unbelievable job by all of them. This offensive line has been maligned, but they have improved with every single game.

I guess this is also what it looks like when good protection and a running game meet our franchise quarterback.

I thought that Harrison's sack and fumble to end it allowed the defense to at least walk off the field without having to search for their heads inside their collective anal cavities. Hopefully the return of Troy will get our mojo back, but this defensive effort leaves me a little troubled.

Great F'n win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tt2 :Boobs :tt2 :Boobs

DukieBoy
10-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah, credit Arians tonight. Great strategic playcalling tonight.

Great execution probably won't save the day for bad strategy, but great strategy overcame a modest amount of small execution problems on offense tonight. It was great to see what our O did tonight.

That said, I think we would have lost if we went TurtleBall on offense tonight. The fact that we kept playing to our offensive strengths won the day evey after our D and ST's laid a dozen eggs in the 4th qtr.

D Rock
10-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, credit Arians tonight. Great strategic playcalling tonight.

Great execution probably won't save the day for bad strategy, but great strategy overcame a modest amount of small execution problems on offense tonight. It was great to see what our O did tonight.

That said, I think we would have lost if we went TurtleBall on offense tonight. The fact that we kept playing to our offensive strengths won the day evey after our D and ST's laid a dozen eggs in the 4th qtr.

exactly. If the O doesn't keep on them and score a late touchdown, the that's a tie game near the end of the 4th. We need to offense to win shootouts right now. Hopefully that ends when Troy returns.

DukieBoy
10-05-2009, 12:21 AM
And another game ball candidate is Mewelde Moore. One rec TD (excellent RAC) and a passing TD excellent throw. And some other quality plays.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 07:41 AM
we played outstanding this week, and i was guilty last week for saying that we did not go for the kill, but when i think of it, tomlin went for it on 4th and 4, we took a shot at sweed down field, we went deep to wallace, we actually did play for the kill last week, guess what turned out to hurt us, .....the defense, i am as shocked as all of you

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Good job by Arians...I agree 100%. Like some of the new wrinkles. Give credit to whomever changed the startegy of continuing to pile it on. Won the game for us. This OL is growing baby! I have some different keys I watch because of experience. I loved some of the switches done in play by feel. Some of you might not know what I am talking about. But during the play when Hartwig comes off his block to pass to Essex, kemo passes to Hartwig, and Kemo picks up outside...That is harmony baby! Or...many of them knowing enough to come off to inside protetction and leave that guy to the HB or Ben. Beautifully done. That isn't stuff that is known at the snap ladies & gentlemen...That is the "feel"...the "chemistry" of an OL starting to gel together. That is decisions made "on-the-fly" and there is no way to simulate that in practice or drills. It is just something the OL as a unit needs to develop at game speed. Max is just eating up the edge rushers. These guys are not getting into his body because of his reach and he is just stoning the bull rushers. Kemo has come full circle in his run blocking. He really is coming in under control on his traps and pulls. Making good contact and really taking the guy out of the play. Hartwig is the "field general" we need. I don't know if some of you had your TV up loud enough but he was changing the pass protect pre-snap and it was the right call. Nice...

SidSmythe
10-05-2009, 09:26 AM
You people can't be serious
This was all about execution, not play calling!!

If you ask me, it was nothing different, just great blocking, great running and Ben doing his thing.

Northern_Blitz
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM

I think it's sad that we can't trust our D (maybe the best ever last year) to hold a 28 point lead in the 4th qtr. I've got a feeling I'm going to have alot of anxious moments this year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
You people can't be serious
This was all about execution, not play calling!!

If you ask me, it was nothing different, just great blocking, great running and Ben doing his thing.

The plays come from the sideline. The audibles are limited to the personnel package, down & distance, and play called. That being said...Ben doesn't call for 3 wide & shotgun from the sideline when the Steelers are up by 3 TDs. There is someone calling the personnell while the official resets the ball. That's Arians. Execution on a countertrap in the 6 hole...Against an 8 man front...Up by 10 points...Was done to perfection (For what was expected) in the previous 2 games we lost. The difference this game was that play wasn't called in the same situation. It was 3 wide, Ben in the shotgun, and the defense sucking wind. And when the defense had trouble hearing the play call in the huddle because they were all breathing so heavy and their hands were on their hips trying to open up the air ways....Arians then called a run play and pancakes were served for 11!!!

Djfan
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
As one of the biggest critics of BA, I can say that I feel he called a game that focused on our strengths, the Charger's weaknesses, and put us in a position to win.

BIG thumbs up for BA this week. If he keeps it up, I am a convert.

Steeler Mafia
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM
As one of the biggest critics of BA, I can say that I feel he called a game that focused on our strengths, the Charger's weaknesses, and put us in a position to win.

BIG thumbs up for BA this week. If he keeps it up, I am a convert.

:Agree

BA did not play conservative football last night. They went for the throat. I, myself, have been a harsh critic of BA over the last two years, but if this is a sign of things to come for this team, call me a convert as well.

LIGHT UP THAT SCOREBOARD BOYS! LEAVE NO DOUBT!

On another note, the O-line and Mendenhall were absolute beasts. This is what I have been looking for from them for a long time. WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH BOYS!

IT IS TIME TO KICK A$$ and CHEW BUBBLE GUM! (and we are all out of Bubble Gum)
:tt2 :tt2 :Beer :tt2 :tt2

Jooser
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I'd share my Legursky story, but yinz would only make fun! :lol:

ikestops85
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
You have to give credit where credit is due and BA deserves it this week. Sure, execution goes a long way to making the OC look good but it was obvious he was doing things differently this week. What is funny and scary at the same time is he was doing things many on this board have been calling for for some time now.

Kudos to the offensive line ... they have gone from horrible to dare I say it -- GOOD!

BradshawsHairdresser
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Hopefully this is the new BA philosophy: score as many points as you can. Because you sure can't count on our defense any longer to hold a lead. As bad as BA was in the previous two games, he was that good vs. the Chargers. Yes, the offensive players did a fine job of executing, but, unlike the past couple of weeks, BA's playcalling this time put them in position to be successful. I'd give him a game ball.

Is there anything that takes a little of the thrill off this offensive performance? Well, we've run well against the Chargers in our recent history, and they were without a few key defensive players. Still, this was a good confidence-building game for our O-line and for
Mendenhall. Tomlin might want to consider making Mendy the primary back, and using Parker as a change-up.